• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kiryu Kazuma: The Dragon Of Dojima

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Ok decided to make an entire spirit board for the Yakuza series. I tried to cap the number at 12 spirits including Kiryu, so there were some character omissions I had to make.
Kazuma Kiryu (Fighter Spirit)

Goro Majima
Fighter: :ultwolf: (Orange alt)
Type: Balanced
Stage: Kamurocho
Battle Conditions: 1. Baseball bats appear in large quantities.
2. The Enemy is very fast and can't stop quickly.
3. The enemy can unleash powerful critical hits at random.

Goro Majima (Mad Dog)
Enhanced Spirit
★★★★

Taiga Saejima
Fighter: :ultincineroar: (white alt.)
Type: Grappler
Battle Conditions: 1. The enemy has super armor and is hard to launch or make flinch
2. The enemy favors throws

Shun Akiyama
Fighter: :ultfalco: (Red Alt.)
Type: Defense
Battle Conditions: 1. The Enemy favors aerial attacks
2. The enemies' kicks have increased power.

Haruka Sawamura
Fighter: :ultisabelle: (Grey alt)
Type: Support
Stage: Tomodachi Life
Battle Conditions: 1. The enemy avoids conflict.
2. Reinforcement (Kiryu) will appear during the battle.

Haruka Sawamura (Adult)
Enchanced Spirit
Image URL (16).png

Ichiban Kasuga
Fighter: :ulthero: (Erdrick alt)/ If Hero DLC not purchased:ultswordfighter: (Business suit)
Type: Attack
Stage: Yggdrasil altar/ Find Mii if Hero DLC is not purchased
Battle Conditions: 1. Take your strongest team into this no-frills battle!

Akira Nishikiyama
Fighter: :ultken: (white alt)
Stage: Prism Tower (Top of tower portion)
Battle Conditions: 1. Stamina Battle
2. Bob-ombs will rain from the sky

Daigo Dojima
Fighter: :ultdoc: (Black Alt)
Battle Conditions: 1. Defeat an army of fighters (:ultbrawler:)

Ryuji Goda
Fighter: :ultganondorf: (Brown alt)
Type: Attack
Battle Conditions: 1. The enemy's melee weapons have increased power.
2.The enemy starts the battle with an enhanced Killing Edge item.

Makoto Makimura
Fighter: :ultpeach:
Battle Conditions: 1. The stage is covered in fog.
2. Reinforcement (:ultwolf:) will appear during the battle.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I have a funny headcanon in my head. If Kiryu were to get in Smash, and he meets the Master Hand, Master Hand’s title name would probably say: “Master Hand, CEO of the Smash Bros. tournament.” Y’all know what I mean? The grey background for a character in the Yakuza games shows their title names. Like Goro Majima, for example in Yakuza Kiwami where he got his umbrella.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Guys, I have a funny headcanon in my head. If Kiryu were to get in Smash, and he meets the Master Hand, Master Hand’s title name would probably say: “Master Hand, CEO of the Smash Bros. tournament.” Y’all know what I mean? The grey background for a character in the Yakuza games shows their title names. Like Goro Majima, for example in Yakuza Kiwami where he got his umbrella.
I know what you’re talking about
FCF179C9-E0B8-4563-AAC2-42A7F5507D91.jpeg

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
If we ever get Kiryu in Smash, his classic mode boss will most likely be Rathalos.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So I decided to make a series symbol for Yakuza if Kiryu was in Smash. It's based on the Enso symbol that appears behind the logo, I couldn't find an actual cutout of the exact symbol, so I had to make it myself.

Image URL (18).png

- - - - - -
Besides Terry, all the other DLC characters have gotten around 11 songs. If we had to narrow it down to 11 songs from the entire Yakuza series, which would y'all go with?

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
So I decided to make a series symbol for Yakuza if Kiryu was in Smash. It's based on the Enso symbol that appears behind the logo, I couldn't find an actual cutout of the exact symbol, so I had to make it myself.

View attachment 265236

- - - - - -
Besides Terry, all the other DLC characters have gotten around 11 songs. If we had to narrow it down to 11 songs from the entire Yakuza series, which would y'all go with?
Tbh, I think that Yakuza may have the same songs as Terry. Having A LOT!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

View attachment 265236

- - - - - -
I mean, Funk Goes On is an obvious one. I'd suggest the Kiryu and Majima battle themes from Dead Souls as well.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

View attachment 265236

- - - - - -
If I had to narrow down Kiryu's song list to just 11, here's what I'd pick:
  1. Addiction Medley (Yakuza 0, combines the themes of all Kiryu's fighting styles)*
  2. Trouble Shooting Star (Yakuza 0)
  3. Ultimate Road Rage (Yakuza 0)
  4. Pledge of Demon (Yakuza 0)
  5. Judgement (Yakuza 0)
  6. Receive You (Yakuza)*
  7. Funk Goes On (Yakuza)
  8. Flirt With Bomb (Yakuza Kiwami)
  9. The Wicked (Yakuza Kiwami)
  10. Outlaw's Lullaby (Yakuza 2)
  11. Bakamitai (Yakuza 5)*
*new remixes

Sorry if this list is very 0/Kiwami centered, I imagine most of the Yakuza content will be focused on those games since those are the ones that are being ported everywhere and are attributed to the series' western success. If I wasn't limited to just 11 songs the list would be much larger lol.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
If I had to narrow down Kiryu's song list to just 11, here's what I'd pick:
Sorry if this list is very 0/Kiwami centered, I imagine most of the Yakuza content will be focused on those games since those are the ones that are being ported everywhere and are attributed to the series' western success. If I wasn't limited to just 11 songs the list would be much larger lol.
That’s a really good list, all of them would be great to fight to. I also really like the choices for new remixes, combining all the fighting themes together is ingenious too.

Yeah hopefully we can get more than 11 songs, but I trying to gauge what songs would be the most necessary if we only have a few music slots.

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
Id honestly LOVE a smash remix of Bakamitai

But Kiryu would be great in smash! He's not my top SEGA choice but I'd love to see him

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I would assume they would try to stick at least 1 song per game.
I wouldn't really mind as long as we got trouble shooting star. That's one of the best battle themes ever.

Id honestly LOVE a smash remix of Bakamitai

But Kiryu would be great in smash! He's not my top SEGA choice but I'd love to see him
Bakamitai new remix, sung by the Persona 5 singer. Bam, perfect.

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
[QUOTE="Hadokeyblade Bakamitai new remix, sung by the Persona 5 singer. Bam, perfect.[/QUOTE]
Lyn singing that would be perfect!!

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
My biggest wish would be Two/Twin Dragons to make it in if Kiryu gets to be playable, id from Kiwami getting a remix would be cool too, and I feel a karaoke song is kinda neccesary to capture how silly Yakuza can be alongside its more blood pumping battle themes, whether it's a straight rip or some sort of rearrangement that mixes in the likes of Judgement and 24 hour cinderella, I'll leave it up to however decides these things on the Smash team.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Found the actual Yakuza symbol this time and made it into a series logo for smash.
Capture.PNG
- - -

Yeah Complete Domination should be a victory pose, I think Kiryu singing some Karaoke should be another.

What other ideas do you all have for Kiryu's victory poses and his taunts.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My dumbass just found out the 3, 4 and 5 remastered had a physical release. So now I own 3 digital when I could have bought all 3 physical.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I can't believe I still haven't posted in this thread yet but hell yeah I support Kiryu. Yakuza is one of my favorite beat em up franchises and I'd love to see Kiryu beat up everyone with a bike.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know I've posted in here before but after more time with Kiwami (and the tragic loss of Heihachi as the mystic brawler) I've decided Kiryu is definitely up there as one of my most-wanted. Even updated my signature to show it. He may be 51st on the Source Gaming poll (which is still pretty good) but he's much higher in our hearts.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do wonder, maybe Kiryu isn't considered among the likeliest characters to become DLC, but maybe a Mii Brawler costume could happen? Yakuza is pretty big in Japan if I'm not mistaken, Sega already has content in the game and we've seen many times by now that new costumes don't neccesarily have anything to do with the newest challenger pack.
Not the outcome I'd prefer obviously, but at this rate, there's some franchises I'd just be happy to see recognized in Ultimate before the end of it all should it come to the worst although it'd better have a karaoke song bundled should that happen.

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
So my only concern with Kiryu in Smash is (excluding CERO and PEGI) the ESRB. How would they react if they see Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Yakuza? Look, in PEGI, it’s okay, because the game is rated 12. In Japan, Yakuza’s official name is Ryu Ga Gotoku, which isn’t mature rated for a name.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So my only concern with Kiryu in Smash is (excluding CERO and PEGI) the ESRB. How would they react if they see Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Yakuza? Look, in PEGI, it’s okay, because the game is rated 12. In Japan, Yakuza’s official name is Ryu Ga Gotoku, which isn’t mature rated for a name.
They can just call it Like A Dragon, after the localisation for the 7th game. Easy-peasy.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Wait... Kiryu has his own thread? Never knew this, I'm a bit surprised lol. I don't think his chances are that high, but he has been my absolute pipe-dream from the start. So count me in as well!

This is a fair complaint, but yeah, they could easily just use alternative names.

The biggest hindrance for Kiryu is his sheer connection to the Japanese Mafia in my opinion. The games have been really popular in Japan as a dramatic Yakuza story. Yeah, Sakurai could always present Kiryu and everything RGG-related in a way where nothing Yakuza-related is even shown or talked about, so far as to not even talk about the plot or even simple things as Kiryu's back tattoo. Even then, this would be a near-impossible task just for the fact that the Yakuza culture is clearly significant on the core of this series. But Kiryu remains a Yakuza icon nonetheless, and I doubt Nintendo would want to put something related to actual organized-crime groups from their homeland in their smash-hit game.

As you can see from my profile picture, I'm a huge Yakuza fan. I've been playing these games for a long time now, they're the games that have also made me maintain my Japanese quite well, despite living in Europe. But honestly, I don't see Kiryu having that high of a chance.

Fortunately, miracles do exist. And honestly, this may not be so much of a problem as I think it may be. But well, at the end of the day, if Kiryu ever came to Smash, I'd be one happy man. So yeah, I'll be supporting this goofball even if he's against all odds.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Honestly can't wait for Kiryu from the Kiryu series to join Smash. He's my most wanted after Altaïr from the Altaïr series and Vault Boy from the Vault Boy series.

But for real, I could see Nintendo just going for "Like a Dragon" to match its Japanese name and potentially give Yakuza 7 some free publicity along the way. That is assuming Kiryu's relationship to the real-life Yakuza isn't seen as problematic by Nintendo. I could see that being a problem, but hopefully they'll be more lenient than we expect with the Yakuza references and that ends up being a non-issue.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
A bit surprised this thread is so small considering how big is Yakuza.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It's time. With Tekken out, Kiryu's the best brawler choice.

I haven't gotten far in Yakuza 0, but the fighting stances should definitely change his jab, grabs, throws, and dash attack. Keep the rest consistent, Not sure how heat could be implemented, but probably the basic Smashified "moves hit harder in knockback" shtick.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
It's time. With Tekken out, Kiryu's the best brawler choice.

I haven't gotten far in Yakuza 0, but the fighting stances should definitely change his jab, grabs, throws, and dash attack. Keep the rest consistent, Not sure how heat could be implemented, but probably the basic Smashified "moves hit harder in knockback" shtick.
I'd have no clue if they'd want to incorporate the fighting stances in Kiryu, seeing it was only a thing in both Yakuza 0 and Kiwami. Well, Yakuza Ishin and Judge Eyes had stances too, but those are spinoffs either way.

It'd be cool to see it, but it'd be a bit of a weird choice for me personally considering it didn't even appear in most mainline games. Most of Kiryu's moves will definitely have to derive from his classic moveset, they can build it from there on forward. However, Heat should definitely be implemented, those Heat Actions are a Yakuza classic. But yeah, I doubt Nintendo wants to see Mario's neck break, so I have no real idea how to implement it. Increased knockback seems like a good start.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'd have no clue if they'd want to incorporate the fighting stances in Kiryu, seeing it was only a thing in both Yakuza 0 and Kiwami. Well, Yakuza Ishin and Judge Eyes had stances too, but those are spinoffs either way.

It'd be cool to see it, but it'd be a bit of a weird choice for me personally considering it didn't even appear in most mainline games. Most of Kiryu's moves will definitely have to derive from his classic moveset, they can build it from there on forward. However, Heat should definitely be implemented, those Heat Actions are a Yakuza classic. But yeah, I doubt Nintendo wants to see Mario's neck break, so I have no real idea how to implement it. Increased knockback seems like a good start.
While I definitely understand where you're coming from, I think that the stance changes are super interesting and memorable. While I'm sure they'd mostly go with Heat moves and his classic moveset, I think there's nothing wrong with drawing from some more modern additions to the character especially when it would make for a really unique character in terms of Smash. We don't really have a manual stance-switcher outside of, like, I guess Shulk's weird buffs and now Min Min's arms. Maybe the Kiwami/Zero battle additions won't dominate his moveset but throwing in a few Beast or Rush moves wouldn't betray the character, I think.

I feel like Heat actions could be auto-combos, you build Heat through the match (lol another meter) and then when it's maxed out you can perform a command grab that will hit 'em with two big moves instead of just one.

More than anything, I want every move Kiryu hits to feel meaty, because that's one of the best parts of the games and we really don't have very many melee or rushdown fighters like him.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
While I definitely understand where you're coming from, I think that the stance changes are super interesting and memorable. While I'm sure they'd mostly go with Heat moves and his classic moveset, I think there's nothing wrong with drawing from some more modern additions to the character especially when it would make for a really unique character in terms of Smash. We don't really have a manual stance-switcher outside of, like, I guess Shulk's weird buffs and now Min Min's arms. Maybe the Kiwami/Zero battle additions won't dominate his moveset but throwing in a few Beast or Rush moves wouldn't betray the character, I think.

I feel like Heat actions could be auto-combos, you build Heat through the match (lol another meter) and then when it's maxed out you can perform a command grab that will hit 'em with two big moves instead of just one.

More than anything, I want every move Kiryu hits to feel meaty, because that's one of the best parts of the games and we really don't have very many melee or rushdown fighters like him.
Oh don't worry, I'm totally not against Kiryu having Rush or Beast moves along with his iconic Dragon moveset, I'd actually rather want the Smash team to take different moves from the different iterations of Kiryu and create a moveset from there. I just believe stance/weapon changes is a gimmick more suited for other potential characters. Dante, Monster Hunter or William Adams from Nioh for example. I just believe if Kiryu's gimmick were centered around the style change that only featured in 2 mainline games, instead of something that is more grounded in the Yakuza gameplay formula like the Heat mechanic, it'd just be a bit of bad representation of the series in my eyes. Again, I just see it as something more suited for other characters.

A creative approach, and the approach I think they'll take, is just take some moves from Beast, Rush and Brawler mode along with his Dragon moveset. For example, I can definitely see some of Kiryu's throws being from his Beast mode, while they can take a counter or the quicksteps as his dodge from his Rush mode (though I'd prefer if his counter were the iconic Tiger Drop lol) and some Brawler moves as tilts. But again, I just can't imagine him having 4 styles, all of them copy&pasted from Yakuza 0/Kiwami. So yeah, I definitely agree with you, drawing moves from some more modern additions is the way to go, but nothing that would dominate his entire playstyle. I definitely think him only having his classic moveset would be boring.

Kiryu should definitely feel like a meaty brawler. And I like your idea of the Heat gimmick, I can definitely see them getting implemented as very strong command-grabs.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I made a cool classic mode for Kiryu, his classic mode is called “Like a Dragon.” Here is who he is fighting. 1st is Wolf, a reference to Majima, 2nd is two Incineroars, a reference where Kiryu fought the two tigers, 3rd is Falco, a reference to Akiyama, 4th is Hero, a reference to Ichiban, 5th is Ken, a reference to Nishiki, and 6th is Ganondorf, a reference to Ryuji Goda. His classic mode boss is Rathalos and the song that is going to be played is “Two Dragons” from Yakuza 0. What y’all think?

Top Bottom