• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby throw combos: Escapees and Escape Counters

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EWKyT37KiY

Gonzo's ol' video...most Kirbys have seen it by now, and if they haven't, then they probably know about these throw combos anyway. In fact...most of the better Brawlers out there probably know about these throw combos.

However, this video is old (came out only a month after Brawl was released) and people have learned many things about the game since then. The point I am making with this thread is that fthrow->uair and Kirby's other throw combos are no longer true combos against many characters, for they have ways of easily escaping them.

However, I am here to list the ways they escape, and what YOU can do about it if you predict their escape.

I do not know everything, however, so I will need your help with input.

Keep in mind that some of these escapes and escape counters will become mindgames. I'll give you a simple example, that I am familiar with.

fthrow->uair -> regrab fthrow->uair easily works against Fox, Falco, and Wolf (and probably among other characters)
However, Fox and Wolf can use their down B Reflector after the first uair to damage you and get out of the combo. This attack comes out so quickly that you can't normally continue your combo.

What can you do about this? It's easy, just predict the Reflector coming, and shield it, and then grab. This way, you have continued your throw combo without taking any damage.
Here is where mindgames come in: if you know your opponent knows how to escape it, you must also be aware that he has the option of NOT escaping it.

So let's say on the first stock, you open up with this combo, you predict the reflector coming, you shield it and continue your combo. That's good. Later on, he's at 0% on his second stock. You do the same thing again, but this time, he does not use Reflector. You shield anyway, expecting this Reflector, and he has time to grab you, or escape. There, your combo just got interrupted.

That is the clearest example I can think of. Here are some other characters I can think of:

Marth: his Dolphin Slash comes out really, really, really fast. After either the fthrow or the uair (anyone know which one?) he can use his up B Dolphin Slash to hit you and escape the throw combo.
This escape counter is satisfying, because Marth pisses me off with his Kirby ownage, so reading his action and punishing it is a great feeling. All you have to do is this: say you are facing right when you are doing your combo. Chances are, he will be mashing up+B to escape it. All you have to do, is after the Fthrow, DI towards the left a little, so that his Dolphin Slash misses you completely. This move has huge ending lag, so it should be extremely easy for you to punish afterwards. You can hit him with pretty much anything. A grab->pummel->downthrow or a Grounded Hammer are probably your best options. Of course, the same problem exists with this as with Fox and Wolf: if you think he will Dolphin Slash, but he doesn't, you just interrupted your own combo, and he breaks free easily.

Mr. Game and Watch: after either the fthrow or the following up air, he can also use his Up B. I'm pretty sure this does no damage to you, but I could be wrong, and it could depend on your positioning. What usually happens is that he flies way up, and you fly up a little bit too. How can you counter this? I have nothing right now.

I know there are others, I just can't think of anything right now, and I have to wash dishes >_>

Hopefully you guys know a little more, or have ways to test these out completely, and post your results here :D

I'll update this post with all useful/semi useful finds!

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i'll look into it and see what i can find. yea, the combos can be escaped. looks like i'm gonna have to learn how i can do my retro combo with this interruptions at hand.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
for marth, im about 90% sure he wouldnt be able to escape until after the uair.

T_T

Smash Cadet
Snake can escape by dropping a granade right after the fthrow, causing the granade to explode and damage you both. If you see it comming just hold off the uair and regrab him during the granade lag.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Actually, the reflector doesn't come out fast enoughto interrupt it for any of the spacies for some reason (I tested it with a friend just mashing down B while I tried out Vermiis' combo a while back, so unless it requires a very specific timing, then they can't use it to get free.)

Also, Mario and Luigi can Nair you before you can regrab. In fact, Yoshi and I believe Shiek can Nair you as well.
Mario could probably UpB you as well.

If I remember correctly, Dolphin Slash hits you before you can Uair.

Charizard might also be able to UpB out, though I don't know.

ROB can just jump out if he DIs correctly.

Does anyone know if MK's Shuttle Loop can hit after the Uair?

Top Bottom