• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Kirby & The Amazing Cats

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Anyone wanna play Kirby dittos? After losing an online tourney in semis I suddenly want to get better. Add/PM me on Smashboards or add me on Steam and I'll play whenever

kalem333

Smash Rookie
I haven't liked playing Kirby this much since 64! Also, the unmasked metaknight skin is definitely my favorite, love the yellow eyes on dark blue.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So I just got this game in the mail yesterday, and I'm enjoying it. My deployment suddenly got better! I'll be experimenting and watching videos to get ready for the tourney scene when I get back to California. Hope I see some of you guys around!

And Kirby doesn't seem to have too many disjoints this time around, and his grab is way way shorter. But I can get used to it.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ So far I've been playing For Glory because I can't go to tournaments... it seems every time I pick Kirby people drop out in one match so I can't get match up analysis. T_T

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
☯ So far I've been playing For Glory because I can't go to tournaments... it seems every time I pick Kirby people drop out in one match so I can't get match up analysis. T_T
Ugh, I hate that so much. If you beat anybody ONCE with Kirby, they immediately quit. Maybe they're just embarrassed by getting destroyed by our tough pink puff. There's always those cool players who'll stay and try to learn the match-up themselves, though!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Hi Viper! I haven't had that experience, there are plenty of people who don't mind me kicking their butts repeatedly.
I played my first good Pac-man today. Got 2 stocked first game because I didn't know what to expect, then 2 stocked him most games after that :x protip: watch out for his side B, it kills stupidly early if you're both pretty high in the air.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Hi Viper! I haven't had that experience, there are plenty of people who don't mind me kicking their butts repeatedly.
I played my first good Pac-man today. Got 2 stocked first game because I didn't know what to expect, then 2 stocked him most games after that :x protip: watch out for his side B, it kills stupidly early if you're both pretty high in the air.
Ugh, when I fought my first Pac-Man, I got destroyed by that Side-B. His Copy Ability is really good, though. They're pretty easy after a while, since they're extremely predictable.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ I only played Pac-Man once and my first stock was gone from Side-B because I failed to gimp him though I did win the match though. XD

☯ So far my most repeated encounters have been Sheik, Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus, and Greninja.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
yay! much support to all Kirby players! I've been enjoying the game and doing well on most of my matches but encounter some major challenges here and there. I need to train even more! People should show their best replays. I'm sure others will find them useful.

Atomic_Shaymin

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1805-2353-7958
Came in 3rd in For Glory #3 with Kirby! It was a 82 person online tourney.
Unfortunately my replays got corrupted so I don't have any footage to show ;-;
Lost to a really good Shulk. Haven't gotten to face them much and he just came up and wrecked house.
He was really feelin it :4shulk:
Just thought I would share

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I think I just found an important tech: Invisible Post-game Kirby
So what happened is I was playing Kirby vs ZSS on Tortimer Island For Glory. I had the ZSS hair. I was knocked offscreen (past the right blast zone, so Kirby was in the magnifying glass) and then ZSS went offstage to edgeguard me, then fell down and died like a dumb. After it said GAME!, Kirby made it back into the screen's vision (I think I was doing a forward air at the time) but all I could see was a floating ZSS ponytail.

*spooky jingle goes here*

Then I watched the replay but it doesn't happen in the replay :| so I can't upload it.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I think I just found an important tech: Invisible Post-game Kirby
So what happened is I was playing Kirby vs ZSS on Tortimer Island For Glory. I had the ZSS hair. I was knocked offscreen (past the right blast zone, so Kirby was in the magnifying glass) and then ZSS went offstage to edgeguard me, then fell down and died like a dumb. After it said GAME!, Kirby made it back into the screen's vision (I think I was doing a forward air at the time) but all I could see was a floating ZSS ponytail.

*spooky jingle goes here*

Then I watched the replay but it doesn't happen in the replay :| so I can't upload it.
This has happened to me quite a few times - it'll show any Copy Ability hats you have, but Kirby's model will be invisible. It only happens if the GAME! while Kirby is in the magnifying glass bubble. One time, I didn't have a Copy Ability, and it rather showed the Final Cutter blade.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
So, played some co-op allstar with a friend earlier and he played as kirby, not sure how it happened but he somewhow turned invisible, that is until he did use down b and turned visible again later, since it was in allstart we couldnt get the replay (and pause was turned off, so no good oppoturnity to get a camera). Is this something thats happened to others on this board and can explain it, if its possible to do in a tournamentsetting it would be a cool gimmick.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Kirby turns invisible if he copies a character in All Star that is later defeated, as when it tries to unload Kirby's hat, it fails and removes his model. His model is restored after using Stone, though, as it's requested by the game once more.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Went to my first 3DS tourney on Saturday. It was smaller. Ended up just being a 13 man round robin. Didn't drop a set and got 1st. Off to a good start ;)

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Wish I knew anyone in this area to tourney and train with. I could use more knowledge. Especially of the advanced stuff. A Tourney might be fun too.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
My friend went into a fit of rage Saturday because I Kirbycided his Ike on his last stock at 0%... He refused to play with me on Sunday. :(

Raging Friend: **** move Ryan
Raging Friend: **** -move-
Raging Friend: like
Raging Friend: really
Raging Friend: did you have to do that

Another Friend: what did he even do
Raging Friend: take a guess
Another Friend: uh
GrnFzzTgr: It's a legit tactic
Another Friend: uhm
Another Friend: I
GrnFzzTgr: Kirbycide
Another Friend: Oh did you
Another Friend: eat him and jump off
Raging Friend: it's a legit tactic when it would be less frustrating for it to -happen-
GrnFzzTgr: yeah on his last stock
Raging Friend: ugh
Raging Friend: Ryan
Raging Friend: if you had done that when my damage was maybe in the 50s I'd be talking about it less
GrnFzzTgr: It's a legit tactic!

Raging Friend: legit tactic my ass
GrnFzzTgr: I'm going to use everything in kirby's moveset that I have access to
Raging Friend: I've already said
GrnFzzTgr: Why shouldn't I?
Raging Friend: I'd be less mad about it if you hadn't literally done that to me at 0%
I have no regrets.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ It reminds me how weird that Kirbycide work better than Dededeside even when Kirby has his power, lol.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
How so? You use a normal hammer on Little Mac's forward smash/B which has super armor.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah but that thing is a KO move (KOs Mac easily at around 100%) and does 19% damage. Plus, it's really slow to come out, requires you to get up close, and is only really for punishing careless use of Smash attacks and such.

Super Armour is described, in game, as being able to shrug off "weak attacks".

Hammer is not what you classify as a weak attack, and Little Mac more than deserved to be launched there since he let himself get hit in the first place by such a slow move (I was punishing him out of another attack, the player accidentally side smashed at the last second).

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Yeah but that thing is a KO move (KOs Mac easily at around 100%) and does 19% damage. Plus, it's really slow to come out, requires you to get up close, and is only really for punishing careless use of Smash attacks and such.

Super Armour is described, in game, as being able to shrug off "weak attacks".

Hammer is not what you classify as a weak attack, and Little Mac more than deserved to be launched there since he let himself get hit in the first place by such a slow move (I was punishing him out of another attack, the player accidentally side smashed at the last second).
Actually, Little Mac's F-Smash is immune to literally every attack. Go into Training Mode as Little Mac, give yourself 999%, place down a bunch of Smart Bombs, then fully charge a F-Smash on them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well in that case the game's description needs to be patched.

I still don't like that Little Mac can do that, but I can manage it with other characters. It's still really ridiculous though.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
in that thread
Kirbys:4kirby: downB: the rock seems to be able to absorb ~20 % damage. Once he goes above that number Kirby will take half the % the move would do that hits him out of it (he still receives normal knockback when hit out of it though)
Has anyone tested this? I remember in Brawl it was 30% and you took full knockback but not damage when broken out of Stone, but I haven't tested it in this game.

Btw I use Jumping Inhale and the Dolphin Slash upB when I play with customs :3 all the Side/Down Bs are pretty equally high risk so it doesn't really matter which you use, but the fact that the stones are slower is pretty bad. The meteor stone could be nice if people keep recovering from below, next to the stage, but it's also really easy to SD with because of the slow recovery. Ground spiking final cutter sucks badly, and ice breath sucks badly (heh)

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
For my customs I tend to go with default/jumping inhale, hammer bash and grounding stone. Grounding stone seems nice for building up damage or getting a hard hit in since you can come out of it immediately. The downside being you enter stone slower. I go with hammer bash because charging the hammer annoys me, especially if I do the wrong input.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
in that thread
Has anyone tested this? I remember in Brawl it was 30% and you took full knockback but not damage when broken out of Stone, but I haven't tested it in this game.

I dunno, I've had stone eat max aura aura spheres. I'm too lazy to test

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
If you have skype, there's a smashboards group that was started ont hese forums.. I've been playing a good greninja and villager player as well as a player who uses several characters but mains Ness and Meta Knight.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Don't trust that site @ GrnFzzTgr GrnFzzTgr . One, the tier list is a voting/popularity contest so its initially rigged. Two, Eventhubs does not even have its own smash forum, so what do they know. The "tier list/match up" is a click bait gimmick.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I don't really party attention to tier lists until at least six monthsmonths, was just curious on people thoughts here.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
In general do not rely in tiers at all until the Wii U release. Then we can start making some actual progress within the game. We're not gathering enough in the 3DS.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
In the end, I think Kirby's going to end up in the in lower-middle, or upper-lower or just mid/low tiers, depending on how they're done this time around.. I've tried to be optimistic, but so many match ups are uphill battles.

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Maybe so, but what would it mean anyways? Would kirby being whatever tier discourage you? Tiers are made not because who's the greatest, it's there because of how many advantages a character can take in match ups. The more advantages it has against each character, the higher he goes. That will make us think of doing more possible ways to take advantage of that specific character to make that list come to better accuracy, bit by bit. That what I think, at least.

It has nothing to do with who's great. To me, it's just a character that I need to take caution with.

Ehhh, random two cents here. This may be not what you're pointing out, actually. Just keep playing when you can. Most will just keep dodging on FG, which extremely bad habit to do in local but very effective online. Send videos here if you want so we can give you critiques on what and what not to do, and what you should've done.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Maybe so, but what would it mean anyways? Would kirby being whatever tier discourage you? Tiers are made not because who's the greatest, it's there because of how many advantages a character can take in match ups. The more advantages it has against each character, the higher he goes. That will make us think of doing more possible ways to take advantage of that specific character to make that list come to better accuracy, bit by bit. That what I think, at least.

It has nothing to do with who's great. To me, it's just a character that I need to take caution with.

Ehhh, random two cents here. This may be not what you're pointing out, actually. Just keep playing when you can. Most will just keep dodging on FG, which extremely bad habit to do in local but very effective online. Send videos here if you want so we can give you critiques on what and what not to do, and what you should've done.

I don't really play for glory that much anymore since its environment is just frustrating.

Top Bottom