• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby strategies

Joka

Smash Journeyman
Anyone got some good strategies I can use for Kirby? I'm one of those many Kirby-only players (to an extent), and I'm sorta good. SORT OF....

I need extra hints and tips.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Did the faq cover this or have a topic already been made on this?..I could have sworn I seen it before discussing this (Not a regular kirby board member)

KSUkid

Smash Apprentice
1st off, welcome to the boards. More people are (almost) always welcome.
2nd-ly, check the FAQs/Stickys, then the earlier pages of the Kirby General Discussion. Those should get you set fairly well off.

Then, if you have specific questions, those you can post here or in the Gen. Discussion thread.

Joka

Smash Journeyman
1st off, I'm not much of a new member
2nd, I just need some good tactics. I've been using Kirby's special moves a lot (e.g. Hammer and Stone), and now I'm going with melee moves mixed in (they help a lot). But I need some added tips. Especially against characters like Shiek, Link and Samus.

apple joos

Smash Cadet
try SHFFLing. use more arials and tilts. expecially F-tilt with an upward angle.

vinnieminnie

Smash Cadet
I don't know if these tactics are good... but they work for me...

I shieldgrab alot... and I always use down grab... I usually ^tilt after the grab and the I jump and try to hit the ^air...

I also like to jump above the enemy and the down tilt... when I hit the ground I do down smash before they can move again...

I also like to do the fence of pain alot:) I just back air them of the stadium... and then edgehog them:)

I also like to do >air if i'm not realy sure what to do...

I almost never use the b atacks... unless ganondorf misses a warlock punch... I always use my hammer in the kind of situations:)

I'm sure these tactics aren't to difficult to get out of... but I only play against comps and the friends I play against aren't good... I put my 2 friends in 1 team with a computer... and then the 3 of them battle against me.. and it isn't to weird if I 4 stock them... So I don't know if these tactics also work against your friends...

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
against Sheik:
Crouch. Your crouch avoids all of Sheiks nastiest attacks (tilts, grab, needles, fairs, etc.); It's been said that a good Kirby player can actually counter Sheik to an extent. This is because Kirby can easily punish her approaches with his downtilt (ground down+A).

against Link:
Avoid his projectiles by crouching, rolling and sidestepping. You can also float above them. Link's sword can be painful, but so can Kirby's tricks. Techchase Link with dthrow, when he starts to get wise to your attack, hit him with an uptilt and chain those to your heart's desire.

against Samus:
This one is tricky. Samus has missles that are easily evaded, but very perilous nonetheless. She can CC most if not all of your attacks for many%. Samus can recover from swallowcides if they shake out, her upB out of shield makes her a dangerous target for your aerials. You've got to approach above her dsmash with Bairs and Fairs.

Good luckzorz!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I've won many tournaments by spamming the above strategy.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I havent played kirby in a match yet, but i've played in some hard friendiles, so I actually have a "legit" strat, i think.

And my strat, surprisingly, is to be offensive heavy and space well.

Kirby's f.air and d.air are safe, so you can get in and follow it up with a d.tilt under shields, or you can follow it up to grabs. So if you stick your opponent for 1 stock and get a 1 stock lead, then you can slow-play and go for kirbicides if you want to.

FoPing is always an option, too. Just be mindful that you have the fence, therefore there's holes to this tactic.

Always be ready to CC an attack so you can free yourself to good attacks (obviously).

I actually think I play kirby too aggressively, but I dont play kirby seriously, so I have the luxuary of not having to worry about consequences.

Pariah

Smash Apprentice
What DogySamich said.

Kirby has to have pressure because Kirby suxxorz at getting KOs at 70% and below thanks to being nonMarth/Fox/Falco/Ganon-ish. It's hard to KO easily with Kirb, so that's why Kirby has like, swallowcides and teh mighty bair. Which I think qualifies as a sexkick, but I don't know because I don't play Mario.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Kirby's bair is extremely awesome. Everyone should know that you can use 2 per full-jump. If you quickly double jump your bair, you can waveland it.

Joka

Smash Journeyman
I must say, Kirby goes well with Melee attacks. You can dish out a lot of moves with him! Thansk to his speed.

Joka

Smash Journeyman
Just today, some kids and I were playing a match in the Anime Club. Kirby (me) VS. Jigglypuff, Shiek and Captain Falcon. I pulled off a check of a lot of Melee moves, knocking out Jigglypuff, Shiek and Falcon. I did about three rounds of suplex moves in Zelda.

(If you wanna know, I got 2nd place)

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Jump and b-air then jump again before you land and b-air again.

Actually, while that what I said is possible, I think he meant jump twice then use the b-air.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Here's a good Kirby strategy:

Take that Mario! Who's Middle Tier now?! ^_^

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Hey, sry to post this in the wrong thread, but I didn't want to start a whole new one. I was looking in a different room, and came across the following post in that thread. I thought you kirby players would find it funny, so I decided to show you.

i started playing super smash bros 64 when i was about 5. i had just got a n64, and to be honest, loved it. My first game was starcraft. it was probably a bad choice by my parents, because i didnt understand everything, but eventually i got it (i bought it for pc later on).
back to the point; i loved super smash 64. i would (almost) always use kirby, because of its awesome b attacks. People always said "oh yeah, kirby can suck up people, right? " as if that was its only function. Kirby was an awesome character in 64. The b up cutter to throw people around, the stone to stop people with hammers, the colossal side and up smash attacks, it was great for me. Me and my blue kirby beat a lot of super smash vets (around my town).
As a side note, i did use fox a bit, which is why i use him in melee (not because he's a top tier).
I would draw pictures of my blue kirby ( i was young), adding cool things. Boy, my imagination. I would add a variety of things, sometimes even a machine gun.; but i had a kirby i would always draw. Evilish eyes, bat wings (sometimes a cape, or even a jetpack), with my trademark "lightning sword", a yellow jagged sword (which resembled a lightning bolt), and i couldnt forget the colour, the body always blue. He would usually be atop a starfoxy ship, with more evil looks, and a huge gun attached (i loved guns). I would push out pictures of kirby going "HIIIIIII!!!!" and remember him as the awesome hero i thought he was.

And then melee came out. I couldnt afford a gamecube, so i just went without. My friends had one, and they were super smash crazy. I would go over every now and again and go "wow i really need to practice", getting my blue kirby owned. Never the less, i stuck by him, and kept playing.
Then i got a wii. it was heaps of fun, but i really wanted to play melee. so i went out and bought a gamecube controller and the game. I was...well...frankly horrified at what they had done to kirby.
I never noticed when i was playing with my friends; i just thought i was getting worse. but never the less, kirby was ruined. The up b cutter no longer threw opponents around (no matter what %), the Bside addition was a stupid hammer, which was quite useless. I think that ariel sideB should have replaced its nair. Anyway, the dash attack is really useless unless your hoping that your opponent will be stunned by the fiery colours not to notice you cant move for a while. The smash attacks, oh the smash attacks! although they still have their old charm, they just dont have the same...BANG! as in the 64 version.

LOL

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
While you are correct to some degree in most of your perceptions of melee Kirby, you must realize that he is a very challenging character to use effectively.

IMO way more fun than he was in SSB64

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I believe he was quoting someone else's post, though he wasn't overly clear about it (at least use quotes next time). I have to agree though, as much as I liked Kirby in SSB64, Kirby in SSBM is heaps of fun. They should not have changed his Final Cutter (except for the added Meteor Cancel, of course). And it sounds like that guy likes Meta Knight more than Kirby (blue, sword, etc).

Top Bottom