• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
How should I be playing this MU as Snake? I don't get to play it a lot and when I do I just eat a lot of bairs when the Kirby play patiently lol. D:

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I didn't know about the Hammer for King Dedede's Super Big Jump either. That is what I like about this place. I always learn something new. Then again I have been playing Peach a tad more than my Kirby. I need to even it out a bit.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Out-waiting us totally works. Just keep chucking out cooked grenades, c4's and mines. Eventually you'll get ahead of him and he'll get impatient, then just react to whatever he does. If the Kirby is aggressive, then you just gotta out-react him. There's no real formula on how to beat a good Kirby, lucky for us.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Kirby's got some nasty stuff he can do to Snake at those lower percentages oh man. That is my favorite part of that match up. =) Although I do tend to forget about inhaling Snake out of Cypher at times when I know I could've landed a successful KO out of it.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Hey, so I was reading a few pages ago about the MK matchup -- I know it's said don't let MK get under you, but it seems lately I have trouble doing that.

My questions are: what's the best way to avoid being above MK / what can I do to punish his moves that send me up, and if I do end up in the air above him, how do I come down? Is it just learning the spacing for his up B, then deciding to dodge as I come down if I think he'll do it and save my dodge for when closer to the ground if I don't think he'll up B, or is there more to it? I saw some matches where the kirby would hammer a little above the up B range for MK, but it seems after that's done once or twice the MK would just wait until that's done or let you get lower before punishing with it.

I think I've played against k9 (Arizona MK) in 2 of the past 3 tournaments in bracket, and it doesn't end well for me. I think mostly because I end up above him when I DI his downsmash or he'll do something else to get me up there, and can't get back to the ground.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Learn the spacing for both upB and uair. Pretty much use your jumps wisely, and land on platforms if you need to. Don't be afraid to go for th ledge, either. Other than that, it's all just a matter of mindgames. DownB/upB could get you down below before MK if you guys are both high up, for example. Besides that, there's nothing much you can do, except not giving him the opportunity to juggle you in the first place.

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
ok so i have a question as kirby how do we deal with pressure coming from the opponent as to not hold shield to long because my past two tournaments I've had this issue with characters as snake or mk holding sheild then getting grabbed what options do we have to get aggressors off of us and when can we put on the pressure an play on the offensive.

Also I've been getting punished alot for dashing in is walking a better approach as kirby?

when given the chance to establish an offensive how an to what extent should we "go in"

an finally how do we mix things up an get our mix ups ive been playing kirby for a long time but I feel like I'm just struggling getting any type of mind games going lately or offensive because I feel to afraid of being punished by charcters like snake or mk is that a mentality issue or something else? An what do we do to establish ourselves?

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
A huge tip for Brawl in general is that Walking is greater than Running in most situations. Running lowers your chance at reacting well greatly as well as severely limiting your options for attack and movement. And since Kirby is a more passive aggressive character, walking is almost always better than running.

As for your anti-aggressor options, Bair and Ftilt work well depending on the situation. Overall though if you end up getting caught in shield long enough to get grabbed you need to 1) Start running away more (use them jumps!) and 2) Read opponents better. If you are in shield long enough for them to consistently grab punish your shield attempts then you need to simply work on your reads more and figure out the fundamental of when to shield and how to do it effectively.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Kirby is a character who puts up "walls" to deal with his opponents. He is also mostly an aerial character as well. When you say you run in, that's as least effective as you can be. To be most effective, turn your back, and put up an invisible wall with your Back-Aerial.

You shouldn't stay in your shield too long. Once you shield something, you need act after that. Perfect Shielding is a necessity, as you can punish or retreat to be safe. Sometimes, they will read your shield and grab you instead of attack you. Again, Kirby is an air character, so you shouldn't be standing around shielding too often.

Your offensive should be a follow up after a B-air or grab. Most often, your back should be towards the opponent and you should be in the air. If you're on the ground, you need to either hurry up and so something to get back in the air with your back towards them or at least have a plan. This will get you started on the right path to doing better.

As for mixups, after you start playing effectively and get more experience, you'll start noticing what the other person is expecting you to do. If you can figure out what they like to do in certain situations, you can punish them accordingly. If they think you're going to try B-air, and they decide to shield it and you read that decision before it happens, then you can land and grab them quickly instead, or whatever else you think will work. There are tons of different situations and you just have to become familiar with them. Then, you will start to understand how and what to mix up.

Sorry for the wall of text! Hope this helped!

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
My favorite mix-up with Kirby is to look like I am going to Bair (like most players would do) and then Dthrow their failed shield into Ftilt (Dthrow>Ftilt is a true combo). Not only does it rack up some good damage but it also puts Kirby is a great situation where he can follow-up many ways like with another Ftilt if you think the opponent Will fast fall, or a SH Bair if you think the opponent will go airborne.

This is what I have found to be a bread and butter mix-up for Kirby. Just don't use it too often in a match, obviously!

hyoipear

Smash Cadet
I always talk about Kirby diving in and out of the foe's "zone". Spacing by fastfalling fullhopped bairs, which is quite safe on shield, and then, when the oppurtunite arises, catching the foe offguard with a shieldgrab approach or similar.

It's good to mix up the bair spacing, as Illuvial said. I like to dash towards the foe, reverse full hop as I usually do for fastfalling bairs but instead buffer a turnaround aerial hop to FF dair.

I always strive after reacting to attacks so as to shield with my face towards the foe (as well as angling the shield towards the connecting point of the attack) so that I can punish misspaced attacks with shieldgrab. Good for dealing with pressure.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
I am okay with everyone but I usually use either Ike or Captain Falcon
Well I can't help you much with Ike since I do not know that character all that well, but I can at least say the following.

With Ike, SH Fair is your best friend against the pressure that Kirby can put on Ike. Counter is also a godsend since most of Kirby's attacks are fairly readable. Of course, relying on counter to much will give Kirby plenty of chances to use mix-ups ans fake you out, but it is important to know thar you have the option.

As for Falcon, this is a match between two big footsie characters, and unfortunately, Kirby has higher speed and more mix-ups than Falcon. Another big plus for Kirby is that while Falcon will usually land a hit and then run away again, Kirby can actually follow up his attacks VERY well. However, Kirby is light and easy to edge guard for Falcon thanks for his solid air game. Take advantage of Kirby's recovery options by applying gokd pressure. Keep Kirby rif ht outside of ledge range until his jumps are almost out, and then from there you have plenty of options (edgehog, aerials) to keep pressure. However, the same goes double for Falcon when Kirby is edgeguarding. Of course, Falcon is heavier and Kirby is only a "meh" character for killing power, so if you can take first stock this match will be leagues easier.

Hope this helps, and I hope others can give you better advice XD

hyoipear

Smash Cadet
I can't really help ya with those MUs, but I'd recommend going Ike v. Kirby, since Kirby completely wrecks Falcon with strings and gimps, if not for the sole reason that lots of Falcon's attacks go straight over Kirby's head. Yup.

With Ike, you've gotta keep Kirby out of yer zone; space solidly and don't let him get in. Kirby strings Ike pertty well, too. If you don't get gimped, Ike'll kill earlier; utilt's your friend. So yeah, keep him at bay with Ike's range and rack up damage.

But yeah, maybe someone'll come with better, more detailed advice.

pauloisreallyhot

Smash Rookie
Well I can't help you much with Ike since I do not know that character all that well, but I can at least say the following.

With Ike, SH Fair is your best friend against the pressure that Kirby can put on Ike. Counter is also a godsend since most of Kirby's attacks are fairly readable. Of course, relying on counter to much will give Kirby plenty of chances to use mix-ups ans fake you out, but it is important to know thar you have the option.

As for Falcon, this is a match between two big footsie characters, and unfortunately, Kirby has higher speed and more mix-ups than Falcon. Another big plus for Kirby is that while Falcon will usually land a hit and then run away again, Kirby can actually follow up his attacks VERY well. However, Kirby is light and easy to edge guard for Falcon thanks for his solid air game. Take advantage of Kirby's recovery options by applying gokd pressure. Keep Kirby rif ht outside of ledge range until his jumps are almost out, and then from there you have plenty of options (edgehog, aerials) to keep pressure. However, the same goes double for Falcon when Kirby is edgeguarding. Of course, Falcon is heavier and Kirby is only a "meh" character for killing power, so if you can take first stock this match will be leagues easier.

Hope this helps, and I hope others can give you better advice XD
I can't really help ya with those MUs, but I'd recommend going Ike v. Kirby, since Kirby completely wrecks Falcon with strings and gimps, if not for the sole reason that lots of Falcon's attacks go straight over Kirby's head. Yup.

With Ike, you've gotta keep Kirby out of yer zone; space solidly and don't let him get in. Kirby strings Ike pertty well, too. If you don't get gimped, Ike'll kill earlier; utilt's your friend. So yeah, keep him at bay with Ike's range and rack up damage.

But yeah, maybe someone'll come with better, more detailed advice.
Thanks for the advice guys! I've been practising against level 9 CPU Kirbys' and I'm starting to see some improvement~

Labernash

Smash Lord
I have a Falcon main and an Ike main in my city. Don't go Falcon unless you know you are a solid 3x better than the Kirby you're fighting.

For Ike, Jab Cancel a lot. (Jab1 > press down > Jab1, repeat in a quick rhythm, you'll figure it out. Finish with the whole A,A,A Jab Combo.) Kirby's B-air will trade with Ike's Jab, so don't count on doing that the whole match. That's to rack up a solid % on the ground (both characters on the ground). Try shield grabbing his aerials, and then look for the best follow up depending on which throw you use (most likely N-air or F-air or U-air). I can't remember Ike's ideal throw right now for some reason. Forward-Tilt is really good to throw out here and there against Kirby; it'll whack him mid air during an approach.

Like Illuvial said, SH Forward-Air is great. (Unlike Illuvial said, don't use Counter, ever.) F-Air is long ranged and strong. Make sure to be moving backwards when you do it, because when you land, you'll get hit if you didn't hit him with F-air. Only problem is, F-air is great for killing Kirby so you might want to save it. B-air is also good for killing, but it's hard to hit Kirby with it. If you're ever in the air and Kirby is on the ground, do your Neutral-Air to land.

Like Hyoi said, U-tilt is good, if Kirby is up above you. He will try to stay level with you but not low, as that gives you less options. U-tilt is also okay for killing, but it might easier to kill with something else, so you can use U-tilt for damage, but it will only land in certain situations. It has a pretty good range off the front, so it can catch the Kirby off guard, just be careful.

Again, your throws are awesome. Grab Kirby, don't let him grab you. F-Smash kills Kirby at like 50%, but you need a SOLID read to land it, or the Kirby could just be bad. Be careful using that. D-Smash is good for punishing Kirby's landings, if he lands super close to you. U-Smash has the same situations as U-tilt, but has more since it hits from behind and does more damage. I think it also has a faster start-up, but I don't remember.

That's all I can think of and remember right now, sorry! If you continue to have problems, I'll have my Ike main share some wisdom. Don't forget to ask the Ike boards, since they play that character. Same for Falcon boards. Hope this helps!

Labernash

Smash Lord
Yes. You have so many more options that will do more damage and don't guarantee you getting punished.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Yes. You have so many more options that will do more damage and don't guarantee you getting punished.
Well I see so many top Marth players using counter effectively, and since Ike's movelist sucks so much I assumed that his counter would be even more useful when mastered.

Labernash

Smash Lord
If you refine Pooooop, you still can't sell it for gold. Marth's is fast, and more effective. But I don't think I've seen a Marth ever use counter more than once per set. It's a rare occurrence, because Marth's counter is still bad. You could just fair twice and do more, safer, damage haha!

Anyways, if you counter with Ike, you will be hammered.

falln

Smash Ace
a marth player i used to play in norcal smashfests really liked counter. when i got his landing options covered with fsmash he'd land with counter and itd save him and id take 15 dmg.

the next time we were in the same situation i just held the fsmash and waited out the counter and got to kill him at 70%. the moral of the story is in many circumstances the risk/reward of counter isn't even worth it. when you see counter used most effectively its dealing with moves like tornado reactively and not trying to read something

Rizner

Smash Ace
what are the best counterpicks for kirby against diddy kong?
Might just be me, but I usually like to take diddys to battlefield or pokemon stadium game one (assuming both are starter stages). I don't like playing them on FD or castle siege. I think FD is a real good diddy stage, but castle siege is more of a personal I don't like castle siege thing. I could see lylat also working well against Diddys.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm starting with Kirby and I would like some Lucario MU advice.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I have been having a bit of trouble with the Kirby vs MK MU.

Any tips?
If anyone says you can't break MK's tornado, tell them they're wrong. I've uair'd and bair'd each and every one early enough, that someone called me a noob. Time those wisely.
Approaching him carelessly is too dangerous because of his fast attacks, like dsmash. Shield, Shield, Shield.

There's more about this in the MU thread.

hyoipear

Smash Cadet
I like the MK MU and it's one of my best MUs, but I'm still not sure if I can give any good advice.

I like to come up really close to MK in my pressuring. MK strives when you're spacing aerials and stuff, since his fair and other stuff and tilts have such great range and trancendency. Dashing up to MK and putting up an angled shield is often a good choice since his first impulse isn't going to be grab. He'll strike your shield, hopefully in such a way that you can punish him for it (shieldgrabbing is your friend).

All in all, just be really sharp in your spacing. FFing fullhopped bairs on (or in front of) his shield in a safe manner is a good way to keep "the wall" strong.

Don't end up above MK. If you do, try to get down as safe as possible. Be wary of SL, since it can be surprising if you're stalling your landing by floating above him or diagonally above him. Landing with bair or landing far away from him is almost always safer than landing with, say, dair (though it can work, I like to use dair for other things, primarily). Be smart and stingy with the airdodging, too, since it's easily punishable from below.

Try to control the ground space. I always CP to FD v. MK, since the ground space is where Kirby can strive. IMO, Kirby has amazing ground control, if you get some momentum. Be frequent with shield. Angling really helps, I always angle my shield towards where the attack connects. Grabbing, pivot grabbing, mixing up. It's much easier to handle MK if you feel confident in your dashdancing and burst spacing, since that, at least for me, is what makes this MU winnable.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
What should I be punishing against Metaknight? He does all of these Ftilts and Dtilts and Fairs and I'm just sitting there like "Oh, I can punish these things?" but then it just doesn't work. :|. I have no idea what I should be punishing, nor do I have any idea of what I should be punishing him with. My ftilt doesn't reach far enough OOS to punish most of his moves, and dtilt just gets me dsmashed if Metaknight doesn't trip from it. I just have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing when it comes to punishing this guy :|.

Labernash

Smash Lord
What should I be punishing against Metaknight? He does all of these Ftilts and Dtilts and Fairs and I'm just sitting there like "Oh, I can punish these things?" but then it just doesn't work. :|. I have no idea what I should be punishing, nor do I have any idea of what I should be punishing him with. My ftilt doesn't reach far enough OOS to punish most of his moves, and dtilt just gets me dsmashed if Metaknight doesn't trip from it. I just have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing when it comes to punishing this guy :|.
The Match-Up is dumb and hard.

Should he do his third ftilt, you can dash grab him. You can punish a lot of his stuff if you perfect shield. His fair can be punished with Bair if you perfect shield it. Just have to react fast to get the perfect shield and then the punish while he's in his 8 frames of lag. Don't hang out in shield, it'll put you away from him if h hits your shield and now you're getting pressured for no reason. Try not to stay grounded close to him for long. Just keep your Bair wall, mix up with grabs or land > perfect shield > uair or whatever else you can do.

Your ftilt and dtilt are handy in few situations, but they are there. Not something to do often and wonder why they aren't working. MK's ground game is infinitely better than Kirby's. Grab an get the follow up, or run away. Sometimes, getting a perfect shield and running away is your best and safest option.

Perfect. Shield.

Top Bottom