• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Misrepresentation?

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone else noticed that Kirby's side-b move is mis-represented? Me, being an old-school SNES gamer and having played Kirby Superstar can see that Kirby's side b is taken from that game, and that it is supposed to be like, 10x more powerful and have fire!

it's madness! anyone else agree?

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
You want to talk about misrepresentation, take a look at Mewtwo. He's the most powerful character in the Pokemon universe, and the weakest in Smash -.-.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
And I thought you were going to say because the Hammer is suppose to swing from overhead and hit the ground in front of him. I never did understand why they changed it to go side-to-side.

Oh, and 26% is powerful... in theory.

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Nah, the hammer move where he just swings it overhead is his -basic- hammer attack in (his/its?) kirby superstar. When you have the hammer if you like, press up+b I think, (on the SNES game that is) you do a super powerful fiery hammer-attack, but in SSBM the side-b, which is the reincarnation of that awesome super powerful fiery hammer-attack from the SNES version, when you do that in SSBM you don't get the fire AND I think it should be at leasssst 40%+ based on what I saw in the SNES version!

Lol @ Mewto

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Well if you sweet-spot it it does a pretty good job KOing people. But fire would be sweet. But 40%? Wouldn't that make this the most damaging move in the game by 10%? What do Roy's b, Ganon's u-tilt, and Jiggly's rest do?

But yeah. Difinite shenanigans.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't know... if Kirby's Hammer did 40% with a sweet-spot it might make it almost useable; and, I know the overhead swing is Kirby's basic hammer swing in Superstar. It's what I expected from a basic swing in SSBM too.

The best way of fixing this is to change Kirby into Hammer Kirby with Copy.

Hammer Kirby

Neutral B: "Hammer Nail"
A basic, overhead hammer strike (15% attack).

Smash B: "Hammer Swing"
Kirby spins on the ground as seen in Super Star (Ice Climbers' Squall Hammer). Use Hammer Swing in the air to spin in a circle (as seen in Melee, but gains horizontal distance by tapping B).

Down B: "Gigantic Hammer"
Looks like Hammer Nail, but hold B and the hammer quadruples in size! Strikes when you release B, as seen in Squeak Squad (18% version of Hammer Nail)

Up B: "Hammer Flip"
When used on the ground, Kirby charges up his hammer with flames and then strikes with a powerful swing (26%). Same thing as when used as an aerial attack, but he moves forward as he swings.

Taunt + B: "Hammer Throw"
Kirby throws the Hammer forward like an olympic star. Acts like a Final Cutter projectile. This discards the ability.

Quick Notes:
  • If Hammer Nail had decent range and useable speed, it could give Kirby his needed KO attack.
  • Gigantic Hammer seems like it would work similar to Link's bow, but instead of shooting an arrow, he just has a big hitbox to strike with in front of him.
  • Hammer Flip would be similar to a Falcon Punch, I guess.
  • Hammer Throw is inspired by Kirby Super Star where he throws his hammer at his opponent if you discard your Hat at the same time you attack.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Well if you sweet-spot it it does a pretty good job KOing people. But fire would be sweet. But 40%? Wouldn't that make this the most damaging move in the game by 10%? What do Roy's b, Ganon's u-tilt, and Jiggly's rest do?
Jiggs hits about 28% on Rest.

Ganon U-tilt hits 27% and Warlock Punch is 30%.

Fully Charged Roy B is 50%.

So it would be the second strongest by 10% (although if you ever pull a fully charged B on someone they should be slapped by a trout). Who knows. A super 40% damage fire hammer that basically kills anything in one hit if it connects might've been what Kirby needed.

Although I doubt it.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
Ive lately been triing to use the hammer in my style because it almost has K.O. ability. I think there is a way you can sweet spot if the person is directly behind you. Like as the person is behind you you do >b and tilit it upwards. I guess im suggesting hammer tilt.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
That's not a hammer-tilt. The hammer actually has a hitbox behind Kirby at the very end. If they're very close to you, you can hit them with it.

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Hahhahaha @ DogySamich's response!! LOL, ye but Kirby's hammerthrow from superstar seemed pretty bad@ss in my opinion, like his final move w/ tha hammer and then itz gone andhe's left defenseless!

oh, DragonHawk, Ganon's charged up-a attack == 54% > Marth's charged b!

and to add to that note as to the post powerful attack in the game, it requires to ppl but I think it's necc & mr GAW, Ness puts 3 fully chared pk (crash?) the green one's into GAW's bucket, then GAW hits ness w/ it for some crazy amount of dmg, I think it's near 100.. :-P

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Ganon's U-smash can be DIed out of the second hit by most chars. But I could be wrong.

A fully charged Marth Shieldbreaker hits ~30% fully charged iirc so it would be less than Roy's. I think a fully charged tipper has more knockback though. I'm not sure on that one either. Anyone know?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Madness?!
This
is
SSBM!!!!!

couldn't resist :D

this reminds me of a conversation I just had about kirby needing more superstar moves...

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
Kirby would be awesome if he had some of the abilitys from kirby 64. like the throwing star and stuff.

KSUkid

Smash Apprentice
Just let him have his Ninja ability Shuriken attack from Superstar and he can go toe-to-toe with Falco :p Though exploding ones would be cool...

If we go there, then his Stone ability should be cancellable at any time, instead of the lag before it lets you do that now.

Top Bottom