• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby in Teams

Cia

das kwl
I've been experimenting with Kirby in teams to see how well he can do with proper support. My favorite teammate for Kirby is Falco. I'm sure alot of you know the strategy and maybe even use it for fun. But I'd like to see it go far.

The way I've done it, Kirby takes Falco's ability asap and just walls with lasers. The falco takes to the platforms and controls any aerial approaches. If anyone gets to close on the ground, Kirby can just SH > Laser > Laser > Grab. It's never failed for me (unless power shielded). It sounds easy in theory, but it's pretty hard to pull off. I wanted to know if anyone has any particular strategies for doing this successfully?

My second favorite teammate for Kirby is Sheik. Again, My strategy is to steal my partner's ability. (or your opponent's if he/she is falco) With Falco's ability, i pretty much just wall lasers while sheik takes to the platforms. With Sheik's ability, i play Heavy support and use needles to interfere when the time's right. Fully charged needles are a blessing doing up to 18% in one shot. Sheik does he aggression / high priority **** while throws in a Bair/ Uair every now and then to supplement a pass. Kirby's also usually the one who edge guards while sheik guards the other teammate.

Any other team strats you guys have, POST UP!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I just grab people with my disproportionate grab range and have them do stuff. Like Fox U-smash or Ganon Dair stuff.

I also gimp people.

I play like a handicapped Jigglypuff with a crazy grab range, a good combo tilt, and try to duck and D-tilt as much as possible to keep people off balance.

I also Bair and Swallow.

Kirby's Hammer is pretty good for grab-hit punishes if your partner grabs someone, provided you sweetspot it and avoid bopping your partner.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I Swallow.
you heard it here first, folks.

also, Kirby in teams is okay.... kinda shooting your partner in the foot tho lol. he's alright in teams tho, since there's not as much stuff for him to get ***** by when he has a partner to help him.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Kirby/Falco is a beast team since falco is pretty self sufficient (which kirby's teammate pretty much HAS to be). One huge perk that kirby has with falco is that kirby can duck alot of falco's lasers, and unlike jiggs kirby will be ducking often becaaaaaause, that's how he works.

Kirby/Doc is ok, but a good marth shuts the team down pretty hard. All personal doc bias aside, both characters need room to work against marth, and although marth cant really combo the mess out of either one of them (especially in teams), the fact that he's basically a brick wall really hurts the team.

Another team I really like is Kirby/Sheik. Sheik's another character that can pretty much handle herself at all times, and letting her have full access to her needle game is a real big bonus for various things. Kirby with needles is obviously nasty as hell as a bonus, but the real big plus is the nasty edgeguarding that can happen since kirby can cover high while sheik... exists. Last and not least (which exists with any team, really), is dumb easy f.air setups for sheik from copy.

Another random team I like (that nobody will ever WANT to play) is Kirby/M2.

... double shadowball is hilarious. The end.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Kirby and anyone is poor against Jigglypuffs and Foxes.

Those two in teams basically neutralize the effectiveness of Kirby. He dies too fast against Fox and can't keep up with him in any sort of way, and against Puff his upped recovery means very little because of her crazy aerial mobility taking her all the way out to hit Kirby from the middle of the stage with maybe two jumps. He also has no sound means of killing her, unless he gets help from his partner, or Jigglypuff kills herself for him. In addition to having an inferior brickwall move (Bair).

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Teams is actually something Kirby doesn't fare too poorly in. He's still pretty bad, but not bottom of the bottom. He benefits alot from the fact that Doubles stops opponents from camping as well as from the fact that it's much harder to combo Kirby to his death when there are so many more active hit boxes in the game. He makes a good partner for a spammy character like Samus as his small size allows him maneuverability to pressure opponents while they simultaneously have to deal with constant missiles. I've also found I have an easier time spacing in doubles with Kirby as once again his small size means I have to worry less about whether random attacks from my partner are going to hit me.

He's basically like a low tier Jiggs, there's no reason to use him over her, but he can at least do some stuff. I'd probably put him somewhere in low tier but I couldn't give you an exact idea where without first considering every other character in the game. Also, lvl 9 Luigi is top tier for doubles.
I agree with this guy.

Cia

das kwl
Yeah, For Kirby to be used seriously in teams, i think he has to play the support role like.. 90% of the time. I wish we had a high level Kirby MAIN that could shed some light on this.

I've played Kirby once in teams (teaming with a Peach) and it came really close, but in the end we lost to a Sheik/ Ganon team. One of our stategies was for me to catch passes and Death edge guard. It seem to work pretty nicely considering Ganon and Sheik's recoveries.

also, I like Dogy's post. Falco and Sheik seems to be Kirby's best supplements.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I really do consider Samus to be Kirby's best possible partner, especially if it's a really spammy samus player. There's pretty much no missile that Kirby can't avoid, and Samus Charge Beam is at least a usable power(If the opposing team doesn't have anything to steal)

I think Kirby's ability to be useful in teams rises dramatically when you play against a team that uses Falcon/Ganon and Fox/Falco. Kirby can get some really simple, really easy gimps and in the case of Falcon/Ganon can get probably the easiest Swallowcide cancels you'll see this side of King Koopa himself. But the most interesting thing I've found is how quickly people seem to forget how bad of an idea it is to attempt a Swallowcide attempt when they enter teams. Players who have asked me and I have TOLD that if Kirby has you in his mouth and you're both falling to death that you should just let it happen and hope Kirby misses the cancel will, in teams, do everything they can to break out of a Swallowcide, usually leading to the easiest kills I can get. It may have something to do with the Teams Mentality that you HAVE to stay alive, keep more stocks than your opponent, but it usually just leads to easy stock for Kirby

Side Note: Kirby + Jiggs = Amazing. Starshot->Rest. It's very doable.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
kirby + jiggs is an awesome team.my favorite is kirby doc, pills are nice and they complement eachothers recoverys. also falcon is the same minus pills with better finishers.

Top Bottom