• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
My dedication to playing Kirby in this game... Egh, I gotta get into some tournaments eventually, my friend plays a damn good Fox and Sheik, and while I can rock them(and about anyone else in Melee that's not named Link), I just want to make Kirby look amazing and win some big stuff.

Or some small stuff, and by that I mean tourneys, not prizes or anything, I just wanna win with the pink puffball...
Yeah I know it's a way better option, but I'd still like to know what happens...

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
i was talking about the pummel damage
O woops I missed that... sorry...
But in that case, I think it could be possible, as long as your opponent keeps on cancelling the throw. I think that once your opponent catches on to this it won't work anymore.

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
O woops I missed that... sorry...
But in that case, I think it could be possible, as long as your opponent keeps on cancelling the throw. I think that once your opponent catches on to this it won't work anymore.
It's not a strategy. However, opponent mashing out of f-throw into immediate b-throw to ruin their DI thanks to its speed & their mashing is a sometimes strategy. It's especially good to cross up an opponent to b-throw them off stage. A good kirby can time f-throw to option select a regrab or an f-throw which is decent if successful.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
So uh, I think I figured out exactly how SD-Canceling works.
EDIT: Nevermind, it's nothing new. I didn't expect it to be new :c

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I'm officially sticking with Kirby as a secondary. I just like him too much and all his matchups are so hard, it makes victory really, really sweet.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Huh, I almost beat Hbox's Ness recently. I took 3 stocks off then got greedy and tried to go for a swallowcide. Not too bad considering I don't use Kirby anymore.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Why in the name of the holy baby star warrior weren't you using Dair more?

You could have easily 2 stocked him if you would have dair'ed him while he was Up-Bing offstage and when Ness is near the edge of the stage if you Dair him he will get launched off and down from the stage if they don't DI it fast enough or tech. That moves also eats up his double jump pretty much every single time, it's Ness's kryptonite.

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Why in the name of the holy baby star warrior weren't you using Dair more?

You could have easily 2 stocked him if you would have dair'ed him while he was Up-Bing offstage and when Ness is near the edge of the stage if you Dair him he will get launched off and down from the stage if they don't DI it fast enough or tech. That moves also eats up his double jump pretty much every single time, it's Ness's kryptonite.

///////////////////////////////////////////////
My Kirby is rusty. I dont use him anymore.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
How do you guys feel about Leffen and Armada's views on Kirby? It's interesting IMO.
In general they seem to share the same sentiments as Triple R, which is about the same as any other competent player that has actually put in time with the character. (except Triple also puts Ness below Kirby, some would argue that)

In Sweden there just seems to be a lot more love for melee Kirby; Lefffen, Armada, Hack and Nizro being the standouts. He is a bit more viable in the PAL version, but I'd say the differences aren't really that significant.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
To be honest I don't really know what you are talking about... Are there vids or urls for me maybe?
I can't remember the specific matches that they were talking about this, but they were at GSATF (and Leffen wasn't drunk while saying it) and were talking about Kirby and how they consider him underdeveloped and still has much to work on.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Guys we seriously need to crowd-source (maybe even crowd-fund) and come up with some solid ways to beat 20XX Fox, cause right now the
Fox : Kirby matchup is still SHINE% : 0%

It's the only MU that gives me trouble locally. Dair and Bair on Fox's Firefox are great and almost make up for getting shined into oblivion. I know all the tricks and combos for Fox; still I think the only true guaranteed way to beat a fox is to Swallowcide Cancel them into submission, but then you lose all your dignity and the crowd turns on you.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Okay quick technical questions about Kirby's hurt boxes during two scenarios:

1. Do the hurt boxes enlarge to match Kirby's body when he's multi-jumping? (they seem to enlarge but with a bit of lag and not as big)

2. From the ability to swallowcide cancel I imagine the hurt boxes do not enlarge to Kirby's size when he's full, since the eaten dies first (size matters). If that's the case where is the opponent stored? right below Kirby's normal hurtbox? a bit to the right or left and below?

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Okay quick technical questions about Kirby's hurt boxes during two scenarios:

1. Do the hurt boxes enlarge to match Kirby's body when he's multi-jumping? (they seem to enlarge but with a bit of lag and not as big)

2. From the ability to swallowcide cancel I imagine the hurt boxes do not enlarge to Kirby's size when he's full, since the eaten dies first (size matters). If that's the case where is the opponent stored? right below Kirby's normal hurtbox? a bit to the right or left and below?
IDK about the first question but for the second question, the opponent is partially still inside of Kirby's hurtbox, but sticks out a little right below him.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
http://sdremix.com/characters/kirby/
Melee Kirby fans rejoice! They made Melee Kirby a really good character. I recommend you guys check it out as it's basically a more balanced melee where every high to low tier character is equipped with the proper tools to handle top-tiers while keeping their playstyles and movesets in tact so every character is fun to play as. Never thought i'd be able to see the day where a fox gets 4 stocked by a Kirby and know it can actually happen. They even went as far as adding more stages for us to play on and got rid of hazards like whispy's wind and ps1's transformations. Only real downside is how complicated it is to get the game on your wii or gamecube as opposed project m.

Edit: I'm new around here btw so sorry for the lack of an introduction(Not that i'm good at making them anyway) but i was so excited about it that i had to share it with you guys ASAP.

Last edited:

Noce

Smash Rookie
http://sdremix.com/characters/kirby/
Melee Kirby fans rejoice! They made Melee Kirby a really good character. I recommend you guys check it out as it's basically a more balanced melee where every high to low tier character is equipped with the proper tools to handle top-tiers while keeping their playstyles and movesets in tact so every character is fun to play as. Never thought i'd be able to see the day where a fox gets 4 stocked by a Kirby and know it can actually happen. They even went as far as adding more stages for us to play on and got rid of hazards like whispy's wind and ps1's transformations. Only real downside is how complicated it is to get the game on your wii or gamecube as opposed project m.

Edit: I'm new around here btw so sorry for the lack of an introduction(Not that i'm good at making them anyway) but i was so excited about it that i had to share it with you guys ASAP.
We don't need your pity updates! :p kidding

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
So I've been a Kirby main casually since 64 and started maining him competitive for the first time in PM. What do you guys think of other smash games with Kirby? Just curious. Also I love melee, but I love kirby too. So its why I tried Kirby in other games.

Top Bottom