• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Double's Discussion *New Discussion 8/09/09*

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well he spams projectiles (hitting everyone in the process, including me) and is a stock tank, while I randomly attack people and hopefully land Fsmashes and Hammers.

:D

Taking his power could be useful. Arrows are cool.

...I suck at doubles discussion, I suck at doubles due to so little experience. :/

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I try to control the stage and he maneuvers around projectiles and stuff due to being Kirby and being able to maneuver well.

And sometimes he gets hit because he sucks of Wifi.

He gets most of the kills, which is MUCH, MUCH LESS PRESSURE ON TOON LINK. ^____^
Since he can't kill for crap and all.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know what to write right now, but here's my doubles team on the Allisbrawl ladder with sasukebowser (TOON LINK): http://allisbrawl.com/ladder/player.aspx?id=29167
ooh, my friend is TL main. we were supposed to do doubles..
and now I feel i've missed a calling ;[

but before he quit, we came up with a strategy, somewhat.
TL - camp, Kirby - get in there.

TL stands by, shooting arrows (occasionally attacking aswell.) and kirby racks up dmg.
Kills could be made by either person, but we left it up to kirby since he has better killing options.

Another technique was for kirby to copy TL's arrows, and we both annoy the crap outta the opponent by camping.

im sorry this is kind of..off-topic.. but where did u find those "morbid thought" comics in the link provided? i lol'd so hard.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
http://lol-comics.livejournal.com/

Asdioh and I just started doing teams seriously (Well, as serious as you can be on Wifi >_>), so we don't really have that much to add. We'll probably have some more specific/ more important stuff later on.

Some things I noted:
-I like to Dair people after Asdioh inhales them.
-Kirby and TL both are REALLY good at preventing their partner from getting edge guarded (TL has projectiles and Kirby can jump offstage and save TL).
-It's easy for TL to combo out of Kirby's throws.

We haven't tried yet, but I think I think TL can throw a bomb into Kirby's inhale and it does a lot of damage/knock back. xD

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
PEACH

Strategies

I heard rumors that Peach has one of the best assist in the game when it come's to teams, and they weren't lying. Peach has strangely many ways to assist her partners like air assist, turnip assist, surprise attacks, and gang attacks. Let's not forget that Peach is able to start set up's with her veggies. An example of Peach's assist strategy that build up damage, but lacks the finishing blows around a semi high percent.

Copy?

You really don't have to because it's a counter move, you won't use counter moves very often in a fight. I guess you can use Toad once to stall in the air for a second and give you a little boost in the air as well. But you won't really need her power when fighting, but only for surprise attacks or if your really good at handling her power.

Overall Performance

Surprising powerful team, a team I'll recommend if you know someone that's very good with Peach. She would mostly build up damage and you will deliver the killing blow most of the time. The major con is that there are a handful of characters that can give this team a hard time if your into match up's, (Snake, Donkey Kong, Pit, and Marth is all I can name), and would really be a pain if you see one of those characters in a fight. Over all, you should do really well in tourney's with this team, just don't stick to individual battles all day unless it's a bad match up or personal bad match up or that person's character will handling you like a bike.

Rating

★★★★☆

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
One thing to recommend to the Kirby+MK team...

Try "MK dthrow > Kirby dair > MK dthrow > Kirby dair...". Me and my friend randomly came up with this and it's pretty legit. If the opponent DI's Kirby's dair away, then he's away from both of them in a bit of hitstun, resulting in a successful damage-racking teamwork experience that ended in both Kirby and MK safe. :D

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
One thing to recommend to the Kirby+MK team...

Try "MK dthrow > Kirby dair > MK dthrow > Kirby dair...". Me and my friend randomly came up with this and it's pretty legit. If the opponent DI's Kirby's dair away, then he's away from both of them in a bit of hitstun, resulting in a successful damage-racking teamwork experience that ended in both Kirby and MK safe. :D
Or maybe MK Dthrow -> Kirby Dthrow -> MK Dthrow -> ... (grabbing the opponent out of the very end the animation, before they get knocked back).

It might not be gauranteed, but it does work for Kirby and R.O.B (I saw it in a t1ommy (lulz...) vid).

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Or maybe MK Dthrow -> Kirby Dthrow -> MK Dthrow -> ... (grabbing the opponent out of the very end the animation, before they get knocked back).

It might not be gauranteed, but it does work for Kirby and R.O.B (I saw it in a t1ommy (lulz...) vid).
Hmm, I'll have to try it out. Luckily, my friend is a very good MK user, 2nd best MK main in PR, but IMO the best... So he'll most probably have the reaction speed to do this with me.

Whenever we play Brawl again, I'll try this out. This could be devastating!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll post about Donkey Kong and Falco tomorrow. And I really need to know someone with Diddy Kong experience on teams already. )=

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It is guarenteed, though the timing is very precise. You can also grab out of Meta Knight's D-throw the same as Kirby's. Since the timing is so precise, it's easier to do many other things (like MK's d-throw into Kirby's D-air), but if you pull off the D-throw Regrab several times in succession it looks really cool.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It is guarenteed, though the timing is very precise. You can also grab out of Meta Knight's D-throw the same as Kirby's. Since the timing is so precise, it's easier to do many other things (like MK's d-throw into Kirby's D-air), but if you pull off the D-throw Regrab several times in succession it looks really cool.
Oh yeah! I can't wait to do that with my friend! :bee:

I have some badass reaction time and techskill thanks to Melee and other fighting games (along with other, less known games that also require timing and precise button inputs), and so does my friend. I'm gonna practice this with him until we perfect it! :chuckle:

And reading frames isn't that hard... After a while using the same character, theorizing stuff and understanding how the game works, everything starts seeming way easier. I'm literally punishing small frame windows that my opponents fail to successfully protect.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I finally figure out that being on teams with Diddy Kong is awful... well not Sonic awful, but a team that Kirby shouldn't team up with awful. More details soon.

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
so far bwett and i have teamed up the last 2 tournies ive been to.

we got 5th at hobo 17
and 3rd and a local tourny

i think kirby and DDD go really well together

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
DIDDY KONG

Strategies

I completely underestimated this team thinking it was terrible team, this is actually a good team to have. Diddy Kong's Bananas is very good to assist on doubles, it can stop grabs, interrupt attacks in the air, and help stop double teaming. Make sure that Diddy Kong doesn't hit Kirby with his Bananas or that would help the opposing team, it takes practice to use Diddy Kong's Bananas in doubles, but is very well worth it. This team is mostly assist and 1 vs 1 battle, not too big on double teaming options.

Copy?

You won't really need it, Diddy Kong's Peanut Pop Gun isn't a good move. Your opponent can easily block it, attack it, hell even catch it and throw it right back. This move could help with assist, but not by much. Your better off not having Diddy Kong's power.

Overall Performance

This teams assist is really good, I mean really good mostly because of Diddy Kong's Bananas stopping most characters for performing a move. There are some characters that's hard to deal with while having Diddy Kong as your partner, (The top three S tier characters mostly), and set up's are really hard depending on what stage your on, a stage with little activity, a stage with motion, or a stage that attacks you. With Diddy on your team, you must pick a stage with a least little to no activity since his Bananas is named top on the best assist awards. Since stage picks matter for this team to shine, this shaves them for being a godlike team.

Rating

★★★★

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I've never really played with a Diddy... Most of the things I know how to do in doubles which include Kirby, have to do with Pikachu and MK.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
They are one of the best team combination. =P

It seems I couldn't keep my promise of Donkey Kong and Falco yesterday, I just had to research Diddy Kong since I didn't know how or what he can perform on Kirby's team. I'll have Donkey Kong today or tomorrow.

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
bwett actually is a diddy main now so we'll be experimenting with this team. i think we'll see alot of banana games and alot of bairs from kirby.

ive been thinking about this team for a couple of days and i cant think of kirby-diddy specific setups. But we'll finally get to experiment tomorrow so ill let yall know what i find out.

diddys fthrow > kirby fsmash works
diddys bthrow> kirby's aerial attacks. usmash?

i didnt like this team as much but we didn't really touch on it much. diddy plays really well as the assist type in doubles, like viper mentioned. However kirby doesn't fit the tanking description. i see kirby as more of a assist, 1 on 1, finisher. but we only played like 3 rounds of this, so lemme get use to it first before i go all out in detail

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Thank you for your detail Shuzaku. Hmm, maybe giving this team a four star was a bit much, Diddy Kong is a hard team get use to IMO, but I'm not 100% it's a good team yet.... maybe I'm thinking too hard. O_o

Next post is on Donkey Kong.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
DONKEY KONG

Strategies

Oh God, why is Donkey Kong too strong with great speed for a big character? Because of this, his killing spree on teams is uncounted. Donkey Kong is mostly the character that will do the finishing blows on this team, Kirby would mostly be there for assist. This team should mostly focus racking up damage, and finishing blows at a not so critical percent like 80% or so. Of course assist is an option to, spiking assist is hard to do, but is does work and both characters can perform spiking assist, (for example, have Kirby B-Throw an opponent to Donkey Kong outside the stage for an awesome spike with F-Air or D-Air. Or have Donkey Kong use his F-Throw> U-Direction for Kirby to use his D-Air). I'll also do not recommend you leave Donkey Kong alone, as he is the "must kill" target because he's a big target.

Copy?

I'll recommend it thanks to the knock back and the invincible frames this move has on light hit attacks. This move will kill very fast at full charge, the only problem is the size of Kirby's little arms you have to be more strategist with using this move. Over all it's a copy move to have and use to kill very fast.

Overall Performance

Fast kill team really with great assist and spacing with a major flaw of dealing with characters with great projectiles. You would have to mostly protect Donkey Kong from projectile characters, and characters with great grabs, (King Dedede the most). Donkey Kong also know how to deal with Kirby's tough match up's like Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Zero Suit Samus and Ice Climbers, (if anyone would pick them on doubles, lol), and you have Donkey Kong's protection with King Dedede mostly. With Donkey Kong's size, you also have to protect him since he's a character that would often get double teamed, and/or get hit with a projectile assist strategy because of his size. There's not many characters that would sync like this team would on killing other characters, I'll recommend it unless your fighting characters that's in S-Tier, most of those characters have Donkey Kong on their hit list because most of those characters are Donkey Kong's bad/worst match up, you'll have to play very careful and make sure Donkey Kong is not double teamed as well.

Rating

★★★★

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'll recommend it thanks to the knock back and the invisible frames
I just realized you wrote "invisible frames". I think you meant to say "invincible", in which case I'm going to mention that Kirby doesn't get invincible frames with the Giant Punch, he gets the same Heavy Frames that DK does.
Invisible frames with Giant Punch would be fun though.

xTONEx

Smash Apprentice
I finally figure out that being on teams with Diddy Kong is awful... well not Sonic awful, but a team that Kirby shouldn't team up with awful. More details soon.
My teams experience with Diddy aren't always that good. My friend is very aggressive with the bananas when he plays Diddy, so you can imagine how i feel playing on teams with him throwing bananas everywhere.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Diddy can do fairly well in teams. If a Diddy is doing poorly in doubles it's probably because he is too banana reliant, possibly too aggressive, and should learn how to use bananas with teams in play.

xTONEx

Smash Apprentice
Diddy can do fairly well in teams. If a Diddy is doing poorly in doubles it's probably because he is too banana reliant, possibly too aggressive, and should learn how to use bananas with teams in play.
Thats exactly how my friend plays.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll start on Luigi real soon since I been on teams with Luigi many times, me and The Mann. I'll post my info tomorrow, right now... it's very late to think right in EST time. XD

Edited, I mean later on today. Yep, can't think right now. XD

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
LUIGI

Strategies

Strangely, this team does very well with assisting, mostly aerial assist. Luigi's attacks are fast and helpful for this team. He may lack finishing blows, but look out, his Super Jump Punch and his F-Smash really packs power to kill around 80ish percent on normal weighted. Of course you can help with the killing with Kirby when Luigi makes enough damage if your trying to assist. This team mostly shines with individual skills, with a bit of switching opponents.

Copy?

It's good to have, not really a game breaker though. But this will help you and your partner interrupt your opponents and perform moves after the fireball.

Overall Performance

This team is above average in my option. There's not much to say but hope to not fight Mr. Game & Watch, since that's both their bad match up, and Luigi's worst match up so you'll do most of the handling with Mr. Game & Watch, same with Marth, Snake, and Meta Knight. As this team is a damage builder with surprise kill moves and air assist, this team may get you far enough to be on the top 5 depending on your individual skills, but don't get shocked if you lose because of Luigi's and Kirby's bad match up's on doubles.

Rating

★★★☆

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
Ah, very nice thread Viper. I find that Luigi's and Falco's copy abilities are both very helpful for interrupting moves, and tapping some extra damage onto the enemy.

I agree that Luigi and Kirby make a great team in air combat, and they can hold their own pretty good on the ground.

I believe this team could very well work against Snake and Marth. Metaknight... not so much.

KROE

Smash Cadet
I don't know very much about how these matchups work, but based on what I read above, It actually makes alot of sense. Luigi, can be a very good combatant for Kirby, I'm actually very suprised :)

Either way, Thank you I feel as if i'm learning more each day =3

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Thanks guys. =)

Also, I'll start King Dedede soon, I predict that this team will **** since King Dedede can handle all of Kirby's bad match up's and Kirby can handle all of King Dedede's bad match up's except for Meta Knight fully, but Kirby can handle Meta Knight better, IMO.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Kirby and Falco is a pretty cool team to have. Ah, I remember how fun it was just to have Falco using his laser, but Kirby as well. Memories. I have good experience with Kirby and Falco, but don't have the time to type it down right now. I'll type it around 11pm or 12am Tokyo time which would be around 10 or 11 hours from now. ♥

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Though it's past 11 and 12 hours already, but I know you can keep your words. I'll make the current discussion two days longer.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
KING DEDEDE

Strategies

My most favroite team to have because this team owns everyone's life. Ah, the original Kirby dual before the trio came. Ahem, anyways, this team can assist KO's, assist gimping, and juggling assist mostly. There's also King Dedede's D-Grab > Kirby's Ground Hammer FTW on characters that slide with his D-Grab. Remember to try to help out with campy characters, they would make the King unconformable since he's a big target and since he's easily double teamed, make sure the other teammate doesn't reach his partner to double team the King.

Copy?

Only if you enjoy Kirby to have King Dedede's hat. Other than that, you would want to copy your opponents power.

Overall Performance

Great team to have that can clear all of both their bad math up's except Meta Knight. Be sure to help King Dedede when campers come because it's really hard to deal with campers on doubles with King Dedede. King Dedede would mostly perform most of the damage, and Kirby with the finishing blows, it could work both ways as well. This team works really well with gimping for the win, both Kirby and King Dedede's air game is awesome enough to win your match's.

Rating

★★★★☆

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
i absolutely love this team. out of all the chars id rather team up with a D3

when the match starts, almost 95% the D3 is gonna get double teamed. Kirby cant really camp with projectiles so kirby is gonna help pick off one of the two with bairs, throws,etc It is super important that you have your partner communicate with you. D3 struggles with fast moving chars such as MK and GW.

You always wanna upthrow in teams, and dthrow only when the other opponent is no where near. Have the d3 jump and bair them after you finish your throw.

D3 dthrow has so many setups. At low percentages i think kirby's dsmash or upsmash is the safest option. fsmash for the kill. if you wanna do hammer thats up to you. Then you can get creative with it, ive had bwett chain grab someone till the ledge and i will swallowside/dair/hammer/stone. You can also dtilt and then have the D3 do a dsmash. Always look for D3 dthrow, and have the d3 give you a cue when he has a dsmash going.

In this team i try to force the 2 1vs1. A good D3 partner can chaingrab/techread. if you can keep the other team member occupied then this is golden!

i sometimes finding myself hiding behind the d3 when im at high percentage, as he is my tank. when someone sees kirby at high percentage they wanna finish of the kirby in a move or two. well when theres a d3 in between us, most likely they will make a mistake and leave themselves open. Take turns protecting each other, teams isnt 2 1vs1.

D3 doesnt have a hard time getting back on the stage, however its so easy to punish D3 recovery. Kirby needs to distract the opponents so his partner can get back.

Kirby and D3 do really well off stage, d3 bair and fair can edge guard someone for days. kirbys dair is amazing for gimps, and bair and hammer can be used for edgegaurd/kills.

i think both of these guys take care of each others bad matchups. In the case of Gw and Mk you cannot let them go 1vs1 against the d3, it is **** for d3. ill see if i can find some vids of me and bwett.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Added :olimar: :gw: :pit: guys. I'll start with Pit later on today since I have team experience with him. I have yet to team with Olimar so I'll need help with that.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
PIT

Strategies

This is a common team, two characters with great recovery that's very hard to gimp. In this case, this team is mostly assist and 1 vs 1 battles. Pit's arrows is very good for long range assist if Kirby is getting bullied. Pit does have trouble with finishing blows so remember to help him, of course Pit can kill by himself, but to get the job done quick, leave the kills to the puffball.

Copy?

Yes, yes, yes.... YES!!! Copy this power, this will help you and Pit very much. Long range assist, able to gimp, and able to camp, this power is like heaven, and Pit is your angel. This power is a must as in, you much copy this power.

Overall Performance

This team is simple and strong if used right. Remember to make most of your battles 1 vs 1 and switch when percents get's very high. Pit would take care of Wario and Zero Suit Samus for you, the rest you have to toughen up and take them on match up wise. This team isn't easy to completely master, but it's a simple team that can get you on the top of your game.

Rating

★★★★

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
lol have kirby get port, make kirby upthrow and have pit shoot kirby at the peak =D.
Hmm, would that work as a kill?! I'll go try it right now and see if it does work. =3

Toon Link will be coming next from me or if anyone wants to make a tl;dr or an understanding text of Toon Link, that would be fine to. =P

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
i was teaming with bwett against a pit player, i upthrow his partner and he shot us up there somewhere, i didnt have port D=. his partner safely landed

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
OLIMAR

Strategies

Olimar doesn't see much action in the team world because he's not really good when it come's to free for all's or 2 vs 2's so you'll mostly see some average team action of 1 vs 1. Most set up's are grab releases or hold your opponent till your partner does a strong attack. However his U-Throw can lead to set up's like Kirby's Stone after he throws them, nothing too fancy though. You shouldn't really worry for Olimar not able to hold himself since he's good when it come's to 1 vs 1, it's not too often he needs assist unless dealing with double teaming or his bad match up. Since it's teams, it's won't be easy using Olimar's grabs without getting interrupted, so it's Kirby's job to make sure Olimar doesn't get bullied.

Copy?

Your much better trying to copy your opponent than Olimar's power, since it won't help you much, you can try something new with his power, but nothing game changing or astonishing.

Overall Performance

This team really depends on individual skills since Olimar doesn't really have much double team options, your mostly better off 1 vs 1 in this team. But don't forget, Olimar can handle himself most of the time, but he will be the "must kill" target however. Make sure he's not double teamed, it's not easy to use Olimar when there's two people in the way, he does have some attacks that can brush off more than one character, but not many. Also characters with great gimping skills, you might have to handle them or make sure they don't go after Olimar. Also make sure you save Olimar if he runs out of jumps as well if he's facing characters that can him him really well.

Rating

★★★

Top Bottom