• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby a good "main" character?

Veng

Smash Ace
Well im getting into the more pro side of brawl now and I want to get more advanced, but is kirby a good character to do that with?

whats some good stragegys?

Whats his best base moves to rely on?

any other info?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
If you main kirby, a LOT of people will tell you that he is not a viable option. I have a feeling that a lot of people here will tell you he IS a viable option. The problem is, BOTH sides are biased. Most people don't know kirby's potential. A lot of the people here probably know it a little too well and fell in love with kirby(I'm among them). Personally, I think if you really play well and put the time into it, kirby can be a viable main.

You'll have to read the guides, watch the videos(I recommend deg's and gonzo's vids) to really learn his play style. But for basics.
-You will love his bair
-Kirbicide's are legitimate. You MUST come to terms with this and ignore all john'ing about them.
-Kirbicide's are NOT kirby's ultimate move. It is a SINGLE strategy that you should not base your game off of.
-Learn the throw combos because kirby is pretty godly at racking up the damage after a grab.
-Understand his spacing. His feet are a disjointed and he uses his feet a lot in his attacks. But if you plan to main him and go to tournaments, you're going to play against marth's, G&W's, and most of all metaknights. You need to learn how to space yourself so you can hit them before they hit you, because even though kirby has a disjointed, his reach is still shorter than a lot of characters in his moves.

After that, the rest will be more or less intuitive. Kirby is a LOT of fun to play. Hope you do decide to main him. Good luck =D

Bnana

Smash Rookie
I think Kirby's a great main character for a few reasons: Kirbycides, *AIR GUARDING( what,in my opinion, stops Kirby from being bottom tier character..), **Mind games(HAAAAAIIIIIIIII!), and stone drop

* Air guarding is really what makes kirby and jigglypuff usable characters(in my opinion). Because kirby doesn't have any really big attacks(besides >b and fsmash) he has to needle his opponents to death by clever edge guarding and air guarding. During guarding you have a plethora of options. You could get above them and stone drop, fence of pain, hammer(i don't recommend this way), kirbycide them, or just use your aerials.

** mind games(not to infer you wouldn't know I just wanna clarify) can be used if your opponent's staying away from you...then you spam down taunt(during you can come up with a counter plan for when they go mad and attack you) eventually your opponent won't be able to take it, abandoned his/her plan and just charge at you.

And I believe why most people hate Kirby/jigglypuff b/c he's not a get out there and Tank your way through everything kinda character like Ike is(this why I believe Ike is so popular) You have to study techniques and get a correct feel for Kirby which may take a week or two. But I must say once you learn strategies, techniques, and start to develop your own of the formers, he becomes one of the best characters you can use.

Well I've said many good things, and I don't like to be based so heres the....
CONS
Slow movement
No real K.O moves
Light so easily K.O'd
Short Range
Lost most Kirbycides
^B has no recovery worth(but great for Ledge canceling and edge guarding)
Slow dash speed

Well I should list the...

PROS
Great Recovery
Kirbycides!
Two spikes
Copy ability
Can turn Opponents into projectiles(starshot)
Lowest crouch in the game
B/c he is not a very popular tournament character many people will not know how to handle Kirby's unusual combat abilities
FENCE OF PAIN
awesome sir and edge guaridng

remember these things: KIRBYCIDE< EDGE AND AIR GUARDING<, and MIND GAMES

********DO NOT BASE YOUR GAME OFF OF KIRBYCIDES**************IT'S BEST TO USE KIRBYCIDES WHEN YOUR OPPONENT HAS 1 STOCK ADN YOU AHVE 2 OR MORE.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Kirby is definitely a tournament viable character, though he will have a considerably harder time being successful than other characters. His matchups with a lot of the perceived higher tier characters are usually pretty rough, but nothing you cannot overcome (as proven with the success Kirby has had in tournaments).

The most important thing about choosing your main is to play who you feel comfortable with. And if it so happens that is Kirby, he has the tools to make you successful in a competitive scene.

storm92

Smash Ace
CONS
Slow movement
No real K.O moves
Light so easily K.O'd
Short Range
Lost most Kirbycides
^B has no recovery worth(but great for Ledge canceling and edge guarding)
Slow dash speed
I'm confused here.
It's true that overall, Kirby is a fairly slow character, and has a pretty slow dash, so I'll give you that. also, he did lose Kirbycides, is light, and has short range but saying the 2 other things...ouch.
UpB is a great recovery move, you can easily auto-cancel on the ledge as you said and if anyones stupid enough to be underneath you they get spiked. It has recovery worth, as it gives you some good vertical height.
Also, no real K.O. moves? Fsmash, usmash, bair, dair, both ground and aerial hammers? Fsmash is just a good all-around killer with good range. Usmash is fairly quick and can kill light characters off the top easily. Bair and dair both are excellent gimping moves (although Bair can kill at high %'s or when fresh). And then the hammers are his true powerhouse moves. The aerial hammer has the two hits which gives you a chance to hit if you miss the first hit, and the second has a very low, almost semi-spike, trajectory. The hammer on the ground is Kirby's most powerful move save fully charged Fsmash. It can kill at like, 80% on some characters.

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
I guess it's better to say instead of No KO moves less than others. =/ He does have enough in my opinion. F-Smash and the Hammer definitely make great KO moves.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Is Kirby a good main? Good enough for all of us. :laugh: And good enough to be competitive. Could be lower High Tier...whether you believe in tiers or not doesn't matter.

He has several killing moves. And ground hammer can kill Mario at under 100%. He also has generally good priority.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
I disagree, Kirby is most likely going to be placed in middle middle tier. He is just an average character, and he is great in the hands of SOME people, but not all.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I disagree, Kirby is most likely going to be placed in middle middle tier. He is just an average character, and he is great in the hands of SOME people, but not all.
I hate to have to agree with Redux here, the ways things our going in the smashworld Kirby will be lucky to b Hi Tier

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Bnana, have u ever used hammer? or Fsmash, or downB, or downsmash, or upthrow, or bair, or dair??????

i think u should take a fresh look at Kirby

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to use Kirby as a secondary to DK. My problem matches are Dedede and Olimar. How does Kirby tend to fare in these fights? DK handles most matches that Kirby has trouble with (MK, Marth, etc.).

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Kirby has a pretty good matchup against both characters. Kirby has a superior air game to Olimar, and can copy his ability to hinder camping. Kirby is quite a bit faster than Dedede, and can punish his laggy moves. Gimping him is also pretty easy as well.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Olimar isn't too bad in the air, F and Bair have a lot of range and decent power, and I believe they outrange Kirby too. But most high-level Oli's tend to stick to the ground and punish aerial opponents with pikmin toss and shield grab, or Usmash. Even Kirby has a a hard time approaching from the air. Usmash can kill Kirby fairly early, so you have to be careful. On the ground Oli's grab outranges everything Kirby has. Even if Kirby copies, his copied pikmin toss is much worse than Olimar's and Oli can still camp because of the properties of his own pikmin toss and his shield grab.

Kirby is faster, but Dedede has superious rnge and power. AFAIK Dedede can grab punish all or Kirby's aerials with his huge grab range. I don't know how you can gimp Dedede either. His UpB alone lets him recover from just about anywhere, he has one of the best recoveries in the game.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I know it's kinda nubbish, but when I face a REALLY campy olimar that just spams pikmin until I come attack him, I tend to just spam final cutter. It has a longer range, ACTUALLY has stun, and kills all his pikmin. After he tries to pick some more, I rush in for the grab ^_^ But against olimar, like brahma said, you have to be a bit careful.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Olimar isn't too bad in the air, F and Bair have a lot of range and decent power, and I believe they outrange Kirby too. But most high-level Oli's tend to stick to the ground and punish aerial opponents with pikmin toss and shield grab, or Usmash. Even Kirby has a a hard time approaching from the air. Usmash can kill Kirby fairly early, so you have to be careful. On the ground Oli's grab outranges everything Kirby has. Even if Kirby copies, his copied pikmin toss is much worse than Olimar's and Oli can still camp because of the properties of his own pikmin toss and his shield grab.

Kirby is faster, but Dedede has superious rnge and power. AFAIK Dedede can grab punish all or Kirby's aerials with his huge grab range. I don't know how you can gimp Dedede either. His UpB alone lets him recover from just about anywhere, he has one of the best recoveries in the game.
Well obviously you know more about the matchup than you led me to believe. I'm actually pretty inexperienced, and I just used points brought up in the matchup thread to form my argument. If you have a disagreement, you might get better replies over in that thread.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I think Kirby is a really good character. But he does have tough match ups. R.O.B., DDD, Metaknight. But my secondaries will be able to handle those type of characters. I really like Kirby's moveset and Kirby as a character. I think I finally found my main character. =)

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Well obviously you know more about the matchup than you led me to believe. I'm actually pretty inexperienced, and I just used points brought up in the matchup thread to form my argument. If you have a disagreement, you might get better replies over in that thread.
Well, most of this is just looking at the fight on paper. I haven't actually played either of these matchups yet, so it's basically all theory from what I kow of Oli/DDD and Kirby.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
D3's recovery is easy to gimp actually... I have no Idea why people say it's one of his good points. The peak of the arc is bad for D3, the drill kills his recovery also. you can kill D3 pretty easily if you know what your doing.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
But coupled with his multiple air jumps he has fairly quick aerials with high priority. Uair will beat out drill kick if timed correctly, and Fair/reversed Bair can beat out approaches from the front.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
But coupled with his multiple air jumps he has fairly quick aerials with high priority. Uair will beat out drill kick if timed correctly, and Fair/reversed Bair can beat out approaches from the front.
Well that's another approach that can be dealt with mind games kirby has a clear advantage if he is edge guarding because he can attack more freely and Bair comes out fast than D3's fair. D3 still has to worry about how many jumps he has left. Kirby also has less lag on his moves except maybe nair and dair. Dair only comes in when he uses his last jump forcing him to do his up b.

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
kirby is floaty and delicious. he's very hard to combo and he is so much better than he was in melee. i say u have nothing to lose if u practice with him

Rollo

Smash Rookie
If I hadn't played kirby games as a kid I would probably have never chosen kirby as my main. I beleieve the reason I stay with him is because hes so much FUN. The satisfaction you get from a win is unlike any other character IMO. So if you want to venture out from the high tier/broken characters, you should choose kirby.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I think captain falcon wins for most satisfaction from winning lol

Personally I just played all the characters and kirby's playstyle was my favorite. That is probably the best way to pick a main.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Kirby is a very fun character to mix it up with too, I have to agree.

Nothing feels better as well when people start licking their chops going, "Aw yeah, easy win..." when you pick Kirby then a good hammer smacks them to their doom =)

Plus you can't get away from Kirby, makes girls go "Awww!"

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
CONS
Slow movement - not if you SHFF his moves and learn how he moves really well
No real K.O moves
Light so easily K.O'd
Short Range
Lost most Kirbycides
^B has no recovery worth - Up-B has saved my *** so many times its not funny. It DEFINITELY has vertical recovery worth.
Slow dash speed

Well I should list the...

PROS
Great Recovery
Kirbycides!
Two spikes
Copy ability
Can turn Opponents into projectiles(starshot)
Lowest crouch in the game
B/c he is not a very popular tournament character many people will not know how to handle Kirby's unusual combat abilities
FENCE OF PAIN
awesome sir and edge guaridng
Combos
Grabs
Throws
B-air
Edited for Correctness :p

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Kirby seems to be a very good character to main. Practice vs MK a ton. Every other character you shouldn't have too much problems with.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
why does that list say no real k.o. moves. as if kirbys fsmash, upsmash, hammer, and downsmash are fake k.o. moves.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Please. This thread got necro'd back by a *cough* n00b.

*looks at post count*

*cries in a corner*

Anyway. This is pointless discussion. Isn't it? I highly doubt that the TC needs the advice anymore.

Top Bottom