• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby 1.11 Patch Changelog Thread

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
These shield stun changes don't affect Kirby all that much. I'd argue that it helps more than hurts.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Are you kidding? Kirby and Megaman are GREAT pals. Megaman and his pellets keep this guy :4sonic: from rolling right over Kirby and zones out potential threats like :4dk: and :4luigi: well. And in turn, Kirby makes a great answer/check to a lot of the rushdown characters like :4sheik:,:4zss:,:4falcon:, and :4fox: that would not give Megaman any breathing room thanks to his ability to force them to approach and/or combo them severely.
I just wanna know, which bad matchup do they have in common since the uidate? Do they need a 3rd wheel?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I just wanna know, which bad matchup do they have in common since the uidate? Do they need a 3rd wheel?
If you want to cover ever character in the game, probably. Kirby has to be careful around disjointed so characters, but Kirby can handle most of them and Megaman takes care of most handily anyway. I think :4pit::4darkpit: would be the only ones problematic for both but Kirby can beat them from my experience. I can imagine shielding against their sword will be harder but power shielding arrows will be easier (even though we can crouch). I personally cant' see that matchup changing TOO much.

I might not know all of Megaman's matchups like the back of my palm but I can see the both of them having a hard time against :4yoshi: but less so for Megaman. And while not as hard as Yoshi, I'd keep an eye on :4pikachu: too. Kirby has other difficult or tricky matchups, but they all seem doable and/or could likely be backed by Megaman.

But if you want know more, you should take the discussion to the Competitive thread. Don't want to annoy Reserved. hehe.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
If you want to cover ever character in the game, probably. Kirby has to be careful around disjointed so characters, but Kirby can handle most of them and Megaman takes care of most handily anyway. I think :4pit::4darkpit: would be the only ones problematic for both but Kirby can beat them from my experience. I can imagine shielding against their sword will be harder but power shielding arrows will be easier (even though we can crouch). I personally cant' see that matchup changing TOO much.

I might not know all of Megaman's matchups like the back of my palm but I can see the both of them having a hard time against :4yoshi: but less so for Megaman. And while not as hard as Yoshi, I'd keep an eye on :4pikachu: too. Kirby has other difficult or tricky matchups, but they all seem doable and/or could likely be backed by Megaman.

But if you want know more, you should take the discussion to the Competitive thread. Don't want to annoy Reserved. hehe.
Leaf Shield can hold Pikachu back a little bit. I'll agree that the Pits are both troublesome match ups for the both of them, but I think Kirby has an overall easier time compared to Mega Man, albeit slightly. The Pits are some of my secondaries, so I know that much.

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
i dunno if anyone has asked but is stone safe on shield if you cancel before hitting the ground? i haven't been able to test it myself.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
i dunno if anyone has asked but is stone safe on shield if you cancel before hitting the ground? i haven't been able to test it myself.
Stone has pretty massive end lag, so I really wouldn't count on it. The shield stun changes shouldn't help you that much here. It can usually be punished with an U-Smash or something. Grounding Stone is a lot safer because of less end lag, but probably still not completely safe.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Stone's safety is really dubious. If you hit the shield once before cancelling, you're more likely to be safe because of the pushback and Kirby's elevation. Getting both hits on shield may be more dangerous, though sometimes you can surprise people with an aerial due to them overestimating stone's endlag.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or I can pressure shields way better now? I seem to be able to space out tilts and if someone was holding their shield I can just hit it a lot in a row and getting it pretty small.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
21 days have passed. How do you guys feel now about Kirby after this patch? Personally I think it's a little harder to win with him now that movement is much more needed than defense (I've played in a tournament this weekend, the Sheik matchup felt much harder), and his aerials are not feeling as safe on Shield as I wanted. I have the feeling a buff may come on the next patch, but for now I may concentrate myself on Puff and Ness. Maybe is my aggressive playstyle, but it's like he got the short end of the stick this time. What do you fellow Kirby mains think?

Last edited:
Top Bottom