• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kingkong's Monthlies # 1

Stroumbert

Smash Apprentice
By the way, I'll only be entering singles (as always), so I'll probably only arrive at around 2:00-2:30 PM.

swordgard

Smash Hero
swordgard u mad?
I can deal with getting planked for 8 minutes, I have for a while now, holy always does it to me to some extent, depending on how pressured he feels. I don't like seeing stroumbert step it up to beat holy, and then holy denying him any chance by going on the ledge. Not so much mad as annoyed as to how this game does not receive any balance updates or fixes. I don't really blame holy, he played well within the rules defined. I just think its kind of stupid just how one sided this makes matches. Putting on a LGL annoys me just as much as not having one, due to how arbitrary it is, the solution would eventually be to ban the character since the issue is not the ledge but rather the character. I just don't think this is ever gonna happen, which means settle with non-competitively viable settings(no LGL), or go for nerfing the character abitrarily. So yeah, it kind of annoys me that communities have to deal with this type of problem.

If you plank and get hit by ice blocks because you mispace, you are still planking, there is no way to get around the skewed risk/reward ratio. If you are doing it wrong, you are still attempting to do it and abuse the ledge mechanics. This is why I wouldn't like a no planking rule either, that is just so not enforceable. Holy taking 8% over the course of 3 minutes of planking=/=you can beat planking. A similar strategy would be to allow ics to chaingrab forever to stall out opponents and remove any trip chance they have.

edit: Pantheon getting nerfed totally makes up for this though.

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
no reason for MK to be banned. if he is... then make a rule that prevents a DDD to face Marth or Pikachew to face Fox or even Ice Climbers alltogether because they have an infinite (if you don't F*** up).

What I just stated about DDD, Pikachew and Ice Climbers makes no sence to ban them.. so I don't see a point to banning MK. We have new CP's now that allow us to produce more bullsh**. (Port Town, Green Greens, Japes, and probably more (depending who you use.)

I say people lose to (arguably) the second best player in Canada and people get pissed and blame everything on the character.

that's pathetic.

btw... TOURNY ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I give extra credit to Techiyo and Strombert this tourny. THEY ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!

swordgard

Smash Hero
no reason for MK to be banned. if he is... then make a rule that prevents a DDD to face Marth or Pikachew to face Fox or even Ice Climbers alltogether because they have an infinite (if you don't F*** up).

What I just stated about DDD, Pikachew and Ice Climbers makes no sence to ban them.. so I don't see a point to banning MK. We have new CP's now that allow us to produce more bullsh**. (Port Town, Green Greens, Japes, and probably more (depending who you use.)

I say people lose to (arguably) the second best player in Canada and people get pissed and blame everything on the character.

that's pathetic.

btw... TOURNY ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I give extra credit to Techiyo and Strombert this tourny. THEY ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!
You have no idea what you are talking about tbh. You have no evidence to back up anything you brought up, the arguments for banning MK are completely unrelated to D3 or ics or pikachu. You have not been planked for 8 minutes over multiple tourneys. Holy can beat a lot of players by outsmarting them, but when he loses and simply resorts to planking, thats just plain unfair tbh.

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
You have no idea what you are talking about tbh. You have no evidence to back up anything you brought up, the arguments for banning MK are completely unrelated to D3 or ics or pikachu. You have not been planked for 8 minutes over multiple tourneys. Holy can beat a lot of players by outsmarting them, but when he loses and simply resorts to planking, thats just plain unfair tbh.

I say who cares how unfair it is. didn't Strombert beat Holy on Japes. That's a perfect example of taking a stage to your advantage. and yes, I saw that game, and Holy WAS planking that one.

I say NO characters should be banned in brawl for whatever reasons.

I bet you can give me 100 reasons why Ice Climbers should NOT be banned......... and personally for me, planking or not, MK should NOT be banned.

and btw, I'm guessing you didn't see my match at APEX against that MK main (forgot his name)... it was him, a Japanese Falco, the Zelda main and others. The MK player was FIRST in our pools and I can ASSURE you he planked on PS1.

I still ended up winning that match somehow..... but not the first game on Smashville.

Planking is a bitc*, it sucks and i got really pissed at APEX.

MK is the best and still should NOT be banned...... just main MK. lol

......... I guess my point was ban more than just MK or DON'T ban ...............in this case....... DON'T ban...

swordgard

Smash Hero
I say who cares how unfair it is. didn't Strombert beat Holy on Japes. That's a perfect example of taking a stage to your advantage. and yes, I saw that game, and Holy WAS planking that one.

I say NO characters should be banned in brawl for whatever reasons.

I bet you can give me 100 reasons why Ice Climbers should NOT be banned......... and personally for me, planking or not, MK should NOT be banned.

and btw, I'm guessing you didn't see my match at APEX against that MK main (forgot his name)... it was him, a Japanese Falco, the Zelda main and others. The MK player was FIRST in our pools and I can ASSURE you he planked on PS1.

I still ended up winning that match somehow..... but not the first game on Smashville.

Planking is a bitc*, it sucks and i got really pissed at APEX.

MK is the best and still should NOT be banned...... just main MK. lol

......... I guess my point was ban more than just MK or DON'T ban ...............in this case....... DON'T ban...
Except you have no evidence, no argument. I can show you beyond the shadow of a doubt that planking cannot be beaten. I just have to link you to DMGs thread. I can then explain to you why making a LGL is not only fully arbitrary, but it has to be either non-discrete or innefective, which makes it a terrible rule. Or you can say "no planking" but thats unenforceable and arbitrary too. Coupled with the fact that we already have a non-enforceable rule on MK(no IDC=lol so not enforceable), banning MK is what should be done, but its just not doable due to the composition of the BBR.

No offence guard, but you often bring up things you can't back up with reason, I doubt you have a very well thought-out opinion on this. Its not all about how you feel about the character, but rather on whether he breaks the balance of the game and disrupts the viability of competition in the game. To you I may come off as just "johnning about losing to Holy", but honestly I don't care whether holy is better or not, I do care though about the viability of competition. But you probably don't think thats the case so oh well, can't do anything about that.

edit: If you beat a planking MK with fox, hes doing something wrong lmao.

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
btw Sword....technically speaking, Opinions are NEVER wrong. They are just opinions........opinions that people will agree with you with, or disagree. So I say who cares on the subject.....your taking it WAY to serious.

TOURNY WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!!! I SIMPLY LOVE WATCHING UPSET / PLAYERS PLAY GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom