• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KingChaos' return!

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
haha bet it would. My melee days were over a long time ago. I was pretty good but never went to tourny's back then I was but a weeteen. I just played with a couple people that did and they always told me I'd do well with my Samus.

Litt

Samus
yeah the metagame was serverly underdeveloped back then, so what was ok-good then, is very mediocre now. You also have to consider the quality of players telling you, that you would do well, and that the region you were and are in, does not have many quality players (today's standards).

Last edited:

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Oh definitely and from all I knew back then they were really good. You ever heard of Pyrogamer, and Vidjogamer? They could play a lot of chars well. I'm fairly confident I would have did pretty good. I knew a lot then that I utilize still to this day. I'm definitely better now but as a teen I could commit large amounts of time into my play and had my brother shugo to play with which has always been of great use in me getting better. In brawl my samus play was among the best in the game as I was told by many and how I did at my few tourneys I went to (although this is like saying who is the smartest kid in a slow class cuz of how bad she sucked lol) Project m samus is definitely its own take on the character with carry over from brawl and melee and new PM stuff. I think the stuff they brought from brawl like her buffed zair usefulness, buffed usmash and fair, with the old melee techs is a great mix and one I will be soon using very efficiently to lay waste to my opponents out there. I just hope i'm right and I can show she is someone to fear in this game.

Litt

Samus
If anything they buffed the up air, not the fair, as for those two players, I have not heard of them, but I was never in the brawl scene, I didn't like the game much and samus was godawful

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
You don't like the new fair over the melee one? Also they were melee players back in the day not brawl. And as for brawl samus I found her fun still to use and partly because of how much crap people would give me for picking Samus right before I owned them with her. The best time was at my first offline tourney. This marth main said Samus?..you now what your doing kid? I 2-0'd him easy and his friends laughed at him as I left him speechless. hahahaha one of my favorite moments in smash.

Litt

Samus
The melee fair was much more difficult to smash DI out of it, and its last hitbox didn't knock the opponent farther away to kill the combo, never heard of them, and I just didn't find brawl to be an enjoyable game

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
ah gotcha been so long since I played melee I I forgot about that tid bit. But yea understandably so. The game is flawed in so many ways. Reason why I quit it back in 2010.

Litt

Samus
Yeah, its not flaws in many ways... PM has so many more noticeable flaws... especially the built in 1 frame lag

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
How is it not flawed in many ways? There is little to no hitstun. Easy free chain grabs some leading from 0 to death by IC's, grab release exploits like crazy on Ness, Lucas, and Wario so much so all you need is 3 grabs and you won the match with a few chars, Samus' pummel doesn't even hit Bowser, then you have MetaKnight who far exceeds the rest of the cast to the point it not even funny. This is just to name a few things that make this game silly compared to melee or PM. I feel like it is very flawed and think this game has done a really good job so far restoring this game to how it was but still different from melee like how there are a lot more viable match ups at least that is how it seems so far.

Litt

Samus
Umm sorry, but I think you are talking about brawl.... because Lucas and Wario were definitely not in melee, I actually have no clue wtf you are talking about here. Pm just threw a bunch of new mechanics in attempts to ballance out the character that were not fairing as well as the more technical ones, however they ended up just making the game impossbile to play any technical characters on the lower level of play, even to the medium because you need to be near perfect with all the old unmodded melee character, versus you just play squrtal and you just jump around in your shell and are smaller than pichu.... or all the crap they gave to bowser.... This game only becomes semi even at the highest level of play, with really no one here is at and what you say is ballanced is because you dont play any of the technical characters to understand how unfair the characters you are using are.... it takes zero tech skill or practice to short hop fire ball 3 times with mario for free and amazing shield pressure....

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
oh yes I was most definitely talking about brawl. I was addressing your last point in the post before that. My bad if I didn't make that clear to you. Just kinda assumed you knew what I was talking about I guess. Melee is great.

Litt

Samus
Yeah... I was talking about PM having more flaws than melee

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
And lastly I agree this game is not perfect and it is an experiment that is still a working progress. I was saying that it seems balanced so far but is likely due to the fact everyone is still very new to match ups and the un evolved metagame.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
But hey I will rep Samus to the fullest of my extent as long as I can make it to some tourneys in the near future. I consider you my first PM mentor and will put everything you told me to great use. I have a knack for playing Samus in a way most people just can't even handle I believe and we will see for sure when I get out there! Thanks again for all the great advice and feedback Klit.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Umm sorry, but I think you are talking about brawl.... because Lucas and Wario were definitely not in melee, I actually have no clue wtf you are talking about here. Pm just threw a bunch of new mechanics in attempts to ballance out the character that were not fairing as well as the more technical ones, however they ended up just making the game impossbile to play any technical characters on the lower level of play, even to the medium because you need to be near perfect with all the old unmodded melee character, versus you just play squrtal and you just jump around in your shell and are smaller than pichu.... or all the crap they gave to bowser.... This game only becomes semi even at the highest level of play, with really no one here is at and what you say is ballanced is because you dont play any of the technical characters to understand how unfair the characters you are using are.... it takes zero tech skill or practice to short hop fire ball 3 times with mario for free and amazing shield pressure....
The game isn't perfect sure, but I think you're seriously underselling all that the PMBR have done. They didn't just "throw in" any new mechanics, they just kept the beneficial ones from brawl. And I imagine AGT is just a side-effect of having the melee air dodge in Brawl's engine, and it's a super interesting technique so no loss.

The only real flaws I see in the game are the obvious lack of polish on the single player stuff and the records, but that will come with time and is of little importance. I guess Lucario's super sphere looks a little silly? I got nothing.

They've done a wonderful job of balancing the game. Not all characters should have to be super tech heavy to be played moderately well. Mario sucks to deal with, until you learn to deal with him, just like most characters. Some characters should be noob friendly, so it's easy to pick the game up and perform decently. That doesn't make them unfair, it just makes their learning curve easier. This allows people to become invested in PM, which is what the community needs. If someone wants to play technical characters at a low level, they certainly still can. I played this game casually for months and never had a problem with any of the easy characters being unfair. And c'mon, Marth and Falcon are both top tier in melee, not the most technical guys around.

Noah Nelson

Smash Rookie
Completely agree with you on this one, I was just playing with a friend yesterday, we play nearly every character from melee. As samus is my main my friend plays mario. He is very beatable and just like every other character. I believe that everyone has their own advantages and whatnot like you stated. In brawl however, i see slight disadvantages for players that have a double character.. (falco-fox) (falcon-ganon) I just feel like one or the other is more powerful, making the other completely pointless, Lucas sucks hard compared to ness.

Litt

Samus
The game isn't perfect sure, but I think you're seriously underselling all that the PMBR have done. They didn't just "throw in" any new mechanics, they just kept the beneficial ones from brawl. And I imagine AGT is just a side-effect of having the melee air dodge in Brawl's engine, and it's a super interesting technique so no loss.

The only real flaws I see in the game are the obvious lack of polish on the single player stuff and the records, but that will come with time and is of little importance. I guess Lucario's super sphere looks a little silly? I got nothing.

They've done a wonderful job of balancing the game. Not all characters should have to be super tech heavy to be played moderately well. Mario sucks to deal with, until you learn to deal with him, just like most characters. Some characters should be noob friendly, so it's easy to pick the game up and perform decently. That doesn't make them unfair, it just makes their learning curve easier. This allows people to become invested in PM, which is what the community needs. If someone wants to play technical characters at a low level, they certainly still can. I played this game casually for months and never had a problem with any of the easy characters being unfair. And c'mon, Marth and Falcon are both top tier in melee, not the most technical guys around.
I'm sorry but WHAT MARTH AND FALCON AREN'T TECHNICAL?!?!?!?!!?!
Pleaseeee look this over, and get your head out of your ass sir ^_^
http://smashboards.com/threads/kadano’s-perfect-marth-class—advanced-frame-data-application.337035/#post-15564006

Yeah you are a PM player, but just because Marth and Falcon are in PM, and no one really good plays this game, doesn't mean characters aren't techinical, its just lack of knowledge on your part to make such incorrect claims.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Alright, maybe my phrasing was off. Everyone in the game is "technical". I'm just saying that Marth and Falcon are super easy to pick up and play at a low level because they don't have very much character specific tech and all of their moves are very obvious in application. This is exactly what you were complaining about with Mario, Squirtle, etc. I can understand being a little bitter that it's so easy to play a bunch of the cast when you've chosen to main someone as tech-heavy and demanding as Samus, but that doesn't make the game unbalanced or unfair. You just have to work a little harder that's all. And the pay-off is worth in in my opinion. It's just much more fun to play a character with many options and nuances.

no one really good plays this game
wut

Litt

Samus
There are no really well known marth or Falcon pm players.... wuttt didn't you understand about that?

Chevy

Smash Ace
There are no really well known marth or Falcon pm players.... wuttt didn't you understand about that?
You didn't specify Falcon and Marth. And let's not argue context here because that's going down a silly road. I don't know the professional scene all that well but haven't Ken and Azen both started playing PM?

Litt

Samus
lol, neither of them are currently active and Ken just got his sponsor, it will be a while if ever he becomes a top player again

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Adding to that list: Leffen, KDJ, Fly, DEHF, HBox, Plup, VWins, DJ Nintendo, Chu, Chillendude, Nintendude, Fuzzy. There's a bunch more too but I'm too lazy to go dig for names. Plenty of really good people play this game.

Litt

Samus
Adding to that list: Leffen, KDJ, Fly, DEHF, HBox, Plup, VWins, DJ Nintendo, Chu, Chillendude, Nintendude, Fuzzy. There's a bunch more too but I'm too lazy to go dig for names. Plenty of really good people play this game.
ARE YOU GUYS JUST STUPID?!? NO GOOD MARTH OR FALCON PLAYERS.....

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I think the way you worded it (as Lordling bolded in his quote of yours) made it confusing. Yeah can't really argue there aren't any really good Marth or Falcon players (at least to my knowledge). It's gonna take a while for really good Falcon and Marth mains to appear. The top players from melee and brawl that are playing this game seem to gravitate towards other characters (which you can see by looking at tourney results), which leaves the rest of the players to not only solidify their fundamentals and catch up to the top players, but also learn the match ups on all the different stages. I think Samus is in a similar situation.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Hax barely plays the game, and never practices PM, you cannot consider him a PM player at all. He just takes peoples money by playing a game he doesnt even own... just like armada...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Does anyone really own a copy of PM?

I mean, you may not own a copy of brawl, but if you have that PM codeset, is that complete lack of ownership? What about vice versa? It's really important we discuss this.

Last edited:

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Hax is just hax I guess. Doesn't need to actually play the game much to be amazing.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Smash is Smash. Just because someone plays Melee and transfers their gameplay to PM for a bit does NOT exclude them as a PM player. That's just common sense. If I'm correct M2K doesn't even own a smash game anymore. Also before Roy in 3.0, Sethlon threw down a killer Marth. If we're being picky.

Top Bottom