• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King of the House Results

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I remember you
Your ike was definitely pretty good for your first tournament, talk to blink about some ike stuff.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
More tournaments need a full bar, I probably would've gone insane running two pools without the calming powers of whiskey. And rum. And gin. And then much later vodka. Just about all complaints I'd normally have just melt away when there's plentiful alcohol available.

Now that you've got your first hosting experience out of the way you'll know what needs fixing for next time to make it all go smoother. My big question is why can't the guy with the brackets handy also call out matches over the mic? Having a middleman to write down matches and call them out seems wasteful when you've got a good microphone set up.

My consolation prize for getting 4th (i.e. the first spot to not get money) in both singles tournaments was a free drink, so that was cool :)

S.O.S.- Man I wish half my bracket forefitted to me; at least I took my beating like a man.
Disafter- I'd love to blame the drinks but you way outplayed me, especially in that second match. But hey, revenge in PM.
Bluezaft- It amazes me how well we work together in melee teams and how awful we work together in PM teams... gotta practice!
Lunchables- They grow up so fast! Remind me to counterpick you somewhere big next time... I always underestimate Toon Link's kill moves.
Penguin- Must steal more Falco tech.
Thoraxe- Next time I'll try to be drunker.
WaterlessFishie- Some days you just suck, can't be explained. You did really well in teams at least.
Denti- Ugh more Puff players to worry about, you're doing way too good for only being 4 weeks in. I'll try to get good enough fight you in bracket in PM next time.
WTBlake- Sheiks represent.
Awestin- Way to beat me in pools then go 0-2 in bracket lol, congrats on PM of course.
Aerolink- Our set was like 15 minutes of not being able to kill each other, very strange. It feels like Link shuts down Mario but that may just be the salt talking.
Billy aka The Game Genie- Sweet sweet revenge! Good luck with getting TLOC off the ground.
CORY- Quit Ganondorf n00b. Or at least get a secondary to deal with some of his bad matchups (aka all matchups).
Blink- We barely spoke at this it was so busy, gotta fix that next time.

My Melee pool- sucks that Awestin got thrown in at the last second and took somebody's spot. Shoutouts to Richie for coming ever so close to keeping me out of bracket altogether.

My PM pool- OMG guys how the hell do you have a perfect 3-way tie for 2nd place? Congrats to Darkgun for making it out of the runback pool.

D

Deleted member

Marios pills are stupid, they're like 8% per hit and they lead into his great kill moves
it's only fair that toonlink/link can whack you with their nonsense :estatic:

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Awesome tournament, awesome venue, huge thanks to the hosts!

Now, we need to talk about pools.

Pools are a great way of letting everyone get in plenty of tournament play and seeding a slimmed-down bracket. They are also extremely setup- and time-intensive. Which is fine if a tournament features only one game.

For tournaments that feature 2 or more games, pools should be not be used. Running 2 tournaments with pools is a lot more than twice the normal time. In a dual-game tournament, you only have roughly half the setups as at a single-game tournament, since setups are split between Melee and PM. Pools also require constant attention, so people being away from a pool in order to play teams or other pools can easily double the time to finish that pool. All in all, pools at a dual-game tournament take around 4 times as long as pools at a single-game tournament.

I know pools are fun, but with the Dallas scene as big as it is, we have a lot more to gain by going straight bracket for any dual-game tournament. Here’s why:

-With pools, people leave before bracket even begins. People are exhausted and burnt out on smash and stop caring about the results of the tournament. Somehow this has become standard at tournaments with pools, and it’s a shame, because the spectacle of the advancing bracket is a big reason why tournaments are fun.

-With people leaving, the bracket becomes filled with forfeits and loses meaning. This past Sunday Melee didn’t even have Winners Finals or Losers Finals because I had to leave and forfeit the rest of my games. And the PM bracket hadn’t even started when I had to leave.

-For Pho House, this means money. Less $ paid to all the employees staying late and smaller overhead costs like utilities. Maybe savings from this will also dissuade management from raising the venue fee to $15 or $20, which is likely going to be a deal breaker for a lot of players.

The entire pools phase at Sunday’s tournament lasted around 8 hours. That means, if you entered both singles events, you were able to play 10-12 tournament sets, maybe an hour and a half’s worth of gameplay, and then spent the rest of those 8 hours waiting. This is not a good use of time. You could be using this time playing friendlies with many other people or watching brackets progress.

The biggest con to cutting pools in dual-game tournaments is that players won’t be able to play as many people in tournament. But I really think that the ability to play more friendlies once the bracket thins out is more than a worthy substitution given everything we stand to gain by streamlining tournaments.

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
-With people leaving, the bracket becomes filled with forfeits and loses meaning. This past Sunday Melee didn’t even have Winners Finals or Losers Finals because I had to leave and forfeit the rest of my games. And the PM bracket hadn’t even started when I had to leave.
So you recognize you didn't play wf. why did you walk out with 2nd place money when you deserved 3rd place money?
GF didn't happen either because you walked out with over 100 dollars that wasn't yours and it would've been extremely unfair to whomever would've lost in gf so Disafter and SOS split first and third place money when they should've played for first and second place money.

Seems hella shady.

Also I was of the opinion the lost money should've been accounted for out of the venue fee, since it's partly on the TOs for not confirming with SOS, but I didn't feel like voicing it at the time since I didn't want to cause anymore drama and I knew the idea wouldn't have gone smoothly with the venue.

Last edited:

bluezaft

The True Zaft
My 30% was not taken from 2nd place, it was the 10% for 3rd plus 20% from SOS's cut, for whatever he placed. I established this with SOS and the tournament organizer, and whoever got 2nd (or 1st, had SOS lost in GFs) would have been unaffected. I'm not sure why you're trying to attack me? All that happened was SOS and I split our winnings rather than play out our sets because I had to go. I don't actually know what went down after I left, but it shouldn't have been a problem since the TO and I went over this.

Last edited:

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
so you're saying in return for forfeiting to SOS he gave you 20% of first place money?
none of this was communicated to anyone sunday night. the only thing we knew was that you left with 2nd place money and the TOs seemed to know as little as the rest of us.

Last edited:

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
We apologize for not completely understanding where the 30% cut came from, we should have realized it and resolved the issue at the time. If another issue like this happens, we will take responsibility and account for the fee ourselves.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Wait, so was SOS paid the full 60% and John only paid 10%? Oh geez, what a mess, this was not SOS and my best idea. If that's what happened, I'll pay John the amount he's missing and then SOS can make up the difference to me when I see him next.

I thought we had been clear, but I guess we failed in communicating things, especially me. It was not our intention to mess with the pot, sorry about that.

Penguin_ftw

Smash Apprentice
This is what the bracket looked like for those curious

Bluezaft left before Winners Finals so WF, LF, and GF never actually happened D:

S.O.S.

Smash Lord
My 30% was not taken from 2nd place, it was the 10% for 3rd plus 20% from SOS's cut, for whatever he placed. I established this with SOS and the tournament organizer, and whoever got 2nd (or 1st, had SOS lost in GFs) would have been unaffected. I'm not sure why you're trying to attack me? All that happened was SOS and I split our winnings rather than play out our sets because I had to go. I don't actually know what went down after I left, but it shouldn't have been a problem since the TO and I went over this.

^ This is false. When me and Bluezaft had to play in WF he came up to me and asked me to forfeit to him so i could be sent to losers finals(Apparently he had work super early the next day) if i did so then he would split 1st and 2nd with me because he had to go and didn't want to play the set (Johns <3) i told him verbatim "You can't buy victory" he then flipped the proposition around and said he would forfeit to me on the spot and leave if he get's to have 30% of the total pot. (2nd places winnings) I said sure for three reasons, 1 it's not my responsibility to handle and negotiate the money, it's the TO's responsibility to do that. 2 That's just one less player i have to compete with to make that 1st place money. 3 I was quite skeptical if he could actually convince the Tournament operator to do it before the tournament was even over... he did though. Once me and John (Disafter) were supposed to play in GF He was mad because his money was already cut into (Seeing as how he's automatically 2nd place due to bluezaft forfeiting) he also had to beat me 2 sets of 3 out of 5 when i only needed to win one set, top it off that it was already like 1am and i felt bad for him so i offered to split the remaining money with him. (1st and 3rd added together and then split 50/50) so my potential $454 dollars was dramatically reduced to a mere $257 due to major collusion and money being handed out before the tournament was over. I'm not salty at all, i still had a ton of fun but that kinda shenannigans shouldn't occur in future tournaments.

p.s. It's Pho houses first tournament so i'm not judging them but for future reference don't let anyone alter and our take the money until the tournament has ended. Best case scenario is bluezaft should have left with 3rd place winnings (Because since he forfeited that's the place he got)

p.s.s. I never agreed to cut 20% of my winnings to you bluezaft aka Chris, Why would i agree to cut my potential winnings when i traveled on a bus for 5 hours just to attend this tournament to make some money? I respect you as a player but don't twist what went down. You just didn't want to risk the chance of losing and not getting any sleep for work the next day. That's my opinion of it at least.

-S.O.S.

Last edited:

bluezaft

The True Zaft
^ This is false. When me and Bluezaft had to play in WF he came up to me and asked me to forfeit to him so i could be sent to losers finals(Apparently he had work super early the next day) if i did so then he would split 1st and 2nd with me because he had to go and didn't want to play the set (Johns <3) i told him verbatim "You can't buy victory" he then flipped the proposition around and said he would forfeit to me on the spot and leave if he get's to have 30% of the total pot. (2nd places winnings) I said sure for three reasons, 1 it's not my responsibility to handle and negotiate the money, it's the TO's responsibility to do that. 2 That's just one less player i have to compete with to make that 1st place money. 3 I was quite skeptical if he could actually convince the Tournament operator to do it before the tournament was even over... he did though. Once me and John (Disafter) were supposed to play in GF He was mad because his money was already cut into (Seeing as how he's automatically 2nd place due to bluezaft forfeiting) he also had to beat me 2 sets of 3 out of 5 when i only needed to win one set, top it off that it was already like 1am and i felt bad for him so i offered to split the remaining money with him. (1st and 3rd added together and then split 50/50) so my potential $454 dollars was dramatically reduced to a mere $257 due to major collusion and money being handed out before the tournament was over. I'm not salty at all, i still had a ton of fun but that kinda shenannigans shouldn't occur in future tournaments.

p.s. It's Pho houses first tournament so i'm not judging them but for future reference don't let anyone alter and our take the money until the tournament has ended. Best case scenario is bluezaft should have left with 3rd place winnings (Because since he forfeited that's the place he got)

p.s.s. I never agreed to cut 20% of my winnings to you bluezaft aka Chris, Why would i agree to cut my potential winnings when i traveled on a bus for 5 hours just to attend this tournament to make some money? I respect you as a player but don't twist what went down. You just didn't want to risk the chance of losing and not getting any sleep for work the next day. That's my opinion of it at least.

-S.O.S.
WHAT. What is going on? Are you trying to accuse me of stealing or bribing you into losing the tournament? It can’t be both. I don’t understand.

I needed to go home and get sleep, so we agreed to split our winnings rather than play out our matches. What got lost in translation? Why were we good friends when I left that night, and now I’m a thief trying to trick you into losing the tournament?

How could it have all been a ploy to avoid losing the tournament…when I immediately left and forfeited the rest of my matches?

How can you say you never agreed to split our winnings when we went over in detail who gets what %? And you also repeatedly offered to leave my share with Drew after the tournament. To which Drew is a witness.

None of this is logically consistent.

I’m so confused and upset that all this is happening. I may have made some mistakes in communicating, particularly to the TO, but at no point did I try to deceive anyone about anything. At no point did I try to take anything that wasn’t fair and agreed-upon. I don’t steal, and I don’t care that much about money. If this extra $120 rightfully belongs to anyone, tell me and I will give it to you, either by mail or in person the next time I see you. Or I could donate it to a charity of your choice or something.

John, we’ve known each other for almost a decade. We were friends and hugged goodbye after the tournament. What the hell just happened?

Oracle

Smash Master
all this could be solved if bluezaft wasn't such an old man melee grandpa i mean seriously he left the last tournament early to play tennis!!!

also, i need that tio file or at least a bracket image of pm singles.

Last edited:

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was privy to most of the collusion talk.

My understanding was that Bluezaft would take off with 30%, then leave 35% for SOS and me. This of course assumed that I'd make it back to top 3, which didn't actually happen, though the 30/35/35 split still ended up happening with Disafter in my place. I assumed this meant SOS would forfeit to Bluezaft in winners finals in order to guarantee that Bluezaft made top 2 (and thus was entitled to a minimum 30% of the pot) but I was never really clear on that. As mentioned I was also going to collect Bluezaft's winnings once the tournament was over, though this didn't happen since he convinced the TO to hand over the 30% early.

Since I didn't really care about the money (and since I was three drinks in at that point) I was agreeable to whatever. I wouldn't have minded doing a 60/10 split in GFs since SOS came all the way up from SA. But then I lost to Disafter and got 4th so... oops.

Moral of the story: maybe we shouldn't collude, it can cause too much drama and kills a lot of hype.

D

Deleted member

Ok so this is random and off topic but I wanted to say this
@ W WaterlessFishie You SDing in bracket is like... the PERFECT karma for ZachAttax64Dabess. Literally now that I think about it, I could not have asked for anything better LOL

S.O.S.

Smash Lord
I'm not going to argue about it like 5th graders via smashboards.

But i will say that you can't take things/words/events back after they've been done/said bluezaft. Remember the Animorph collection? (If that doesn't get you to crack a smile then nothing will.)

p.s. Once again i respect you as a player and have nothing against you personally, but if you've been at a venue all day like we all have and you're already in WF and only have to play 2 more people (Which is like 15 minutes our so) then you should of just played it. Only reason (In my biased opinion of course) that you would ask me to forfeit and to collude in the first place shows that you weren't confident in winning. 15-20 more minutes isn't going to hurt you as much as the tournament running into the am hours of the night already did. Just stating my pov. I'm out. Hopefully i'll be seeing you all again at KOTH2, until then peace out

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
This is our side of the story -
When melee came down towards the end of the bracket, Bluezaft came with S.O.S to us and explained the situation (they even shook on it in front of us). Bluezaft explained that he would be taking 30% of the cut, part of it from S.O.S. S.O.S went back to the floor, and before we handed out the money we asked Bluezaft to confirm once again with S.O.S. Bluezaft came back with confirmation, and we decided to hand out the 30% cut early so he could leave. After we handed Bluezaft the money, Bluezaft went to go pickup a setup and S.O.S helped him carry his TV out of the venue. Bluezaft never left S.O.S's side after the agreement so they had many opportunities to keep discussing it, therefore we don't see where the misunderstanding is coming from. This all happened from 10:10pm - 10:15pm.

all this could be solved if bluezaft wasn't such an old man melee grandpa i mean seriously he left the last tournament early to play tennis!!!

also, i need that tio file or at least a bracket image of pm singles.
We'll get you that file ASAP.

Last edited:

Zhea

Smash Ace
Just a heads up to the TO, in the future don't get involved with the pot slitting.

Regardless of my personal feelings on it, and whether you allow it, it creates extra work that doesn't help the overall tournament and those who could win the money are not entitled to you sorting it out for them in any other manner then the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place percentages you posted..

People want to split, they can figure it out/tear each other apart themselves over it after the fact.

Last edited:

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I was privy to most of the collusion talk.

My understanding was that Bluezaft would take off with 30%, then leave 35% for SOS and me. This of course assumed that I'd make it back to top 3, which didn't actually happen, though the 30/35/35 split still ended up happening with Disafter in my place. I assumed this meant SOS would forfeit to Bluezaft in winners finals in order to guarantee that Bluezaft made top 2 (and thus was entitled to a minimum 30% of the pot) but I was never really clear on that. As mentioned I was also going to collect Bluezaft's winnings once the tournament was over, though this didn't happen since he convinced the TO to hand over the 30% early.

Since I didn't really care about the money (and since I was three drinks in at that point) I was agreeable to whatever. I wouldn't have minded doing a 60/10 split in GFs since SOS came all the way up from SA. But then I lost to Disafter and got 4th so... oops.

Moral of the story: maybe we shouldn't collude, it can cause too much drama and kills a lot of hype.
Ooookay. I think I had a misunderstanding of what was being split and how. If things went how I thought, then nobody would have been affected other than me and SOS. I thought I was being clear, and SOS probably thought he was being clear, and **** got ****ed up, but in the end I was the one who went home with the $.

That means I owe a huge apology to John/Disafter and the TO. John, I have $60 here with your name on it, as per your 50/50 split with SOS. I can give it to you next time I see you or mail it to you. Just message me your address.

John/SOS, if you want your $60 back as well, that's fine, just message me your address. I don't understand why you keep making these attacks on my character, but right now I want to be rid of this whole thing.

Drew is right about the moral of the story.

D

Deleted member

Ok yeah uhm can we really get that pm bracket?
Even I want the PR to be updated now.

Top Bottom