• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King of the House 2 Results

BIGJOHNSONxPWNS

Smash Apprentice
@ P phởHouse
Would like some feedback on what we could do better, with food, efficiency, how were bracket-pools, anything. Again, thanks everyone!
There was a HUGE gap in between melee pools and bracket (~4 hours). It really threw me off and by the time bracket came around it was late and I was exhausted. I had some intense pool matches that I clutched out and was on a roll but it was hard to keep my momentum through that. I really wasn't expecting that long of a wait and also had things to take care of that I was putting off to play in bracket so that's all I could think about and it made me extremely anxious. I know most of this sounds like johns, but I just thought I'd voice my opinion.

Still one of my favorite tourneys I've been to hands down.

Zhea

Smash Ace
JF continuing the proud tradition of making sure Dallas donates to cities in need. Perhaps this is the return of a more confident JF. Perhaps Houston should be worried.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
@Thoraxe Yeah actually I completely forgot to get Gabe to help with the seeding when melee singles time came. And yeah, KotH3 we'll definitely money match, or DIME if you're going.

Just want to say thanks for everyone that came, we couldn't run the tournament without y'all! DFW Smash crowd is amazing and really well-mannered, just makes our job easier as TOs.

Glad you guys loved the staff, worked hard to get those girls for y'all. ;)
Sorry about not getting the promo girls there, on the bright side the Robust ambassador PROMISED to definitely get them there for KotH3.
Would like some feedback on what we could do better, with food, efficiency, how were bracket-pools, anything. Again, thanks everyone!
I think you guys need a better system of getting people to play. I never had the issue, but a lot of people were complaining that they never heard their names being called despite being in the building. The only way I can think to remedy this would be to get nametags/lanyards, and so it will be easy to be like "Oh hey I think they just called you." Or at least it would make hunting them down easier.

Also, not sure how viable this is, but maybe you guys could have a TV(the one at the bar perhaps?) or maybe even the projector show all the matches that are currently being "called" and what TV they need to be on (It'd definitely have to be down stairs). Just something like "Team A vs Team B - TV 3 - Project M" or "Pool 3 Players A, B, C, D, E, F - TVs 3 and 4 - Melee" kinda like at the DMV.

Also, might be nice to get everyone off the TVs, just for the very first round of the bracket, and the first round of losers just to give the events a kick-start and to begin the eliminations (as evil as that sounds).

You also might want to start enforcing the common5.pac thing for project M, maybe only offer the venue discount to people that have it, or offer to do it at the venue? IDK there were a lot of set ups using it, but there were still a few that weren't and it's so convenient to have.

I don't know, I've never had to run a tournament so I could very well be over looking or simplifying things, but food for thought, no?

But dude, I seriously love this tournament series, pls don't stop.

Last edited:

Jolt135

Smash Rookie
@ EmLeingod EmLeingod We were going to just put up another laptop at the TV at the front desk, but your idea sounds better. We could just put up what matches are active and at what station/TV at the front desk TV, and I think that would help a lot more. Thanks for the idea!

Jolt135

Smash Rookie
@ BIGJOHNSONxPWNS BIGJOHNSONxPWNS Yeah I'll try my best to make sure the pools run smoother and in a more timely manner, but a lot of people were still in PM doubles at the same time and then it overlapped into PM Singles. We couldn't run all the pools at the same time, so there were three or four waves. I'll keep on thinking of ways to improve and I'll enforce the time penalty more but I can't do it if people are in more than one tournament at a time. That's all I can think of at the moment, but thanks for the feedback!

Also, trying to plan for King of the House 3. Right now we're thinking either May 31st, or June 7th, both are on Saturday. What do you guys think?

@Aliami Armador I think the idea about the different colored papers are alright, but I think it would be more efficient to just display matches on the front desk TV. This also prevents people from putting on the tournament side if they're playing friendlies. All TVs are used for tournaments once the Singles Tournaments begin anyways, unless we just get so many more setups next time there won't be spare TVs for friendlies during Singles imo.

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
It looks like the next San Antonio tournament is going to be on May 31st ( http://smashboards.com/threads/may-...i-melee-and-pm-monthly-san-antonio-tx.353418/ ), so June 7th would probably be the better date.

Shout outs!

PhoHouse - There was a bit of confusion / frustration, but honestly thats a given for events this big. You guys put in a ton of work and it showed, thanks for a great tournament! (I also think the idea of having the display TV show the current matches that need to be played is a wonderful idea, and would really help make things clear for when it comes time for someone to play.)

JF - GGs, and congrats taking first! This tournament was sort of testing the waters for me to see if my Sheik would be worth putting more time into, and it seems like she is! Now I just need to grind out the basics so I don't end up killing myself with chains when I go for needle cancel edgehogs haha

Albert - Man, that falco hit me like a force of nature. Devastating combos!

Denti - We did quite well in teams in both events, and we're only gonna get better ;)

TheNotSoShyGuy - I got to watch some of your matches; you're really good for how long you've been playing! Once you start conquering tournament jitters you'll be a force to be reckoned with.

GGs to everyone else! My apologies to all the people who asked me to get games in that I couldn't oblige; entering into all the events kept me a very busy man. We'll get that money match in sometime @WaterlessFishie

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
TheNotSoShyGuy - I got to watch some of your matches; you're really good for how long you've been playing! Once you start conquering tournament jitters you'll be a force to be reckoned with.
That means a lot to me Sethlon, thank you. Despite my tag, I am very shy in person; so hopefully I will be able to get these jitters out of my system soon. I also really want to face you again in the future, to see how much I have come from PARG 2.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah nssg, Iunno why you're so good. You've only been playing since 3.0 and you were a random on wifi, so I thought you'd just flunk in pools but you've done really good at every event you've been to. Some people have been playing for almost a year now and don't make it out of pools

Do work!

OoBubblesoO

Smash Rookie
only thing i didnt like about this tourney was the bracket pools system. i like the swiss pools where i can play everyone.
its good both ways, the bad players get more practice in for the money they're putting in the tourney and the good players can just dumpster more kids and maybe give a few words of advice.

Otherwise, this tournament was a good time for the Style or Die crew. i personally learned a lot this tournament, like what a good puff looks like (McBad) i got rekt lol
venue is sick, servers were helpful and weren't afraid to communicate with smashers.
Was a fun tourney, looking forward to attending future KOTH's.

D

Deleted member

only thing i didnt like about this tourney was the bracket pools system. i like the swiss pools where i can play everyone..
If I recall correctly, Oracle's seeding tournament for Low Tier City 2 called Play a Real Game tried Swiss styled brackets and Project M's singles bracket alone didn't finish until 3AM.

D

Deleted member

No TX tournament finishes until 3 am anyways
C'mon. Lets be honest.

D

Deleted member

I forgot to ask, but has anyone uploaded a collection of photos from the tournament? I would very much like to see them.

seaofdarkness

Smash Rookie
No TX tournament finishes until 3 am anyways
C'mon. Lets be honest.
Yeah. Singles bracket to me seemed to me to be as much about endurance and execution of fundamentals under growing mental fatigue as it was actually playing your opponent. Are there any good ways to practice that endurance other than to make bracket more?

D

Deleted member

Yeah. Singles bracket to me seemed to me to be as much about endurance and execution of fundamentals under growing mental fatigue as it was actually playing your opponent. Are there any good ways to practice that endurance other than to make bracket more?
Only thing I could recommend is get a good nights sleep and eat breakfast so you don't crash mid day (But I do neither of these /lazy)
Making bracket also helps, yknow... being good at this game gets you places lol

Ooooooor you could be like @ Sethlon Sethlon and 3 am is like his 6 pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Find someone or something to watch you. Just the thought of somebody watching you play the game makes you mentally want to play better and I believe it helps me never even want to think about falling asleep. (I'm serious, it's 4AM right now and I've been up practicing off and on for a little over 14 hours. This kind of thing works.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Seth Killian wrote an old article that touched in on this a bit, you might wanna check it out; http://shoryuken.com/2008/07/21/mental-toughness/

Ooooooor you could be like @ Sethlon Sethlon and 3 am is like his 6 pm.
*implying I get a decent nights sleep before tournaments*
Brb, getting a couple hours of sleep before TTown Throwdown

seaofdarkness

Smash Rookie
Seth Killian wrote an old article that touched in on this a bit, you might wanna check it out
Thanks for directing me to that. It ended up reinforcing a lot of what I was thinking about when I asked the question.

@ZachAttax64, I think step one is probably to actually go to more tournaments. I have a 50% rate of getting into bracket....across the whole two tournaments I've been to that have had pools.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
@ BIGJOHNSONxPWNS BIGJOHNSONxPWNS Yeah I'll try my best to make sure the pools run smoother and in a more timely manner, but a lot of people were still in PM doubles at the same time and then it overlapped into PM Singles. We couldn't run all the pools at the same time, so there were three or four waves. I'll keep on thinking of ways to improve and I'll enforce the time penalty more but I can't do it if people are in more than one tournament at a time.
I've been pondering this myself, and one thing I thought of of was to stagger both PM and Melee pools and brackets.
I.E.:
1) Wave 1 of Melee Pools
2) Wave 1 of PM Pools
3) Wave 2 of Melee Pools
4) Wave 2 of PM Pools
etc...
Then say for bracket...
1) Melee 8ths
2) PM 8ths
3) Melee Quarters
4) PM Quarters
again, etc.

This could of course be used for both Doubles and Singles.

I have very little tournament running experience, but this seems like a pragmatic solution to large gaps of time between pools and brackets due to players competing in both games. It would require a tighter adherence to scheduled timing, and I would suggest enlisting some help. Possibly from @WaterlessFishie or @Thoraxe. But during the PM portions of the tournament, the Melee setups were being used for friendlies and MMs anyways. And this would ensure that as long as people are where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be there, no one has to wait any longer than they have to and lose their momentum/energy/confidence. While I understand that being able to retain these things through long pauses is the hallmark of a good player and seasoned veteran of tournaments, that doesn't mean we should try to optimize how we allocate and use the time we have.

This is just a suggestion, and it's only on paper. So I invite feedback and criticism.

Top Bottom