• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King of Fighters XIII - Mr. Karate available now!

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
So like, why didn't this have its own thread yet?

Developer: SNK Playmore
Publisher(s): (JP) SNK Playmore, (US) Atlus, (EU) Rising Star Games
Consoles: Arcade, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iOS
Genre: 2D Fighter
Release Date: November 22, 2011
MSRP: $49.99 AND YOU GET A FREE SOUNDTRACK

Plot:
The game takes place after The King of Fighters XI and is the last game of the third story arc that started in The King of Fighters 2003.[5] The fighter Ash Crimson has absorbed the powers from two of the descendants of the clans who sealed the Orochi away 1,800 years ago, Chizuru Kagura and Iori Yagami, while Kyo Kusanagi is to be his last victim. As his former comrade, Elisabeth Blanctorche, prepares to stop him, fighters receive an invitation to another King of Fighters tournament hosted by a person labelled as "R".[10] The tournament is sponsored by Rose who is being controlled by "Those From The Past", the organization behind the two previous tournaments that has been trying to break Orochi's seal.

When the winning team reaches the game's end, Saiki, the leader of "Those From The Past" puts his work into motion. Saiki intends to use the energy expended by the winning team to enable him to cross time. However, as the fight rages, Botan notes that the gate that links them to the past is starting to close despite the battle. Before Saiki can act, he is ambushed by Ash Crimson, who steals his power. It is revealed then that, while Ash was enlisted by Saiki to obtain the Three Sacred Treasures to power the time gate, Ash had no intention of helping Saiki. Ash is suddenly overtaken by Saiki's persona, who then attempts to cross the time gate in Ash's body. The winning team pursues him into the time gate and the final battle of King of Fighters XIII begins inside the time gate. Saiki is defeated in the gate but persists on crossing over to the past, believing it means nothing since he can return to the past and then cross the gate again to attempt his plan anew. However, Ash halts his attempt and allows the gate to close, leaving Saiki trapped in the present. Furthermore, Ash reveals that he is a descendant of Saiki. By locking Saiki out of the gate, he denies Saiki's existence in the past and forces his own existence to cease. As Ash vanishes from the living world, the flow of time resumes.

PSN/XBL Gamertags:

PSN

PSN/SWF

Kaizoku X/Shin Kaizoku
RutgerFE6/Rutger
Atlus8/Atlus8

XBL

XBL/SWF

KumaOso/KumaOso
Rhapsody R/Minato

And before you say anything about the netcode, Atlus has said they are already working on patching it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
XBL: KumaOso

I'm starting a relationship with this game come Christmas. A friend of mind recommend Mai/Kensou/Athena or Mai/Yuri/Athena for me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Give it time. If there was ever a time to expand the scene outside of Latin America and Asia, this is the best possible time. Louisiana players are warming up to it very nicely. They love that it's an honest to God fighter.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
SoCal's been playing the game since it was released on arcade, and we're pretty close to Mexico, so it was a given. NorCal is warming up to it nicely as well.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
OMG!! I love King of Fighters XIII, been playing non-stop, and the soundtrack is amazing, not to mention all the cool color edits and of course gameplay. ♥

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was getting ready to say that. Now, I had to learn some "shortcuts" to do the trials I did Friday night. And by that, I mean quicker ways to do the inputs (meaning no 33 DP inputs) since canceling is super strict in this game. One Yuri trial called for 623C > 641236C and normally I've just been able to reset the stick and it'd work fine, but I have to do everything in a single motion if I want it to land.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't know if there any shortcuts for inputs!

For anyone looking for "WTF?!" combos then you should check out what the developers have been bringing out!
There are, but some aren't exactly shorter motions of the original. They're just different motions that work.
Ash has one too where you can DC his two moves by doing DB UF and then hold kick.
Then...how do you do those Clark combos where you have to do his charging punch twice in a row when there's not even 2 seconds between the attacks in the combo to do the charge bit again?
You just charge back right when you input his special. I mean, look how long that special lasts for.
Plenty of time to charge back during the animation.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah...I've tried that. Doesn't exactly work well, EVER. :(
It's EXTREMELY lenient. You have plenty of time. Just charge back, press forward+LP. Right when the animation of the special begins to start, charge back, and press forward+LP when they're falling and in range for your next special.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Pretty sure you have to charge partition. Try doing [4]6[4]X and you should have a charge ready by the time you have to do the second punch.
Well, to be nitpicky that's really charge buffering. Charge partitioning is different.
And you can't charge buffer that way in KoF. I've tried with Ash and Clark and inputting 4 a second time won't let your special come out.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I still enjoy 2001, 2002, and 2003. Kula is one of my mains on there.
Lool, Kula's still friggin gdlk. You will not see a team in top 8 in NorCal without her.

Well, to be nitpicky that's really charge buffering. Charge partitioning is different.
And you can't charge buffer that way in KoF. I've tried with Ash and Clark and inputting 4 a second time won't let your special come out.
Yeah, my bad, I don't know much about charge characters, lol. And man, they sure are trying to make this game as honest and real as possible with their motions...One thing I don't like about that though is if I try to do something like 5C into 623C or 236C I get a grab. /: It's something that can be fixed in a few minutes in training, but it's still a minor annoyance.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, my bad, I don't know much about charge characters, lol. And man, they sure are trying to make this game as honest and real as possible with their motions...One thing I don't like about that though is if I try to do something like 5C into 623C or 236C I get a grab. /: It's something that can be fixed in a few minutes in training, but it's still a minor annoyance.
No worries, I just do it to clarify and make things easier for people. And yes, I totally hate that grab thing in this game. Pressing C/D and then pressing forward still makes you grab. That definitely costed me when trying to punish a DP or something.

Anyway, my current team is Terry/Kyo/Kula. Been trying to learn Ash, K', and Takuma next.
I like my characters generic/overrated lol. :ohwell:

I've been using these characters whenever possible in KoF so whatever. Plus, their HD combos are pretty easy, imo.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I've been Rocking Duo Lon/Yuri/Shen. I tried to make a team based around Yuri but ended up liking Shen as a character way better.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I need to put more practice into this game, I haven't played it in a while.

Still playing Kula/Benimaru/Leona.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Man, the netplay can be really disappointing in this game. :(

Needs more custom colors too, no orange or brown is :054:

Still pretty fun though.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I unlocked all the colors for my characters.

I will never be able to make a May Kula. :mad088:

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully they fix netplay soon. Within the next month or 2 is what I'm hoping for. And the customization is pretty diverse, but is lacking to some degree.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
Interesting read, but a lot of that is arguable. He pretty much never said who he thought was top, lol.

Top Bottom