• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Paint_B

Smash Cadet
Did anyone notice the background hinting towards K. Rool?

Like it flew passed my head and it's so noticeable now in hindsight!

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
Drawing up members of the Dark side. How does this scale of K. Rool look relative to Bowser and Ridley? Need to be bigger, or just right?
View attachment 157544
Would definitely say he is bigger than Bowser, but not that much.
Did anyone notice the background hinting towards K. Rool?

Like it flew passed my head and it's so noticeable now in hindsight!

Seriously. Didn't even look at the background while watching. Sakurai using distinct backgrounds like this have me thinking that he's actually dropping some clever hints.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would definitely say he is bigger than Bowser, but not that much.

Seriously. Didn't even look at the background while watching. Sakurai using distinct backgrounds like this have me thinking that he's actually dropping some clever hints.
I figure the chair colors are in relation to Wario, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
i was on a camping trip for 11 days i just got back from, and i come back to watch the direct and having my effing mind blown that my top two picks got announced on the same day!!!!!!!

AND IT'S K ROOOL IM LIKE SO HAPPY AND CANT EVEN DESCRIBE IT!!!!!!!

time to celebrate with the two important songs!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, I have this little segment I written about a scenario between Sonic and King K. Rool, who are in a battle. I'd like to show you this if you don't mind.

On the Hyrule Temple stage, Sonic and King K. Rool are about to have a battle. Sonic looks at King K. Rool with a smirk on his face.
"You think you have what it takes to hit this supersonic hedgehog?" Sonic asks. K. Rool then says,
"You won't even last for a second, little runt!" Then, the announcer says, "Go!" and K. Rool charges at Sonic, but Sonic dashes at high speed and starts ramming K. Rool at high speed from different directions. K. Rool tries to hit Sonic, but Sonic is moving out of the way quickly with each hit the king tries to make. Sonic continues to use repeated homing attacks and spin attacks on K. Rool, and then, by luck, K. Rool manages to grab Sonic.
"Now, I've got ya!" The crocodile king says, and he opens his mouth and pulls Sonic towards it, as if he were about to eat him. Then, as K. Rool pulls Sonic in close, Sonic extends his spikes like with his up throw move, hitting K. Rool in the mouth.
"OWWWWWWW!" K. Rool shouts as he flinches in pain, letting Sonic go in the process. As Sonic lands on his feet, he says,
"Nice try..." He then smirks.
"But don't think you'll ever do that ever again!" Sonic then runs behind K. Rool. K. Rool turns around.
"Why you-" He growls, but Sonic throws a Reset Bomb at K. Rool, which goes off and makes an X shaped explosion. As K. Rool recovers, Sonic jumps on his head.
"OW!" The king shouts, and he turns around, only for Sonic to jump on his head again. After landing, Sonic says,
"Catch me if you can!" Sonic then runs off the edge of the screen. K. Rool follows, but Sonic somehow quickly comes back up in the opposite direction, stops behind K. Rool, winds up his fist and punches K. Rool off the edge. As K. Rool is in the process of getting back on the stage, Sonic runs off. K. Rool chases, but Sonic is already gone.
"Come out you! Where did you go?" As K. Rool runs around the stage frustrated looking for Sonic, he has trouble finding him. As this is happening, Sonic is hiding on a lower platform eating a chili dog, acting like nothing is going on.
"You can't hide forever! Show yourself!" K. Rool tells Sonic as he is searching, After searching the stage quickly, but with no luck of finding Sonic, King K. Rool looks left, then right, then left again, then right, then left, and in a burst of frustration, he throws up his arms and yells,
"COME OUT, I'LL HAVE YOU FOR BREAKFAST!" Then, Tyrannosaurus Allen, from the Volvic water commercials, which you may have seen if you have watched Youtube Poops, comes literally out of nowhere.
"Hey, that's my line!"
"Oh, shut it." K. Rool says as he uses a Bomb-omb inflator to enlarge a Bomb-omb he was holding. Once large enough, King K. Rool throws the Bomb-Omb at Tyrannosaurus Allen, KOing him off the stage.
"Only when I say so can other reptiles talk." King K. Rool stands there for a moment. Then, Yoshi the dinosaur lands behind K. Rool. He makes a confused sound. K. Rool hears and turns around to see Yoshi. Then, he throws another inflated, large Bomb-omb at Yoshi, which KOs him off the stage.
"That goes for you too, dino boy!" He informs Yoshi, even though he is off the stage and can't hear K. Rool.

What do you guys think?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I said it in the Ridley thread, and I'll say it here;
I love the fact that the character is in, but it somehow feels wrong that King K. Rool will never set foot in Newcomer Speculation again. This and the Ridley thread were the two main pillars in Newcomer speculation, and seeing them gone makes that section of Smashboards feel all the emptier.
In the meantime I guess I can hang around the Isaac/Skull Kid/Banjo Kazooie threads, but it just doesn't feel the same.
I'm not going to re-deconfirm K. Rool to fill that hole, I'm not that deep in nostalgia, just that resting on these laurels brings some bittersweet feelings. There's no more need to fight, but I kind of miss the fighting for a character we believed in.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I love the fact that the character is in, but it somehow feels wrong that King K. Rool will never set foot in Newcomer Speculation again. This and the Ridley thread were the two main pillars in Newcomer speculation, and seeing them gone makes that section of Smashboards feel all the emptier.
In the meantime I guess I can hang around the Isaac/Skull Kid/Banjo Kazooie threads, but it just doesn't feel the same.
I'm not going to re-deconfirm K. Rool to fill that hole, I'm not that deep in nostalgia, just that resting on these laurels brings some bittersweet feelings. There's no more need to fight, but I kind of miss the fighting for a character we believed in.
We all will, Dalek_Kolt. It's been a fun ride, hasn't it. Times we will remember, and something we will miss.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I believe that there will come a day when new characters get enough support to fill that void. "The king is dead, long live the king!", as the old saying goes.

The battle is won, but for others, the war never ends. Lord knows I still have plenty of characters I'd love to see in Smash.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's really the end of an era. I understand the bittersweet feeling. There was definitely a camaraderie in getting everyone together for the same cause, and now that there are no more newcomers I'm emotionally invested in (although Banjo is getting there...) it's less engaging to browse Smash speculation now.

Not sure how future Smash games can hold as much interest in speculation now that the last two titans have reached the heavens.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
There's a few more characters i think are titan enough to warrant the huge amounts of speculation like Geno and... geno i guess LOL

speaking of Geno, I decided to replace Spring Man with him on my wishlist, and omg it feels so good to put checkmarks on K. Rool and Simon =w=

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
it's just time to go in Dixie thread and support her :)

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Drawing up members of the Dark side. How does this scale of K. Rool look relative to Bowser and Ridley? Need to be bigger, or just right?
View attachment 157544
Seeing that image made me remember my envisioning of K. Rool and him being bigger than Bowser, which he is as JaidynReiman JaidynReiman stated but almost to the point of being as tall as Ridley is in this same shot. I actually realize that Bowser isn't as big as he normally is in the Mario games, and it didn't help that Melee/Brawl had him hunched where he was at Peach's chest/torso. It's poetic seeing the big Nintendo bad guy being dwarfed by Ridley and K. Rool after so many years. Shows there's always bigger fish in the ocean. I do think K. Rool's arms could have been beefier but that's a small nitpick.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Finished tweaking K. Rool's size. Also after Ridley and the Kremling King, there's really only one heavy character left that I feel deserves to be in Smash.
View attachment 157697
Oof, I totally forgot about Ganon. I've been sleeping on him. Yeah, if Ganondorf isn't going to get an moveset befitting a wicked warlock of magic and melee prowess, I probably should be backing this guy, huh? A trident wielder would be neat, as would half of his moveset probably coming from ALttP.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was reading on /v/ that Miyamoto suggested to Retro not to include K Rool and it was also suggested by NoA who thought Americans hate the Kremlings.

What

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I think the background analysis people are doing is a bit overblown. I'm pretty sure those videos are recorded in front of a green screen to begin with, and then a random room is put in the background. Sakurai's a genius, but he's not going that nuts. This isn't like Kojima who will tweet something random and then way later it's relevant to the latest trailer.

Sakurai's tweet about his "red, tired eyes" was totally about K. Rool, though. Which is funny, because a lot of people were making huge threads being all worried for Sakurai when it was just cheeky hint, because there was nothing wrong with his eyes.

I was reading on /v/ that Miyamoto suggested to Retro not to include K Rool and it was also suggested by NoA who thought Americans hate the Kremlings.

What
Miyamoto was also the guy who told Intelligent Systems not to include any new characters or real story in Paper Mario starting with Sticker Star. He also got upset whenever Yoshiaki Koizumi would sneak in extra story in games like Super Mario Galaxy. Miyamoto's a genius in many ways, but the man does have his flaws.

Wonder where NoA got the idea that Americans don't like the Kremlings, though. I bet that perception's been changed now, though.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Don't believe everything or anything on 4chan.

Only the Miyamoto part has any backing as far as I know. There's that interview with Kelbaugh and Tanabe after DKCR was revealed. NOA's comments on Kremlings I've never heard anything about. No reason to believe it right now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

What
I don't believe the NoA part at all. The Miyamoto part? Yeah, I completely buy that one. Miyamoto has been ruining a lot of things with his narrow minded perception. Namely, Paper Mario. He and Tanabe also did talk about Kremlings and said "yeah don't include crocodiles in there this time". He almost ruined Splatoon as well, but they pushed passed Miyamoto and released the game anyway and its become Nintendo's most successful new IP in years.

I heard a rumor that Retro fully wanted to include Kremlings in both games, but Miyamoto stopped them. And then Retro wanted to include K. Rool in TF Switch, but they were told not to because Sakurai wanted to be the one to announce K. Rool first (this one I'm fine with).

I don't really know if this is true or not. Just something I heard that came from DK Vine.

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
Obligatory reminder that someone had to mo cap K. Rool's sweet moves.
Finished tweaking K. Rool's size. Also after Ridley and the Kremling King, there's really only one heavy character left that I feel deserves to be in Smash.
View attachment 157697
There we go. Looks great! Strange to think if Sakurai had decided to go with Pig Ganon rather than our chiseled man-candy we have today. A ranged magic heavyweight? Sounds super intruiging!

D

Deleted member

The "Koncept" art indicates a DKCR-like setting, but that does not rule out KKR at all. Hope to see him and the Kremlings at Universal in a few years!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Remember, there's still a "plot" to the mine cart ride we don't know about yet. It's not a sure thing K. Rool or the Kremlings will show up there, but if they do, that ride may well be where it happens.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Considering K. Rool is coming back now, he's probably going to be in that DK park.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Since the stuff at Universal is still in production, even if K. Rool wasnt a part of it.. I feel like the huge reaction to his entry in Smash could change that... Nintendo can see the massive fan reaction to him. I think this will benefit K. Rool greatly in many future DK projects.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Since the stuff at Universal is still in production, even if K. Rool wasnt a part of it.. I feel like the huge reaction to his entry in Smash could change that... Nintendo can see the massive fan reaction to him. I think this will benefit K. Rool greatly in many future DK projects.
Let's be real on this one. They've been planning this park for the past several years. K. Rool got in because of the ballot. He's coming back to the DK series for certain now, maybe even other games. Odds are they planned the park and intended to include K. Rool from the start, but obviously couldn't say anything because he hadn't been announced yet.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Let's be real on this one. They've been planning this park for the past several years. K. Rool got in because of the ballot. He's coming back to the DK series for certain now, maybe even other games. Odds are they planned the park and intended to include K. Rool from the start, but obviously couldn't say anything because he hadn't been announced yet.
I mean I did say "even if he wasnt included" I think he has been planned.. I was just saying, even if he wasnt he certainly would be now.

Edit: my comment when reading it seems like it's sort of angry.. it's not I assure you lol

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I would like a photo booth where you can take pics with a filter that makes one of your eyes enlarged and bloodshot.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Been away from Smashboards, but here's my thoughts from the past week anyway.
Watched the trailer live and teared up a little bit. Maybe that says something about me, being so invested in a literal picture on a screen that it elicits a genuine emotional reaction, but I guess nine or ten years of hoping for anything will do that to you. I actually was a little concerned at first when I saw the tiny crown, but I've warmed up to the design and I think he looks great.
They may have intended to give him his costumes as alternates, but had to give them up when they gave him moves that specifically incorporate the golden gut, so they added the Kaptain's hat to the blunderbuss move as a little compromise. They really didn't have to do that, and it makes me so happy because they clearly put a lot of love and thought into this fat ugly irrelevant character that they don't own and no one cares about outside our echo chamber.
Gonna feel weird thinking about characters I want in Smash and realizing I don't have to hope for K. Rool anymore. I can finally say I main King K. Rool and mean it. What a time to be alive.
Now I just wanna hear the whole of that Gangplank Galleon remix.
And any Shovel Knight music that assist trophy might've managed to sneak in, that'd be great too.

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
It's amazing. The vocals are awesome. It's definitely K. Rool singing once again after 18 years.

After the trailer I still preferred the Brawl version but after this Gangplank galleon definitely trumps Shipdeck 2.

Also I love that DK and Diddy also have a vocal song with the Returns vocal mix from smash 4.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
At first I was a little taken aback, but after listening to it multiple times...

Top Bottom