• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
If Kremlings were owned by Microsoft, they wouldnt be in
-Donkey Konga
-Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 as trohpies
-DK Kungle Climber & King of Swing
-A bunch of Mario sports (strikers, baseball, backgroumd in tennis)
-Barrel Blast
Cranky, Diddy, Dixie, Funky were also made by Rare. I dont know of any tangable evidence that exists that makes people think (besides the hiatus in the main games, but that arguement isnt really a solid one) K Rool is so different.
Not being in the new DKC games is all people need to make that assumption. Those games are all pretty under the radar except Smash, where people who aren't DK fans probably just forgot about the presence of Kremlings (Melee also predates the buyout although Rare/Nintendo tensions were high which is why we didn't get Banjo and probably Diddy).

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I happened to look back at some of the custscenes for the Subspace Emissary and remembered how I first reacted to seeing DK and Diddy in the story. Back then I had a dumb/sad mentality that DK's banana's being stolen was linked straight to K.Rool (despite how it's Bowser's minions stealing it). I was so desperate to believe that he'd be in the game as one of the main villains. Man, I would have killed to see K. Rool work alongside Bowser. Even if it was just for Smash. Here's hoping our King makes a comeback someday.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh man I’ve been looking over old Brawl stuff too. My disc is scratched, so I can’t play anymore :crying: Hope it comes out on VC or I can get a new one. Brawl was great...

I think one of my favorite things with Brawl was the website where they made one reveal a day. I had that as my home page for a while. The music especially - Brawl’s soundtrack is amazing. I’ve been listening to thst lately.

Favorite remix: DK. Jungle Level Ver. 2. Pity the only DK stages in Brawl were bad. Here’s hoping for a Gangplank Galleon!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
It's no surprise people still think K. Rool and the Kremlings are owned by MS.... almost everybody I know that isn't a huge DK fan thinks that.

I really do think Nintendo just didn't know what they were going to do with the Rare made characters. Which is why we saw everyone go away aside from DK for a bit. When Rare was bought out I truly think Nintendo had no clue what to do with Donkey Kong.... when the games they put out like Konga, Jungle Beat and such weren't received all that well they tried other things. Barrel Blast, King of Swing, and Jungle Climber all featured the Kremlings and past Kongs with redesigns from PAON. None of those game's made waves and I think Nintendo got the impression that DK and it's characters were stale. That's the only reason I can imagine of the Kremlings and the other Kongs absences. Now Retro is slowly reintroducing all the old stuff little by little it seems and Nintendo can clearly see the fan opinion of the classic characters. So hopefully DK going forward will only bring in more of the old Rare made stuff we love

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I happened to look back at some of the custscenes for the Subspace Emissary and remembered how I first reacted to seeing DK and Diddy in the story. Back then I had a dumb/sad mentality that DK's banana's being stolen was linked straight to K.Rool (despite how it's Bowser's minions stealing it). I was so desperate to believe that he'd be in the game as one of the main villains. Man, I would have killed to see K. Rool work alongside Bowser. Even if it was just for Smash. Here's hoping our King makes a comeback someday.

It wasn't dumb or sad to think that. TONS of DK fans were speculating that K. Rool and Bowser teamed up to take down DK. We got confirmation that Diddy was in the game and a taste of K. Rool's theme. Fans weren't crazy for thinking he was in.

SonicBoom403

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicBoom403
Switch FC
SW-0655-9229-9594
Hi! K. Rool's had my support since Brawl! I'm not sure of his chances this time around but I hope he makes it!

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe it's 2018 and people still think the K. Rool and the Kremlings are owned by Rare. We even saw them in Smash Run. K. Rool has been a trophy for years now and he even appeared in Mario Super Sluggers. It's really weird to me. Speaking of Mario spin-off's, I wouldn't mind seeing K. Rool appearing in more of them. Him being in Sluggers is the reason I bought it. It'd be nice if he were in Mario Kart or the next Strikers (since that series had Kremlings). Kinda sad how it's only DK in Mario Kart 8. It doesn't even have Diddy Kong.

Last edited:

SonicBoom403

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicBoom403
Switch FC
SW-0655-9229-9594
I've been hoping K. Rool would show up in Mario Kart at some point. If he can't appear in Smash Bros can we at least get him in Mario Kart? I also liked using him in Mario Super Sluggers, he was an incredibly powerful batter.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd take K. Rool appearing in anything at this point. Just something that proves Nintendo plans to make good on using him again.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be great for him to be in a spin off. Obviously rather a main DK game but to have him playable again would be just as good.

I never understood the use of Kritters as goalies in strikers then not using K. Rool. Seems like a bizarre choice. You mean they couldn't think of a mario character that would be good in goal?

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Part of me feels like if Rare had stayed and continued to work on Diddy Kong Pilot (and had kept the Mario characters), we would have seen K. Rool in more Mario Spin-Off's. We probably would have gotten him in Smash a long time ago by now. If only Rare had stated with Nintendo.

StormC

Smash Hero
Part of me feels like if Rare had stayed and continued to work on Diddy Kong Pilot (and had kept the Mario characters), we would have seen K. Rool in more Mario Spin-Off's. We probably would have gotten him in Smash a long time ago by now. If only Rare had stated with Nintendo.

Not only that, but they considered doing DKC4 instead of DKRDS back in 2007. It probably would have been a big success like NSMB and lead to two things:

1. Retro Studios would take notes from it and DKCR would be DKC5, not a soft reboot.
2. It would be a big enough recent release to put K. Rool on the radar for Smash 4 (if K. Rool wasn't already in Retro's game).

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Not only that, but they considered doing DKC4 instead of DKRDS back in 2007. It probably would have been a big success like NSMB and lead to two things:

1. Retro Studios would take notes from it and DKCR would be DKC5, not a soft reboot.
2. It would be a big enough recent release to put K. Rool on the radar for Smash 4 (if K. Rool wasn't already in Retro's game).
I forgot they considered doing DKC4 on the DS! That would've been so great! Now I'm sad it didn't happen. That really could've been a game changer.

already shared on discord, time for my newest k rool fanart....well its more of a revamp of my old one from years ago

fixed the terrible pixelation, added landscape, the k rool supporting sentance but i kept the colors and shapes the same which explains his detached middle tooth.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Oddly enough, K Rool is the only character my entire friend group wants in Smash 5.

I personally think he could be really cool but I don't know how unique from the other heavies he'd be, since I've never seen K Rool in game.

StormC

Smash Hero
I personally think he could be really cool but I don't know how unique from the other heavies he'd be, since I've never seen K Rool in game.

DKC2 alone gives him a cornucopia of moves. That's not getting into everything else from his other boss battles.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Hey guys, did you know apparently they're making a DKCTV show reanimated project? Reanimated projects are fan collaborations where different fans animate a few seconds from an episode of a TV series they like. They each contribute one little part of the same episode and it all adds up to the original episode length. They animate their own part themselves, with different styles that are often funny. So fans are doing this for DKC Tv show. Here's an example of someone who is evidently on the project

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Just thought I'd share this here, its a fun project I'm doing.. I'm drawing DK, Diddy, and K. Rool in my style over the actual Gangplank Galleon background. Just a fun homage to their first battle! This is the in progress photo I'll post the finish if you guys actually want to see it ha ha.

Attachments

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Question, what you preffer, Golden color under-belly or plain skin color?

OR
Why golden belly K. Rool, of course! Then again, I don't mind plain skin colored belly K. Rool, but the golden one is better, in my opinion.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
It's no surprise people still think K. Rool and the Kremlings are owned by MS.... almost everybody I know that isn't a huge DK fan thinks that.

I really do think Nintendo just didn't know what they were going to do with the Rare made characters. Which is why we saw everyone go away aside from DK for a bit. When Rare was bought out I truly think Nintendo had no clue what to do with Donkey Kong.... when the games they put out like Konga, Jungle Beat and such weren't received all that well they tried other things. Barrel Blast, King of Swing, and Jungle Climber all featured the Kremlings and past Kongs with redesigns from PAON. None of those game's made waves and I think Nintendo got the impression that DK and it's characters were stale. That's the only reason I can imagine of the Kremlings and the other Kongs absences. Now Retro is slowly reintroducing all the old stuff little by little it seems and Nintendo can clearly see the fan opinion of the classic characters. So hopefully DK going forward will only bring in more of the old Rare made stuff we love
Yes that's exactly what happened. Nintendo looked at the characters and were like "I guess they aren't fresh enough..." but in reality didn't stop and think it's not the characters but the games they appeared in were mediocre at best. People wanted another DKC game (proven later by Returns which sold 6 million copies) or a 3D DK game not a slow paced bongo jet racer (though Barrel Blast is a guilty pleasure of mine) or a peg swinging puzzle platformer series. If they really do view the Kremlings as the reason why those games didn't sell well they're probably looking at Returns and Tropical Freeze sales numbers and saying "See these games are million sellers because they didn't have stale characters" instead of see "These games are million sellers because they're quality 2D platformers and not gimmicky spin-off bullcrap"

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Golden belly, looks more tough.
The golden belly is iconic. That will always be my favorite. However, I think if Nintendo were to add him in spin-off titles (like another Sluggers or Mario Kart) they should feel free to use the Paon design as it blends well with the other Mario characters. But that golden belly needs to be a mainstay for the main DKC games and Smash Bros if he's added.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Just dropping by here to say that I think K. Rool is way more likely than I thought. I read this topic on gamefaqs (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros/76512506) which points out a flaw in many people's reasoning, including mine as it turns out.

It basically says Smash must have started in 2016, so characters who only existed/became relevant after that like Rex + Pyra, Crash, Spring Man, etc. are not as much of a shoo in as you'd think. In fact, situations like Crash's recent Switch announcement have absolutely no bearing on their chances since, again, smash 5 dev began in 2016.

Given how soon after the completion of smash 4's DLC smash 5 began development, the ballot was probably Sakurai's main source for newcomers. What else is there except a handful (if even) of actual shoo-ins to add? That's right: the ballot. All there is left is popularity, because we really are running out of characters to add. And thus, that's convinced me that this time, it's K. Rool's best chance ever.

StormC

Smash Hero
Just dropping by here to say that I think K. Rool is way more likely than I thought. I read this topic on gamefaqs (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros/76512506) which points out a flaw in many people's reasoning, including mine as it turns out.

It basically says Smash must have started in 2016, so characters who only existed/became relevant after that like Rex + Pyra, Crash, Spring Man, etc. are not as much of a shoo in as you'd think. In fact, situations like Crash's recent Switch announcement have absolutely no bearing on their chances since, again, smash 5 dev began in 2016.

Given how soon after the completion of smash 4's DLC smash 5 began development, the ballot was probably Sakurai's main source for newcomers. What else is there except a handful (if even) of actual shoo-ins to add? That's right: the ballot. All there is left is popularity, because we really are running out of characters to add. And thus, that's convinced me that this time, it's K. Rool's best chance ever.
I think it depends on how many new characters we're getting. If it's only ~10, competition will be tight. A Gen 7 Pokemon is basically guaranteed, then you have characters like Elma, Takamaru, Bandana Dee, and Dixie that could serve as logical inclusions without the ballot. Even a new Fire Emblem character can't be ruled out.

The problem with that is those are all mid-level hype characters that are expected on some level (except maybe Takamaru). Sakurai needs some headliner characters and that's where K. Rool stands the best shot by far to get in via the ballot. But it will be tough for other characters. I'm personally expecting 10-12, including Ice Climbers and Wolf. I think there will be more characters added than DLC but less than Smash 4's base game. If it's more like 15, characters like Isaac will have a better shot.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman

People tend to forget that Sakurai always has a roster finalized right when the development of a new Smash game starts. The only exception was Brawl but that's because of Sonic's late inclusion. I definitely do agree with the fact that this is K. Rool's best shot. He's one of the few characters that's popular worldwide. His immense popularity of Japan will likely be factor as well. It wouldn't surprise me if it was K. Rool who won the ballot in Japan. Especially with Source Gaming's polls (for Japan) having K. Rool dominating in both of them. I know a lot of Japanese DKC fans really want K. Rool back in general, so hopefully this paves the way into something really special.

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool would open the floodgates in a crazy way. Never has a non-retro character appeared in Smash after being missing for a decade (and never any character from an already established franchise). It'd be a historic moment and probably boost the chances greatly of characters like Geno.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
It definitely would be a huge occasion. It'd also be a turning point for the franchise as now Nintendo would have to know how popular him and the Kremlings are. I really hope it'll encourage Retro to expand on Rare's legacy with these characters rather than trying to use some one-off ideas. Sure, it's fine to use some fresh new enemies every once in a while, but it's time K. Rool made his comeback.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
This would explain why we are only getting inklings now and not in the last smash even as dlc?

This is really good news for k. Rool and Dixie and explain why there was no real news DK stuff as well.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
The golden belly is iconic. That will always be my favorite. However, I think if Nintendo were to add him in spin-off titles (like another Sluggers or Mario Kart) they should feel free to use the Paon design as it blends well with the other Mario characters. But that golden belly needs to be a mainstay for the main DKC games and Smash Bros if he's added.
So basically do what they do with King Boo? In the Luigi's Mansion games he has that really cool evil looking character design but then in Mario Kart and Mario Party he's just a big boo with a yellow crown on his head.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Rex and Pyra likely still existed during the middle of development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The game itself entered the planning phases in July 2014, but in terms of when Rex and Pyra were designed, I can't find any specific dates. The game itself apparently struggled during the early phases due to the Nintendo Switch not having finalized specs and there was a staff cut during the middle of development, but otherwise the process was relatively fast. At the bare minimum the concept of "Drivers" and "Blades" was likely conceptualized during 2015 when production of Xenoblade Chronicles X was starting to be finalized and full fledged development began. But I cannot confirm for certain.

A key thing to remember with Masahiro Sakurai is that at the bare minimum he is familiar with the Monolith Soft staff, just by the facts that Monolith Soft helped development with Brawl, they very likely negotiated all of the Xenoblade Chronicles (and Baten Kaitos) material in 3DS/Wii U, and Sakurai himself appears to be a fan of Xenoblade Chronicles if his Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comments are anything to go by. Monolith Soft is also a pretty significant company with Nintendo in general, specifically they tend to help with the development of several other projects over the years via their Kyoto branch, examples including Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Splatoon, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I tried to look into ARMS development to possibly figure out when it began, but I can't find a specified date. I speculate that development either began in 2015 or 2016, but either way the game likely began development sometime after Mario Kart 8 was finished and key staff like Kosuke Yabuki moved on to other projects. Though if the statement about the Splatoon and ARMS teams working parallel to each other is to be believed, the game may of been planned earlier than we think. As for Springman, I don't know when he was conceptualized, but I do know that with the ARMS characters in general the quirky arms are conceptualized first and then the designers went backwards to make the characters themselves.

I bring this all up because the developers of Super Smash Bros. do negotiate about possible fighters from projects in development. We know there have been at least three cases of this happening: Lucas being planned for Melee but scrapped due to Mother 3 suffering from development hell, Roy being included in Melee as a late clone after getting a preview of then-unreleased Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade, and Greninja being included due to wanting a new Pokemon despite Pokemon X & Y still being in development.

Top Bottom