• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
GreenKirby GreenKirby

That will definitely be a tough challenge if there are no Spirits that can negate the invisibility. And even then, you'll likely need to have a good Primary Spirit if you don't want to take any heavy damage.

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
Kaptain K.Rool's spirit battle conditions

So good!
It's funny, cause the alt that's used for the Kaptain Spirit Battle is the exact one I looked at all those weeks ago and thought "I'm using this; the color scheme reminds me of his Kaptain outfit."

Also Crocodile Cacophony has to be a shoe-in for at least a rip, if not a remix.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Reflecting is cool, however the fact that it can only counter hits from the front puts a damper on it's ability to escape disadvantage.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, it just dawned on me that Spirit battles against Legend class Spirits could mean that the CPU fighters will be set to a very hard difficulty level. You want the Spirit, you'll have to get past the CPU's cheap tactics first.

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
Reflecting is cool, however the fact that it can only counter hits from the front puts a damper on it's ability to escape disadvantage.
I kinda always anticipated that. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. Either way, the fact alone that K. Rool has not only his superarmor, but ANOTHER option to power through moves that is independent of the armor is pretty big in itself. I imagine that if you become good at utilizing your armor to anticipate and power through attacks, you'll be able to use the kounter just as easily, making it a good mixup tool. Not to mention using it camp out armor regen, if you're really hurting for the armor.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Late, but the guidance for K. Rool is pretty poor, like most of them. The Snake ones actually talked about the characters and their games instead of just taking one tepid 'joke' and running with it. Better than nothing I suppose, but man oh man I would have preferred the codecs to return.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
That's nair's job, though. Counters have never been the best method to escape pressure for most characters because having one baited out can mean death. Nair is still a great option because it'll recover much faster (unless it'll be crack #3, of course).

And I'm at the point where I'm just plain astonished at the number of tools KRool has. I figured he'd at least be forced to approach against characters that can outzone him but it looks like he'll have a tool for throwing those back as well...

I'm just gonna say it: his kit is overloaded, and I'm worried he'll bring down the wrath of the nerf bat mere seconds after launch...

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
seeing that balancing will bedecided by the results of elite matches, I would not worry about K Rool's kit too much. He's still a super heavy and I feel competent players will know their way around him, at least to a point where his results aren't completely stacked towards the W's

Thundross

Smash Rookie
Here's Nairo talking about K. Rool. Aside from his counter reflecting projectiles, Nairo also found out that he can shoot straight up with the Blunderbuss after sucking his cannonball back up (and presumably after sucking up other things too)

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Unsure if known already but.....

1) Only one Cannonball can be out at once. If there is already a ball out, the animation goes through, but nothing comes out of the blunderbuss

2)If KKR dies, his Krown immediately reappears on his head, item or otherwise.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
seeing that balancing will bedecided by the results of elite matches, I would not worry about K Rool's kit too much. He's still a super heavy and I feel competent players will know their way around him, at least to a point where his results aren't completely stacked towards the W's
I'm hoping you're right.

My biggest fear is this:
-Game launches
-KKR is slightly overpowered
-Gets nerfed to the ground
-Is garbage tier the rest of the game's life like D3 was in SSB4 after having his throw followup removed

I know I'm being extra paranoid, but I'd be less paranoid had we not seen exactly how Nintendo can and will screw this up from past examples alone.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some fighters have had it much worse than Dedede though. Imagine how people would feel if Zelda ends up getting nerfs herself, and she has been among the worst fighters for three straight Smash Bros. installments.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Some fighters have had it much worse than Dedede though. Imagine how people would feel if Zelda ends up getting nerfs herself, and she has been among the worst fighters for three straight Smash Bros. installments.
I don't even play Zelda and I would still feel bad for Zelda players.

No character should be **** tier in this game. In a perfect world, the tier list would begin at B and the worst matchup would be 40-60.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't even play Zelda and I would still feel bad for Zelda players.

No character should be **** tier in this game. In a perfect world, the tier list would begin at B and the worst matchup would be 40-60.
At least the match-ups in Smash 3DS / Wii U were nothing like what Brawl dealt with. In Brawl, you'd have to be out of your mind to be using Ganondorf for competitive play, because he was as a disadvantage against everybody in that game.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
At least the match-ups in Smash 3DS / Wii U were nothing like what Brawl dealt with. In Brawl, you'd have to be out of your mind to be using Ganondorf for competitive play, because he was as a disadvantage against everybody in that game.
True, though Bayo wound up negating a large chunk of the roster all by herself.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
True, though Bayo wound up negating a large chunk of the roster all by herself.
The main problem with Bayonetta is that her fighting style makes it very hard to balance her properly. Even Smash Ultimate isn't safe from Bayonetta's fighting abilities if she can easily clobber Ridley like he was nothing to her.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The main problem with Bayonetta is that her fighting style makes it very hard to balance her properly. Even Smash Ultimate isn't safe from Bayonetta's fighting abilities if she can easily clobber Ridley like he was nothing to her.
She may still have an explosive advantage state, but looking at all those nerfs, most of her best stuff loses to shield now. So being cautious, yet not giving her too much respect for the stuff she used to get away with in 4 is the key for everyone.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I like that if the Krown clashes with a move, it keeps going and has a hitbox on the way back still

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't know what happened with the SSB4 DLC. I almost want to say making 2 characters you need to pay for head and shoulders above literally everyone else was a way to try to squeeze a tiny bit more money out of the already dead Wii U.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know what happened with the SSB4 DLC. I almost want to say making 2 characters you need to pay for head and shoulders above literally everyone else was a way to try to squeeze a tiny bit more money out of the already dead Wii U.
And then you have people who think that Smash Wii U is dead as well. But it is worth noting that that game fixes up a lot of the problems that Brawl suffered from; Smash Wii U handled the roster balancing better than Brawl, the Autolink Angle is much better, grab immunity periods were added, and stale-move negation is far less penalizing with its knockback reduction penalties.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
She may still have an explosive advantage state, but looking at all those nerfs, most of her best stuff loses to shield now. So being cautious, yet not giving her too much respect for the stuff she used to get away with in 4 is the key for everyone.
Yeah, and Bayo telegraphs horizontal witch twist like CRAZY when recovering, meaning KKR should be able to intercept and counter it reliably.

And then you have people who think that Smash Wii U is dead as well. But it is worth noting that that game fixes up a lot of the problems that Brawl suffered from; Smash Wii U handled the roster balancing better than Brawl, the Autolink Angle is much better, grab immunity periods were added, and stale-move negation is far less penalizing with its knockback reduction penalties.
All of this can be true but the sad truth is that all it takes is one oppressive, unfun to watch character to sink the entire game's pro scene.

I don't feel Ultimate even needed to kill SSB4: it died on stage last Evo.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping you're right.

My biggest fear is this:
-Game launches
-KKR is slightly overpowered
-Gets nerfed to the ground
-Is garbage tier the rest of the game's life like D3 was in SSB4 after having his throw followup removed

I know I'm being extra paranoid, but I'd be less paranoid had we not seen exactly how Nintendo can and will screw this up from past examples alone.
You're not the only one... and I have two co-mains to worry about in regards to that issue... (:ultwolf:, in addition to :ultkrool:)

C-G

Smash Journeyman
As I recall, the one version of the game where there WERE patches did not have anyone got uber nerfed. Game to game buffs/nerfs aside mind you.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All of this can be true but the sad truth is that all it takes is one oppressive, unfun to watch character to sink the entire game's pro scene.

I don't feel Ultimate even needed to kill SSB4: it died on stage last Evo.
It would still seem weird for Smash Wii U to die because of Bayonetta. I don't know how active Brawl's competitive scene is, but if it can still live on, regardless of how cheap Brawl Meta Knight is, then there might be hope for Smash Wii U to keep on going.

And another thing to keep in mind is that Smash Ultimate's mechanics could be distasteful to some people, as the new shield mechanics can make it harder to pull off a perfect shield.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It would still seem weird for Smash Wii U to die because of Bayonetta. I don't know how active Brawl's competitive scene is, but if it can still live on, regardless of how cheap Brawl Meta Knight is, then there might be hope for Smash Wii U to keep on going.

And another thing to keep in mind is that Smash Ultimate's mechanics could be distasteful to some people, as the new shield mechanics can make it harder to pull off a perfect shield.
I mean, I'm sure Brawl events still happen in some places, but the real question is whether or not SSB4 will still have a spot at next year's Evo and I doubt it will at this point.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I mean, I'm sure Brawl events still happen in some places, but the real question is whether or not SSB4 will still have a spot at next year's Evo and I doubt it will at this point.
I guess only time will tell. Accessibility would clearly be the biggest problem in this case.

Anyway, if Bayonetta is highly cancerous to Smash 3DS / Wii U, then we'll have to be prepared for the worst case scenario for Smash Ultimate; Bayonetta dominates everyone, especially our Kremling tyrant.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I guess only time will tell. Accessibility would clearly be the biggest problem in this case.

Anyway, if Bayonetta is highly cancerous to Smash 3DS / Wii U, then we'll have to be prepared for the worst case scenario for Smash Ultimate; Bayonetta dominates everyone, especially our Kremling tyrant.
I feel like the scarier threats are Young Link and Pikachu.

I've not seen enough to suggest that the old threats are still real threats, but Sheik has yet to be terrible in any game she's been in so we'll see.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039

Passing by to leave a meme of what the King has done to a particular Kong~

:bowser:.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, and Bayo telegraphs horizontal witch twist like CRAZY when recovering, meaning KKR should be able to intercept and counter it reliably.
If it has trouble snapping the ledge like the site says, wouldn't caving her skull in with bair be even better?

Almost nothing she does is as safe as it used to be. She can't cancel Bullet Climax until it's fully charged, making it more predictable. She doesn't get more Afterburner Kicks on shield, reducing her recovery mixups and shield pressure. Shielding Heel Slide will give you a big punish no matter what. Witch Twist is slower, and most damning of all is that she's probably the only character to mainly have her landing lag increased instead of decreased. Only her bair got less there, but it's laggier in the air as a trade-off. Even if these are based on E3 observations (since no one seems to be using her in this build at the moment), it's safe to assume her showing there did not prove they were unjustified.

StormC

Smash Hero

K. Rool's sleeping animation can be seen in this video after the 2 minute mark. Pretty cute.

(Check 2:10 for a hilarious SD by Lucina.)

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
If it has trouble snapping the ledge like the site says, wouldn't caving her skull in with bair be even better?

Almost nothing she does is as safe as it used to be. She can't cancel Bullet Climax until it's fully charged, making it more predictable. She doesn't get more Afterburner Kicks on shield, reducing her recovery mixups and shield pressure. Shielding Heel Slide will give you a big punish no matter what. Witch Twist is slower, and most damning of all is that she's probably the only character to mainly have her landing lag increased instead of decreased. Only her bair got less there, but it's laggier in the air as a trade-off. Even if these are based on E3 observations (since no one seems to be using her in this build at the moment), it's safe to assume her showing there did not prove they were unjustified.
I'm assuming I'll have plenty of chances to test it (just not soon enough, urggghhhh...).

And yeah, Bayo had a decent neutral and an amazing everything else. That's what they fixed, thank god.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
For the fun of speculation, why not try to imagine how Spirit Battles with other K. Rool Personas could go? The one for the Kaptain (who even is a Legend Tier one, YES!) mimics his boss battle extremely faithfully, so how about for the other ones:

Baron K. Roolenstein:

White K. Rool Skin,
Stage: Draculas Castle Battle field
Conditions: Up Special has a longer duration, electrified Floor

alternatively, A Giant green R.O.B. only using Dair for the KAOS reference.

King Krusha K. Rool

Regular Skin or Blue
Stage: Boxing Ring
Conditions: Stamina Battle; The enemy is giant and uses F-smash a lot, turns Invisible during the end of the battle

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Since the original DKC is 24 years old today, this goes the same for our beloved Kommander :ultkrool:! Happy birthday to one of my favorite villains in gaming! It still feels surreal that he's in, I'll only believe it when I actually get to play as him for the first time! And here's to another congrats to all my fellow Kampaigners who brought him back from the dead!

Kulty

Smash Ace
Since the original DKC is 24 years old today, this goes the same for our beloved Kommander :ultkrool:! Happy birthday to one of my favorite villains in gaming! It still feels surreal that he's in, I'll only believe it when I actually get to play as him for the first time! And here's to another congrats to all my fellow Kampaigners who brought him back from the dead!
Since it`s the 24th Anniversary of :ultkrool:, I want to ask you guys a question. I`m sure it has already been discussed in this board before, but what were your first memories with the Kremling King? :)

I`ll start. Mine was different. I first know the character through DK64. However, I didn`t play the game enough to fully get to the end. However, my first true exposure to King K Rool`s character and personality wasn't until his last physical appearance (before his Smash Ultimate revival), being in Mario Supper Sluggers. At first, when I played the adventure mode, I didn't think a lot about him. I thought he was just a generic villain just to cut it short. However, it all changed when I first played Donkey Kong Country Returns (which was my very first exposure to the DKC series). Even though King K Rool was never in the game, I always hear to DKC fans about how much they want King K Rool to return. Since I finished Returns, it was really a game that I felt was truly special. I didn`t expect to enjoy a platformer like DKC along the likes of :ultmario:, Rayman and :ultsonic:(the good ones obviously). So I was hungry for more DKC since then. I then went to my GBA emulator and discovered I could finally play the original SNES DKC1 on the GBA. I fully played it, and I arrived at Gankplank Galleon. The music was great, the boss is great and just when I thought I beat him, he caught me off guard and killed me before the start of phase 2 (glad they referenced it in his Ultimate reveal trailer). After I managed to beat him, I really had a big smile on my face. Something about King K Rool really felt special to me, and I began to truly love him as a vilain. He`s smart, he still tries really hard to come with new plans despite them failing and he's goofy. Since then, I became a huge DKC fan due to its amazing controls, amazing and creative level design, challenging difficulty, a lot of charm behind the game and of course, the AMAZING MUSIC by David Wise. I haven't even played DKC2 and DKC3 at this point in time (wish I could tbh :( ), but I`ll play DKC Tropical Freeze soon. :ultkrool:is not just a iconic vilain in the DK series, but he`s also one of my favorite video game villains of all time, up there with Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising and Dr Eggman from the Sonic The Hedgehog series. Obviously, I wanted:ultkrool:in the next Smash game (I came really late, but better than never), so when he was shown in the August Direct, I literally scream out of joy.

Anyway, that`s my story of how I met K Rool. King K Rool, to me, is the perfect character that represents the DKC sub-series (despite not appearing in Returns and Tropical Freeze) and this series has been one of my favorite video game series of all time. SUPER HYPE FOR OUR RETURN OF OUR KING and can't wait to hear the new DKC remixes (DKC medley, Ganplank Galleon and Snaky Shantey).

Last edited:

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
I first met King K. Rool on the GBC port of DKC. Not DKL, mind you. I mean the GBC port of DKC. That was the first DKC game I ever played, as I didn't own a SNES at the time.

Top Bottom