• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Right, but there's a huge difference between being tougher matchups and losing matchups.

So long as there's no character in this game which every heavy goes 30-70 against, I'll be happy.

Even better would be if every speedster has at least one heavy that goes even with them, then a heavy mainer has a solid arsenal to choose from.
Luckily for you Krool's would be worst matchups got murdered in the transition to ultimate, I don't really think K rool is gonna have a single -2 aside from maybe Villager and Olimar. Young Link is suspect but he's light and can't kill too often, plus SA is god.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that:ultkrool:will have decent matchups across the board. He seems to do well against some characters that do not have the best approach options, but he might struggle against rushdown and small characters along with characters that can wall others out pretty effectively through projectiles. It might be difficult, but our King will have a good comeback factor by the fact that he'll win trades in almost any situation and he kills pretty early. I think you just need to win neutral a few times compared to other characters.

Also, does the Blunderbuss only have a single throw angle when the cannonball or a fighter gets sucked in? From my knowledge, you can only throw it straight diagonally up to the way K Rool is facing, or you throw it in the opposite direction. :)

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I'm pretty sure that:ultkrool:will have decent matchups across the board. He seems to do well against some characters that do not have the best approach options, but he might struggle against rushdown and small characters along with characters that can wall others out pretty effectively through projectiles. It might be difficult, but our King will have a good comeback factor by the fact that he'll win trades in almost any situation and he kills pretty early. I think you just need to win neutral a few times compared to other characters.

Also, does the Blunderbuss only have a single throw angle when the cannonball or a fighter gets sucked in? From my knowledge, you can only throw it straight diagonally up to the way K Rool is facing, or you throw it in the opposite direction. :)
Pretty sure it's only forward at an angle and backward at an angle, no straight ahead sadly. Might make him slightly worse at beating out projectile characters.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Speaking of projectile characters, I've been preaching at how bad Villager is gonna be for k rool (-2 or worse) but do people share the same opinion? Do people think Villager will be as bad for K rool as I do or do people think he isn't as bad for K rool?

Kulty

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it's only forward at an angle and backward at an angle, no straight ahead sadly. Might make him slightly worse at beating out projectile characters.
Oh okay. That's sad, but at least it does have some versatility. :)

Joined the King K Rool discord btw. Hope to talk to you guys there and have some good games. :)

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Speaking of projectile characters, I've been preaching at how bad Villager is gonna be for k rool (-2 or worse) but do people share the same opinion? Do people think Villager will be as bad for K rool as I do or do people think he isn't as bad for K rool?
I don't think he'll have as bad a time as slower heavies like Ganondorf and King Dedede, but unless Villager sees some sort of nerfs to his slingshot, it will still be a struggle. If it's -3 for Manon, it will be -2/3 for K. Rool, unless Villager ends up dying really early to burial setup cheese. Guess this is why I have Chrom.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Villager is one of if not the hardest matchup he will have. He doesn't really have a good answer to the Villager wall, and Pocket trumps all his projectiles. KKR has tools, but they will be sub optimal (Dash attack through slingshots, for example).

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
It won't be much easier for chrom either
Guess this is why I have Ganondorf...?

Yeah Villager is going to tear me apart but I'm used to it, I only mained fatties and other bad recovery characters in SSB4 as well. The one I'm really scared of is Isabelle. Mostly the same strengths as Villager, but much cuter and thus significantly more popular. At least I don't have to contend with camping Clouds and untouchable Bayonetta anymore.

C-G

Smash Journeyman

Yeah Villager is going to tear me apart but I'm used to it, I only mained fatties and other bad recovery characters in SSB4 as well. The one I'm really scared of is Isabelle. Mostly the same strengths as Villager, but much cuter and thus significantly more popular. At least I don't have to contend with camping Clouds and untouchable Bayonetta anymore.
Count your blessings: At least you aren't using Incineroar.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog

As a villager main, In my restless dreams. I see that ****ing held nair coming down on me and negating EVERYTHING
SO happy held nair got gutted

Lol I forgot how hard to deal with Villager is gonna be for about 3 quarters of the meta now that his spam is much faster than it was in smash 4

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Using Nair Too Much is kind of a non-factor regarding disadvantage state. So long as he tanks a single hit, he's able to make it back to the ground. It's not like you burn all three hits of armor on descent.

Also don't forget he has the option to air stall via UpAir.
The analysis video shows it has terrible endlag, to the point of him dying for using it below the edge of Green Greens. And the aerial boost is paltry anyway. It won't do squat to avoid juggles.

Sure he won't likely break his armour on one use of nair, but can you avoid being put in disadvantage again right after it gets you out of it?

Villager is one of if not the hardest matchup he will have. He doesn't really have a good answer to the Villager wall, and Pocket trumps all his projectiles. KKR has tools, but they will be sub optimal (Dash attack through slingshots, for example).
Perhaps K. Rool should focus on vacuuming the Lloid Rocket. Then he'll shoot it back at an angle, which will give pause to Villager jumping to fire slingshots constantly. If he pockets it then you get a chance to use your projectiles safely.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
The analysis video shows it has terrible endlag, to the point of him dying for using it below the edge of Green Greens. And the aerial boost is paltry anyway. It won't do squat to avoid juggles.

Sure he won't likely break his armour on one use of nair, but can you avoid being put in disadvantage again right after it gets you out of it?

Perhaps K. Rool should focus on vacuuming the Lloid Rocket. Then he'll shoot it back at an angle, which will give pause to Villager jumping to fire slingshots constantly. If he pockets it then you get a chance to use your projectiles safely.
he's essentially a sitting duck for villager to run up and grab him then, and after he shoots it back villager can most likely spawn another one

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
he's essentially a sitting duck for villager to run up and grab him then, and after he shoots it back villager can most likely spawn another one
Villager can't shoot another Lloid until the current one leaves play. The only time there can be two, I believe, from one Villager is when he throws a pocketed rocket along with a normal one. And it's not like you have to be really close to suck it up; Villager isn't too fast and neither is his grab.

Careful use of his lariat could weather the worst of Villager's storms as it can destroy projectiles.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Villager can't shoot another Lloid until the current one leaves play. The only time there can be two, I believe, from one Villager is when he throws a pocketed rocket along with a normal one. And it's not like you have to be really close to suck it up; Villager isn't too fast and neither is his grab.

Careful use of his lariat could weather the worst of Villager's storms as it can destroy projectiles.
Not like it matters since both situations are actually useless, it's kinda like spamming gravitational pull against him. Not gonna work and if it does then you're actually completely stationary and both of you are useless in this situation

C-G

Smash Journeyman
What you're REALLY suggesting is 'After the armor takes the hit, won't K Rool still be in disadvantage?'. And the answer is 'No, probably not'. Any move that recovers fast enough for continued offense will hit too close to the frankly massive Nair hitbox to be hit as well, and any move spaced out far enough to avoid the hitbox will leave KKR too far out of range for an appropriate followup.

Armoring through a move will almost certainly get him to the ground in time to recover before the opponent could punish, especially if they fast fall

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What you're REALLY suggesting is 'After the armor takes the hit, won't K Rool still be in disadvantage?'. And the answer is 'No, probably not'. Any move that recovers fast enough for continued offense will hit too close to the frankly massive Nair hitbox to be hit as well, and any move spaced out far enough to avoid the hitbox will leave KKR too far out of range for an appropriate followup.

Armoring through a move will almost certainly get him to the ground in time to recover before the opponent could punish, especially if they fast fall
No, what I'm asking is "do you trust K. Rool's neutral enough to not fall into disadvantage quickly again?"

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
No, what I'm asking is "do you trust K. Rool's neutral enough to not fall into disadvantage quickly again?"
It's only 5 seconds, though I guess that can feel like an eternity when you're waiting for something to regenerate...I think he will just have to be careful with his armor

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's only 5 seconds, though I guess that can feel like an eternity when you're waiting for something to regenerate...I think he will just have to be careful with his armor
And don't forget using any move with belly armour while it's regenerating pauses/resets (it's kind of unclear at the moment) the regeneration... so you either have to restrict yourself or risk further damage after it's been used.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
And don't forget using any move with belly armour while it's regenerating pauses/resets (it's kind of unclear at the moment) the regeneration... so you either have to restrict yourself or risk further damage after it's been used.
Oh yeah, definitely not disagreeing there. May have to resort to running away hehe.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
His neutral's pretty decent. Between Cannons, Krowns and disjoints, I have complete faith he can stall for the 5 seconds needed for his belly to heal. Even if he wants to go aggro, he still has several non-belly options to draw from for five seconds that people have to respect

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
I thought about it, and I think the reason that the blunderbuss doesn't shoot straight ahead is so you can't infinitely refire the kannonball or other projectiles into your opponent. The angle just seems too odd to not have some sort of purpose.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I thought about it, and I think the reason that the blunderbuss doesn't shoot straight ahead is so you can't infinitely refire the kannonball or other projectiles into your opponent. The angle just seems too odd to not have some sort of purpose.
Doubt he'd be able to get the suction out fast enough to refire a second time. Kirby and King Dedede can fire their sucked-up projectiles straight. I think K. Rool uses an angle simply to complement his other zoning tool(s).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You also have to ask if the Blunderbuss has a damage threshold itself; if the projectile deals more damage than what the Blunderbuss can handle, then the projectile can't be countered.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
On the topic of the blunderbuss, do we know if all projectiles can be shot back? Or only physical ones? Things like Rool's own cannonball, Lloid rockets, gordos, etc. make sense, but any word of if Lucario's Aura sphere or Mewtwo's shadowball and the like can be vacuumed or not? Although come to think of it vacuuming energy projectile could be argued to make sense considering the Blunderbuss can canonically fire gases too, a non physical entity of it's own.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
And now, here's the Palutena's Guidance for King K. Rool, placed under spoilers just in case.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Palutena confirmed to not know the difference between leather and gold armor

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I don't even want to click on that knowing how poorly those are written, how they have no sense of how 4th wall humor breaks immersion and how every single joke boils down to some dumb reference, that without knowing the context makes no sense.

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
And so the adventure continues as still nobody knows for sure whether or not K. Rool likes or hates bananas.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And so the adventure continues as still nobody knows for sure whether or not K. Rool likes or hates bananas.
One could speculate that King K. Rool has a fondness for bananas. It would at least explain why his troops stole Donkey Kong's banana hoard.

If K. Rool didn't like bananas, then he probably wouldn't even bother trying to steal them in the first place.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I think at this point, K. Rool's motivations are less "steal some tasty bananas" and more "spite the Kongs".

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think at this point, K. Rool's motivations are less "steal some tasty bananas" and more "spite the Kongs".
Whatever the reason, it's pretty clear that King K. Rool made some new enemies when he first stole Donkey Kong's banana hoard. And losing to the Kongs over and over again would eventually lead to the events of Donkey Kong 64, where he would not only steal Donkey Kong's banana hoard, but also try to destroy Donkey Kong Island along the way.

Of course, it is rather baffling how King K. Rool would go through the trouble of stealing a banana hoard, unless there was some sort of banana shortage at his home island.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Whatever the reason, it's pretty clear that King K. Rool made some new enemies when he first stole Donkey Kong's banana hoard. And losing to the Kongs over and over again would eventually lead to the events of Donkey Kong 64, where he would not only steal Donkey Kong's banana hoard, but also try to destroy Donkey Kong Island along the way.

Of course, it is rather baffling how King K. Rool would go through the trouble of stealing a banana hoard, unless there was some sort of banana shortage at his home island.
He would have destroyed both the island and the bananas right away if his Blast-o-Matic didn't break. The theft only happened to distract the Kongs.

Untouch

Smash Master
According to Nairo, you can fire the cannonball up after sucking it up, counter also reflects projectiles.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
One could speculate that King K. Rool has a fondness for bananas. It would at least explain why his troops stole Donkey Kong's banana hoard.

If K. Rool didn't like bananas, then he probably wouldn't even bother trying to steal them in the first place.
What if he's just doing it to be an asshole and because DK sucks and is a dumb, ugly, stinky, gross and mangy MAMMAL?
He's doing it simply to one-up those inferior apes and establish reptile dominace!

Top Bottom