• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
It’s actually quite amusing to see that Diddy‘s Pop Gun does the whole „explode-in-your-face“ schtick whereas K Rool seems to have learned from his mistakes in DKC2

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It’s actually quite amusing to see that Diddy‘s Pop Gun does the whole „explode-in-your-face“ schtick whereas K Rool seems to have learned from his mistakes in DKC2
Give K. Rool some credit, he does learn from his mistakes. The first time he was defeated, he captured the one who defeated him, then he did it again in DKC3, and after that failed, he just said '**** it' and decided to blow up the island.

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
Give K. Rool some credit, he does learn from his mistakes. The first time he was defeated, he captured the one who defeated him, then he did it again in DKC3, and after that failed, he just said '**** it' and decided to blow up the island.
And after that, he decided to not grab the Kong’s attention period when trying to conquer the planet with an alien artifact... K. Rool was just REALLY unlucky that the Kongs just happened to be in the area (Jungle Climber)...

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
New idea:

1) jump above a shielding opponent and fire the cannonball above them.
2) fall onto their shield using the vacuum as a command grab
3) fire into the cannonball
4) ???
5) Profit!

D

Deleted member

A fine idea. Can't wait too see what tricks players come up with for our hefty and I mean that in a good way, crocodile King. Going to be fun.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Rules of being royalty:

Step 1: Have a Crown.

Step 2: Have Highest Title in the land.

Truly King K Rool is the only royalty around here.

D

Deleted member

Well I do acknowledge Bowser as the King of the Koopas, and Ganondorf as the king of evil. And King Dedede as the king of Dreamland. But truly King K. Rool is a king among kings indeed and a royalty of royals, in Super Smash Bros. All hail his greatness.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Funny how, even though they're crocodiles, K. Rool and his krew have a pretty crummy track record when it comes to water. They've crashed pirate ships, submarines, and mechanical islands, they've been thrown into swamps and mangled by sharks, and their homeland sunk into the sea. Not surprising he's stuck with flying machines since 64.
That said I'd love a realistic crocodile swim animation in Smash, though it might not look very convincing with that stump of a tail he's got.

D

Deleted member

If he swims around like a crocodile man what I love that, would be pretty cool. We'll se but cool to think about all the same.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Reminder: Once you get your copy of Smash Bros Ultimate, unlock K. Rool ASAP, use his belly counter, and pause when it expands. Rotate the camera so that we can see what his belly looks like beneath the armor and take a screenshot and share.

We need to find out if he has the yellow flesh belly from PAON K. Rool or he has just green scales underneath. We need to find out now.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
This is one of the reasons why I love King K. Rool as a character so much. Unlike most villains, he notes where he went wrong on the last attempt and tries to overcome his issues on his next attempt. It makes him feel more savvy and relatable, as he is always self-reflecting on himself and brainstorming how he can achieve his goals better. I like to think that he gave up after DK64, because he kept trying to step himself up and realized that, no matter what he did, nothing ever worked. That feeling of being outclassed after years of hard work can be relatable in my opinion, and it's so cool that King K. Rool is one of those rare villains who looks at himself critically like that.

There's also the fact that, especially in DK64, he claims that his minions are "incompetent" and are not up to his standards. This further proves how King K. Rool looks down on others easily, which may lead to a lack of trust on King K. Rool's part and plenty of fear and hopelessness on the kremling's part. This creates a dynamic where both the kremlings and King K. Rool have a hard time cooperating with each other. This also extends to the cartoon, where King K. Rool is almost always irritated with Klump and Krusha, even firing Klump a couple of times if I remember correctly. This, again, is because Klump and Krusha can never seem to nab that crystal coconut that King K. Rool wants so badly for whatever reason, much to King K. Rool's chagrin.

Overall, King K. Rool can be relatable in various ways. It could be his savvyness and learning from mistakes, realizing that learning from mistakes doesn't always work out, having trust issues with his co-workers, and some other factors. I always liked King K. Rool due to these reasons, and I wish there were more villains that felt grounded in reality while being driven mad about their actions. I can't wait to see how Nintendo handles King K. Rool's personality from here on out, I trust them to do a good job in continuing what Rare started.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
That's an excellent point! K. Rool is a smart guy.

it still amazes me that we finally got K. Rool in smash and it makes me so happy. we got Ridley and K. Rool! Pirate reptiles unite! best bromance ever

D

Deleted member

Well do soon as I get the game after I get a feel for it, I'll set out to unlock characters ASAP.

King K. Rool is an unhinged, savy, and complex individual truly a unique character indeed.

Makes him that much better too me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Meanwhile it took Bowser until 20 years to try and decide to kidnap Mario and Luigi who before that had been doing the same antics over and over again. Too bad for him he underestimated Peach and got his butt kicked by her.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

True Bowser is persistent though I'll give him that. He'll always be my number #1 Villain King. But our King K. Rool has got him in some catagories.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
True Bowser is persistent though I'll give him that. He'll always be my number #1 Villain King. But our King K. Rool has got him in some catagories.
I guess when you're a seafarer by trade, you learn that there's plenty of other fish in there. At this point, I think he'd have more reason to be in conflict with the Snowmads than the Kongs. Imagine a three-way battle between the Kongs, Kremlings and Snowmads!

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
When it comes to Bowser, he respects Mario as a worthy adversary. K. Rool thinks Donkey and by extension the rest of the Kongs are idiots if that line about “Dumb ape speak” is to be taken seriously. He doesn’t respect Donkey Kong one iota.

Another endearing thing about K. Rool is that he can be goofy, but still have no redeeming qualities, which is quite hard to pull off, as most baddies with no redeeming qualities are rather boring and serious, where if the villain is indeed kind of goofy and likable they tend to make them “not that bad” to justify people enjoying the character.

I know not a lot of people enjoyed the PAON games, but would anyone else like to see another entry in the King Kruiser series?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well I do acknowledge Bowser as the King of the Koopas, and Ganondorf as the king of evil. And King Dedede as the king of Dreamland. But truly King K. Rool is a king among kings indeed and a royalty of royals, in Super Smash Bros. All hail his greatness.
Although in King Dedede's case, he declared himself ruler. Only his close entourage respects him as such while Dream Land's general populace doesn't pay much attention to him when he isn't up to shenanigans. He also treats his followers far better than K. Rool overall (even when he basically says "only I can harm my Waddle Dees" in Epic Yarn, showing his own way of caring) and is basically friends with Kirby nowadays, so it's quite the contrast to the Kremlings.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Hungrybox is going to be maining K. Rool in Ultimate. I'm even more hype now to see what he can do with the king.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Well that's.......quite the playstyle leap for him. I wish Hbox good luck

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Cool to see that HBox goes for the King. It‘s gonna be fun to watch him play

Bluehedgehog64

Smash Rookie
Hungrybox is going to be maining K. Rool in Ultimate. I'm even more hype now to see what he can do with the king.
>be me
>want to main king k rool
>someone that is already a god at smash bros wants to main the same character as I do just so he can prove everyone that nobody is better than him with that character
>feelsbadman
http://imgur.com/TFLEmjE

Last edited:

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
>be me
>someone that is already a god at smash bros wants to main the same character as I do just so he can prove everyone that nobody is better than him with that character
>feelsbadman
You're looking at this all wrong. I'm terrible at smash, so I'm just going to watch him play and try to emulate what he does. It'll be nice to have a top player you can reference for your main; same thing happened for me in Pokken with sceptile and ThankSwalot.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
>be me
>feelsbadman
If you can't be first, then you can at least be a damn close second. Hungrybox is always going to be a better K. Rool than me, however, I'm going to strive to be a great K. Rool regardless. I've waited too long for this character to back down now.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
To hell with this 'being second' crap. I'm gonna be the best damn King K Rool player in the world, Hungrybox or no Hungrybox.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
If I can't be the best, I sure as hell can be the worst!

No one's untouchable. If you've got the time and dedication you can get better than anyone at anything. Don't settle for second best just because a big name says they're gonna play who you're gonna play!

that's not to say you should antagonize hbox just don't be discouraged, if you wanna be the best then you can do it

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wanna be the VERY best like no one ever was! To beat him is my real test, to train with K.Rool is my cause. I will battle across the land searching far and wide to beat Hungrybox to unlock my potential that's inside!

D

Deleted member

Glad Hungrybox is giving King K. Rool a try, I'm sure I can learn a lot from him and others and will learn to play the character better.

Based of that hope he learns some stuff and that will help him and King K. Rool mains to use the character. Will keep an eye out.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Dang, I'm not spending nearly enough time on the internet! Seriously though, how could I let this slip past me? Honestly after thinking about it for a long time I'll probably end up co-maining Wolf and K. Rool.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
This reminds me, it's actually a funny coincidence for me that the most famous Jigglypuff main is going to be picking up K. Rool in Ultimate. Why? Because I made a joke all the way back in 2015 in the support thread during I think DLC speculation, about the possibility of an alternate universe where Ganondorf was not in the game yet and K. Rool was in since Melee as a Jigglypuff clone.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad he's picking him up.

He'll be great with the character no doubt.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Dude, H-box K. Rool will be hype to watch. It will certainly get the word out on what this character is capable of.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Dude, H-box K. Rool will be hype to watch. It will certainly get the word out on what this character is capable of.
Wonder if this will lead to early meta placements for Rool. As we know, early meta is shaky and hard to define, but K. Rool has a good chance of seeing a lot of play now that a big time Smash player has stated "I'll be frequently playing this character.". At best it'll give K. Rool exposure and cause other players to pick him up. Of course as the meta develops we will inevitably get a better idea of where Rool places, but he might place high by default of prominent use early game. That would be cool if our King was higher tier, even if just for a short time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If anyone here plays or has played Pokken Tournament Deluxe, would it be fair to say Blastoise is the closest to how K. Rool is looking to play?

D

Deleted member

I've never seen it or played Pokken since the original. But I'll take your word for it, and say yes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've never seen it or played Pokken since the original. But I'll take your word for it, and say yes.
He's basically a zoner-grappler hybrid. Highest health tied with a few others, slow and fat but has a number of effective projectiles, armoured approaches and a command grab with big range.

Even his burst attack is not unlike the king's:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
He's basically a zoner-grappler hybrid. Highest health tied with a few others, slow and fat but has a number of effective projectiles, armoured approaches and a command grab with big range.

Even his burst attack is not unlike the king's:

I haven't played Pokken since DLC so don't know Blastoise well enough, but your comparison seems reasonable enough. We've still got a lot of moves of K Rool yet to see though, so he might not exactly fill this niche.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I haven't played Pokken since DLC so don't know Blastoise well enough, but your comparison seems reasonable enough. We've still got a lot of moves of K Rool yet to see though, so he might not exactly fill this niche.
Well yeah, King K. Rool is looking more focused on close combat since his projectiles are too slow or exploitable to keep anyone out, they're more for restricting the opponent's options, and his mobility is a good deal better. Still, Blastoise is a good example of how to incorporate good projectiles in grappler play.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Well yeah, King K. Rool is looking more focused on close combat since his projectiles are too slow or exploitable to keep anyone out, they're more for restricting the opponent's options, and his mobility is a good deal better. Still, Blastoise is a good example of how to incorporate good projectiles in grappler play.
I kind of wonder if ROB fits the mold of a combined zoner/grappler better, as his projectiles are much more multipurpose and his reward off of a grab is likely higher.

I agree; K Rool feels in some sense like he's meant to use his projectiles more for trapping than zoning. Using the boomerang to force shield for grabs, using the blunderbuss to block movement options whilst threatening grabs, that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom