• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
When I first saw him, the first thing I thought of was that fake image of Dedede that someone here made up as his update, and the picture looked pretty similar.
Thats the first thing I thought of too! Good for him, I just have a hard time seeing someone so low to the ground so slow.

LlorshCrespo

Smash Rookie
16 days after Sonic appearance, King dedede yeaahh!! like in two weeks I am expecting Megaman jajajaj

Zallipus

Smash Cadet
This is awesome. King Dedede was another character of mine on my most wanted list. I'm really glad he's in. Now if Mega Man (classic) gets in, I'll be one happy smasher. ^__^

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People are surprised and some mad at Dedede's inclusion...

Insulting Sakurai for adding his own character?

His own character who was voted highest to return and is THE most wanted character on this site (In a poll where you could list ALL your wants, King Dedede showed up more than Sonic or Ridley)

He's bias for adding the most wanted character?

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
When I saw the The New Challenger Approaching Banner I was crossing my fingers for Mewtwo. But, this is just pure Awesomeness!!!! D3 is royalty man. I have to say that if D3 is confirmed, Geno's chance is looking up. Come on Mewtwo, I know you can pull through(fingers crossed).

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
..........DEDEDE!!!! WEWT!!!

I'll bet ANYTHING that when you fight him in Subspace Emissary that his theme will play.

.....I'm maining DDD. XD
Man, I sure hope so. I love King Dedede's boss fight/theme music. I'm really looking forward to trying out Dedede, good job Sakurai!

gregthepirate

Smash Apprentice
I didn't like D3 until I saw him confirmed...that may sound odd, but in the screens, he's HUGE...I Love large characters...and the hammer looks deadly. I'm hoping the little red things carrying him in is his intro.2.10.08. can't come soon enough.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
King Dedede is the first character announced that I've really been wanting in this game! Yay!

BTW, PI, who's complaining about King Dedede's inclusion? That's ridiculous. If we see another Kirby character you can complain then. However as far as I'm concerned King Dedede was more deserving than Meta Knight even.

Emokirby4

Smash Cadet
All Hail the self-proclaimed king of Dream Land!!!

I don't think Sakurai is abusing his power by bringing his own series rep to three. The Kirby series deserves it. Not to say that Starfox, Fire Emblem, or Metroid don't deserve as many reps, but, you know, those complaining are just jealous.

Of course, I wouldn't mind if Sakurai decided to take advantage of his position... I mean I AM a bit of a Kirby fan...

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Sakurai has hold back on kirby representatives. When i saw bowser in melee i taught this meant K Rool and the king were in. But at last all that i wanted out of the kirby games is in.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't know why people would be complaining about another kirby character I mean the mario series will probably end up getting 7-9 reps in brawl...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't know why people would be complaining about another kirby character I mean the mario series will probably end up getting 7-9 reps in brawl...
People around here are always looking for a reason to complain. Don't worry about it.

Anyways, I don't know if I'll main him. Maybe.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Dedede looks awesome!

Hopefully heavyweights are a lot more competitive in brawl than they have been in the past. I'd love to main a penguin with a hammer. XD

JPW

Smash Ace
King Deedee, don't know much about him except the basics. But he looks awesome. And he was a definite and huge favourite to my knowledge.

I think he's revealing everyone now for sure.

King DeeDee would of been a hidden to me.

DeeDee looks awesome though. And this gives me another match to push.

Kirby vs DeeDee vs Metaknight.

I really felt Kirby needed 3 and it's a good set for them. I'm not expecting any more characters from Kirby to join the roster, if there's anyone else it'll be Assist Trophies.

But DeeDee deserves this. He was no.1 on the poll after all wasn't he?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Anyone who didn't see this one coming is seriously delusional...

Anyway, why isn't there yet a character-specific forum for D3???

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Straight out he's a hammer wieldin' pimpin' penguin. There's nothing else to add.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I think this also calls for quoting myself again.

For those complaining about movesets and/or just not knowing the character, I hope this helps...

STATISTICS

(I'll just use Eaode's stats because they're pretty good.)

Jump:

Size:

Weight:

Speed/Agility:

Strength:

Recovery:

Fall Speed:

Ability to Combo:

Ability to KO:

King Dedede will have two midair jumps (for three total). His jump can be held down and he will become inflated. At this point, he will become similar to Peach's float, but it will act more like Mario's cape in Super Mario World. He can bob up and down, and the player can control the movement with the control stick.

He will slowly descend more and more; so you can't do this for a long period of time. Although, you're basically guaranteed to recover if you're horizontally above the stage when you're knocked off. He can bounce if he touches the ground or a character. He can get out of the float by doing another attack, being attacked by another player, or by letting go of the jump button. After doing the float, D3 has no more jumps, regardless of what jump he began with.

WEAK ATTACKS

Neutral A Combo

Description:
Triple D alternates between slapping the opponent with one fin and swinging his mallet with the other hand.

Forward Tilt

Description:
D3 will push his mallet out like a pool cue to keep the opponent at bay. It will briefly stun the opponent; so it could possibly be followed up by a dash attack or a dash grab. Less affective at low percentages.

Up Tilt

Description:
D3 swings his hammer around his head continuously in a propeller-like fashion (looks like he's swinging a sling) as long as A is held down. Wind-down time is slow, and he is very open to attack from the sides.

Down Tilt

Description:
While crouched, D3 will swing his mallet back-handed in an arc shape, almost like he's doing the Breast Stroke, only with a hammer. (This is basically exactly like Ice Climbers' dtilt.)

Dash Attack

Description:
This will be Dedede's classic run and lunge. He will be running and during the attack will fall on his face and slide a good distance. The attack will strike the opponent during the first half of the animation, and the animation sort of looks like Captain Falcon's >b when he misses the opponent. D3's dash attack is actually a useful dash attack, unlike most character's.

STRONG ATTACKS

Forward Smash

Description:
This move comes straight from Kirby 64 (one time D3 is actually playable). As this attack is charged, D3 will hold his mallet behind him and wind up like he does in Kirby 64. Then, he will release a powerful hammer slam with a star shooting out. There is a lot of downtime for this attack; so there is a tradeoff . It would be a finishing move, and could not be followed up with combos. The beginning of this move is very different, but the final part of the attack is very similar to Ice Climbers' fsmash.

Up Smash

Description:
Triple D holds his hammer straight up and some small stars come out. The star animation/damage is similar to Zelda's utilt. This attack is good for juggling and starting combos as it will make opponents fall at an angle within reach of Dedede. The animation of the mallet will be similar looking to IC's utilt.

Down Smash

Description:
D3 does a very quick hammer slam in front of him; he then immediately strikes behind him going directly back with his mallet. The front strike to back strike is very smooth and very quick. This can be repeated to make a very affective fast attack. Doing this would be similar to DK's vB attack. This is a modified version of the attack below, which only attacks in front. Stars could also come out, but they would not occur every time.

While this picture looks similar to the one above in the fsmash, the animation in Brawl would be very different and the affects would be quite different, like those in the Kirby games.

AERIAL ATTACKS

Neutral Aerial

Description:
D3 spins around once in a 360 with his mallet out. This attack would look similar Kirby's >B in the air, but its affects would be more similar to DK's fair. It can spike if sweet-spotted. Opponents down quickly at a sharp angle (direction depends on the point at which the opponent was hit).

Forward Aerial

Description:
D3 exhales a breath of air at the opponent. This attack has a lot of priority and a lot of knock back but no damage. It would be used to interrupt an oncoming strong attack and can deflect (or veer off) some types of projectiles.

Up Aerial

Description:
D3 points upward and goes upward a very short distance and attacks upward with his beak. This attack is good for juggling, but it doesn't have a lot of power to it.

Down Aerial

Description:
Dedede swings his hammer down in a half moon type arc, much like marth's dair. This move isn't particularly useful for anything. It's best used short-hopped and close to the ground.

Back Aerial

Description:
D3 extends his legs and kicks backwards very similar to what Kirby does.This can be a very good edge guard, but it doesn't knock the opponent back as far. He doesn't "kick" his feet out, though; he just extends them. So, there is no animation after it is pressed. It's almost like a backwards sex kick.

SPECIAL ATTACKS

Neutral B

Name: Inhale

Description:
Yes, Triple D has Kirby's classic move. Why? Because from those games, he also has this ability. He cannot swallow or copy but can only cause damage by shooting the the opponent out as a warp star. This essentially acts as a second grab, much like Bowser's >B. Triple D can decide which side and to some extent the angle that the opponent shoots out. This could possibly be useful for getting an opponent off the edge or for leaving them dazed momentarily for a follow-up attack.

Side B

Name: Mallet-rang

Description:
This attack is much like Captain America's Shield, only a little slower. D3 throws his mallet forward and it spirals at the opponent. The mallet has a completely horizontal trajectory. If it makes a hit, it will return to him, just like a boomerang. If the mallet does not hit the opponent, it will continue to go forward and not return, unlike Link's Boomerang. If this happens, it will take one or two seconds for him to use a mallet attack again, similar to Jiggly's rest downtime, only a little faster.

Up B

Name: Hammer Slam

Description:

Triple D will go up slightly and then down for about 2 seconds or until he hits the ground. He will have his hammer out for attack when he does this. This attack will be similar to Kirby's up-B. When he hits the ground, a star will come out. D3 jumps directly vertically and there is no horizontal movement with this move whatsoever.

Down B

Name: Penguin Bomb (that was a good name, Eaode...)

Description:
Yes, two other characters have it, but Dedede needs it, and it will be different. I promise. In any case, Triple D will rise to the air and slam to the ground on his bum. When he lands, two stars come out, one on either side, which also hurt the opponent. The twist here is that while the other two characters simply jump up and come straight down, Triple D has more control over it. It's not quite as quick as these other two, but it mostly goes in an arc shape. The angle and distance can be controlled during the move, much like Yoshi's eggs.

Don't tell me his specials are too similar...you know he's going to have them!

GRABS

Grab Attack

Description:
D3's grab will not be like Yoshi's. He will simply grab them with his free hand and clobber them on the top of the head with his mallet for his attack.

Forward Throw

Description:
D3 will set the opponent down and hold his mallet sideways. Then, he will swing and follow through like he was teeing off to send them forward.

Up Throw

Description:
This is a simple toss upwards. It's light enough and quick enough to juggle the opponent and to start a combo.

Down Throw

Description:
Dedede will bury the opponent in the dirt with the top of his mallet. They will pop up and fly away; so this isn't particularly useful for anything other than just mixing things up.

Back Throw

Description:
Triple D will lightly toss the opponent back and then follow through hard with his mallet like he's hitting a homerun. This is a great KO move if you're near the edge.

MISC.

Final Smash
Eaode's was good, but I'll modify it slightly

Description:

Dedede will get the Star Rod from Kirby's Adventure. The star at the tip is slightly larger than your average Star Rod. This Rod is a temporary item, and Dedede can shoot giant stars out of it. The stars range in size from Bowser-sized to as big as GigaBowser. Opponents can avoid the stars, but it may be difficult. Damage/Knock back for any star that hits an opponent will be magnified to its size accordingly.

Running

Description:
Dedede will run with his mallet out like so:

Kirby Hat

Description:
Yes, if Kirby copies Dedede, his ability really will not change much but he cannot copy anyone else. Instead, he gets a sort of upgraded spit attack, which many Kirby fans might find beneficial. At least he is no worse than if he was fighting another Kirby...

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
I forget, but didn't dedede have a sucking ability like kirby in the first gameboy game? Like in the last stage? And niether character had a copy ability.
(pun not intended)

algandar88

Smash Journeyman
Becuase King Dedede was on high demand compared to Skull Kid. You wont be happy until an new Zelda rep is added right? ;)
u r absolutly correct...im patiently waiting for a new rep from like skull kid or the young link who can transform like zelda into a goron and zora......or the mail man from tp

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
On the website it mentions King Dedede using a mechanized hammer to smash the competition. For some reason, I have a feeling that the hammer is going to open on one end and shoot out a punching glove on a spring just like in the cartoons.

algandar88

Smash Journeyman
On the website it mentions King Dedede using a mechanized hammer to smash the competition. For some reason, I have a feeling that the hammer is going to open on one end and shoot out a punching glove on a spring just like in the cartoons.
lol that would be funny .......u guys seriously like dedede?

Top Bottom