• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede

BowserX

Smash Rookie
I don't know but I thought, wouldn't it be cool if King Dedede was a playable character? I already thought of a smash move for him. He could slam his hammer on the ground and cause all other characters to fly into the air and be shooken up in a remaining earthquake. (sounds stupid, I know, but just a thought)

icymatt

Smash Lord
I would like Dedede, he completes the Kirby trifecta.

He also seems to be a pretty likely inclusion at this point, since he's been suggested the most on the Dojo site.

BowserX

Smash Rookie
Oh cool, and knowing that DoJo is the official site, maybe he would be added :chuckle:

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
I think it's the only character I never really had to think about in terms of being included.
It's a sure addition. Sakurai is being nuked with fan requests and Kirby needs his rival.
The character fits the game. I wil master him just for fun.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I love King Dedede, he's funny, strong and just a cool character. I like him better than Kirby. Dedede is one of my favorite video game villains. Mario has Bowser, Link has Ganondorf, it's about time Kirby has Dedede.

DeDeDe's stats: Strength: 4 Speed: 2 Weight: 4 Height: 3 Jump: 4 Overall: 3

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
At first, I thought Dedede would get in S2B2 before Metakight. But I guess he is cooler (I like Dedede more myself).
But come tothink about, Sakurai is one of the people behind Kirby games. I was surpised we didn't got more Kirby characters before. And Dedede would fit in three different was:
-An Ice Climbers clone (Dedede would be just one character, of course. Just we just need to makesome fixes to the Bneutraland the Bup attacks).
-A Kirby clone (Yes, both of them inhale, both float and both have hammers. Just change Final cutter for Final Hammer, Dedede wouldn't copy abilities and adjust Kirby's structure to match Dedede's).
-An original character (best and most possible choice).

BTW, Wasn't this topic already done? If so, I'll change my post to the original topic.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Dedede can do most (if not all) of Kirby's moves.

No final cutter. Can inflate and fly (probably less jumps than kirby)
Has hammer, so he could have the moves of a lone ice climber, but his dash attack
has to be the one from Nightmare in Dreamland (Lunges forward, delivers a powerful attack,
falls over, lol!). He could do the same thing as Final Cutter but with his hammer for his up.

He could swallow people, chew them, and spit them out,
but he can't absorb abilities.

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
The day I first saw the SSBB video, I thought "man, Dedede would be great for this game. . ."

By the way, I like the third image the best. That just IS Dedede, ya know?

Up-B could be a Hammer Uppercut style attack.

The one where Dedede bullrushes, but falls over later, sounds more like a dash attack.

His Super Smash could be "Hammer of Dreams" or maybe "Illusions." A new move for Dedede, he uses trick magic via Tanuki Leaf, and super jumps off the stage, a little to the side. As he comes down, his hammer, now GIANT sized (huh, I think I got this from Snorlax), comes raining down upon the entire stage. It would have two sweet-spots: one in the exact center of the giant hammer, and another right where Dedede himself is, and where his actual hammer would really be.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Penguins are the second coolest species next to Monkeys of course.

I'm not a huge Kirby fan but I do think that Dedede is the second most deserving character (now that Metaknight has been confirmed it means that the Kirby series doesn't absoloutly need him, I think Diddy is more deserving at the moment because his series only has one character) Dedede would be really great.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody know if Dedede was playable in any game other than Kirby Air Ride (which I don't really consider a Kirby game at all)?

I'm just doing a background check. . .

EDIT: Woot! 100th post! Journeyman status for me :D !

icymatt

Smash Lord
You got to play as him in some levels in Kirby 64.

He's also an unlockable character in Canvas Curse.

GenG

Smash Lord
I really don't think we NEED Dedede, but if Sakurai-san wants him in (which seems to be the case) - he's in.
We NEED Dedede, he is the second most recurring character (not villain) in the Kirby series. Much better Brawl candidate than Metaknight.

But he will appear definitely, it's pretty obvious.

DrRape

Smash Cadet
If Dedede isnt in the next game im going to pissed but ill still buy the game i dont see how i couldent lol. But the only thing im woried about is Dedede being like the ice climbers with the hammer attacks.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
We NEED Dedede, he is the second most recurring character (not villain) in the Kirby series. Much better Brawl candidate than Metaknight.
Hell no. Metaknight>DeDeDe
I still like him, but not as much as Meta.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, there are only so many things you can do with a hammer. And the Ice Climbers took most of them.

Plus his specials might be similar to Kirby's.

His B move would probably be the vaccumm mouth.
I am sure one of his hammer moves woud look like the Toward B.
And doesn't Dedede do a butt stomp with stars coming out (just like Yoshi's special, although Kirby as a similar down B)
Plus he might float.

Too many similar moves I would say. Especially with Metaknight already a Kirby like creature with a sword. Too bad, because the idea of fat penguin with a giant hammer does sound intriguing.

GenG

Smash Lord
Hell no. Metaknight>DeDeDe
I still like him, but not as much as Meta.
You can find a Metaknight in every cheap anime series. Dark and quiet characters that have a lot of skill, and are reticent to fighting unless necessary. The world is filled with these and they aren't unique anymore since the Japanese started to exploit them in their series about mid 90s.

But wacky antagonists are pretty rare. I like Metaknight a lot, but Dedede is always a step over MK. For uniqueness and importance in the Kirby games.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
You people are thinking to much on ' He is going to be an ice climber or a kirby clone" sure he is going to use his hammer and suck in air but no he won't be a clone he does have a orignial move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVg-UlPZUxA

Around 4:16 that should be one of his moves I'm not sure which one it should (I mean In the B moves) but when you press it you will bounce all over the ground and any one under you would get hurt. Just saying that move should be in, shows what dedede is all about.

THE KING FOR BAWL!

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
You can find a Metaknight in every cheap anime series. Dark and quiet characters that have a lot of skill, and are reticent to fighting unless necessary. The world is filled with these and they aren't unique anymore since the Japanese started to exploit them in their series about mid 90s.
You got a point and I agree with you in the part that recent videogames/anime/manga exploit the dark, quiet types to be the "cool" character. But it doesn't seem to apply 100% to Metaknight. If you played superstar, Metaknight get emotional at times and is actually quite compassionate towad his crew; for me, he is badass not because he acts "dark and quite" but shows a balance between fire and ice.

Sheek

Smash Apprentice
Yes. Yes it would. I can imagine me hammering a person now. $_$

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You people are thinking to much on ' He is going to be an ice climber or a kirby clone" sure he is going to use his hammer and suck in air but no he won't be a clone he does have a orignial move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVg-UlPZUxA

Around 4:16 that should be one of his moves I'm not sure which one it should (I mean In the B moves) but when you press it you will bounce all over the ground and any one under you would get hurt. Just saying that move should be in, shows what dedede is all about.

THE KING FOR BAWL!
But that is one move. His other B moves and attacks will probably just be a mesh of IC attacks and Kirby specials. There is not much variety in Hammer smashes and hits. I kinda want him in, but he needs to have some new moves.

GenG

Smash Lord
You got a point and I agree with you in the part that recent videogames/anime/manga exploit the dark, quiet types to be the "cool" character. But it doesn't seem to apply 100% to Metaknight. If you played superstar, Metaknight get emotional at times and is actually quite compassionate towad his crew; for me, he is badass not because he acts "dark and quite" but shows a balance between fire and ice.
Sure, I've seen the Hoshi no Kirby anime series and Metaknight acts all cool but he's actually taking care of Kirby in a distant way. Kirby Superstar is my favourite Kirby game, not just by the incredible amount of stories and games, but the whole Revenge of Metaknight plot. It gave a lot of background and personality to a character that only made a few minor appareances before (without having a actual name since this game).

My point was that Dedede has more priority Smash-wise. And he won't be a clone. Both Link and Marth use a sword, and they playstyle are completely different. This is the same, but with hammers. Other than his trademark pound, the moveset would be original. That's, of course, if the IC stay.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Here is a challenge.

Try to write a moveset on King Dedede that uses different hammer moves and different special moves then Kirby while still keeping his flavor. Of course some moves can be similar, but for the most part he should have his own style.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Give me a day. . .de. . .de. . .

(What? You don't get the joke? Let me give you a hint: "Dedede" is NOT pronounced "dee-dee-dee," it's pronounced "day-day-day." Betcha didn't know that!)

GenG

Smash Lord
Take my challenge then. The problem is that King Dedede does have moves, but they are so similar to Kirby's and the IC's.
They "can" build a original moveset with the 4 moves that Dedede has. It just needs a lot of character comprehension and understanding (which I don't have). Heck, Sakurai created Dedede, I'm sure that he is capable of doing that. Not all moves will be based on actual games, because part of the Smash flavor is to capture the essence of the characters in moves that fit them. Look Marth, Fox, Falcon...

Top Bottom