• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede General Moveset Discussion

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This is basically a thread to talk about which moves Dedede may be bringing back and which new moves he could have learned this time around.
Old moves and new moves alike shall be discussed here.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think he should get a new neutral special. I'm not a big Kirby fan but Sakurai could easily think of something that is not just a nerfed version of Kirby's.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think he should get a new neutral special. I'm not a big Kirby fan but Sakurai could easily think of something that is not just a nerfed version of Kirby's.
Maybe Kirby should be the one to get a new neutral special? :troll:

I actually like Imhotep Dedede though, it was a really fun move to use.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I'd be happy if they just increased the range of some of his attacks and buffed his neutral and down specials.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
As long as the Rocket Hammer is a little faster (fixed wavedashing would really help this IMO) I'll be a happy man. Some of his aerials might also need a little attention.

I also had the nuttiest idea recently for a new final smash. Basically, Dedede turns his hammer upside down and jumps on the head of it. He shades his eyes, makes a heroic expression, and the rocket in the hammer explodes, dealing a whole lot of damage to anyone nearby and also blasting him straight forward a set distance, covered in flame. Regardless of my tomfoolery, I feel that Dedede could use a more interesting Final Smash.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This would be more fitting for Kirby, I guess, since Kirby is the one who used it originally. But it could work with Dedede too.
Yeah, but Kirby should get the Ultra Sword imo.
I'd prefer Masked Dedede to the Ultra Hammer, but less transformation FSs would be nice.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I guess I'll just classify the moves confirmed...

Neutral Aerial

Up Special/ Super Dedede Jump

Down Special/Jet Hammer

Down Taunt

I'm having trouble classifying this one, does anybody know what it is?

And, as a sugestion for a move, I'd like his f-air to be replaced with the hammer swing downwards from his boss fights.
upload_2014-1-11_17-59-47.png

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I'd like for his neutral special to be buffed. Besides the sacrificial KO it's pretty much useless.

I don't really like it either, but I can't think of a move that could replace it. I say buff it. Give the inhale more range, and make the star fly further and do more damage. In the Kirby games the move would send Kirby clear across the stage. We should get the same feel in Smash: blast poor unfortunate souls that get caught far across stage and make them smash into other opponents.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Honestly there isn't one move he has I would change. Well the properties sure but as for the actual moves/animations are concerned, Dedede was the perfect transition from his native game to Smash. The only move I'd possibly physically change would be Uair, and quite frankly I can't think of a better move to fit the slot so ya, DDD is one character who needs 0 revamps to his moves.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If I were to hazard a guess, I would actually say that's his F-tilt, though it is interesting to think of it as a change to one of his Throws.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would actually say that's his F-tilt, though it is interesting to think of it as a change to one of his Throws.
Puts people on the end of his hammer, smiles at them, then flips them over his head and slams them into the ground behind him. That would be sick.

Pretty sure it's just a well timed shot though.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I think it would be cool if it was changed so that you could angle the shot of your neutral b in exchange for not being able to walk around while someone's in your mouth.

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
The start-up and ending lag on his up and down smash should be changed. His down smash should be a quick all-round swipe so he could follow up with an aerial or something. As for his up smash, it should get slightly more knock back on a sweet spot (the head of his mallet, similar to his f-smash) and be quicker as well. I know he already has his u-tilt but the smashes could be good moves to get the heat off his back since his only poking moves are his d-tilt or if he even has time: a short hop b-air.

In addition, Super Dedede Jump's stars should go further or be slightly bigger considering his invincibility frames fading upon his descent. They should also make it so that he could head but opponents when rising since his Waddle-Dee Toss now only throws Gordos and idk how he throws those mid-air. This could prove effective against countering some of those pesky edge-guarders since,despite his multiple jumps, he's still a big target.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I had an interesting Final Smash idea.

The Ultra Hammer from Kirby's Return to Dream Land.
Masked Dedede or bust.

I just wanted them to get rid of the stupid Jet Hammer. Not only was it useless in Brawl, but it's not even canon.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I hope Jet Hammer gets some sort of buff a la Project M but I think we can all agree that Dedede should get a new Final Smash.

I haven't played much Kirby games (a little bit of Kirby's Adventure and RtDL) but Masked Dedede would be pretty awesome. (Just not as a transformation Final Smash).

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I hope Jet Hammer gets some sort of buff a la Project M but I think we can all agree that Dedede should get a new Final Smash.

I haven't played much Kirby games (a little bit of Kirby's Adventure and RtDL) but Masked Dedede would be pretty awesome. (Just not as a transformation Final Smash).
I actually liked his goofy dance. It was beyond fitting and thematically correct. But I will not mind a new Final Smash, and if we get Masked Dedede it would have to be transformation. The reason why is because Masked Dedede doesn't have any attacks that could specifically be directional or the stage nukes. He would have to go around and actually fight.

Masked Dedede or bust.

I just wanted them to get rid of the stupid Jet Hammer. Not only was it useless in Brawl, but it's not even canon.
A lot of things in Smash aren't canon. The reflectors, Kirby using abilities without hats, Mega Man not changing colors without powers, Bowser drop kicking, Falcon Punch (became "canon" after Smash), and Ness using offensive PSI. Also I don't think it matters if it's canon or not, Sakurai literally CREATED Dedede.

Along with that, Dedede's Jet Hammer eventually became part of Masked Dedede so now it is canon.

One of Dedede's main moves in the Kirby series is actually inhaling and spitting out his opponents. I feel like it should just be generally buffed but nothing else would fit more. That is literally one of his most iconic moves.

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I wouldn't really want to get rid of the Jet Hammer down special, but I do wish it had more range. In brawl, it feels almost inferior to the forward smash since it takes much longer to charge, has a lower range, and even more ending lag. The only thing it's good for is catching opponents off guard in the air.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Masked Dedede or bust.

Uh, nobody cares if it's canon or not, if it works as a move in Smash there is no reason to not have it. Besides, while that argument may hold a certain ground with other characters, this is freakin' Dedede, Sakurai's character. Sakurai, the creator of Dedede, thought that giving him a Jet Hammer was a nice idea, I repeat, the creator of Dedede thought that giving his creation an impossibly cool weapon was a cool idea. I don't want to be that guy but if Sakurai saw it as a way to improve his character, who are we to say that he should get rid of it?
Oh and the Jet Hammer appeared in Kirby Super Star Ultra along with other enhancements, therefore is canon. Let no one say that Smash doesn't influence it's fighters' home series.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hey guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a8Kz0wcJwk#t=182

DDD pulls back and then swings in an arc forward and follows through over his shoulder. I wonder if that's his new ftilt? Maybe Sakurai is reducing the amount of multi-hit attacks (those were sorta a big theme in Brawl) and his up air could be different too.

Seems like DDD's getting lots of new moves / animations. I hope he's still really fun to play! I loved his Brawl self.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Hey guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a8Kz0wcJwk#t=182

DDD pulls back and then swings in an arc forward and follows through over his shoulder. I wonder if that's his new ftilt? Maybe Sakurai is reducing the amount of multi-hit attacks (those were sorta a big theme in Brawl) and his up air could be different too.

Seems like DDD's getting lots of new moves / animations. I hope he's still really fun to play! I loved his Brawl self.
Actually if you look closer you see his gordo pop out. that is just his side-b. Also according to this pic Dedede's Final Smash changed.

Cook

Smash Master
Um, ya'll crazy. DDD's inhale is one of his best moves. Aerial command grab in a game where shielding is broken = awesome.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Dedede's inhale is great for edge guarding. The only move of his I NEVER used was the Jet Hammer. Any news regarding a buff?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Neutral Aerial

Down Special/Jet Hammer

Down Taunt

And, as a sugestion for a move, I'd like his f-air to be replaced with the hammer swing downwards from his boss fights.
View attachment 6273
The one with Villager looks like his back roll.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

Neutral Aerial

Down Special/Jet Hammer

Down Taunt

View attachment 6273
Hey! Just checked out his new moves on Yakusho's stream a few hours ago. His fair IS INDEED THAT ATTACK! (or similar, I think the ending pose is a little different)

He swings the hammer overhead (though it doesn't reach too far out), and he follows throw (he spins/flips forward and then downward).

This will be quite weird, perhaps it can now spike? But it is very different from his Brawl move. In Brawl it could hit slightly below him, in front, and then above. Now it looks like it hits above him (hard to see when the hitbox starts), then ends a little below horizontal. I wonder how that'll play out.

Up B: If he hits a grounded opponent they become grounded.

Dash attack!!! They changed his big glomp, which I will miss. Instead he now has a cute, quick, short distance roll, which ends in his crouch pose... as lag??? This is very strange, as it does not seem like a powerful move at all. It doesn't have much knockback, imagine DDD's nair in Brawl at best.

I'm a little confused what the design team was trying to achieve with these changes. I do not doubt them, I am just curious. I guess the dash attack gives him another ground move, as the only quick horizontal attack he had was his dtilt and his jab. Hopefully it will knock them far back enough that he can't get punished for his lag though.

Or perhaps his dash attack's end pose (the crouch sexy pose) can be canceled, and Yakusho just isn't inputting anything during that time.

EDIT: Oh, his DTILT is the rolling attack, and it doesn't have too much lag, and his dash attack is still there! YAY! His fair and dair can also be used pretty fast despite his fair looking sorta like DK or yoshi's fairs. His dair whacks his hammer below him instead of drilling.

Last edited:

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
He didn't use any throws :( Also hi :)
Hello!

I'm really curious about what they did to his throw game. Bthrow damage and, of course, dthrow. He might struggle to rack of damage against quicker characters without these tools

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Sakurai changed his dair, fair, bair. The bair is with the hammer now, still Strong. His down-grab cant chain grab, when you throuh, the char have some frams invunerable, this kill all chain grabs. I think ddd was nerf.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
So how's dthrow? Any followups? Is it completely changed?
dthrow slams them down and they pop up, really pretty far away too. I can't tell if the people I've been playing are awful or something but anytime I've down a uthrow I can follow up with uair, the entire thing if at low enough damage and the last good hits of it later on.

Also I forget the move I used to start it but dtilt > dtilt > ftilt (and I think I even followed up with fair, but that may have been their mistake) seemed to work. His new dtilt is a weird roll thing, he lands in his beach pose.

Also want to say I've been playing Dedede pretty much the most online so far (which is surprisingly very smooth). His new gordo move is really nice but it is really dangerous to spam. Any little opposing attack will reflect it back at you and hurt you, and it's a pretty hard hitting move, too (like 12% as well). It has a few different trajectories, one very light hit that bounces a lot, a slightly harder hit, a medium hit (I think) and a very hard hit that almost sends it horizontally. It's random from what I can tell, I've tried buttons to get different effects but nothing. both the gordo and his hammer have hitboxes. if you use b> while a gordo is out he will swing his hammer. Also you can stick gordos on the side of stages, something I've been doing is sticking a gordo right at the edge so people can't recover efficiently.

This game is awesome and I like all the new characters but Dedede could very well end up my main again :dedede:

Last edited:

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Tips in the demo says something about his dtilt.
He can attack while prone by cartwheeling forward. This lets him attack while moving, like a dash attack.
I don't get it.

Top Bottom