• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King De De De: Penguin or Duck?

XSilverX

Smash Cadet
How many times must i say this, he is a kitty kat! X3! Where are u ppl getting these random ideas from, i mean come on..penguin..duck..psh yeah right!

XSilverX

Smash Cadet
he...doesnt..resemble..a..penguin..or..a..duck..stop..including..them...in..your...guesses..hes a KITTY KAT!! x3

Delsait

Smash Rookie
Dedede is not a penguin. Penguins are drawn in a completly different style in Kirby.

Iboid

Smash Apprentice
Sense when was there a law that a Nintnedo creature HAST to resembled the animal it's based off of?

Bowser (...yeah)
Yoshi (doesn't stand like a dinosaur or have teeth and has a longer tonuge... AND THAT NOSE)
Pikachu (need I say anything?)
Ivysaur (Just so you know, he's based off of a toad. That's right)
Dedede (Penguin. If he was a duck, he wouldn't have such a short beak. And he doesn't fly. HE FLOATS. He enhales the air and uses it to inflate his body.)

CO18

Smash Hero
Just So All Of You Guys Know. Dedede Is Officially Listed As An Eagle In The Handbook Of His First Game. :)

Iboid

Smash Apprentice
Just So All Of You Guys Know. Dedede Is Officially Listed As An Eagle In The Handbook Of His First Game. :)
Birdo was listed as a man in the SMB2 hand booklet.

TIMES CHANGE. :p

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
Dedede? Eagle?
Maybe. I have been looking on the internet to search for some information, but the only thing I found is that he is a penguin so he is a penguin.

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
1) it is confirmed that birdo is the only transvestite bird character among video games
2) the beak does not look more like a penguins at all. find me a picture of a penguin with a fat yellow beak
3) just because everyone likes penguins more doesnt mean Dedede is one

Rakushun

Smash Cadet
I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, but in the anime there's an episode where some penguins invade and Escargon remarks that they look like Dedede.
Now I don't know if any of you watch the anime or not, but Dedede and Escargon are always together. However, Dedede was knocked unconscious RIGHT before he says his DDD comment. When Escargon realizes DDD is unconscious, he tries to wake him up, saying his relatives are here. I'm thinking the writers kept Dedede unconscious on purpose to keep Dedede from remarking one way or the other about his relation to penguins.

And when Dedede finally does see the penguins for himself, he doesn't say anything either way about their appearance and his. Neither do the penguins.

The official answer, I believe, is that Dedede is just some made up fat thing, mostly evidenced by the fact that he has hands, not wings. I, however, will continue to think of him as a penguin. For one, penguins in cartoons/games are always blue (or black). Second he has his funky feet that make him look like he waddles, which penguins do. And third the beak, while it doesn't look like either a duck beak or a penguin beak, gives away that he must be some kind of bird.

He's definitely NOT an eagle though.

Top Bottom