• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King De De De: Penguin or Duck?

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Well, he's more penguin-ish. Nintendo penguins do have yellow beaks.

Jumble

Smash Apprentice
Well there you have it
Wikipedia never lies!

Dedede is a large blue penguin creature, dressed in red royal finery, with his personal emblem embossed on the back of his robe. He also wears yellow gloves, and usually wields a large hammer as an offensive weapon

-It's royal finery! not a winter coat.. i stand corrected
-and NOT A DUCK! OMG
a penguin CREATURE.. meaning what?

NyGGz

Smash Rookie
A ****ING PENGUIN CREATURE ! YOU GET IT ???
wikipedia cant lie :O

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
OK, here comes the future ornithologist ;). All right, time to reveal my secret life....besides gaming, I like birdwatching. You can laugh later, but let me explain. I am incredibly familiar with MANY species of birds, all the major families around the world. Sorry to crush your dreams, but of the over 9,000 species of birds worldwide, there is NONE that resembles Dedede to a perfect T. :laugh: He is a creation of Sakurai's mind, a large, chubby bird with the ability to fly by inflating which carries around a huge mechanical mallet. SO all this stuff about his beak color and body color...doesn't matter! Sakurai has creative license, he could've given Dedede an extra head if he wanted to. :psycho: He could say Dedede is a hummingbird, and we'd have to believe him, it would be canon. :chuckle: Ok, NOW, you can laugh. ;)

P.S. Res ipsa loquitur, I think The King looks most like a penguin, but obviously with some features that real penguins don't have.

G-X

Smash Apprentice
I also believe him to be part puffin, to only a light degree. The reason I believe him to be part puffin, is due to him inhaling air, and then 'puffin' himself up, giving him the ability to float about.
This is the best argument I have ever heard.

DeDeDe is half penguin, half puffin.

Internets over. Counter-Terrorists win.

Zsy

Smash Rookie
He's a penguin. That's one reason he inflates to fly rather than flapping his wing/hand things...
(The other reason being because he's trying to be better than Kirby.)

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
The robes may be Royal finery, but Giant Yellow Mittens(not gloves, they are mittens) prove he is from somewhere cold. Therefor He is in fact a penguin. And because A Giant Penguin W/ Rocket powered hammer doesn't promote AFLAC jokes like a duck would.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
He appears completely penguin-like. But I vaguely remember reading he was a Fat-Eagle. I think it was in a guidebook in an old kirby game or s/t.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
Kirby wiki said:
King Dedede resembles a large birdlike creature, based either on a penguin or a duck (though he is never officialy called either of these), dressed in red royal finery, with his personal emblem ( a picture of himself performing the V Sign, or' in later games, just the hand alone performing the sign) embossed on the back of his robe. He also wears yellow gloves, and wields a large hammer as an offensive weapon. He is able to suck in objects and spit them out in a manner similar to Kirby, and following Kirby's Dream Land, he apparently underwent a series of rigorous training to be able to use inhaled air to fly, in the same manner as Kirby.
there you have it

J18

Smash Journeyman
he's most definitely a penguin. we're not basing the character's species by their abilities. can hedgehog's run at mach 1? no.

XSilverX

Smash Cadet
no hes not a flea, hes a kitty kat with a flea on him ^^...a flea..greater..than...ALL THE FLEA'S IN THE WORLD, muahahhahahahaha....yes i know im crazy ^^

XSilverX

Smash Cadet
there is no humor involved! he is a kitty kat as simple as that ^^! cool that rhymes X3!

Top Bottom