• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Boo for Smash Switch! Does he stand a ghost of a chance?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Yeah. A Nintendo-character featured in Smash resulting in an increased interest for the Nintendo-game this character comes from must have nothing to with advertisement and is probably just a coincidence... Not that there is anything wrong with it.
So your argument is that every Nintendo character that had a game recently is a shill pick? That villager, WFT, Rosalina, Little Mac, Greninja, Palutena, Miis, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Shulk, and Bowser Junior were all "Shill picks"? Ridley was stated to have been added due to fan demand, but he was featured prominently in the Metroid 2 remake the previous year. Was he a shill pick? It's a Nintendo fighting game, so most of the characters are from prominent and recent Nintendo games. That doesn't mean the criteria is to advertise other games. The only other option is to fill the entire roster with retro characters like Rob and Ice climbers and characters that aren't on Nintendo systems.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
So your argument is that every Nintendo character that had a game recently is a shill pick? That villager, WFT, Rosalina, Little Mac, Greninja, Palutena, Miis, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Shulk, and Bowser Junior were all "Shill picks"? Ridley was stated to have been added due to fan demand, but he was featured prominently in the Metroid 2 remake the previous year. Was he a shill pick? It's a Nintendo fighting game, so most of the characters are from prominent and recent Nintendo games. That doesn't mean the criteria is to advertise other games. The only other option is to fill the entire roster with retro characters like Rob and Ice climbers and characters that aren't on Nintendo systems.
I never used the term "shill pick". Calm down.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
that’s literally a perfect example of an advertisement

It depends on how you mean it. The ARMS developers clearly took the opportunity to advertise their game, but there is no indication that Min Min was chosen for the purpose of advertisement. Every character that gets added is free advertisement for the game they're from. Just because the ARMS developers did a free demo to capitalize on it doesn't make Min Min any more of a shill than any other character.
I agree with Sigran. When Sm4sh was coming out, each game from which Smash had a revealed character, then had several games from that series go on sale on the eShop. It is the same thing.
arms is the newest nintendo ip in smash lol they obviously wanna promote it
ARMS is also a considerably unique game, with unseen mechanics and a full cast of standout-quirky characters.
It just meets Smash criteria for picks.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
ye getting ur character added into smash is like one of the biggest forms of promotion u can get, hence y they release them alongside free demos around same time.

its all planned ahead by nintendo
By this logic there's no such thing as a non advertisement pick. Where's your proof that it's all planned by Nintendo? Because it seems more reasonable to me that the sales and demos are an afterthought and characters are added to smash for the criteria that Sakurai actually told us over the years and not to to sell other games.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Where's your proof that it's all planned by Nintendo? Because it seems more reasonable to me that the sales and demos are an afterthought
bro these are multi million dollar companies, literally everything is planned in advanced

I bet they finished the dlc characters before the game even came out

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So... Smash isn't even a game series... It is just a serial interactive advertisement?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
So... Smash isn't even a game series... It is just a serial interactive advertisement?
Nobody said it was "just" that... That's what makes debating on the Internet so exhausting. Every time you say something, there is someone to caricature what you said. If you say "there is a shade of Blue in this part of the picture", there will be someone to respond "THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, THE WHOLE PICTURE IS NOT ENTIRELY BLUE".

Sorry, but I'm reaching a point where I seriously think about leaving this website for good.

Now to answer you properly. Smash is clearly a great video game serie on its own. And that combined with its cross-over aspect is what gives it a very powerful advertisement function : any character included is directly compared to Mario, Link or Pikachu, to name a few, implicitely putting his games on the same level as theirs. How could it not be? With every newcomer, Sakurai talks a bit about the serie he comes from. And unless I missed something, nobody here said it was bad.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
bro these are multi million dollar companies, literally everything is planned in advanced

I bet they finished the dlc characters before the game even came out
Okay that comment just lost you all your credibility. How would they even have had time to make 12 extra newcomers when they had such a short development time and started with a roster of 76 characters and like 100 stages? It seems like you're just bitter. They're literally still paying Sakurai, for what? Is he just sitting around the office doing nothing and collecting paychecks for it while he waits for the right time to release a premade character? Surely he would have moved on to another game by now over two years later, or at least taken a vacation instead of stalling for the release of the characters.

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
if that was the case why would they wait so long to sell it?
they stagger the dlc releases for hype and PR, it’s basic marketing lol

Additional dlc being finished along with the game, and then added in later is actually a common practice in gaming today

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
they stagger the dlc releases for hype and PR, it’s basic marketing lol

Additional dlc being finished along with the game, and then added in later is actually a common practice in gaming today
so your of the opinion that sakurai has been sitting around doing nothing for the last two and a half year? where is your proof of this extraordinary claim? whats common practice from one game company isnt necessarily common practice for another.

also dont lol at another person

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
so your of the opinion that sakurai has been sitting around doing nothing for the last two and a half year? where is your proof of this extraordinary claim? whats common practice from one game company isnt necessarily common practice for another.

also dont lol at another person
tbh I dont even rly know what you're asking me lmao idk what Sakurai does in his free time

but I guarantee he has interests outside of smash, just like all of us

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
tbh I dont even rly know what you're asking me lmao idk what Sakurai does in his free time

but I guarantee he has interests outside of smash, just like all of us
do you always laugh at other people while you’re talking to them? Cause it’s kinda rude

you’re suggesting that the dlc characters were ready at launch and deliberately held back which would suggest you think they’re either not doing anything or working on some secret project. What in the world has what he does in his free time got to do with anything?

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
you’re suggesting that the dlc characters were ready at launch and deliberately held back which would suggest you think they’re either not doing anything or working on some secret project. What in the world has what he does in his free time got to do with anything?
genuinely dont understand ur point

they work on the game+dlc before releasing it, not after

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Nobody said it was "just" that... That's what makes debating on the Internet so exhausting. Every time you say something, there is someone to caricature what you said. If you say "there is a shade of Blue in this part of the picture", there will be someone to respond "THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, THE WHOLE PICTURE IS NOT ENTIRELY BLUE".

Sorry, but I'm reaching a point where I seriously think about leaving this website for good.

Now to answer you properly. Smash is clearly a great video game serie on its own. And that combined with its cross-over aspect is what gives it a very powerful advertisement function : any character included is directly compared to Mario, Link or Pikachu, to name a few, implicitely putting his games on the same level as theirs. How could it not be? With every newcomer, Sakurai talks a bit about the serie he comes from. And unless I missed something, nobody here said it was bad.
The implication to which I responded was that Smash serves first and foremost as an advertisement. I don't think I hyperbolized anything in my prior response.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If you can’t understand not laughing at people then that’s a problem

you have no proof of that
This. Laughing at people is extremely rude and condescending, especially when you have no evidence for the claim you're laughing at them over. I think it's time to just leave this discussion because it's getting toxic, and it really doesn't have anything to do with King Boo anyway.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So speaking of King Boo, in a hypothetical reveal trailer for him, do you think he'd have an old remix to serve as background music, or a new piece?
Hmmm....... I would hope it was based on Super Mario 64. That was a Mario course that genuinely haunted me.

Speaking of which- I really would hope a Boo stage would have the man eating piano.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Hmmm....... I would hope it was based on Super Mario 64. That was a Mario course that genuinely haunted me.

Speaking of which- I really would hope a Boo stage would have the man eating piano.
As cool as that would be, it's definitely going to be a Luigi's Mansion stage since King Boo wasn't in Super Mario 64.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
i always imagine a remix of Boolossus' Theme from Luigi's Mansion, Though Luigi's Mansion 3 should have music that are viable for a trailer.
Oh, that would be awesome! I really hope it's that and not just like the main theme of LM3. If they have to go with a main theme I'm all for the original though. That's such a classic.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As cool as that would be, it's definitely going to be a Luigi's Mansion stage since King Boo wasn't in Super Mario 64.
King Boo is a final boss of the level in Super Mario 64- you face off against him for a Star.
Maybe this was only the DS version, but that is enough.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
how about the boo battle theme from LM3? that catchy little number might suit a gameplay montage rather well
Yes please, it's essentially just a remix of the games main theme, but these daysvits the first song to pop into my head when thinking King Boo.......

King Boo needs better boss themes.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I will admit

I was worried King Boo was gonna get Mii'd like a Slime this time around

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
King Boo is a final boss of the level in Super Mario 64- you face off against him for a Star.
Maybe this was only the DS version, but that is enough.
Oh, is that actually supposed to be the same character? I was confused when I saw that in a video because I knew King Boo originated in Luigi's Mansion so I thought maybe it was something else. That makes sense now that it's new to the DS version. In that case a Mario 64 stage might have a chance! Still probably a LM3 stage though just because they're presumably holding back the spirit event for King Boo so it'll probably be a LM3 themed pack.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think if King Boo is coming with any "haunted house" stage, it's gonna be something based on the Last Resort.

Wonder what kinda cameos we could get with that...?

Top Bottom