• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Kind of dissapointed with the stages.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Don't get me wrong...there are some great levels here. However, there are too many returning stages and not enough new ones (less new stages in this game than there was in Brawl). Also, why bring back Kid Icarus, Star Fox, and Animal Crossing stages from Brawl when they all have new stages in Smash U that are similar? I know at least one new stage is on the way as DLC...but I really hope there will be more.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I agree 100%, but I'm really happy that Congo Jungle is back...and I'm just hoping we will get some new stages via DLC packs

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Also, why bring back Kid Icarus, Star Fox, and Animal Crossing stages from Brawl when they all have new stages in Smash U that are similar?
Well, Smashville is really the only one that's functionally similar to the new stage in this game, out of those you mentioned. Lylat Cruise and Orbital Gate are really different, one being a standard stationary stage and the other being a crazy rollercoaster ride on top of multiple spacecraft. Also, Skyworld is a smaller stage with breakable platforms, while Palutena's Temple is a gigantic stage with tons of space to work with. While they may be similar in aesthetics, they really are quite different in gameplay terms.

Except Smashville. I still don't get why that's here.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I thought this was a thread complaining about stage gimmicks (which are awful, but Omega Mode exists for a reason).

Anyways, the stage selection is better than in Smash 3DS, at least. Hopefully the "no DLC" thing is only PR talk and they release a few packs with one character + idk, two or three stages? in each pack. I am satisfied with the content in the game, but at least in terms of stage and music, the more the merrier.
Except Smashville. I still don't get why that's here.
It was the best Brawl stage and Animal Crossing is amazing. That is why it is back :)

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Foirst of all, two Smashvilles is awesome. And I don't even like Animal Crossing.
Second, half of the new stages went to 3DS. Add them together and how many do you get?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Foirst of all, two Smashvilles is awesome. And I don't even like Animal Crossing.
Second, half of the new stages went to 3DS. Add them together and how many do you get?
I love Smashville too, don't get me wrong, but that role has kind of been filled with Town & City. Just seems kind of odd to have basically a texture/model edit of an existing stage be on the roster in addition to said existing stage, but oh well. The game is out, and I don't think we'll see a "Removed Smashville" line in any of the update notes. :p

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The problem, and I won't ever get tired of saying it, is that they split the stages between two games. Hence, the 3DS version is to blame. There are A LOT of new stages, and a lot returning, the problem is that most players won't ever care about 34 of them anymore. The 3DS version truly is a ****ing hog chewing away stuff from the WiiU one (in b4 "the 3DS one was the original one is the WiiU version which came later!" stop with this bull**** honestly guys).

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
The problem, and I won't ever get tired of saying it, is that they split the stages between two games. Hence, the 3DS version is to blame. There are A LOT of new stages, and a lot returning, the problem is that most players won't ever care about 34 of them anymore. The 3DS version truly is a ****ing hog chewing away stuff from the WiiU one (in b4 "the 3DS one was the original one is the WiiU version which came later!" stop with this bull**** honestly guys).
All I can say is; Deal with it.

I'm sorry for going for the most blatant response, but, they can't change anything now. Both versions are ready for retail release. Neither one is truly undermining the other version's experience as they both run and play equally well.

Yes, it might've been nice to play Magicant or Prism Tower in HD, but it ain't happening. They still look great on the 3DS

Last edited:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
3DS is amazing. Portable Smash Bros. Nuff said. It did not take anything away from the Wii U. Like the person above me stated, they are both great and run fantastic

Utaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Its_a_me_Mario
3DS FC
2423-2518-7011
I am honestly fine with the stage in this version. They picked alot of good returning ones, and with the omega forms, now they are playable for tournaments! Since I normally play in FD, or Battlefield, least we can use them all now.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Honestly, I am fine with the stages so long as there is a good number of competitively viable stages.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
3DS is amazing. Portable Smash Bros. Nuff said. It did not take anything away from the Wii U. Like the person above me stated, they are both great and run fantastic
Except we know it did take stuff away from the Wii U, like the Ice Climbers and the stage count.

Some people might be willing to sacrifice those things for the sake of having Smash on two platforms, which is neat and all, but for those of us that do not really benefit from portability and stay grounded for the majority of our day it's a huge loss with nothing to gain from it. I'd rather they focused entirely on packing the console game with as much content as possible to make it as good as possible, this whole split thing they've been doing this time is quite frankly a terrible move imo. Of course it's a great move on their part as it means more money in their pockets.

As for the matter at hand, I'm frustrated they picked Pokémon Stadium II over the original and that Fountain of Dreams misses out once again, it'd have been glorious in HD. I'm also bummed that Kalos Pokémon League and Pyrosphere turned out to be ruined by terrible hazards, they looked great otherwise. Aside from that and the measly new stage count I'm fine.

Last edited:

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
I would have liked to see more new stages on the Wii U version, but the stages they brought back are all of the really good ones. Or at least the ones I enjoy, some I'm perfectly fine with it.

Although, I do wish Corneria was on the Wii U in exchange for another stage. But it's all good.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
My only complaint is that Magicant is a 3DS exclusive stage... well maybe not only complaint... but it's the one that matters most for me. All in all I'm actually quite surprised that I'm enjoying the new stages so much, I was expecting it to be like Brawl for me (I didn't like the new stages in that game very much...I still don't. ^^; ).

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
This is a title released during Smash's 15th anniversary, so it's only right they bring back a bit of returning stages.

My only gripe is that most of them come from Brawl.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
The only disappointing part for me is that F-Zero & Mother only have one stage. They should have made Magicant & Mute City a stage shared between the Wii U and 3DS versions or they could have brought back New Pork City & Big Blue.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Even with the 8 player mode I don't think I would've liked New Pork City... I much would've preferred Fourside if Magicant wasn't an option... though, I guess Fourside wouldn't be a solid option either what with the data being too old to use apparently.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
Magcant is my favorite stage among all 3ds and WiiU stages, and I've never even played a game from the series. I'm really upset that it's not on the WiiU

I would LOVE to have most of the 64 stages back. So many of them were perfect and nostalgic.

Smashville Brawl should have been cut. That with Town and City is too repetitive.

I never liked the stages with the moving platforms and several "pit stops". Upset that there are so many of them now.

Despite my complaints, there are some stages that are FANTASTIC in my mind. I'm in love with Orbital Gate Assault, Kalos Pokemon League, and Great Cave Offensive.

If they could do some (free...?) dlc to slowly add more and more old stages, such as New Pork City, Great Bay, Poke Floats, Pirate Ships, etc, that would be AMAZING.

Vash_VisionZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vash_VisionZ
3DS FC
4596-9838-7829
My only gripe (and it is tiny), is that that Sonic doesn't at least get a second stage. After all, he is the first official third party veteran. Other than that, I love the stage selection. Some standouts are Kalos PKMN League, Jungle Hijinx, and Wuhu Island

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
A couple of things

1 theres still a fancy number of stages despite more returning than new

2 they are all fantasic

And 3 if mewtwo succeeds of showing sakurai dlc will help smash i can assure you guys more stages will come

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
Well, let's break it down.
New stages I love:
- Mushroom Kingdom U
- Mario Circuit
- Jungle Hijinxs
- Skyloft
- Orbital Gate
- Coliseum
- Town & City
- Pilot Wings
- Wrecking Crew
- Wuhu Island
- Duck Hunt

Eleven. I'm pretty picky and am annoyed easily by walk-offs and obtrusive stage hazards, so that's less than half of the new stages. Plus a handful - Windy Hill, and Kalos for example - that I need some more time to judge but are, at worst, just okay. Still, I'll hold off calling any of them a win for now. I also won't count the 8-player focused ones like Big Battlefield, Skyworld or Great Cave Offensive, which are very fun but only with bigger groups.

On top of that there are many great returning stages - Luigi's Mansion, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Halberd, Temple, Onett, Bridge of Eldin, Smashville, and Kongo Jungle add up to nine.

FD + Battlefield = two. Fountain of Dreams is still missing :(. 3DS got the better Yoshi's Island. The superior Pokemon Stadium has been left behind for good. There are some great stages from each of the other Smash games that aren't here. So, ignoring the stage editor and all the stages that are maybe-good or even just 8-player oriented... ultimately, that leaves twenty-two legitimately great stages here. That's less than half of the full list, and it leaves several series without great representation.

...But I would argue that twenty-two reliably great stages is a total victory. In the end, despite whatever disappointments or missed opportunities exist, all that really matters is that overall number. The four previous games (counting the 3DS version) failed to even come close to reaching the bar set here. Honestly, it's more than I was expecting, and I'm totally satisfied.

Just my opinion. YMMV. I understand that others may have a different takeaway, and hey, let's still be friends. The only thing that's objectively bigger and better here than any other Smash game is the music. Good lord, the music...

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
FYI, if the 3DS version wasn't a thing, we would likely have gotten the exact the same amount of stages, maybe stuff like Magicant would be on the Wii U, but other stages like Unova Pokémon League, Mute City, the portable games-related stages, etc? Nah, doubtful. Nintendo would have just saved the resources. You can complain and cry about the 3DS version's existence all you want, but not much would have changed if it didn't exist.

R0Y

Smash Master
Smash Wii U has fewer new stages than Brawl did 27 instead of 29....unbelievable, and remember than 1 of those is Big Battlefield, which is literally a copy and paste. The returning stage counts cake up the numbers to 5 more than Brawl but yeah, can point to the 3DS version for why the stages worked out like this. 3DS got even fewer as could be expected from its lower price.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
We got a lot of returning "legal" stages, which will undoubtedly make some people happy. I'm pretty fine with the stage selection, honestly. For all levels of play, there are good choices.

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
It could be worse, I'm really happy about having a pokemon stadium that doesn't transform, and smashville back and I'm sure the ones that are on the 3ds if anything would be the first to make it to dlc

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I like most of the stages except sky world (why!!!! -___-)

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Egg planet is a terrible stage, it's a slightly curved wall off with no interesting gimmicks to it , and why are those 2 platforms there?

I don't seem to like any of the new neutral stages , they all seem to transition abruptly, I see these getting banned in the future

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Plus, shouldn't the Omega versions of stages double the stage count? Minus Final Destination obviously, though I'm not sure if Big Battlefield has a bigger Omega version than regular.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Plus, shouldn't the Omega versions of stages double the stage count? Minus Final Destination obviously, though I'm not sure if Big Battlefield has a bigger Omega version than regular.
Why would that double the stage count? That's like saying there are actually 400 characters in smash 4 because of the pallet swaps

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm more upset at how many stages are disabled for 6 player and 8 player smash. Every 4 player stage would work fine as a 5 player stage at least.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
I'm more upset at how many stages are disabled for 6 player and 8 player smash. Every 4 player stage would work fine as a 5 player stage at least.
Zoom in and play around with the camera a bit when paused, the game struggles in the 45 fps range very often even with just two characters on screen close-up. There is likely some kind of LOD adjustment for when the camera is zoomed out to combat this during normal play, but if all characters are close together on some of the smaller maps, the camera would zoom in and cause the LOD issues. I am very willing to bet frame rates would be unsatisfactory on some of the disabled stages. I've had FD cause dropped frames during play, that stages background and the bloom it casts on the stage and characters are heavy hitters. We all wanted a pretty Smash, this is the consequence! :p

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
Thank goodness for For Glory. Seriously, more than half of the stages are ridiculous huge. If your playing For Fun, you'll be fighting one side of the stage, then an item appears on the other side and the camera zooms all the way out.

Top Bottom