• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing with P:M Diddy

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Well, this brings me back to Brawl Peach.

I'm very good with Diddy in P:M. He's my best character at the moment and I'm calling him my main. However, I am consistently struggling to kill with him. I always use banana setups in Brawl to kill, but good players tech roll out of the banana setups in P:M. I can't find any good setups in to kill moves- there's no good setup to dsmash, and fsmash can be SDI'd and is risky and slow if missed.

Any tips? I rack up damage fast, and camp well, but people who tech consistently live to 160%+.

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
Diddy is a gimp master. GO DEEP SON!

I'm not as experienced as some players here, but here's my 2c.

Diddy really can afford to go deep. His sideB upB recovery is ridiculously good. This, along with great gimp moves means going deep is easy. Or gimp with bananas and peanuts, both work.

f-Tilt is a kill move. UThrow will kill too

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Fair is a really good kill move. Easy to confirm off of a side-b, as well as a nair or d-throw(if they DI in) or even a trip or tech chase. If your opponents start to consistantly tech out of banana set ups, you can still just chase them down and hit them during the tech roll.
F-smash can be succeptable to SDI, but it reaches quite far so try spacing it form a bit further and only the strong late hits hit them.
Tech chase>downsmash is always a good option when they tech a banana or just a stray hit.
As tilde said, f-tilt has good range and knockback for what it is and also can set up for edge guards.
IF you get a side-b and cant get a fair, try going for an up-b. its a good kill move at higher percents and can lead to good edgeguards.

A lot of diddy's kills will come from fair hit confirms, smash attacks off of banana set ups, and gimps with projectiles and bair.

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
Side-b to Fair, Dair to Fair, Nair to Fair, up-throw, back throw (terrible DI), GT nanna on shield to F/Dsmash, Peanut and Nanna gimps, Side-b jump meteor. Honestly I really like Nanna down b toss to Up-b on their recoveries, either you can aim for the spike on predictable recoveries or hopefully hit them to far into the blastzones on either side. Killing with Diddy doesnt ever seem to hard unless I can't get a solid hit in. Maybe try running attack offstage into Dair/Fair idk.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
A lot of diddy's kills will come from fair hit confirms, smash attacks off of banana set ups, and gimps with projectiles and bair.
Maybe this is a Melee term I'm unfamiliar with, but what do you mean by "fair hit confirms"?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Hit confirms is just a fighting term, where you take a stray hit/poke/pressure option and confirm the conversion into a combo or strong attack. I pretty much mean ending combos with fair, and in particular short, 2-3 hit combos, like nair>nair>fair off of a tech chase and the like.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Got it.

I've actually started using dash attack more. I'm not sure how easily this can be SDI'd but it seems a remarkably effective way to take people offstage once you can condition them with bananas and peanuts in to taking the hit.

Also, wavelanding shorthopped peanuts out of a dash seems a very effective approach, especially when there is a banana between you.

Spice

Smash Cadet
Hey, brand new member here.

I have been recently introduced to P:M and my favorite/best character is looking to be Diddy Kong. From what I've gathered, Diddy's easiest kill method is his meteor attack. He has 3 different ones too, which is pretty decent. His Side-B is good off stage, you can throw someone done and then use a jump + Up-B to recover. I've also found that D-Air followed by a quick Up-B can give a good double meteor combo that is extremely difficult for almost any character to recover from. The timing on that is something that may take you awhile, I've been working on it.

Overall though, his meteor attacks are what seems to work best for me for kills, it's what I would recommend.

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
Also, wavelanding shorthopped peanuts out of a dash seems a very effective approach, especially when there is a banana between you.
I actually do this a lot against people that can't out-camp me with projectiles. A banana in hand, one on the ground, and then make it rain...peanuts. I'm trying to get better at glide tossing out of the waveland, but for some reason I'm just wildly inconsistent at glide tossing in general.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I actually do this a lot against people that can't out-camp me with projectiles. A banana in hand, one on the ground, and then make it rain...peanuts. I'm trying to get better at glide tossing out of the waveland, but for some reason I'm just wildly inconsistent at glide tossing in general.
You weird Melee players.

Hughie

Smash Lad
I think that when you grab a mid-weight character and around 50-60%, side-b grab down>up-tilt (once or twice depending on %) to fair works quite well. But they can just DI back into the stage which you can just bair them and stuff.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I think that when you grab a mid-weight character and around 50-60%, side-b grab down>up-tilt (once or twice depending on %) to fair works quite well. But they can just DI back into the stage which you can just bair them and stuff.
I have no idea what you just said. Grab them, then side B, then grab and dthrow?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I think he meant getting a side-b on mid/heavy weights, you can do the side-b slap, fast fall, uptilt fair. I think 50% is a bit to high for that to work on non-fast fallers but I do that same juggle a lot and it does work well if you read the DI for it.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
This is a thread? Diddy has some of the best kill options in the game. Go for f-airs if you can't land anything else.

Last edited:

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Diddys fair has a reasonable amount of cool down, even canceled its still not safe. Nor is it the easiest thing to hit with from a raw short hop on a standing opponent.

But really tho, if you're having issues killing with diddy, you're not working hard enough. Its not LOL BANANA DSMASH anymore

Top Bottom