• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kid Icarus rep. necessary?

Should Kid Icarus have more representative in Smash?

• Yes!

Votes: 69 49.6%
  • No, not really...

Votes: 53 38.1%
  • Could care less.

Votes: 17 12.2%

• Total voters

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I agree that a character's relevancy is a stupid excuse to not include them. If we included characters based only on modern relevancy, then we wouldn't have characters like Ice Climbers, Pit (in Brawl), Marth (in Melee) and G&W.

However, what I meant was that as of right now - those who DO say that Palutena shouldn't be in because she isn't "relevant" are utterly wrong.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I agree that a character's relevancy is a stupid excuse to not include them. If we included characters based only on modern relevancy, then we wouldn't have characters like Ice Climbers, Pit (in Brawl), Marth (in Melee) and G&W.

However, what I meant was that as of right now - those who DO say that Palutena shouldn't be in because she isn't "relevant" are utterly wrong.
I don't see why anyone would say that, frankly. Fact is, Palutena is the only character other than Pit to appear in all three games. The complaint isn't that she isn't relevant, but that the series is so small in size. And if Palutena got in over K. Rool I would be peeved.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why anyone would say that, frankly. Fact is, Palutena is the only character other than Pit to appear in all three games. The complaint isn't that she isn't relevant, but that the series is so small in size. And if Palutena got in over K. Rool I would be peeved.
I can definitely understand being upset about that if you like K. Rool. I don't care about him at all, personally, so it doesn't bother me - but I understand the sentiment. I definitely don't think KI should get three, but I highly doubt it will anyway. Two representatives feels fine to me for a series with three games, the latest of which took off like a bullet. I do think Donkey Kong is plenty deserving of three reps, but I wouldn't care if it doesn't get it since I simply don't care about the series on a personal level ;P

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
The biggest problem is the most gamers don't think that Kid Icarus is a big franchise maybe because of the media. Even if it's not a big franchise, Kid Icarus deserve a chance to be it. Kid Icarus has pioneering approaches to be one of the most popular franchises in the world. Just because it had not yet been sold like DK it doesn't say that Kid Icarus couldn't do that too. The '' old '' generation think maybe: '' DK is better than Kid Icarus, Zelda is better than Kid Icarus '' and so on... but if Nintendo would develope one new Kid Icarus after another, maybe Kid Icarus could be better than the most franchises. Kid Icarus could have a very good feature. But for a good feature Kid Icarus needs more support and the term of franchise deserve it really. The prejudices should be out of the way. I think the prejudices are the only one problems.

Another fact is, nobody now if Kid Icarus will get a new game again. Supporters don't want to wait 25 years... maybe they will never get a new game again because Sakurai was the only one who revived Kid Icarus. The other developers develope Mario, Zelda and so on. It would be very unfair if Kid Icarus wouldn't get a second newcomer.

Edit: Please don't get me wrong but supporters with popularity should be glad to get new games regularly. ^^ Its not bad if the franchises ( DK, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon.... ) wouldn't get more rep in Smash bros. =I

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Kid Icarus Uprising was an awesome game and pretty much all characters from that game were likeable and memorable, especially Palutena, so yes!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Palutena's inclusion was deserving I believe, considering that Uprising is one of the most popular 3DS titles and Palutena is most important character after Pit. Plus, she was a highly requested character for this game. As for a third KI playable character, I don't see it happening honestly at this point.

Last edited:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
I believe there are a lot prejudices about Darkpit [ Same character, same weapon, same final smash, same... same... same... ).The supporters of Smash Bros complained about Toon-Link ( because he is a clone ) and now the most gamer prefer Toon-Link. I see hardly gamer who use Link. What does this tell us? ^^

I think every gamer who is against Darkpit should play Kid Icarus Uprising and they should give him a chance. If you are honest Darkpit deserves more to be in than Toon-Link because he is much more versatile. Plus some franchises have more than two characters. Kid Icarus is an icon. Its a shame if they wouldn't be 3 characters at least.

R0Y

Smash Master
I love Uprising but two is enough for this relatively niche franchise.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If there is one thing that the Kid Icarus Uprising series is missing, it is an antagonist. Someone to be an embodiment of the threats that both Pit and Palutena face.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Late reply on my end, but I have played Uprising back and forth, but I just ain't fond of Dark Pit at all. He's pretty much a different-colored Pit with a different attitude. He could use all of Pit's weapons baring the 3ST and GST game-wise, and I just don't like it.

Sure he can use different weapons, but is it really worth it? That's already Pit's unique trait of the Kid Icarus recognition, and just giving Dark Pit different weapons and a few more kicking attacks wouldn't be enough for me. Besides, his inclusion would take so much attention from Pit, just like his black Pit costume from Brawl did compared to his regular costume, though that's irrelevant. Maybe I just hate dark versions of characters being included because of a typical "Regular < Dark version" stereotype that I see often. Now as for Toon Link, I do wish he would change more, yes, but what can you do?

Like I said, Kid Icarus Uprising may be great, but we were lucky to even get Palutena, and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I don't get why people think Palutena wasn't deserving. She was one of the most highly requested smash characters in the US and Japan. Is that not enough to justify her inclusion?

Last edited:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Late reply on my end, but I have played Uprising back and forth, but I just ain't fond of Dark Pit at all. He's pretty much a different-colored Pit with a different attitude. He could use all of Pit's weapons baring the 3ST and GST game-wise, and I just don't like it.

Sure he can use different weapons, but is it really worth it? That's already Pit's unique trait of the Kid Icarus recognition, and just giving Dark Pit different weapons and a few more kicking attacks wouldn't be enough for me. Besides, his inclusion would take so much attention from Pit, just like his black Pit costume from Brawl did compared to his regular costume, though that's irrelevant. Maybe I just hate dark versions of characters being included because of a typical "Regular < Dark version" stereotype that I see often. Now as for Toon Link, I do wish he would change more, yes, but what can you do?

Like I said, Kid Icarus Uprising may be great, but we were lucky to even get Palutena, and that's good enough for me.

I think Darkpit should have different weapons AND powers. Because:

1. This would rounded the Kid Icarus franchise / characters in SSB4 together. ( Pit has weapons, Palutenas powers without her staff and Darkpit would have some weapons AND powers )
2. Pit will not be unique if Darkpit would have the same weapons like Pit.
3. Darkpit could have an interesting moveset too. For example '' Random Effect '' could be a very interesting power. Especially the gamers are almost equally well.
4. Who says Darkpit should have a weapon / power from Uprising? He could create new one. Okay I know it will not happen, but the opportunities are almost unlimited. It would be a surprise, that is what Kid Icarus makes. ^^
5. It would be epic if Darkpit and Pit are fight against each other or together with different weapons and different opportunities.
I don't believe its more exciting if they would have the same moveset than a different moveset. ^^
6. Darkpit with Three Sacred Treasures? Really???? ( As final smash )

I believe there are enough points why Darkpit should be in as a >unique< character. Darkpit wouldn't be like Link and shadow-, dark- or Toon-Link. Its okay if Hades or Medusa would be in instead of Darkpit. But I don't believe that will happen. Darkpits chance is higher because of the trailer plus he was already in Smash Bros Brawl. Moreover in the E3 Demo he wasn't playable. Okay Medusa is more important than Hades or Darkpit but Medusa was final defeated by Hades. Hades asked if he has another 25 years for a sequel in the secret message. That is why Hades could have less chance to be in too like Medusa. But this is just my opinion. ^^

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I think Darkpit should have different weapons AND powers. Because:

1. This would rounded the Kid Icarus franchise / characters in SSB4 together. ( Pit has weapons, Palutenas powers without her staff and Darkpit would have some weapons AND powers )
2. Pit will not be unique if Darkpit would have the same weapons like Pit.
3. Darkpit could have an interesting moveset too. For example '' Random Effect '' could be a very interesting power. Especially the gamers are almost equally well.
4. Who says Darkpit should have a weapon / power from Uprising? He could create new one. Okay I know it will not happen, but the opportunities are almost unlimited. It would be a surprise, that is what Kid Icarus makes. ^^
5. It would be epic if Darkpit and Pit are fight against each other or together with different weapons and different opportunities.
I don't believe its more exciting if they would have the same moveset than a different moveset. ^^
6. Darkpit with Three Sacred Treasures? Really???? ( As final smash )

I believe there are enough points why Darkpit should be in. Its okay if Hades or Medusa would be in instead of Darkpit. But I don't believe that will happen. Darkpits chance is higher because of the trailer plus he was already in Smash Bros Brawl. Moreover in the E3 Demo he wasn't playable. Okay Medusa is more important than Hades or Darkpit but Medusa was final defeated by Hades. Hades asked if he has another 25 years for a sequel in the secret message. That is why Hades could have less chance to be in too like Medusa. But this is just my opinion. ^^
1: Pit's weapons and Palutena's powers are both unique. There is nothing else besides different weapons.
2: I'm aware, but that'd take away Pit's unique weapon gimmick for the Kid Icarus franchise.
3: They're Palutena's Powers. If Pit couldn't use one in his moveset, I don't see how Pittoo; the one who doesn't sue Powers as much as Pit does, could have one.
4: Not gonna happen, that's putting it lightly.
5: There's always a chance he may be the Palutena's Temple boss, but even that isn't completely likely just yet.
6: I wouldn't count on it unless he was Pit's black Pit alt costume.

I'm sorry, but Pit and Palutena should be enough. The only tease for that trailer is potentially showing off a slightly larger role, which will likely be the alt Pit costume or Assist Trophy I've been talking about. And technically he wasn't in Brawl. The Black Pit costume was merely just a popular color choice for Pit users (then again, what dark costume isn't common?), thus was the reason behind Dark Pit being created in Uprising. Hades and Medusa are impossible character choices, so I'm not gonna talk about it.

Point is he's just not gonna be a standalone character like Pit, and his chances are towards being an Assist Trophy or boss of Palutena's Temple (which wouldn't seem fair to the 3ds version). I'd actually be impressed if he was standalone. I'm sorry if I seem a bit mean and I understand you want him playable, but I just don't like the idea of him being a character (unless he's one of Pit's alt colors). It's bad enough we got the Miis, let alone 3 different kinds, but I'm just mad about roster talk these days, so that's why I can't wait to see this end for good.

Last edited:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Its okay and I think everybody have another opinion. I agree with you with Miis... But the worst is with the Zelda franchise: An original Link, Toon-Link, Toon-Link in the stage of Spirit Tracks, Darklink and even maybe Shadowlink ( like in Brawl in the mission. ).

I don't like the Miis too but I prefer the Miis instead of so much Links o.o.

But if Darkpit will not be a seperate character, I think he will be an alternative costume. Sakurai knows the supporters would be disappointed if Darkpit will not be playable. I believe Kid Icarus will have only 2 characters.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The series is small, but in terms of quality it is better than a few other franchises which have plenty of reps in Smash Bros, like Star Fox for example.

So yes, a second Kid Icarus rep was 100% necessary. K. Rool potentially not being in the game doesn't change that one bit.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
I believe there are a lot prejudices about Darkpit [ Same character, same weapon, same final smash, same... same... same... ).The supporters of Smash Bros complained about Toon-Link ( because he is a clone ) and now the most gamer prefer Toon-Link. I see hardly gamer who use Link. What does this tell us? ^^

I think every gamer who is against Darkpit should play Kid Icarus Uprising and they should give him a chance. If you are honest Darkpit deserves more to be in than Toon-Link because he is much more versatile. Plus some franchises have more than two characters. Kid Icarus is an icon. Its a shame if they wouldn't be 3 characters at least.
I've played KI:U and...I really like Dark Pit as a character but there are many other characters that deserve to be in to represent KI then a clone. Link and Toon Link at least look different...I'd much rather have Hades or Medusa. I'd enjoy Magnus but he's sadly just an AT :(

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Palutena's inclusion was deserving I believe, considering that Uprising is one of the most popular 3DS titles and Palutena is most important character after Pit. Plus, she was a highly requested character for this game. As for a third KI playable character, I don't see it happening honestly at this point.
In a way, she's just as important as Pit, because without her, he couldn't fly! An angel that can't fly is pretty useless if he needs to travel through space...

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
I've played KI:U and...I really like Dark Pit as a character but there are many other characters that deserve to be in to represent KI then a clone. Link and Toon Link at least look different...I'd much rather have Hades or Medusa. I'd enjoy Magnus but he's sadly just an AT :(

Its okay. ^^ And I think every have another opinion. But I think Kid Icarus franchise should have a third rep. ^^ Medusa or Hades would be nice too, but I believe Darkpits chance is the highest in SSB4.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm already happy that Palutena is a playable character (after all, she was one of my most wanted newcomer characters on my list.)

Do I expect another playable character from the Kid Icarus franchise? Who knows?

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Its okay. ^^ And I think every have another opinion. But I think Kid Icarus franchise should have a third rep. ^^ Medusa or Hades would be nice too, but I believe Darkpits chance is the highest in SSB4.
Yeah, he is pretty popular, but I think he'll probably just be an AT or alt costume or maybe stage hazard.

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
Yes, a lot of people really enjoyed the new KI game, and for the older fans out there, I'm sure they would be ecstatic because I remember my science teacher overjoyed that Pit was even in Brawl.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Late to the party here, but I shall stand up for m'lady nonetheless!

A wholehearted "yes!" from me, of course. Pit is my favourite Nintendo protagonist (though Chrom gives him a fighting challenge for that coveted spot!) and ever since the game's reveal, Palutena has been my most desired newcomer. The fact of the matter is that, aside from Wingsbro himself, no other character quite represents the series quite like Pretty Palutena does. She is the deuteragonist of Uprising, not to mention the fact that her name is in the title of Japanese entries in the series (Light Myth: Mirror of Palutena). Regardless of how fond you may or may not be of the series and its cast of characters, it's an important game in Nintendo's recent canon, taking a classic hero and re-imagining he and his world and contributing to a wealth of already stellar titles in the 3DS's library.

What's more is the fact that Uprising took a character that was otherwise a cipher of a textbook damsel in distress and gave her a personality. Palutena is a gleeful deconstructed parody of the "Big Good" archetype: a flamboyant, sardonic deity who's just as likely to cast our hero into the jaws of death as she is to come to his aid when the going gets tough - yet, all in all, a solid and endearing figure that represents not just the potential of the Kid Icarus mythos, but also of Sakurai and the Nintendo Treehouse gang's narrative talents. Honestly, it would honestly be a shocking and perplexing move on Sakurai's part if Palutena hadn't appeared as a newcomer, as far as I'm concerned.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Late to the party here, but I shall stand up for m'lady nonetheless!

A wholehearted "yes!" from me, of course. Pit is my favourite Nintendo protagonist (though Chrom gives him a fighting challenge for that coveted spot!) and ever since the game's reveal, Palutena has been my most desired newcomer. The fact of the matter is that, aside from Wingsbro himself, no other character quite represents the series quite like Pretty Palutena does. She is the deuteragonist of Uprising, not to mention the fact that her name is in the title of Japanese entries in the series (Light Myth: Mirror of Palutena). Regardless of how fond you may or may not be of the series and its cast of characters, it's an important game in Nintendo's recent canon, taking a classic hero and re-imagining he and his world and contributing to a wealth of already stellar titles in the 3DS's library.

What's more is the fact that Uprising took a character that was otherwise a cipher of a textbook damsel in distress and gave her a personality. Palutena is a gleeful deconstructed parody of the "Big Good" archetype: a flamboyant, sardonic deity who's just as likely to cast our hero into the jaws of death as she is to come to his aid when the going gets tough - yet, all in all, a solid and endearing figure that represents not just the potential of the Kid Icarus mythos, but also of Sakurai and the Nintendo Treehouse gang's narrative talents. Honestly, it would honestly be a shocking and perplexing move on Sakurai's part if Palutena hadn't appeared as a newcomer, as far as I'm concerned.

Okay. Do you want a third character for the Kid Icarus franchises at all? It looks like Pit and Palutena are enough for you. ^^

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Okay. Do you want a third character for the Kid Icarus franchises at all? It looks like Pit and Palutena are enough for you. ^^
Quite frankly, I'm content with that. I can really take or leave Dark Pit: he doesn't take up any potential slot and I'm not particularly interested in playing him, so he's a neutral addition to me. As for the others - well, here's how I feel about each character individually.

* Medusa - Could be interesting. More villains reps are always good, though I feel as though she'd be all in all intrinsically similar to Palutena. I also feel like Hades (beautifully) overshadows her in Uprising's story

* Hades - Among the more deserving reps, in my opinion: he's got a lot of potential to be a solid villain rep with a unique and powerful heavyweight style. Still, I'm just as content for him to appear as a stage hazard / boss

* Viridi - We don't actually see her fight in the game, but I'd be lying I said I'm not intrigued to see how she'd show herself and her moves off. Definitely a strong contender, though as with Hades, I'd be just as content for her to have a more antagonistic and non-playable role

* Magnus - I never quite understood this one. He's a great character, to be sure, but the point of his character is that he's an ordinary human warrior: he has no special powers or skills, he just hits things with sword and throws the occasional roundhouse in there for good measure. Possibly with some move buffs and new abilities, yes - but he just epitomises the concept of an Assist Trophy, in my opinion, ad contributes very little to the actual roster

* Phosphora / Arlon / Thanatos / Pandora, et al. - Solid characters, but popularity aside, they only have brief roles in the story and have no distinct reasons for taking priority in the roster over other, more important characters. I'd say we'd be best off sticking to the main cast

At the end of the day, though, I don't think we need any more reps. At least not in this generation. Pit and Palutena are fine as they are, and I'll accept Dark Pit as a freebie fighter, but any more than that and I feel we're just diluting the cast for the sake of numbers. I'd rather have a small amount of great fighters and strong representatives than a whole cast of generic, uninspired fanservice fellows.

Last edited:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Quite frankly, I'm content with that. I can really take or leave Dark Pit: he doesn't take up any potential slot and I'm not particularly interested in playing him, so he's a neutral addition to me. As for the others - well, here's how I feel about each character individually.

* Medusa - Could be interesting. More villains reps are always good, though I feel as though she'd be all in all intrinsically similar to Palutena. I also feel like Hades (beautifully) overshadows her in Uprising's story

* Hades - Among the more deserving reps, in my opinion: he's got a lot of potential to be a solid villain rep with a unique and powerful heavyweight style. Still, I'm just as content for him to appear as a stage hazard / boss

* Viridi - We don't actually see her fight in the game, but I'd be lying I said I'm not intrigued to see how she'd show herself and her moves off. Definitely a strong contender, though as with Hades, I'd be just as content for her to have a more antagonistic and non-playable role

* Magnus - I never quite understood this one. He's a great character, to be sure, but the point of his character is that he's an ordinary human warrior: he has no special powers or skills, he just hits things with sword and throws the occasional roundhouse in there for good measure. Possibly with some move buffs and new abilities, yes - but he just epitomises the concept of an Assist Trophy, in my opinion, ad contributes very little to the actual roster

* Phosphora / Arlon / Thanatos / Pandora, et al. - Solid characters, but popularity aside, they only have brief roles in the story and have no distinct reasons for taking priority in the roster over other, more important characters. I'd say we'd be best off sticking to the main cast

At the end of the day, though, I don't think we need any more reps. At least not in this generation. Pit and Palutena are fine as they are, and I'll accept Dark Pit as a freebie fighter, but any more than that and I feel we're just diluting the cast for the sake of numbers. I'd rather have a small amount of great fighters and strong representatives than a whole cast of generic, uninspired fanservice fellows.

Oh okay. I prefer Darkpit but other characters would be nice too. ^^ If Darkpit will not have a unique moveset, Kid Icarus should have another character with an unique moveset. For example characters that you have already suggested. ^^ But okay.... Kid Icarus is a versatile franchise. It isn't a surprise that many supporters have different character wishes. ^^

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Pit was a fine Retro pick. The Goddess of Light is a great newcomer. But for Kid Icarus to get as many reps as it has games in its franchise is utterly absurd and if is ridiculous to base how many reps the series SHOULD have on what the franchise FUTURE MAY hold. The bias is so real. If they where going to make a clone, I would have been less upset about having Dixie being a Diddy clone than I am Pit getting his brother with an attitude included in the game. There are over 20 Kirby games in the franchise since like what, 1990? There are 3 Kid Icarus games since the NES days. How does Kid Icarus deserve as much representation as Kirby? Or more than Donkey Kong? Because of a future that it MAY or MAY NOT be a successful franchise?

Every franchise represented as a character in Smash Brothers has been popular with out the help of Smash with the ONLY exception being the retro pick. Fire Emblem was HUGE in Japan before Melee. I honestly believe even with out Melee the series would of been a success in America because everything like it was successful, too. (FF Tactics, Diseaga) But fine, if you want that example, you can still have it. Doesn't discredit the fact Kid Icarus was dead and just recently came back.

I like Kid Icarus. I remember playing Kid Icarus: Of Myth and Monsters way back when and hoping they would make a sequel but then GBA came out, then DS, and then finally 3DS came out and It was a fun game. Yeah, I origanly found it sketchy that Palutena made it in but she's fine. TWo characters is fine, ignoring the Metriod series. But three? Now I'm supposed to ignore Metroid AND Donkey Kong?

Short answer: Kid Icarus didn't deserve a second rep but Palutena is a good choice and I'm generally happy she is in. Dark Pit, if really a character, will be 1 of 2 painful eye soars I have to endure looking at Smashes CSS screen.

I hope Sakurai makes another F-Zero games so that when Smash 6 comes around Captain Falcon has 4 newcomers...

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Pit was a fine Retro pick. The Goddess of Light is a great newcomer. But for Kid Icarus to get as many reps as it has games in its franchise is utterly absurd and if is ridiculous to base how many reps the series SHOULD have on what the franchise FUTURE MAY hold. The bias is so real. If they where going to make a clone, I would have been less upset about having Dixie being a Diddy clone than I am Pit getting his brother with an attitude included in the game. There are over 20 Kirby games in the franchise since like what, 1990? There are 3 Kid Icarus games since the NES days. How does Kid Icarus deserve as much representation as Kirby? Or more than Donkey Kong? Because of a future that it MAY or MAY NOT be a successful franchise?

Every franchise represented as a character in Smash Brothers has been popular with out the help of Smash with the ONLY exception being the retro pick. Fire Emblem was HUGE in Japan before Melee. I honestly believe even with out Melee the series would of been a success in America because everything like it was successful, too. (FF Tactics, Diseaga) But fine, if you want that example, you can still have it. Doesn't discredit the fact Kid Icarus was dead and just recently came back.

I like Kid Icarus. I remember playing Kid Icarus: Of Myth and Monsters way back when and hoping they would make a sequel but then GBA came out, then DS, and then finally 3DS came out and It was a fun game. Yeah, I origanly found it sketchy that Palutena made it in but she's fine. TWo characters is fine, ignoring the Metriod series. But three? Now I'm supposed to ignore Metroid AND Donkey Kong?

Short answer: Kid Icarus didn't deserve a second rep but Palutena is a good choice and I'm generally happy she is in. Dark Pit, if really a character, will be 1 of 2 painful eye soars I have to endure looking at Smashes CSS screen.

I hope Sakurai makes another F-Zero games so that when Smash 6 comes around Captain Falcon has 4 newcomers...

You overlook many facts. Kid Icarus supporters are on a stand who don't know whats about Kid Icarus after Sakurai. After Kid Icarus Uprising release Sakurai said he will not make a sequel. And now? The most developers are busy with The Legend of Zelda and Mario ( PLUS remakes ). You should allow for the real ressources of Nintendo. Only in these two franchises, Nintendo invested really great ressources.

The next point is, some franchises like Donkey Kong or Metroid have the same protection for the future like Mario or Zelda. There are enough Nintendo supporters ( especially in Germany ) who aren't interested in Kid Icarus or don't know about this franchise. There are even assertions that Kid Icarus sold bad if you compare to other franchises ( in germany websides at least. ) It feels that I'm the only one in Germany who is a big supporter of Kid Icarus ( its just the feeling. ) If you ask in germany: '' Who is Link, who is Donkey Kong, who is Samus, who is Kirby? You get the right answer. But if you ask who is Pit or what is Kid Icarus, the gamers shrug with their shoulders. If you are lucky you get the answer: '' Pit is an angel from >>>Smash bros.<<< '' Thats it but Pit is as you know from Kid Icarus. I don't know whats about Kid Icarus in other countries, but in germany is Kid Icarus hardly known.

Without Sakurai Kid Icarus has an endangered future. But Sakurai will not make a sequel as you know. That means Sakurai should more represented Kid Icarus on Super Smash Bros. There are gamers who tried Kid Icarus Uprising but they didn't continue to play it because the control. ( Although I have to say the control is very great. ) If Sakurai don't help Kid Icarus who then? Super Smash Bros could support the Kid Icarus Uprising game very great. Many gamers still think Kid Icarus is a '' little '' franchise. Kid Icarus supporters like me want to finish this. But the reason is MAYBE justified. Kid Icarus hasn't a endangered future. You can be sure EVERY gamer say:

Super Mario is a great franchise ✓
The Legend of Zelda is a great franchise ✓
Donkey Kong is a great franchise ✓
Metroid is a great franchise ✓
Even Sonic the Hedgehog who isn't from Nintendo is a great franchise on Nintendo consoles ✓

But not every gamer say Kid Icarus is a great franchise with a great future. It was observed that some users tried to open threads against Pit / Kid Icarus in this community. In my opinion is that very sad.

You can see it on some threads ( comments ) in this community if they aren't deleted right up to all over the world. ( Maybe except in Japan. )

Don't get me wrong but I think Kid Icarus should be more represented so that more gamers buy Kid Icarus Uprising and Nintendo considers to develop a new Kid Icarus. We don't know if we get a Kid Icarus in... 23 years or not.

Last edited:

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Game on, bro.

You overlook many facts. Kid Icarus supporters are on a stand who don't know whats about Kid Icarus after Sakurai. After Kid Icarus Uprising release Sakurai said he will not make a sequel. And now? The most developers are busy with The Legend of Zelda and Mario ( PLUS remakes ). You should allow for the real ressources of Nintendo. Only in these two franchises, Nintendo invested really great ressources.
First, it is really hard to discern what you mean. I will excuse the deficiencies in your English as being a consequences of knowing the language second to German. So I apologize if I misunderstand your points.

I may not agree that Kid Icarus has Pit and Paluntena as reps, but I can tolerate it, even sympathize with it. I don't agree that a clone slot was given to KI over another more deserving franchise. As such, the only point I am getting from your opening paragraph is that Kid Icarus deserves THREE reps because Nintendo MAY not make another Kid Icarus game. Again, I find that to be a STUPID justification for Kid Icarus to get more reps. Keep in mind, I LIKE Uprising. I DON'T agree that a series should get more CHARACTER representation because Nintendo may NEVER release another Kid Icarus game. I will however accept that as your reasoning for being so adamant about his inclusion even if I think it is absurd. Not saying you can't use that as your reason, but I don't think it is a good one. By that logic F-Zero should have 4 reps because it has more games but since 2004/2005 there has been no news on getting another F-Zero game and it looks like a new F-Zero MAY NEVER HAPPEN! Why would they when Mario Kart sells like Meth?

The next point is, some franchises like Donkey Kong or Metroid have the same protection for the future like Mario or Zelda. There are enough Nintendo supporters ( especially in Germany ) who aren't interested in Kid Icarus or don't know about this franchise. There are even assertions that Kid Icarus sold bad if you compare to other franchises ( in germany websides at least. ) It feels that I'm the only one in Germany who is a big supporter of Kid Icarus ( its just the feeling. ) If you ask in germany: '' Who is Link, who is Donkey Kong, who is Samus, who is Kirby? You get the right answer. But if you ask who is Pit or what is Kid Icarus, the gamers shrug with their shoulders. If you are lucky you get the answer: '' Pit is an angel from >>>Smash bros.<<< '' Thats it but Pit is as you know from Kid Icarus. I don't know whats about Kid Icarus in other countries, but in germany is Kid Icarus hardly known.
And you think putting in Pitt with an attitude is going to change that? Again, you ask anyone who Captain Falcon is and they will say "The Guy from Smash Bros." So why doesn't he get 3 character Slots then? Because of your bias towards Pit's franchise? Is that it? Let me give my own example of asking friends about Kid Icarus. My cousin has been a long time Smash fan and specifically bought a Wii U for the release. He doesn't follow every detail that is released like I do so when I told him about the leaked roster this was our conversation verbatim that will get edited by the site anyway:

Me: "...yeah they're saying Doc Mario and Dark Pit are in. Doc might be a clone. So might Dark Pit since he was in the 'Clone' row."

Bryce: "Yea, my ***** Doc back in this!"

Me: "Dude, **** Doc...."

Bryce: "*****, **** Dark Pit? Who's dat anyway?"

Me: "The not-really-evil-more-like-indifferent-dark version of Pit in Kid Icarus: Uprising."

Bryce: "*****, you mean the black color for Pit in Brawl?"

Me: *Face Palm* "No, dumbass, he's a character in the 3DS game that I was telling you about that stars Pit! *Pulls out 3DS pouch. Shows him physical game* "He's from this."

Bryce: "Man, **** that *****! They NEED to put my ***** Wolf back in dis *****!"

Me: *Shakes head*

I'm not saying a 24 year old African American is the basis for the demographic that purchases Nintendo gaming franchises, specifically in this case, Kid Icarus and Super Smash Bros. However, if people YOU KNOW didn't pick up KI: U after they saw Pit and people I KNOW didn't pick up KI: U after they say Pit, HOW IS A FREAKING CLONE/LOOK-A-LIKE suppose to change their opinion on the series? If I was a betting man, I would say it wouldn't. A BETTER and less irritating strategy would be to put in Medusa. SHE IS the main villain of 2/3 games AND FAR MORE DESERVING THEN DARK PIT. That way you have the Hero of the series, the "Princess" of the series and the Villain of the series to ACTUALLY represent all three games. Would I still agree with THREE KI character reps? Hell no, but at least it would make sense. Again, by this logic Sakurai should make a Game n Watch game then add two more reps in Smash 6.

Melee had Marth and Roy in the game for TWO reasons. Reason one is because in JAPAN Fire Emblem was SELLING WELL and Japanese player WANTED Fire Emblem characters! The OTHER reason was so that they could promote the PLANNED PREQUEL to FIre Emblem Binding Blade. Guess what? I still know people who never played Fire Emblem and we had the series represented and accessible in America for years now. Some people just don't like Fire Emblem and some people just don't like Kid Icarus. A LOOK-A-LIKE isn't going to change that. But I'll be generous, lets say character Representation DOES sell a franchise.... Guess what? PALUNTENA HAS ALREADY BEEN ASSIGNED TO THAT JOB! With Palentena you have MORE characters then KI even DESERVES. So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that Melee had two FE reps to promote Fire Emblem in Melee where KI only had ONE rep in Brawl to promote Kid Icarus. If it didn't work then, it probably won't work now but fine, have PALUNTENA, however, you DON'T NEED DARK PIT!

Without Sakurai Kid Icarus has an endangered future. But Sakurai will not make a sequel as you know. That means Sakurai should more represented Kid Icarus on Super Smash Bros. (DA FUQ!?) There are gamers who tried Kid Icarus Uprising but they didn't continue to play it because the control. ( Although I have to say the control is very great. ) If Sakurai don't help Kid Icarus who then? Super Smash Bros could support the Kid Icarus Uprising game very great. Many gamers still think Kid Icarus is a '' little '' franchise. Kid Icarus supporters like me want to finish this. But the reason is MAYBE justified. Kid Icarus hasn't (has?) a endangered future. You can be sure EVERY gamer say:

Super Mario is a great franchise ✓
The Legend of Zelda is a great franchise ✓
Donkey Kong is a great franchise ✓
Metroid is a great franchise ✓
Even Sonic the Hedgehog who isn't from Nintendo is a great franchise on Nintendo consoles ✓

But not every gamer say Kid Icarus is a great franchise with a great future. It was observed that some users tried to open threads against Pit / Kid Icarus in this community. In my opinion is that very sad.
Questionably English aside, I still have to give this paragraph a "WTF". You Literally begin by saying, and I quote "Without Sakurai Kid Icarus has an endangered future. But Sakurai will not make a sequel as you know." So he doesn't even CARE for the franchise enough to make a sequel and YOU think KI deserves THREE reps? Are you serious. More quotting.... "That means Sakurai Should more represented Kid Icarus on Super Smash Bros." Why? He doesn't care about the franchise according to you and with that information the only thing he cares about is promoting Kid Icarus: Uprising and NOT a franchise created by the most SHAFTED designer in Nintendo History, Toru Osawa. HELL, SMASH RUN IS ****ING UPRISING 2.0! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!? A GAME MODE in SMASH 3DS is based off of KID ICURAS UPRISING! Then you go on to say there are people who played it and didn't like it because of the controls. So again, GUESS THE **** WHAT!? PIT'S MISSION IN BRAWL WAS ****ING ACCOMPLISHED WITH OUT PALUNTENA! Holy hell, and people didn't like it because of the controls. So people played BRAWL, tried KI: U and didn't like it because either A) It wasn't an ACTION PLATFORMER like the PAST two games or B) They generally didn't like the FEEL of the game. So forget Dark Pit... If you say SAKURAI DOESN'T GIVE A **** ABOUT THE SERIES and PEOPLE DON'T LIKE KI: U then please tell me how in your mind that translates to KID ICARUS DESERVES 3 CHARACTER SLOTS!? Rationally, please.

I think it is childish to make a thread dedicated to bashing one character. I really do. Justified, sure, but childish none the less. As much as I hate Doc, as much as I hate Dark Pit, as much as I hate Pichu, as much as I hate Brawl Meta Knight, I would never do that. But you can't expect people to call Kid Icarus a great franchise when the first game sold like dirt and was hard as hell, the second game sold like dirt and I swear I am the only person in existence that has played it, and it had one moderately successful game on the 3DS. You can have these statistics and claim to be a "great franchise", bro. Life does not work that way. The Kid Icarus franchise is 2.90 million, globally, COMBINED! THAT IS ASS MY FRIEND!
straight ASS! I'll admit, F-Zero Sold 5 mil globally with more games but guess what? HE HAS ONE REP!

You can see it on some threads ( comments ) in this community if they aren't deleted right up to all over the world. ( Maybe except in Japan. )

Don't get me wrong but I think Kid Icarus should be more represented (*Palm to face*) so that more gamers buy Kid Icarus Uprising and Nintendo considers to develop a new Kid Icarus. We don't know if we get a Kid Icarus in... 23 years or not.
You have 3 characters and a game mode and that isn't enough for you? Man, the bias is strong in you, huh? SO what about Game n Watch? He was the Melee retro pick. Did you buy his Virtual Console games? Did you petition Nintendo for a sequel? DO you want him to have more reps in Smash so people will buy his games? No? I understand, because you're biased as **** and THAT isn't justification why Kid Icarus needs more representation. THAT is BULL ****!

Last edited:
Top Bottom