• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keyboard Users

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I know there are a couple of pretty amazing people who use the keyboard instead of the controller or a gamepad for pj64 and **** (I think DarkLink is one of them). Isai onced told me that the keyboard has more potential too.
Can anyone elaborate on this?

Mekanos

Smash Cadet
I don't know about more potential...but both kb and controller have pros and cons. With kb you can dash very easily, but on the other hand it's hard to walk because it dashes automatically if you press a direction (it's extra sensitive).

There are also other things which are good and/or bad from a kb.

Myself, I've almost always played with the kb, so I prefer playing kb more than the controller. You just have to get used to it.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
May be? Check Nephiros's vid.

Also KB is easier for doing certain commands because you have control over every button at once instead of having to move your thumb over each button one at a time. Much much faster.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Keyboard : More DI, more "speed".

Controller : More control. Hence the name, ololol.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Oh, I see. Well, I've admired Dark Link's video for awhile now, especially since he does combos where you lands tilts and etc. I have no clue how that's possible since you can't really tilt with the kb.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Yes you can :3 I can tilt pretty much as much as I want really, or even walk. The only thing you can't do is stuff like...making Fox and Pika's up+b go 75° or stuff. Yes, you can shorthop-uair, too.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
How so? I mean...you can't tilt a button >_< I trying to learn how since my gamepad broke and I'm left with the kb :p

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yes you can :3 I can tilt pretty much as much as I want really, or even walk. The only thing you can't do is stuff like...making Fox and Pika's up+b go 75° or stuff. Yes, you can shorthop-uair, too.
Teach me how to keyboard hacks!!! :laugh:
...No really, how do you do that???

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
It's not hard with keyboard to tilt.. It's all about timing and planning so when your playing with a keyboard and you want to tilt, you have to kind of plan that your going to be doing that tilt before you perform it it. That's because if you hold a button after an action you'll tilt. For the short hop up air you have to be very quick. It's just like as if your typing 170 words per minute.

walking is easy if you can tilt

_kSo_

Smash Master
its sorta useless -> just use a controller

and if you dont have an N64, buy a controller + usb converter

it'll cost you less than $20 (which is less than an n64 + ssb64 anyway)

Liku

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how people can use the keyboard so well, I'd love to see the hand movements and gameplay at the same time.

DSB

Smash Apprentice
It's not hard with keyboard to tilt.. It's all about timing and planning so when your playing with a keyboard and you want to tilt, you have to kind of plan that your going to be doing that tilt before you perform it it. That's because if you hold a button after an action you'll tilt. For the short hop up air you have to be very quick. It's just like as if your typing 170 words per minute.

walking is easy if you can tilt
Exactly. I you want to follow Fox's Dair into an Uptilt you'll have to press up while Fox is still doing his Dair and keep holding it until after your Zcancel. Then if you press A, you'll tilt.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
You don't even need to think about it after a while tho. It's like L-cancelling

Liku

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys go from a standing position without any prior movement into a tilt on a keyboard? Or from a dash into a tilt?

_kSo_

Smash Master
on the keyboard you can't do a utilt from a normal standing position. you have to change the deadzone of your keys

options -> Configure Controller Plugin...

Otherwise, you can buffer the up or down button while jumping or doing another attack

for example, you can do pika's usmash attack, and hold the up button, and hit A again, and you will proceed to do a utilt.

Also, from a dash into a tilt, i don't think you can do it without changing your deadzone. however i believe if you change your deadzone it would make it impossible to dash 0_o

so I dunno, i think controller is better so I would recommend getting a usb/n64 converter

Nephiros

Smash Ace
*tries to utilt from a standing position without being holding up to prove the impossible wrong again*

Jaxi

Smash Rookie
Keyboard:
A+up at the same time = utilt
A+down at the same time = dtilt
Same with left/right (A+left or A+right at the same time)

At least that has always worked for me.

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
I use the keyboard when someone complains about controllers being better than kb and such or when someone says "i lose because i use kb", "you have handicap" and stuff xP, to prove them how wrong they are xP. short hoping is hard for me on kb tough x_x.

what i do to tilt with the keyboard is press a for a single attack and hold upward so the sprites wont let my character jump, to avoid fast falling I hold downward just after my first jump.

Top Bottom