• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken's theory of natural talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ipwn

Smash Apprentice
1) Be a human.. instead of Ken.
2) Be least half Asian ( Rofl @ thisone ).
3) Dont play peach.

That's it, you get it.. Lovechild?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
How is it awkward? Everytime i beat my friends they reply "well you're asian and they're pro at this game" and then i tell them "nah that's you".

ThatGuy

Smash Master
How about staying on topic?

I assume you are asking this because you saw my thread? I was referring to the topic called "Ken observations", where Ken said that in order to be good at Smash, you must have a combination of both natural talent and hard work. Natural talent is basically an innate skill, basically you were built for Smash. Not everyone has this natural talent.

It's not really Ken's theory, per se, it's more like a widely acclaimed concept. I just called it Ken's theory because he was the one who brought it up concerning Smash. There's still lots of debate whether natural talent (A.K.A those prodigy children for example) really exists.

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
Ensee: Hahaha, thanks for the laughs.
I don't know why people think being asian makes you pro at games.
Some are joking but some, suprisingly, take it seriously.

Razed

Smash Ace
Wee! Spam thread! xD!

I think the Asian sterotype exists because almost all asians I have heard of specialize in one thing; be it Martial Arts, gaming, sports, music, or anything. This also exists in smash (Ken, Azen, Bombsoldier ect...)

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
Natural talent absolutely exists. I know of so many people who been playing a sport/game their entire lives, intensely, and they simply can't get better. If there wasn't a natural skill cap, how would this be possible?

Similarly, there are a lot of people who can get very good at some things extremely quickly. I'd like to think I'm one of those people, but I know that I've had to work really hard to get good at anything I'm good at.

A lot of this is purely genetics: People with talented parents have talented children. Whether or not they use this talent is up to them, but it definitely exists. Hence, I'm waiting for Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf's kid to grow up. I'm thinking he has the genetics to be as dominate as Roger Federer has ever been.

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
Ofcourse natural talent exists. By MY PERSONAL EXPIRIENCES my asian friends seem to be better at SSBM than all my other friends.

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
Most black people prefer sports, (like basketball), rather than gaming.
Woah Woah... thats a pretty... shallow remark rofl......

WOW!!!!!!!!

Anyway......
I'm black.
I have an afro ( for lyfe)
I'm a gamer.
I do sports... brown belt

Wtf do you mean?

Aiko

Smash Champion
doesn't mean anything. Your race has no bearing on your ability to play smash.

unless your asian :D

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
Many asians are good at a lot of things because discipline is stressed from childhood. Most of us are familiar with that asian kid who has military parents who force them to get straight A's, play an instrument, _____, _____, and so on and so on. It is a stereotype that a lot of asian kids play instruments...well a lot of the parents force them not only to play an instrument, but to incessantly practice that instrument. I also believe that becoming good in one activity will greatly aid you in others that have related attributes. If you are a piano virtuouso, then you will have hand-eye coordination, as well as speed and dexterity...which will help someone in any competitive game. Not all asian kids are good at smash...I know plenty of asian kids that are garbage...

I believe the theory of natural talent is not AS applicable to smash brothers as other activities such as baseball. Here is my reasoning: smash brothers is not very difficult. It is quite possible to be relatively inexperienced at smash brothers and within a year be somewhere around the professional level. This is not (feasibly) possible with being a professional baseball player. You have to have played the game pretty much your whole life to be at that level. The majority of people could practice baseball their entire life every single day and be nowhere near the skill of professional baseball players. Smash brothers is not as complex and physically difficult.

Natural talent is almost pointless to discuss regarding smash...as I believe it does not exist in most cases. If you have never played a single video game in your life...and learn very quickly to be good, then you definitely have natural talent. The games you have played prior to smash all help you, whether you realize it or not, to be skillful at the game. Let's say you take two kids that have never played SSBM to play each other 1on1. One has extensively played the 64 version, while one has never touched it. Who is probably going to win? Is it a coincidence that people who are very good at one particular video game tend to be good at many others? This tends to be the case even in games that are not related.

Unfortunately, some people will never be good at smash. There are certain people that would roll into a charged smash every single game without EVER considering to change this habit. Does this make this person less naturally talented...perhaps...or maybe he's just not very bright....

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I believe in natural talent, for sure. I have it. I'm not saying I'm great, but considering how little I play I shouldn't be as good as I am. That goes for all games though. Maybe its just that gamers have a natural affinity to games even if its not like one you have ever played. I have been playing games since I was 4 and I can pretty much pick something up and be good at it without too much effort.

In fact my dad was a gamer too, so maybe its heriditary. If so then I will breed an unstopable army of gaming elites.

Aiko

Smash Champion
dammit I'm such a stereotype....

I've been playing the piano since I was 4 (I'm 20 now, do the math) and I've been playing games since around the same age...

but also, you have to consider how long sports have been played competitively for and compare it to smash. Sports have been around for hundreds of years, whereas smash has been around for 5-6 years. If you include the 64 one, then its about 8 years. If smash has been around for hundreds of years then it might start to compare, but you also have to consider the career prospects. Smash isn't a career. Gaming may be, but smash would only be 1 aspect of that career. Better career prospects leads to development and training. You can only spend so much time on smash without income.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
Aiko: Most people already have the physical ability to play smash at a fairly high or even professional level...most people will NEVER be able to throw a 90 mph fastball...smash would never be able to compare to something so phsyically demanding...on a side note...i'm asian and also have played piano and guitar since i was young and I am twenty as well :) I have also AAA'ed most songs on DDR and excel in math and have a black belt in two different martial arts styles...so I know something about stereotypes...and i love rice and kimchi, rice+kimchi 4life.

highandmightyjoe: u say you are good...but it is relative...even if you are the best that you know it does not necessarily mean that others will consider you good

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
I'm not that fantastic at smash and I'm asian...PC's fox beats me harder than his falco...he's just a really really smart player...very solid. Whenever I play one of the top smash players I am amazed at how well they minimize risks in their actions. I've also noticed lately how they have stupid DI....they live through EVERYTHING...

oh, I also love the stereotype that black people love fried chicken

doesn't everybody love fried chicken?!?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
asians on average are good at everything...except sports,

white people, we're well rounded, we do pretty much good at anything

black people, good at anything competitive but tend to be lazy when it requires a lot of thinking (like school)

yes these are all stereotypes but for the most part tend to be true, well at least around where i live, but we're brought up under these stereotypes for the most part, it doesn't mean we hate another race (friggen asians...good at everything) it's just a fact of life

i don't like fried chicken...and i'm white

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
i think u are racist not because of ur stereotype views...but because you are lying to yourself about not liking fried chicken to make the black stereotype more accurate...fried chicken is so good...what's not to like?

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
mood4food = in your name and you don't like fried chicken?

omgwtfbbq!

Lets all eat chicken NOW :chuckle:

I believe in natural talent, I am playing smash for a very long time and I still suck ***, I want to get better, but it seems impossible, lol. I hope I don't have this with SSBB, I want to be the best of the worl in that game :chuckle:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i don't like chicken, never did

those stereotypes are the stereotypes we're brought up by, like if we see a black person with an amazingly high GPA, we're like whoa...you sure you're black, or when an asian is really athletic, we think something went wrong

the black stereotypes, if you have watched undercover brother, i think you'd notice the black people hating mayonnaise, blacks love friend chicken and orange soda, all that, so yes, we've been brought up this way

honostly, i don't like any poultry, not a big meat eater, but i'll eat pretty much everything else, and for the record, I'M NOT FAT, one of the top 5 athletes in the school, i just eat a lot when i'm off my medicine (i hate ADD)

Shurikono

Smash Cadet
lol

How is it awkward? Everytime i beat my friends they reply "well you're asian and they're pro at this game" and then i tell them "nah that's you".
The funny thing is I also smash with asians and I am the only white boy, so when I loose a match I sometimes come up with: "Well you guys have asian powers" ofcourse we are just fooling around. XD

Mareg

Smash Rookie
asians on average are good at everything...except sports,

white people, we're well rounded, we do pretty much good at anything

black people, good at anything competitive but tend to be lazy when it requires a lot of thinking (like school)

yes these are all stereotypes but for the most part tend to be true, well at least around where i live, but we're brought up under these stereotypes for the most part, it doesn't mean we hate another race (friggen asians...good at everything) it's just a fact of life

i love fried chicken and hot sauce but i hate hate HATE watermelon. and im black.
the sterotypes depend on each individuals upbringing. by upbringing i mean their entire environment while they're growing up like their friends, their parents, their friend's parents teachers, classmates, etc. stereotypes also depend on hereditary traits but to a point. you'll usually see black people running faster than people of other races but you sure as hell wont see us in the water very much. after that point it's a person's desire to be the best that makes them better than everyone else. lots of times it's a person's upbringing that creates the competitive desire in the first place.

my father always told me that unless i got 100 percent i failed. it's probably why im at a ****ed good engineering college right now, and why a lot of my friends from highschool dropped out before the end of the year since they weren't going to graduate with the rest of us.

it hits you pretty hard when you don't see someone sitting at your lunch table anymore towards the end of the year.

i totally lost my point but the sterotypes are only their because of upbringing not other reason.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Someone doesn't like fried chicken?!

He's a witch! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
Wee! Spam thread! xD!

I think the Asian sterotype exists because almost all asians I have heard of specialize in one thing; be it Martial Arts, gaming, sports, music, or anything. This also exists in smash (Ken, Azen, Bombsoldier ect...)

Holy crap azen is asian!?!?

Aiko

Smash Champion
Aiko: Most people already have the physical ability to play smash at a fairly high or even professional level...most people will NEVER be able to throw a 90 mph fastball...smash would never be able to compare to something so phsyically demanding...on a side note...i'm asian and also have played piano and guitar since i was young and I am twenty as well :) I have also AAA'ed most songs on DDR and excel in math and have a black belt in two different martial arts styles...so I know something about stereotypes...and i love rice and kimchi, rice+kimchi 4life.
omg its like looking into a mirror. Ok I've not AAA'd songs on DDR, but the perfect window from on Euromixes is a bit harsher. I've AA'd just about every heavy song, with the exception of most 10 footers (I've AA'd bag, max 300 and sakura). I can also play a couple of songs backwards :D I don't play guitar (I can't think in chords very well) and I USED to be good at maths (I've stopped doing difficult maths since my major is biomedicine).... and yes I love rice. Not so keen on kimchi though. Noodles are good too.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
if we see a black person with an amazingly high GPA, we're like whoa...you sure you're black
haha you're gonna get the **** kicked out of you if you say things like that...imagine..

"woah...how come you aren't speaking in ebonics!??! omg u can't rap? u sure ur black!?!"

on a side note...it sucks to be asian because we don't get any help from affirmative
action because we are over-represented in universities...it's the hardest to be asian than any other race to get into harvard medical school...sucks ... :(

Being African American, on average, will give you a full GPA point boost and 200-400 point increase in SAT scores for college admittance...Michigan University awarded more admittance points for being black than getting a perfect 1600 on the SATs....*sigh...

Shurikono

Smash Cadet
1 month ago I lent my joystick to "My" a Vietnamese smash player in my crew, when he returned my joystick a few days ago, the analogue was all wasted..
I was like "dang you must have smashed really hard, a bit too hard!!"
The joystick is still alive though but this is just a fact that Asians know how to play games well" :p
My crew has 5 members, 4 of them are Asians.. so yeah in my experience they are good at games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom