• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken's theory of natural talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
I hate stereotypes. D:

Anyway, I think that natural talent does not exist. It is how you are raised and how you are influenced, unless some physical characteristics are hereditary.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Okay, before I say my two cents, I gotta answer some quotes

Most black people prefer sports, (like basketball), rather than gaming.
That's not true...well, not exactly, anyway.

Most black people like to play sports games, not to mention something like Def Jam: Fight for New York or GTA games XD. Some like fantasy and other sorts of games too. We're not just sports fiends you know? :p

PC chris giving white kids hope in the smash community since 2005
Hor-Raaah! XDD

asians on average are good at everything...except sports,

white people, we're well rounded, we do pretty much good at anything

black people, good at anything competitive but tend to be lazy when it requires a lot of thinking (like school)

yes these are all stereotypes but for the most part tend to be true, well at least around where i live, but we're brought up under these stereotypes for the most part, it doesn't mean we hate another race (friggen asians...good at everything) it's just a fact of life

i don't like fried chicken...and i'm white
Asians are good at mostly technical things, due to the fact that they get games and such a year before us. lucky *******s XD

whites...well, you got that right. but no one's good at everything. that would make them boring and annoying :p

Blacks are mostly competive, but we can do thinking activites. Just some of us suffer from laziness, period XD

:yoshi: Someone doesn't like fried chicken?!

He's a witch! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!
No, that'll take too long. just send him to the chop shop factory. :p

Now, erm...I'm suprised no one didn't mention about hispanics playing video games. Not that I am one. I'm black. They can be just as competitive as blacks.

Also, anyone can be good at something if they learn to disipline themselves and train. You don't have to be a certain race to be better at something (the asians/Japanese have the advantage due to they get the games first =/ ). Natural skills is best born from their parents.

Like, if your father was good at basketball, there's some chance that you can be good at it too. You can also get great talents by playing something at a early age throughout a long period of years.

Fumble

Smash Cadet
Im white, and my friends are mostly asian. Atleast the ones who play smash, and I beat all of them almost all of the time. And I do use peach :)

iankobe

Smash Lord
Look guys, all you guys are saying is just the statistics. Not ALL black people can play sports, not ALL Asians are smart. Don't assume the ENTIRE Asian race is good at smash. Heck, I'm asian, and I don't think my mom can play smash. And I've also seen a black guy that didn't even know how to dribble a dang bball.

So don't say like "Asian/Black/white/any kind of race" is good at a certain thing.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i went to say something about the spanish then realized, what do i say

why send me to a chopper for not liking fried chicken, last time i ate it, i almost threw up, i'm not the only person in the world who doesn't like fried chicken

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
i went to say something about the spanish then realized, what do i say

why send me to a chopper for not liking fried chicken, last time i ate it, i almost threw up, i'm not the only person in the world who doesn't like fried chicken
I ment for it to sound like a joke, not really insulting/getting at you. If it sound like I was, I'm sorry about that.

Also, you have your right for not liking fried chicken. Some others don't like fried chicken or other types of food. I don't like eating tuna fish, lettuce or tomato. It's not because of i get sick of them, but more of the taste.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i know it was, i thought it was funny that everyone thought it was a shocker, i probably would to, that out of all people here, the guy named mood4food doesn't like fried chicken

i'm forced to eat chicken at least twice a week, and another day it's pork, and i hate that too so i'm stuck in my own little craphole

tuna fish, it's gotta be the mayo, right? :p

T-major

Smash Champion
doesn't everybody love fried chicken?!?

of course!... unless you're.... you know... dead..

::on topic::

natural talent does exist, but there are so many factors that go into it that it would be impossible for me to explain them all. I'll give you a few traits that I would lable as "natural talent", but keep in mind that these arn't even close to all of them (and this is just what I make out of these traits. feel free to add to them if you want)

--Fast Learning: this is what I consider myself to have. people with this trait usualy can learn how to do something fairly quickly, but not nessesarily be able to do it without practice. for example. I know how to Wave dash, and I figured out how to do it almost as soon as I heard about it. but acualy doing it is hard for me, and I would need a lot of practice if I wanted to use it to the extent where it would be useful. however. not being able to do something, while knowing how to, only aplies to things that require phisical abilities. things such as math, and learning a new language only use the comprehention factor.

-- Selective Talent: this trait is usualy described (by me at least) as being able to excel at one thing, while being bad at others. an example would be having naturaly good art skills, without the help of practice. but being bad at things like math and sports ect., unless you practice a lot. most of the time, this is inherited from past generations. a confusing factor present in this trait is that things related to the selected talent of an individual, sometimes (but not all the time) only apply to a specific part. for example, being naturaly good at Melee when using DK, but bad when using every other character. or being good at hitting a base ball, but bad at everything else in the sport such as pitching and catching.

...this is harder then I thought... lets seeeee....

-- Relative Talent: this is usualy present in most people. it refers to having skill in something new, thanks to knowledge of something similar. like someone said earlier, if you've played video games all your life, then pick up a new game you've never played before, chances are you will be better at the game then someone who hasn't played a video game prior.

-- now, these triats (as well as ones not mentioned) sometimes overlap each other. like having selective talent in something, as well as things related to it.

........thats all I got... sorry for the long post.. :ohwell:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
if anyone knows of this first time poster, please let us know what area he lives in so we can all take his challenge and hopefully teach him his lesson of never annoy the more experienced users :p (darn, stupid aol smiley trick didn't work)

HylianLord

Smash Ace
psh who the hell said asians suck at sports. wtf is this. just about all of my school's varsity (everything) is composed of a majority of asians, and we rank pretty well in our district... (then of course... the whole district is asian ROFL)

sterotyping is fun for asians anyways, because all of our sterotypes aren't negative at all. you can't complain when someone says... "omg you're only good at math because you're asian"... do we really need to fight back XD?

neways, who knows why asian's get the sterotype for being better gamers. maybe it's just because [we] have more interest (on a larger scale) for these kind of things because asians are less physically fit than other races (not trying to make excuses or anything... but just look at the olympics T_T). bah w/e... silentspectre is scary whether or not he's asian XD. same with ken =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom