• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kat the Gravity Queen drops in!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Supporting Kat is no different than people supporting Master Chief. If nobody has problem with the Halo dude then they should leave us alone.
Master Chief has made an official appearance on Switch via Minecraft. So no it's not the same thing.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Master Chief has made an official appearance on Switch via Minecraft. So no it's not the same thing.
That's like the smallest of small cameos, for all intents and purposes Master Chief hasn't been on Nintendo. If he gets in it won't be because he got a pass for being a skin in an unrelated game that was ported to the Switch.

If you support Master Chief then just accept that he will have to be a rule breaker, not try to shoehorn him into a rule he doesn't fit with.

So yes anyone supporting Master Chief shouldn't have any beef with Kat, if anything having her in would remove the rule most keeping Master Chief out.

PsychoJosh

That's like the smallest of small cameos,
It still counts. That's more than Kat has to her name. It's the same way Cloud got in despite only having a cameo in a Kingdom Hearts game on GBA.

I'm not trying to crap on Kat but Chief definitely has more going for him than her precisely because of his Minecraft cameo. He also had a Halo game in development for DS.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
It still counts. That's more than Kat has to her name. It's the same way Cloud got in despite only having a cameo in a Kingdom Hearts game on GBA.

I'm not trying to crap on Kat but Chief definitely has more going for him than her precisely because of his Minecraft cameo. He also had a Halo game in development for DS.
Cloud didn't get in because of his Kingdom Hearts cameo, he got in because of he was the face of the Final Fantasy series, which had a long history with Nintendo before going to Sony and was a highly popular character in his own right even with Smash fans.

Sakurai isn't looking for some small cameo to justify a character's inclusion, if he wants to put a character in he'll put them in.

I don't say this to make it seem like either of them are very likely, but to suggest one is more likely than the other because of a cameo skin in a completely unrelated game that was ported to Switch is just way too out there. If Master Chief is more likely it's purely because he's more popular.

PsychoJosh

Cloud didn't get in because of his Kingdom Hearts cameo, he got in because of he was the face of the Final Fantasy series, which had a long history with Nintendo before going to Sony and was a highly popular character in his own right even with Smash fans.

Sakurai isn't looking for some small cameo to justify a character's inclusion, if he wants to put a character in he'll put them in.

I don't say this to make it seem like either of them are very likely, but to suggest one is more likely than the other because of a cameo skin in a completely unrelated game that was ported to Switch is just way too out there. If Master Chief is more likely it's purely because he's more popular.
This just sounds like some "I know how Sakurai thinks" nonsense.

Chief's cameo, however small, does place him higher in the running than Kat. It is intellectually dishonest to compare them because small cameos are still preferable to nothing at all. No character has technically thus far broken this rule of "must have appeared on a Nintendo system" so as far as things go it is currently an ironclad rule which Chief doesnt break and Kat does.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
This just sounds like some "I know how Sakurai thinks" nonsense.

Chief's cameo, however small, does place him higher in the running than Kat. It is intellectually dishonest to compare them because small cameos are still preferable to nothing at all. No character has technically thus far broken this rule of "must have appeared on a Nintendo system" so as far as things go it is currently an ironclad rule which Chief doesnt break and Kat does.
I mean I honestly think Master Chief stands a much better chance than Kat but I still find this ridiculous. It's not about pretending to know how Sakurai thinks, it's just being logical. Can you really imagine Sakurai being like:

"I'm sorry, Miyamoto-san, I can't add Cloud to Smash. No, it doesn't matter how famous he is, he's never appeared on a Nintendo con- Wait, what? He cameo'd in a Kingdom Hearts game on 3DS? Well, that changes everything! Welcome to Smash, Cloud!"

Joker's and especially Cloud's appearances on Nintendo consoles are coincidences. Besides, technically speaking, Sakurai never said a 3rd party character must be on a Nintendo console prior to inclusion in Smash, only that it would be a "courtesy." This statement is also from what, 10 years ago? Maybe more? Unless he reinforces that sentiment today we really shouldn't consider it to matter anymore.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, that's Banjo in the game.

How long until Sony finally breaks?

On a side note, with Sony doing movies and TV shows based off it's games, I hope they give the Spider-verse team a crack at Gravity Rush. That would be incredible.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Okay that's not the same thing. Banjo debuted on Nintendo 64 which is why Phil Spencer is okay with doing that. Kat has literally nothing going for her in that regard. And even if she did have an appearance on a Nintendo system there's no guarantee that Sony would want to play ball.
LOL why do you want to end the fun? Well Nintendo could buy her studio.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Been meaning to play GR for a while now; looks like an interesting series, and Kat's design is really good.
SO I support.

Stormy Rain

Smash Rookie
LOL why do you want to end the fun? Well Nintendo could buy her studio.
Why do they need to buy her studio?
Sony showed a willingness to work with companies.
Sony allow Master Chief to appear on Sony owned platforms. Sony worked with Microsoft for their network infrastructure. Sony worked with Nintendo and Microsoft against Trump. Sony published games on the SNES and the Nintendo Switch.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halos-master-chief-now-on-nintendo-switch-thanks-t/1100-6456435/
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...r-chief-skins-appear-in-minecraft-switch.aspx
https://www.destructoid.com/master-...ole-via-official-minecraft-skins-462079.phtml
https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/17/16488326/sony-nintendo-switch-game-tiny-metal-unties-label
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/20/18632374/microsoft-sony-cloud-gaming-partnership-amazon-google
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...p-withdraw-china-tariffs-joint-letter-1221108
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...letter-discouraging-trump-administration-from

Sakurai doesn't care about console wars. I doubt Sakurai wanted to add Cloud for showing up in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories or Joker for showing up in Persona Q2 which was only released a week before Joker's reveal or wanted to add Sonic in Melee but could not due to not having enough time.

Sakurai plays Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). I doubt he did it on a Nintendo Wii.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/07/24/sonic-the-hedgehog-joins-the-battle/

Sakurai said:
I do this with all characters, but I decided I needed to first immerse myself in the original games and absorb the creator’s intention. Even though Sonic has a lot of games, I decided to base the core of Sonic on the ones I played. Of course I played the older titles, but I also completed the newest installment at the time—Sonic the Hedgehog for the Playstation 3. Naturally, I also played Sonic the Fighters, Shadow the Hedgehog and other supplementary games to the series.

roydgriffin

Smash Rookie
I'm replaying Gravity Rush 2 atm and it's just such a great, underrated game.
Just moving around is so much fun!

I was one of the two people who played quite a lot of Playstation All Stars back in the day, and I really enjoyed it for a year or so.
Kat was such a fun, unique character in there, it would be a shame to let her rot in a dead crossover fighter!

With more fighters confirmed coming to the game I say i fully support her! I feel like every video game character ever has a chance at this point, even if her's seems to be slimmer than a hair.
The only things going for her are that she has been in a crossover fighter before, that she would be pretty unique, and that she could bring in a very interesting looking stage (including gravity change mechanic?) with great music.

I'm quite hyped playing this right now, and I was thinking about what characters would be really cool for smash, and she came to mind!
I feel like this thread will die down again quickly, but I just wanted to voice my support for her ^^ Anyone should give Gravity rush a try!

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
The latest two fighters pass announcements made me much more optimistic that characters like Kat really stand a chance here. Gravity Rush is one of the most underrated series imo and along with Nier Automata and Persona 5 my favorite games on the PS4. Lets hope that if there is a Sony character planned in the future, it'll be her.

roydgriffin

Smash Rookie
To be perfectly honest, I think there are more likely, more popular sony characters than her of course, I think i don't have to even say that.

But if I had a hand in this, I would choose Kat!

Last edited:

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Found a Kat fanart of getting a Smash invite.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I encounter a possible moveset on Twitter made by @MonochromeMiku
@ErickADub also has something similar
Some people on Twitter has express an interest in having Kat in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stormy Rain

Smash Rookie
Someone is using Raven to promote their art game:
It's pretty neat.
Found a Kat fanart of getting a Smash invite.

@ErickADub also has something similar
Some people on Twitter has express an interest in having Kat in Smash.
One of them made another render of Kat in Smash
Cool things the fandom makes. I wish I was as skillful.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've always wanted to give Gravity Rush a try. Problem is, I'm not much of a Sony person (for personal reasons), so I don't really have a way to. Still, I think Kat would be a FAR more interesting pick than... most of Sony's other characters. Sign me up.

Gaming-101

Smash Rookie
I love the render of Kat in Smash Ultimate. How do people do that? is there any way I could try it. I’ve been planning on getting into 3D modeling, I just don’t where to start. However, I’m on mobile and don’t have a computer. Not sure if that helps

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’ve been playing Gravity Rush 2 (huge fan of the first game here) and I have to say Kat and the world of Gravity Rush would fit PERFECTLY into Smash, while I’ve never really been into the idea of characters from Sony, she seems like she would fit like a glove, and it helps I’ve seen more requests for her joining the battle than any other Sony character so I think a lot of people are fond of the idea.

I absolutely support, it’s just such a perfect fit for Smash Bros

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Top Bottom