• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kampfertable Kampfer Slider - Birmingham, AL 1/16/10 - SCHEDULE CHANGE

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I like fighting Wobbuffett. Gives me an easy max stat boost for a clean sweep. <3

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Different communities, different strokes.

The one I partake in the most has a blanket legendary ban, because of the prevalence of hacking among legendaries (this is actually a serious problem in every pokemon tourney). And every serious tourney I've been to has used an item-clause, so I'm really used to it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm definitely not an advocate of the blanket legendary ban. Some legendaries are easy to beat (Entei), and others have very hard counters (Tyranitar ***** Cresselia).

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I know how to play Melee, I just don't practice it or have a means to (which means wave dashing 1/4 of the time and L-canceling 1/8 of the time :ohwell:). I'm definitely interested in learning Blazblue. Street Fighter, yeah but not as much as Blazblue.

Edit: By the way. Fun tourney. It was nice to finally get a chance to play Professional smasher Will_, T1J, and Munkus. :)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sorry Billy. ;(

Did you end up teaming with Raf?

TheReflexWonder, I'll have to give you your jacket next time. Sorry. T____T

And Billy, play Jiggs or GnW in Melee. GnW can't lcancel and Jiggs is in the air too much to need to wavedash very often, lol.

Peach is an option as well.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Peach is a really fast character.

I'd recommend using whoever you have the most fun with. I find learning and consistently doing technical things to be very satisfying and I like stimulation, so I use Fox.

OOOOR you can be like EVERY SINGLE OTHER BRAWL PLAYER and use Jigglypuff/Shiek/Jigglypuff/Jigglypuff

stealth3654

Smash Lord
No, I teamed with Munkus. We didn't to too hot, but it's all good. Raf was suppose to team with a friend of his, but he bailed on entering teams the day of. So Raf teamed with Cheap.

By the way, I played Sheik in Melee. That's initially why I mained her in Brawl.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I had a lot of fun. Got some work done when I got home to balance it out.

No, I teamed with Munkus. We didn't to too hot, but it's all good. Raf was suppose to team with a friend of his, but he bailed on entering teams the day of. So Raf teamed with Cheap.

By the way, I played Sheik in Melee. That's initially why I mained her in Brawl.
Well, the matches were close, and we were a few mistakes away from success.

And I played Jiggs in Melee.

Winnar

Smash Lord
But this was still a ton of fun.

I just wish more people were interested in more things. I don't suppose any of you will consider learning Melee/Blazblue/Street Fighter?
Meleeeeeee

I'm sorry Billy. ;(

Did you end up teaming with Raf?

TheReflexWonder, I'll have to give you your jacket next time. Sorry. T____T

And Billy, play Jiggs or GnW in Melee. GnW can't lcancel and Jiggs is in the air too much to need to wavedash very often, lol.

Peach is an option as well.
...dude

G&W can L cancel <_<

It's just he has so much lag on his moves that even with L cancelling it seems like he isn't.

If you don't L cancel then you have a ganon lag on your hands

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
...dude

G&W can L cancel <_<

It's just he has so much lag on his moves that even with L cancelling it seems like he isn't.

If you don't L cancel then you have a ganon lag on your hands
Well, not entirely. G&W's U-Air, B-Air, and N-Air are actually without L-Cancel possibility. They do not benefit at all, for some stupid reason. D-Air and F-Air definitely do, though.

I'm definitely not an advocate of the blanket legendary ban. Some legendaries are easy to beat (Entei), and others have very hard counters (Tyranitar ***** Cresselia).
I stand by the idea that Celebi was totally Uber in GSC, but at this point, pretty much all of the newer standards are as good, if not better than, the legendaries at this point.

That being said, eff Cresselia.

I just wish more people were interested in more things. I don't suppose any of you will consider learning Melee/Blazblue/Street Fighter?
Didn't like five people say, "I can't go to this, but I wish Melee was a staple?"

Also, I have a problem with tournaments half the size getting double the entry fee. I'm not going to enter any Street Fighter tournament (except for Super SFII, hah) until the entry fee is higher for the more popular games.

That being said, the tournament was alright, but you're trying to force tournaments for all these different games that most people don't play competitively. There's nothing wrong with just having a Smashfest and playing everything. You'll have people close to the area come and enjoy themselves, and if that's the important thing, then that should be fine, right?

That being said, until Brawl's entry fee is up to $10, I'm not coming anymore. I can hold a Smashfest at my house and enjoy myself about as much, without having to drive for hours and spend lots of money. It's because of the money, but only because no one is coming anymore, and I can't justify the fun making up for it as a result. It's nice to see old faces, but I may as well go for a weekend to hang out or something.

When I played Melee (and, admittedly, wasn't so amazing), I lost hard and often, but the fact that there were always new faces and the fact that there were always new things to learn kept me happy and willing to spend money to go to every tournament that popped up. Without that, I wouldn't have cared to go. I thought that the community has been growing lately--What happened?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i played billy for the first time at this tourney and i will attest to the fact that he is ****ing good.

i think from now on i'm just going to assume i'm going to have to fight reflex first in every tournament :-/

teams results were
1. george and will
2. reflex and kismet
3. billy and munkus

im pretty sure

and we also did a low tier round robin which was like

1. reflex
2. t1j
3. will
4. slam
5. zero

im pretty sure

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Yeah, I honestly don't understand why he isn't higher than Dan, considering he has outplaced Dan at every tournament they have attended together.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can I safely assume...

1. Kismet (Falco/MK?)
2. Reflex (PT)
3. Billy (Sheik/Falco)
4. George (Kirby/MK? Wolf?)
5. Will_ (MK/DK?)
5. Elev8 (IC/D3/Various)
7. Munkus (MK)
7. Cheap (Peach/ZSS?)

?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Can I safely assume...

1. Kismet (Falco/MK?)
2. Reflex (PT)
3. Billy (Sheik/Falco)
4. George (Kirby/MK? Wolf?)
5. Will_ (MK/DK?)
5. Elev8 (IC/D3/Various)
7. Munkus (MK)
7. Cheap (Peach/ZSS?)

?
close, Ill add on some other characters they went.

Reflex played a lot of wolf, and some link.
Billy played more snake than falco (from what i saw)
George went pure Kirby, I believe.
Kismet went snake vs billy
I went only peach

Everyone else is accurate (from what I've seen.)

And yeah, Billy is really good, and George is still really good.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I went Wolf against Reflex's Wolf in one of our sets. Other than that, I went all Kirby.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cool deal.

So this, really.

1. Kismet (Falco/Snake)
2. Reflex (PT/Wolf)
3. Billy (Sheik/Snake/Falco) (more Snake than Sheik?)
4. George (Kirby)
5. Will_ (MK/DK)
5. Elev8 (IC/D3/Various)
7. Munkus (MK)
7. Cheap (Peach)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i didnt do good.
billy always beats me early in the brackets.
i think i am like 0-6 vs. him.
hahahahaa

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Didn't like five people say, "I can't go to this, but I wish Melee was a staple?"

Also, I have a problem with tournaments half the size getting double the entry fee. I'm not going to enter any Street Fighter tournament (except for Super SFII, hah) until the entry fee is higher for the more popular games.

That being said, the tournament was alright, but you're trying to force tournaments for all these different games that most people don't play competitively. There's nothing wrong with just having a Smashfest and playing everything. You'll have people close to the area come and enjoy themselves, and if that's the important thing, then that should be fine, right?

That being said, until Brawl's entry fee is up to $10, I'm not coming anymore. I can hold a Smashfest at my house and enjoy myself about as much, without having to drive for hours and spend lots of money. It's because of the money, but only because no one is coming anymore, and I can't justify the fun making up for it as a result. It's nice to see old faces, but I may as well go for a weekend to hang out or something.

When I played Melee (and, admittedly, wasn't so amazing), I lost hard and often, but the fact that there were always new faces and the fact that there were always new things to learn kept me happy and willing to spend money to go to every tournament that popped up. Without that, I wouldn't have cared to go. I thought that the community has been growing lately--What happened?
You're right about the entry fee thing. This tournament was an experiment to bring together Shoryuken and Smashboards communities and I honestly thought that 10$ was the standard pricing for 2D fighters since it had been that way for several tournaments that I went to and they all had reasonable turnout. Next time I host, all games will be 5$. For Brawl's pricing, let's face it, some of us don't win, so some of us don't make back at least a little of our money. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind contributing to the pot and stuff, but I don't like throwing away all my money. That being said, if it would hardcore affect the possibility of your (and I'd assume your brother's, Dan's, and others') attendance, then I will periodically make it 10$.

I overestimated the turnout for Street Fighter IV and Blazblue and even Brawl; I'm wondering what's going on with the community too...

I'm sorry you feel this way about my tournaments though, and I don't think there's anything I could say to change your mind about them. :/

EDIT: Also, since no one does Brawl+...... I'm just going to bring back Melee. You guys are very fickle.

nice1

Smash Lord
maybe you should bump threads up more then usually and make flyers and put them around b-ham cuz i know if lil selma AL can get bout 20 peeps to play a SF4 tourney i know b-ham can and with super comming out soon most peeps might be waiting for that

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Yeah, I just found out about this whole thing just a week or so before it happened.

Pushing the advertising of it would help the whole headcount thing.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
First of all, I would lose the door fee. Yes, you're letting us into your home, and we're probably not going to be the most gracious of guests, but I know a lot of people that feel cheated when they're forced to pay door fees to get into someone's home. Don't justify it by getting us food and drinks either.

Secondly, $5 entry fees are really only good if you're trying to attract a more casual audience to your tournament, and these tournaments have like no advertising. Seriously, you don't even post these tournaments on All is Brawl. I'm not sure about the activity on that site as of late, but the word needs to get out there.

I guess you could technically say, "Well, I guess I'm going to lose, so there's no point in entering since it's a waste of $5," and $10 would make that even worse, but the problem is that it feels incredibly pointless for a lot of players to drive 3+ hours to a tournament and then drive all the way back, actually losing money to go to a tournament when they win the events. I can have fun playing this game without playing for money, and I usually enjoy it more that way, but if there are only going to be 5 teams in doubles, I would at least like to win a little bit of money instead of coming out dead even for the day or losing money when I win. </runon>

I'm one step away from just hosting tournaments at my apartment on the same day.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i vote for 10 dollar entry fees too.
and more advertising.

but brawl community is full of "casuals-turned-competitive" so I can't really predict how they'll react to certain things.
in melee people would pay 20 dollar entry fees plus door fee just because the community was so exciting. but i cant say the same for brawl peeps

but tuscaloosa tourneys are coming back in february holler.
i want to run melee but none of you guys play melee :-(

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Great tourney, my Bang got resp3ct. It took me a while to realize that the fighting game ppl that were saying hi to me were the players I knew from Ensley, was racking my brain for a while there.

George is the most amazing teammate ever.

Props to Billy, I trained him well. Joking aside, I gotta step it up.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I think the main reason he has a door fee is to encourage people to bring set-ups. If not, it is a bit dumb.

I'm one step away from just hosting tournaments at my apartment on the same day.
Even though you seem to be sarcastic, I really would love for you to host tournaments again, whether at the apartment or Gamebox. (some melee too lol)

I do agree with raising tourny entry fees to 10$, even though I know I won't win it.

And if we ever have it, I would definitely be up for a brawl+ tourny, zero.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
For the record~ I went Almost all ICs at this tournament- i used Diddy in a game against Munkus, i went ZSS in a game against Russ, and i went D3 in a game against Billy.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
You're right about the entry fee thing. This tournament was an experiment to bring together Shoryuken and Smashboards communities and I honestly thought that 10$ was the standard pricing for 2D fighters since it had been that way for several tournaments that I went to and they all had reasonable turnout. Next time I host, all games will be 5$. For Brawl's pricing, let's face it, some of us don't win, so some of us don't make back at least a little of our money. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind contributing to the pot and stuff, but I don't like throwing away all my money. That being said, if it would hardcore affect the possibility of your (and I'd assume your brother's, Dan's, and others') attendance, then I will periodically make it 10$.

I overestimated the turnout for Street Fighter IV and Blazblue and even Brawl; I'm wondering what's going on with the community too...

I'm sorry you feel this way about my tournaments though, and I don't think there's anything I could say to change your mind about them. :/

EDIT: Also, since no one does Brawl+...... I'm just going to bring back Melee. You guys are very fickle.
so... what youre saying is that instead of getting people to come play brawl at the brawl torunament you wanted to let people play their own game there instead.
its not like the shoryukin people were gonna enter brawl or anything and i frankly dont even think they would ever be interested in it. most people in competitive communities know that other fighting communities exist. so if they wanted to see what that was like they could just come over to smashboards and see when a tournament is.
the same way i would find out about a SF tourney on shoryukin boards if i wanted to get into that.
i just dont see the point in trying to have a tournament to combine communities... maybe if it is big like Final Round then i can see that happening... but these are more like smashfests... and im pretty sure those guys just came to play their own game.
idk
i just think you should advertise more around the city so we can start getting new people to help come into smash and get into it rather than inviting people that play a totally different game already.
i enjoyed their company though.
but we really need to expand in AL.

the people elev8 brought werent half bad.

idk i just think the people in other fighting communities think of smash as a kind of not so serious game in comparision to their own.
especially brawl.
like...
they know our game is kind of not as srs.
and a smashfest with 12 people isnt gonna fix that.
let Final Round and all those tournaments fix that.:dizzy:

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Well, actually, these guys are getting interested in Smash after meeting us and just getting one or two more people to get into more games is enough of a victory for me.

Like I said, this was an experimental kind of thing, having so many events, and it ended reasonably, so I might do another like this.

I will definitely go all-out with advertising next time. I don't have a functioning printer yet though, so I'll need help with making fliers.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Also, my sister says that someone locked up Honey (the big white cat) inside a cat carrier with no way out.

He was locked in there for ~3 hours and if my sister hadn't found him when she got back, he would have been trapped longer. The cat carrier is torn from the inside from him trying to claw his way out.

That was a horrible thing to do and animal cruelty, particularly to my animals, will not be tolerated.

I'm not accusing anyone, specifically, this is just a warning to whomever may have been responsible.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Also, my reasoning for door fees is what Cheap said, I want more set-ups, but I also spent the door fees for food and drinks.

These complaints are being taken note of, and this is what I have so far:

1 - Raise entry fees to 10$
2 - Advertise
3 - No door fees

Top Bottom