• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

D

Deleted member

I mean I'm a supporter, but saying it's just a spinoff is a pretty legit argument. So far, to my knowledge, spinoff games haven't gotten a whole lot of attention in Smash. The only example of a playable character in Smash that I can think of is Doc.
But that's all DK games were pre-Brawl and we still got Diddy Kong because the fans demanded him in. Besides, K. Rool doesn't need to prove he's important in order to get in (without the ballot), he needs recent appearances. Getting in as DLC as a boss counts as that, which means that he's no longer a character "without a future". Even that will be significant for a character missing in action for a decade.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
I also a K. Rool in Mario Rabbids could happen. If the DLC occurs, it will obliterate any argument left against K. Rool since it'll mean that he has made a major appearance.

Of course people will claim that "it's just a spin-off!" or "It's DLC!" to downplay what will be his return but any sane man would know that this would immediately make him the most likely character for this game be it base roster or DLC.
I always wondered how people would feel if K. Rool returned in, like, Mario Kart 8, of all games. I'd take pretty much anything at this point.

Also, I hope we're still getting Amiibo for this game. Would suck to get K. Rool and no Amiibo for him.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I always wondered how people would feel if K. Rool returned in, like, Mario Kart 8, of all games. I'd take pretty much anything at this point.

Also, I hope we're still getting Amiibo for this game. Would suck to get K. Rool and no Amiibo for him.
One of the Mario Kart's added that giant bumblebee. As cool as it is, it means nothing. I mean, in the new Tennis game, we can finally play as a Chain Chomp. I would rather King K. Rool was added to the Rabbids to be real with you. If he appeared in Mario Kart, I would assume that was his final outing before Nintendo just decided to sell him off or something. Because characters that make D-Listers look good appear in those kart games... I shiver at the thought.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
But that's all DK games were pre-Brawl and we still got Diddy Kong because the fans demanded him in. Besides, K. Rool doesn't need to prove he's important in order to get in (without the ballot), he needs recent appearances. Getting in as DLC as a boss counts as that, which means that he's no longer a character "without a future". Even that will be significant for a character missing in action for a decade.
Do we really consider DKC a spinoff? I get DK existed before, but outside of him, everything in that universe was imagined from the ground up. Hell, even he got a massive redesign. DKC isn't some mere side game being sold with big names, it IS the big name. Diddy Kong was a major character in those games, that also happened to originate in those games. I hardly see the comparison with K.Rool.

I get that him making an appearance in Mario vs Rabbids, or really anywhere would make him relevant again, but all I'm saying is I don't think that would be the thing that makes Sakurai go, "well now my hands are tied, I have to put him in", especially now that the game is so far into development.

Imo K.Rool's fate resides on how important the ballot results were in selecting the current roster. If he truly used it to influence his choices this time, K.Rool is a shoo-in, if not, well there's always DLC.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
One of the Mario Kart's added that giant bumblebee. As cool as it is, it means nothing. I mean, in the new Tennis game, we can finally play as a Chain Chomp. I would rather King K. Rool was added to the Rabbids to be real with you. If he appeared in Mario Kart, I would assume that was his final outing before Nintendo just decided to sell him off or something. Because characters that make D-Listers look good appear in those kart games... I shiver at the thought.
I really doubt K. Rool being in Mario Kart would end the character or anything like that. Diddy and Funky were both in Mario Kart at one point.

Do we really consider DKC a spinoff? I get DK existed before, but outside of him, everything in that universe was imagined from the ground up. Hell, even he got a massive redesign. DKC isn't some mere side game being sold with big names, it IS the big name. Diddy Kong was a major character in those games, that also happened to originate in those games. I hardly see the comparison with K.Rool.
I believe Fuzzy Pickles is talking about the post-Melee, pre-Brawl era of the DK franchise, where there were no DKC games. We got bongo games, peg games and Barrel Blast.

D

Deleted member

I'd be happy with it. Any appearance will be good for our King.

I get that him making an appearance in Mario vs Rabbids, or really anywhere would make him relevant again, but all I'm saying is I don't think that would be the thing that makes Sakurai go, "well now my hands are tied, I have to put him in", especially now that the game is so far into development.

Imo K.Rool's fate resides on how important the ballot results were in selecting the current roster. If he truly used it to influence his choices this time, K.Rool is a shoo-in, if not, well there's always DLC.
That was not what I was saying, I said that post-Melee, all we got were spin-off games from DK and we still got Diddy Kong. Appearing in those spin-off games were enough to get him in.

Also I should clarify that I don't think that a Mario Rabbids appearance will help get him in the base roster, that much you're right on. However, like you said, there is going to be DLC and DLC will be decided after Mario vs. Rabbids. That means if K. Rool shows up as DLC in Mario and Rabbids, it's recent enough to be placed in consideration for DLC for this game.

So for now, it goes without saying K. Rool is reliant on the ballot to get in the base roster. Thankfully I don't think this is his best shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd be happy with it. Any appearance will be good for our King.

That was not what I was saying, I said that post-Melee, all we got were spin-off games from DK and we still got Diddy Kong. Appearing in those spin-off games were enough to get him in.

Also I should clarify that I don't think that a Mario Rabbids appearance will help get him in the base roster, that much you're right on. However, like you said, there is going to be DLC and DLC will be decided after Mario vs. Rabbids. That means if K. Rool shows up as DLC in Mario and Rabbids, it's recent enough to be placed in consideration for DLC for this game.

So for now, it goes without saying K. Rool is reliant on the ballot to get in the base roster. Thankfully I don't think this is his best shot.
Ok I see now. Thanks for clarifying.

I still don't see a Mario and Rabbids appearance doing anything though, but I see where you're coming from at least.

I honestly have some confidence coming into Smash 5 though. I really do believe the ballot results will have some play this time around, and he has to be near the top. I'm excited to see how things play out, I hope we won't have to wait too long.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
SPEAKING OF! With the Mario x Rabbids game's DK DLC considered, and the nature of the game being a strategic shooter... It's HIGHELY LIKELY that IF K.Rool is gonna be present in that game, he'll use the Blunderbuss as his main weapon.

Damn, feels good to be speculating K.Rool's chances again with a grain of hope! :4diddy:
I dunno, the animated trailer from January is showing rabbids with what seems to be a Tiki attire, and that trailer indeed made me think that Tikis would be the main enemies in this DLC. However, I'd love to be wrong and to see Kremlings being involved too. Maybe we could expect enemies in this DLC to be based on Kremlings, Tikis and Snowmads? That would be awesome.

How would you guys prefer K. Rool's role in the next DK?

Would you want him to exclusively be a King persona, as to re introduce the character to casual audiences and feature him only as the big bad at the end(Like DK games of the past)?

Or would you rather the developers go all out with K Rool and give him multiple unique personas and fights to fit world themes? For example, a beach/water world would bring a fight with Kaptain K Rool, maybe a desert world could bring a Kowboy K Rool, a mountainous/sky based world could hold the legendary Aviator K Rool, etc, etc, with a huge fight with KING K Rool at the finale.

Personally I'd like it if they got a little creative- not enough to sort-of "cheapen" K Rool by making him the only boss character you fight in the game, but maybe at major checkpoints across the adventure (Like 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 through the game, think Bowser's role in Mario Galaxy 1 but with new personas and attacks), with a proper fight with the King for the final boss.
I hope they'll make him appear regularly and not just in the final battle. I also hope he appears regularly in cutscenes and participates in storytelling that way; it was funny to see him express cognitive dissonance when he learns that the Kongs are doing much better than he thought they'd be capable of every time you enter a new level, but it would be cool to see him participating in the game's plot events.

When it comes to persona, I could imagine him appearing as the King most of the time, and I want him to be fought several times in the game. I also imagine him adopting a different persona for the final battle, one adapted to the game's plot. Like the Kremlings want to make a circus and the final boss is Klown K. Rool in a circus arena where the Kongs are trying to interupt a performance in order to sabotage the show and liberate other characters that have been forced to participate.

Also I'd like to see some new lore in a new DK game, but rather than a new category of enemies, add a new category of protagonist-friendly characters. I remember more than two years ago I suggested the idea of adding a new Lemur race to the DK series, that could be a good way to add a new category of characters without adding a new category of enemies that would take the Kremlings's place as the antagonists.

My personal plot idea is something like this: the Kongs are invited to take vacation on another island inhabited by a lemur race, but this invitation was a trap made by the Kremlings who took over that island and are slowly making an authoritarian regime there, where the lemur inhabitants are forced to participate in the Kremling Cirkus which is used by the Kremlings to promote their image and become famous worldwide. The Kongs will have to escape the same fate as those lemur people, but they need the help of the lemur people to go back to their island, and they will only be able to get their help if they stop the influence of the Kremlings on the island and the lemur people. And also make a lemur one of the playable characters.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I dunno, the animated trailer from January is showing rabbids with what seems to be a Tiki attire, and that trailer indeed made me think that Tikis would be the main enemies in this DLC. However, I'd love to be wrong and to see Kremlings being involved too. Maybe we could expect enemies in this DLC to be based on Kremlings, Tikis and Snowmads? That would be awesome.

I hope they'll make him appear regularly and not just in the final battle. I also hope he appears regularly in cutscenes and participates in storytelling that way; it was funny to see him express cognitive dissonance when he learns that the Kongs are doing much better than he thought they'd be capable of every time you enter a new level, but it would be cool to see him participating in the game's plot events.

When it comes to persona, I could imagine him appearing as the King most of the time, and I want him to be fought several times in the game. I also imagine him adopting a different persona for the final battle, one adapted to the game's plot. Like the Kremlings want to make a circus and the final boss is Klown K. Rool in a circus arena where the Kongs are trying to interupt a performance in order to sabotage the show and liberate other characters that have been forced to participate.

Also I'd like to see some new lore in a new DK game, but rather than a new category of enemies, add a new category of protagonist-friendly characters. I remember more than two years ago I suggested the idea of adding a new Lemur race to the DK series, that could be a good way to add a new category of characters without adding a new category of enemies that would take the Kremlings's place as the antagonists.

My personal plot idea is something like this: the Kongs are invited to take vacation on another island inhabited by a lemur race, but this invitation was a trap made by the Kremlings who took over that island and are slowly making an authoritarian regime there, where the lemur inhabitants are forced to participate in the Kremling Cirkus which is used by the Kremlings to promote their image and become famous worldwide. The Kongs will have to escape the same fate as those lemur people, but they need the help of the lemur people to go back to their island, and they will only be able to get their help if they stop the influence of the Kremlings on the island and the lemur people. And also make a lemur one of the playable characters.
I found a LeAkeD iMaGe of that game's new playable character:

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
The thing with K. Rools situation this time around is truly interesting.

We're in a post ballot world where we threw everything on the line to try to get him in. We campaigned, we got shout outs from the old Rare Devs, we got attention from Retro as well. Nintendo heard us and so did Sakurai clearly from the Mii costume.

Could the Mii costume still be a consolation prize? Sure it could.. baring Miis come back.

Inkling's got Mii costumes as well and look at them, the first reveals for this new game. The Mii costumes to me feel more like Sakurai confirming his awarness of some characters popularity, Inkling's, K. Rool, Lloyd, Geno etc. Also notice that much like Inkling's who came out in the first wave K. Rool came out relatively early in the Mii costume releases I believe he was in the 3rd wave of costumes and the ballot at that time still had a few months to go.

Clearly Nintendo and Sakurai have shown they're aware of his popularity, something I feel they didn't expect.... hence why Retro wasn't pressured into using them in their new games. I don't think there's a hatred of Rare or anything like that, after all the Jungle Climber and King of Swing games utilized most if not all of the DK characters from the Rare games and gave them redesigns. Had Nintendo wanted to completely distance themselves from the Kremlings we wouldn't have seen them since the Rare buyout or worse Nintendo would have let them go with Rare. They didn't though.... they kept them. I just think Nintendo didn't think they would be such a big deal. Now they're seeing that's false.

K. Rool was given a shout out in a main Mario game with his street name in Odyssey.... a MAIN Mario game not a spinoff... clearly if Nintendo chose his name to grace those streets along with the other Kongs and animal buddies they don't hate him or are trying to forget him. Plus that mention comes to us in a post ballot and Mii costume world.

So again were getting more mentions and sightings of him now then we have for almost a decade. Because we're being heard.

Now is that enough to get him in Smash? Should be. Other characters have gotten in on much less.

He's a main villain of a main Nintendo first party series that has huge moveset potential, a big fan following and a lot of requests. He's been requested since Brawl, he's shown up on almost every top 10 list I've seen. The want is clearly there.

Size a problem? It's been proven it's not.

Relevance? If relevance is still an issue after all the voting, Mii outfit, street sign and popularity is taken into account then that's just pure dislike to adding him at that point...

Could Dixie ruin his chances? No. Why should she? Plenty of characters from the same series have gotten in at the same time.

Pokemon
Fire Emblem
Mario
Zelda

Are all IPs that have gotten multiple reps at one time in a past game so why shouldn't DK. Brawl saw the aftermath of the Rare era and all we got was Diddy. Smash 4 came out when DK was just coming back from its hiatus again Diddy and DK were the only prominent Kongs. True Tropical Freeze was in development at the time but we don't know what communication Sakurai did or didn't have with Retro to make Dixie a real possibility. Now we have the next one, DK has had 2 stellar games (possibly a new one on the way depending on what Retro is doing) and DKs arch nemesis is having a resurgence abliet a small one despite his absence.

I'm feeling really good about K. Rools chances in this new one. If he doesnt get his shot then I atleast expect him to return to his home series very soon.

D

Deleted member

Are we discussing personas?
I've actually thought about it a while back, so how about Sir K. Rool of Kremalot?
Would be a nice contrast to the eastern style of Bowser's Kingdom in Mario Odyssey.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So, what tilts and smashes do you find fitting for the King?
I feel the Games leave a lot to the Imagination in that departement, however his bulky physique and Reptilian anatomy can fill that void quite nicely.

I am talking claw swipes and tail attacks of course (IF he has the latter), but also the „death roll „ famous of Alligators, Belly thrusts and Flops.

Oh, and I may get roasted for suggesting this, but „playing dead“ sounds like a down B counter to me

D

Deleted member

I feel the Games leave a lot to the Imagination in that departement, however his bulky physique and Reptilian anatomy can fill that void quite nicely.

I am talking claw swipes and tail attacks of course (IF he has the latter), but also the „death roll „ famous of Alligators, Belly thrusts and Flops.

Oh, and I may get roasted for suggesting this, but „playing dead“ sounds like a down B counter to me
He should use Kutlass' attack for his Dash attack but with just one sword.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552

I did a thing in photoshop three days ago. Been doing a co-op competition run-through of the original DKC trilogy with my mum as a pre-cursor to maybe...finally having this big guy in Smash.

I figured you guys would like it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I did a thing in photoshop three days ago. Been doing a co-op competition run-through of the original DKC trilogy with my mum as a pre-cursor to maybe...finally having this big guy in Smash.

Like it? I don’t like it at all.

I love it!!! Good work on it!

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
All this positive talk has got me sucked right back in to thinking he really does have a shot again. I never stopped believing until the end of Smash 4. All my friends think hes not going to appear again this time round already but as everyone is pointing out there is certainly a lot of potential for us this time round. Guess we'll have to wait till E3 for any more real news?

Personally I would like him to solely be based on his main king persona and just use elements of the others like the blunderbuss and kopter. Thats just my preference though I mean I'd take him in any form if it means he gets in.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
All this positive talk has got me sucked right back in to thinking he really does have a shot again. I never stopped believing until the end of Smash 4. All my friends think hes not going to appear again this time round already but as everyone is pointing out there is certainly a lot of potential for us this time round. Guess we'll have to wait till E3 for any more real news?

Personally I would like him to solely be based on his main king persona and just use elements of the others like the blunderbuss and kopter. Thats just my preference though I mean I'd take him in any form if it means he gets in.
Everyone I know that plays Smash wonders wtf I'm thinking wanting him in the game as well. Saying things like, "He will never be in it..", "Are you kidding, that character is forgotten.", and "K. Rool isn't even important enough to come back to DK so why Smash?" Yeesh. I guess they *sure showed* me after the ballot.

Then I just ask who they would like in Smash. Typical responses are as follows:

Bomberman
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Sora
Shovel Knight etc.

(I don't mind any of those either, but I guess King K. Rool is a niche character for certain?)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is that Ultra Instinct K.Rool?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

K Rool movesets? This isn't my first rodeo...

I've always wanted K Rool to be a heavyweight with emphasis on traps and projectiles. To that end, I would have his specials based on his moves from DKC1-3, and his tilts using his boxing persona from DK64. For example:

Jab - 3 hit boxing combo from DK64. Quick and not too laggy if cancelled before 3rd hit, but low damage and knockback.

Up Tilt - the big boxing uppercut from DK64. Relatively fast and powerful, but poor range and endlag.

Down Tilt - K Rool swipes the floor in front of him to trip the opponent. Fast and good cooldown but poor range.

Forward Tilt - K Rool does a single punch forward, with his glove flying off the end (inspired by his glove boomerangs in DK64). This has great range but relatively poor endlag, and is very weak unless K Rool strikes with his actual fist.

I don't want K Rool to have a counter or a ground pound personally.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Hey, just lending my support for the TRUE king. I'd like to think that seeing his outfit back in Sm4sh could give ya'll more hope for him being in Smash Switch. Here's to hoping RARE ain't gonna be greedy.
Just one thing though... if he's in, I'm gonna riot if he doesn't have his cannon. I like the idea of a big oaf with a projectile. Actually... wouldn't that make him the first to be a big heavy with a projectile? Maybe I'm trippin'.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey, just lending my support for the TRUE king. I'd like to think that seeing his outfit back in Sm4sh could give ya'll more hope for him being in Smash Switch. Here's to hoping RARE ain't gonna be greedy.
Rare has nothing to do with whether or not K. Rool gets in.

StormC

Smash Hero
Eh? I thought Rare owned the guy. Either way, that's even better in that case.
Donkey Kong as a franchise is owned by Nintendo. K. Rool has shown up in numerous post-buyout games, none of them giving Rare a credit.

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone Dixie Kong is being rated in the rate their chances thread, I know we all want the bloodshot eye crocodile in more then anything. But I'm sure a lot of us want not mind Dixie Kong in ether so feel free to give your options on her possible inclusion if you want.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I'll be so frickin' sad if Rabbids get in and K. Rool doesn't. It could happen seeing as for Ubisoft and Bayo it's basically Nintendo's loyalty rewards program.

Wait no, what am I saying? I'll be sad if Rabbids get anything more than a trophy.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'll be so frickin' sad if Rabbids get in and K. Rool doesn't. It could happen seeing as for Ubisoft and Bayo it's basically Nintendo's loyalty rewards program.

Wait no, what am I saying? I'll be sad if Rabbids get anything more than a trophy.
I'll be sad if Rabbids get anything LESS than a trophy. Mario + Rabbids is a great game. sure to become a gem in future years.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Honestly, I do not mind if we get a Rabbid playable, as long as it is created with the Mario x Rabbids Mushroom Kingdom thing in mind, that could be fun! And, to not sidetrack, I don't know how much is known about the DK DLC for that game, but I hope we could see something regarding our King, and the kritters in it, that would be so freaking epic! And, if we got a Rabbid K Rool in that game, I'd so be down having a Rabbid with that costume in Smash, alongside every other, + one without a costume for Nostalgic purposes.

But, is everything of that DLC known?

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I can't see the Rabbids getting in before Rayman especially since they are by extension a part of his franchise. I feel like he deserves it more and a lot of fans would be mad if they got in before him let alone a plethora of other characters

D

Deleted member

I can't see the Rabbids getting in before Rayman especially since they are by extension a part of his franchise. I feel like he deserves it more and a lot of fans would be mad if they got in before him let alone a plethora of other characters
Every fanbase reacts that way when a character gets in before theirs.
Especially this one.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I will have to try and look up if I can find some of my old favorite move sets its been a long time since I've looked at them. I always saw K. Rool as being a heavy ranged/trap/technical/zoning character. With Bowser Jr. kind of taking that slot, might have to have a rethink about his position in the roster as to what type of fighter he might be?

The main thing I've always wanted was his blunderbuss to reflect his DKC2 boss fight. As in the more damage he took (in this case higher percentage) what came out of the blunderbuss changed and got more powerful. So to begin with the cannon balls then spiked cannonballs then the gas clouds. Always liked the added element that it wasn't a defined thing but was based on a chance of happening kinda like DDD's waddledee throw. I get the implications that it would have but always saw him more of a strong but unreliable and chaotic character which I feel suits his personality.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Every fanbase reacts that way when a character gets in before theirs.
Especially this one.
That's certainly true, I still can't see Rabbids getting in over Rayman. That's just me though I'm neutral to both I don't care for either truthfully.

Top Bottom