• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Twilight Princess HD is trending on twitter... Direct soon about it and other games? *cough* *cough* Smash

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The thing I don't like about when people say a game isn't 'real DK' is that most of these people are huge DKC2 fans. DKC2 to me is the least 'DK' of the Rare games because it strays the furthest away from what made DK distinct from other platformers. A huge part of DKC1's charm was the realistic naturalistic environments. The naturalism and the animal buddies is really what gives DK it's identity amongst other platformers.

DKC2 strays away from this because not only does it have a pirate theme, but it also has a darker tone and is more epic. There's nothing wrong with that, I don't have a problem with people thinking it's the best game, but it's a more generic theme and less unique. It just annoys me when people praise DK for it's realistic natural environments, and throw around the term 'true DK' or 'not a real DK game' yet their favourite is the one with the least naturalistic environments.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
A new 3D DK would NEED to have collectibles, but I don't want the tasks to be tedious minigames, I want the tasks to actually involve real platforming. Also, I don't want bananas or banana coins to be collectibles as well. Bananas should just give you extra lives as per usual. (Well, if they go with lives. Maybe bananas can just give you health or something.)

Save barrels should be where you can spawn from and act as warp points (when starting the game you can choose where you go, though), and DK barrels should be back to the way they originally were; giving your second Kong back to you. (However, you can switch Kongs on the fly).
Again Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie had "tedious mini-games and it's part of the reason why so many fans loved them, heck racing the bird lady in glitter gulch mine and cloud cuckoo land(if I'm spelling that right) really put a sore on my fingers. And racing Koopa the Quick in Super Mario 64 was pretty tough too. You need banana coins if you want new moves to learn, as far as the bananas go, I don't remember coins replenishing Mario's health in the original SMB NES games either.

I'm sorry, what save barrels are you talking about? I just recall having to simply press start to the pause screen and just clicking "Save Game". Second Kong, honestly I feel more better if I have at least 3 Kongs total to play as/with but 5 was better, especially in Cardboard K. Rool's boss fight (if you missed then you could kiss that Kong goodbye).

The thing I don't like about when people say a game isn't 'real DK' is that most of these people are huge DKC2 fans. DKC2 to me is the least 'DK' of the Rare games because it strays the furthest away from what made DK distinct from other platformers. A huge part of DKC1's charm was the realistic naturalistic environments. The naturalism and the animal buddies is really what gives DK it's identity amongst other platformers.

DKC2 strays away from this because not only does it have a pirate theme, but it also has a darker tone and is more epic. There's nothing wrong with that, I don't have a problem with people thinking it's the best game, but it's a more generic theme and less unique. It just annoys me when people praise DK for it's realistic natural environments, and throw around the term 'true DK' or 'not a real DK game' yet their favourite is the one with the least naturalistic environments.
For me all the DK games had natural and realistic environments. Now that you mention it, you're right, I only remember Rambi, Squawks, and that glowing Eel in the underwater ship levels being your animal buddies in DKC2. You only used Enguarde once in that game as far as I recall.

I love the pirate theme but I also love the military theme as well. For me they all had a darker tone. Heck DK64 probably has the darkest tone out of all them (I remember being afraid to go in the sunken ship in gloomy galleon because of the hanging skeleton on the walls and the "Get Out!" voice in the aztec desert and crystal caves levels with the temple and rooms) Even Pufftoss made me a little nervous when battling him. And of course let's not forget the whole plot of the game and how K. Rool was like. I agree with you on the rest though, although I like DKC2 also, DKC1 and DK64 are my favorites.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Am I the only person who genuinely wants a DK64 successor with more meaningless collectibles hidden around expansive environments that require tedious tasks to obtain?
Are most people okay with more collectibles centric side objective for fun and more things for completionists to do?
Yes.

Are most people okay with more main collectibles centric objectives that are mandatory for the game's completion?
No.

I agree with this logic btw, and I've 100%'d DK64 I think 2 or 3 times, including recently on the WiiU. That game has simply too many mandatory objectives to be fun for most people. Honestly the main reason I was able to get through it without getting bored is I was crazy sick.
But seriously, I still think these guys are better suited for building up want for the next Smash game. These are the kinds of characters that would build hype ASAP.
The Inklings would be THE NEW CHARACTER in Smash 5. They would be similar to King Dedede, Diddy, and Wario in Brawl, where the buildup is so intense and they're so in. All of those 3 characters made for quite a lot of hype and profits for Brawl.

But yeah, pretty much Inklings are bonafide Nintendo superstars. It's so good to finally see a new Nintendo IP catch fire. It's too bad that the Wonderful 101 didn't get embraced nearly this much though.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Are most people okay with more collectibles centric side objective for fun and more things for completionists to do? Yes.

Are most people okay with more main collectibles centric objectives that are mandatory for the game's completion? No.

I agree with this logic btw, and I've 100%'d DK64 I think 2 or 3 times, including recently on the WiiU. That game has simply too many mandatory objectives to be fun for most people. Honestly the main reason I was able to get through it without getting bored is I was crazy sick.

The Inklings would be THE NEW CHARACTER in Smash 5. They would be similar to King Dedede, Diddy, and Wario in Brawl, where the buildup is so intense and they're so in. All of those 3 characters made for quite a lot of hype and profits for Brawl.

But yeah, pretty much Inklings are bonafide Nintendo superstars. It's so good to finally see a new Nintendo IP catch fire. It's too bad that the Wonderful 101 didn't get embraced nearly this much though.
The ironic thing is, I've known everyone who has or has had an n64 and played DK64 and most if not all of them enjoyed it. Then I discovered the internet (nevermind Smashboards).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The ironic thing is, I've known everyone who has or has had an n64 and played DK64 and most if not all of them enjoyed it. Then I discovered the internet (nevermind Smashboards).
Well it's kind of an odd game. It's the kind of game made for a particular mood. For instance, the last time I played it, I 100%'d it, because I wanted to do something to make me not make me focus on the fact I was sick.

When I picked it up later, I didn't really want to play it. I remember feeling the same way when I got the game a bit before Christmas when I first got it when it came out. There were a few times I would play it for half a day for two weeks and then there would be months where I didn't even pick up the game.

Why? If you don't feel like collecting stuff, you don't play DK64. It's as simple as that. So much of the game is mundane unless you reallllly want to collect stuff.

That's the kind of stuff that separates it from a similar game in Banjo-Kazooie, which has less of a focus on the collecting (even though there is nearly as much) and more upon exploring and gameplay immersion with the environment.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Honestly? I'm currently having trouble buying the fact that it's the Inklings we're getting. Their too fresh. :laugh:

But seriously, I still think these guys are better suited for building up want for the next Smash game. These are the kinds of characters that would build hype ASAP.
My thoughts exactly.

CardboardedBox

Smash Rookie
When King K gets in, what do you think he'll sound like? They'll probably use something like from Super Mario Sluggers but how cool would it be if he had his voice actor from the DKC TV show?

Unfortunately, I think he'd have some weird animal sound effect, just like Bowser and Dedede. Bowser straight up sounds like Godzilla, and Dedede? I don't even know wtf Dededes sounds are supposed to be. Someone shoving a microphone down their throat? XD

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I dunno why Nintendo is so adamant in pretending that the Wii version of Twilight Princess is the real one. It was developed for the Gamecube, and that version is far superior. No waggle.
It's not because of that; it's because they don't want to use the GameCube controller again for anything but Smash apparently. And they would feel like they have to in order to use the GameCube port.

Sad, because not only is the GameCube controls better than the Wii controls (unless they upgraded them and allowed for left-handed play; as a lefty, I want it!), but the Pro Controller for that game would probably be a lot better than even the GameCube controller.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Well it's kind of an odd game. It's the kind of game made for a particular mood. For instance, the last time I played it, I 100%'d it, because I wanted to do something to make me not make me focus on the fact I was sick.

When I picked it up later, I didn't really want to play it. I remember feeling the same way when I got the game a bit before Christmas when I first got it when it came out. There were a few times I would play it for half a day for two weeks and then there would be months where I didn't even pick up the game.

Why? If you don't feel like collecting stuff, you don't play DK64. It's as simple as that. So much of the game is mundane unless you reallllly want to collect stuff.

That's the kind of stuff that separates it from a similar game in Banjo-Kazooie, which has less of a focus on the collecting (even though there is nearly as much) and more upon exploring and gameplay immersion with the environment.
See, that's what kinda contradicts it right there. How so? they all feel the same to me.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
and Dedede? I don't even know wtf Dededes sounds are supposed to be. Someone shoving a microphone down their throat? XD
Dedede's sounds have been run through a filter to make the clips sound like a Little Blue Penguin, which is what he is (as readily evidenced by his hooked beak, forward-leaning run, lack of facial/head markings, and diminutive stature - canonically he's 16 inches tall - all of which are unique to this particular species of penguin alone). ;)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sad, because not only is the GameCube controls better than the Wii controls (unless they upgraded them and allowed for left-handed play; as a lefty, I want it!)
You and me both. None of my friends understand why I'm so pissed that they took that away from Link. I never even got Skyward Sword because of that - I'd have loved to play with a motion-control sword, but it's hard enough to play Wii games when I'm using the joystick in the wrong hand so I can swing with the left to not have any of that match the character. They should have given us the option, at least. They did in Wii Sports...

I don't even know wtf Dededes sounds are supposed to be. Someone shoving a microphone down their throat? XD
...doesn't Sakurai voice Dedede? I guess someone went in while he was recording and shoved the mic down his throat in retaliation for not including Ridley or K.Rool. Maybe that's why he doesn't want them in.

So now that today's a bust, when's the next date we can all hype ourselves up for a Direct and end up disappointed?

CardboardedBox

Smash Rookie
Dedede's sounds have been run through a filter to make the clips sound like a Little Blue Penguin, which is what he is (as readily evidenced by his hooked beak, forward-leaning run, lack of facial/head markings, and diminutive stature - canonically he's 16 inches tall - all of which are unique to this particular species of penguin alone). ;)

Huh. I didn't know he was so small. Which is weird because I know how small Kirby really is....So...in comparison, I guess that would make sense : l

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't care what it takes, I just want a DK64 sucessor. Heck, I want it to include the dark theme the original had. Still, does anyone have the GET OUT!! soundclip? I'd like to hear it...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
THANK YOU! I was LOOKING for that for my Konquest stage. I was trying to record it off of something else, but it wasn't working very well with the timing. Having it start at GET OUT should make it a lot easier to hopefully try and record it.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
THANK YOU! I was LOOKING for that for my Konquest stage. I was trying to record it off of something else, but it wasn't working very well with the timing. Having it start at GET OUT should make it a lot easier to hopefully try and record it.
No problem, I can't wait to play your stage when it's finished. :)
Next time Gadget, next time!
Kinda makes me wonder if the guy who voiced Dr. Claw was hired for this part of the game haha.
Loved DK64, but that scared the **** out of me when I was a little kid. Never went back into that building in Angry Aztec.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one haha.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You and me both. None of my friends understand why I'm so pissed that they took that away from Link. I never even got Skyward Sword because of that - I'd have loved to play with a motion-control sword, but it's hard enough to play Wii games when I'm using the joystick in the wrong hand so I can swing with the left to not have any of that match the character. They should have given us the option, at least. They did in Wii Sports...
Fortunately for me I have qualities of an Ambidextrous person (the reason I'm not is I'm missing a wristbone or two due to complications at birth in my right wrist), but playing Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword hours on end really hurts my wrists because of that.

It's really weird, because for a series made by a lefty in Shigeru Miyamoto for lefties like you, me, all the American Presidents from Reagan to Obama except the 2nd Bush, Julius Caesar, Benjamin Franklin, Oprah Winfrey, Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Roman Emperor Tiberius, Leonardo daVinci, Babe Ruth, Super Mario, Alexander the Great, Robert DeNiro, Queen Victoria of England, Helen Keller, Ford, H.G. Wells, Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne, French Leader Napoleon Bonaparte, Ross Perot, Pablo Picasso, Steve Forbes, Michelangelo, Jimi Hendrix, Joan of Arc, Pharaoh Ramsey II of Egypt, Buzz Aldrin, Bob Dylan, and Marie Curie to openly basically push aside lefties was pretty disappointing.
See, that's what kinda contradicts it right there. How so? they all feel the same to me.
To sum it up, it is a game I only feel like ever even thinking about playing once ever blue moon, and only ever want to play even less often.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Kinda makes me wonder if the guy who voiced Dr. Claw was hired for this part of the game haha.
Funny that you mention that voice actor in relation to Donkey Kong: The voice of Doctor Claw was also Donkey Kong Junior on an old show called "Saturday Supercade" (As well as a crapload of other roles, like the original Megatron from Transformers and Fred from Scooby-Doo)

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
To sum it up, it is a game I only feel like ever even thinking about playing once ever blue moon, and only ever want to play even less often.
Oh well, 2 each his own I suppose.
Funny that you mention that voice actor in relation to Donkey Kong: The voice of Doctor Claw was also Donkey Kong Junior on an old show called "Saturday Supercade" (As well as a crapload of other roles, like the original Megatron from Transformers and Fred from Scooby-Doo)
Really? I didn't know that, pretty cool.

petrichorcandle

Smash Cadet
Not trying to be a negative norbet, but the fact that we haven't received any news whatsoever thus far is really off putting. I genuinely feel less hyped than I did a month ago. I will still be excited if K.Rool Klaims the throne, but honestly what harm would it have done to Nintendo if they simply gave fans an indication of when to expect news before the ballot ended. Someone needs to sack the hype-generating team. If we get an announcement of a direct sometime later this week then maybe I'll retract my statement, but at the moment this long wait has drained all my energy. Surely it wouldn't take a genius marketing director to realise a brief stroll through some of the most dedicated smash forums, such as smashbaords, would be extremely appropriate right now if they haven't already. Are they not aware of the extent of the online community and our growing impatience?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So according to the leaks, the reason why the character is 'not from the ballot' is because they'd be completed too soon after the ballot closed? If they're talking about being ready a couple of weeks after it closed, then this character could have easily been a response to the ballot in the early weeks. That's what I always imagined was their plan anyway.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
Fortunately for me I have qualities of an Ambidextrous person (the reason I'm not is I'm missing a wristbone or two due to complications at birth in my right wrist), but playing Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword hours on end really hurts my wrists because of that.

It's really weird, because for a series made by a lefty in Shigeru Miyamoto for lefties like you, me, all the American Presidents from Reagan to Obama except the 2nd Bush, Julius Caesar, Benjamin Franklin, Oprah Winfrey, Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Roman Emperor Tiberius, Leonardo daVinci, Babe Ruth, Super Mario, Alexander the Great, Robert DeNiro, Queen Victoria of England, Helen Keller, Ford, H.G. Wells, Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne, French Leader Napoleon Bonaparte, Ross Perot, Pablo Picasso, Steve Forbes, Michelangelo, Jimi Hendrix, Joan of Arc, Pharaoh Ramsey II of Egypt, Buzz Aldrin, Bob Dylan, and Marie Curie to openly basically push aside lefties was pretty disappointing.
I'm guessing you dug most of those names out of those "x people who were y" lists that are all over the internet. Many of those names were either simply right-handed (like Picasso) or have very little evidence regarding their handedness usually based on limited anecdotal evidence (like most of the historical names).

The only thing DKC2 improved on to me were the bosses, other then that I still prefer the original more. I do agree about TF though, thought it was better than DKCR.
Each to their own :)

I felt that DKC2 really expanded(ha!) on the originaland improved tenfold in terms of the bonus levels, level layout, animal buddies,soundtrack etc.

I like DKC, but for me it's the weaker of the original trilogy but that isn't a bad thing, I just felt the other 2 brought more to the plate and felt more varied.

DK64 for me was a bit above average. K. Rool really shines in it and that's a big positive.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I felt that DKC2 really expanded(ha!) on the originaland improved tenfold in terms of the bonus levels, level layout, animal buddies,soundtrack etc.

I like DKC, but for me it's the weaker of the original trilogy but that isn't a bad thing, I just felt the other 2 brought more to the plate and felt more varied.

DK64 for me was a bit above average. K. Rool really shines in it and that's a big positive.
I have to agree, DKC2 greatly expanded on the original. I also think DKC3 expanded on DKC2 in some ways, but it messed up in others. Still love both of them, love the original too, but its not as amazing as 2/3. But all three are still amazing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously, if there's no DKC character as a DLC this time around am seriously gonna be worried about the future of both Smash and DKC. If after 4 installments Donkey Kong Country is only represented by DK, Diddy and Level 1 the Jungle Stage then this is a SERIOUS problem. DKC isn't being taken as seriously as just about any other Nintendo franchise. And it's so weird to, because Returns counts as big as a revival as FE Awakening and KI Uprising.

Smash seriously needs to address it's core franchises which it started with, and not just update the Mario and Pokémon rosters, who ironically already had way more representation in the first game... So far, I feel only StarFox, Mother and Kirby qualify for being well represented. And if StarFox's case, they even cut off a character from this good balanced cast of Fox, Falco, Wolf. And Lucas had to be added as DLC in order for Mother to be well represented, same case as StarFox basically.

Even Zelda is weirdly represented as if Ocarina of Time is the ONLY game in the series that matters... Same case as ours basically, but overly glorified thus not as noticable. Nobody cares about Zelda outside of OOT remakes it seems. OOT HD remake for Nintendo NX confirmed? Am guessing it's a 50 / 50 case ...

Seriously, I never could've expected that the Return of a great franchise as Donkey Kong Country would be treated by Nintendo like... This... There's a massive outcry for the series to return to it's former glory, but best we're getting are still stupid cameo appearances of games that have nothing to do with DK in the first place...

Luckily I can still play as a separate Diddy Kong in Smash......

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Devil's advocate: Donkey Kong Country Returns is a very "safe" revival.

By that I mean it's a clear homage to the early days of DKC, an intentional throwback to its roots rather than a brand new chapter for DK and friends. Even the title "Returns" suggests that it's a reestablishment of the DKC formula and its place in popular culture, rather than an attempt to try something new. This is understandable, considering Retro evidently wanted to create a foundation for their future titles, rather than try to reintroduce DKC with something totally different.

To that end, there isn't much to draw from in terms of characters or settings. The only iconic characters are DK and Diddy, the protagonists of the original DKC: there's no Dixie or Cranky, no K. Rool or Kremlings, even the allies (with the exception of Rambi) are generic, unnamed animals and the villains stock baddies devoid of distinct personality. The setting itself is a pretty typical pastiche of jungles, rivers, mountains, volcanoes - things we've seen before, jazzed up with a "tribal" motif to hammer home the point that THIS IS DONKEY KONG, DONKEY KONG IS JUNGLEY. I can see why, if Sakurai drew inspiration from this game in particular, there isn't that much new to inspire him. Yeah, he could have picked out a river stage or a volcano stage instead of Generic Jungle Stage #529, but if he didn't do that based on the other DKC games, I don't think this'd make him change his stance either.

Tropical Freeze, on the other hand, is a totally new experience. Having found their feet with Returns, you can see Retro's willingness to push the boat (hee hee) out and try something different: more characters, new abilities, bigger worlds, more dynamic enemies, everything is definitively Retro's own creation, rather than a pastiche of Rare-era trinkets with a shiny new coat of paint. There's a ton of content to draw from in this game: you've got the return of Dixie and Cranky, vibrant worlds (the first of which isn't a jungle, so Sakurai can't pull the "I only played the first stage" trick this time), enemies with good personalities and a clear distinction that this is the way Retro wants to go. They've constructed their scaffolding with Returns, now they've put on the brick and mortar with Tropical Freeze. If Sakurai had played this game, I don't doubt he'd be inspired to try something different in Smash.

The thing is...he evidently didn't play it, or at least not before he drafted the basic concept for Smash 4. We managed to get some music tracks and trophies in Smash, so he was familiar with the game during Smash 4's development cycle, but evidently with just enough time to jury-rig some basic assets from TF and throw them into the game. Most of the "new" DKC content in Smash 4 is based on Returns, which didn't have new characters or much that really set the world on fire in terms of innovative content fitting for Smash. Tropical Freeze had plenty of good content, but the timeframe evidently didn't work out. It's possible that Sakurai could have contacted Retro to see if they were working on a new DKC game, but he either didn't think of it when he was drafting the base roster, wasn't told to by Nintendo or was actively told not to bother by Nintendo or there was an error in communication somewhere that meant he didn't get to contact them. Considering Sakurai tends to be quite insular with respect to the Japanese side of Nintendo rather than the US side, it doesn't surprise me that he either didn't want to or didn't think to contact Retro, a US subsidiary of Nintendo, or there was difficulty in doing just that. We don't know why it happened or why it didn't. We can, at best, speculate. The point is that it didn't happen, so Sakurai evidently decided that there wasn't enough from Returns to draw from and, in his ignorance of TF's development, decided not to consider other DKC characters in Smash (that we know of: it's possible that characters were considered, but rejected for technical reasons).

So why didn't he add Dixie or K. Rool in Smash 4? There's no real reason not to, beyond a brief absence from their home series (which, even so, was absent prior to its return to the mainstream with Returns). My own opinion is that it comes down to how Sakurai considers characters: he says that characters that originate in a series "that has no future" will be deemed lower priority than others who originate from a "healthy" (my own term, not quoted from Sakurai) series. We know that DKC had a future, since Retro revived it with Returns and there was very good reason to believe they'd keep going with it beyond that (you don't title a game "Returns" if you don't intend for that "return" to mean something); however, we don't know if Sakurai considered that the characters would have a future. We know now that Dixie was confirmed for Tropical Freeze and that she will probably remain playable in future installments, but when Sakurai was drafting the roster, he evidently didn't know that. Putting to the one side the reasons why he didn't know, the only thing we can say with absolute certainty is that he didn't know Dixie made her own return to the DKC series and therefore had a future. K. Rool is still hanging in the balance, since he missed out on both Returns and TF and some fans have questioned if he will ever return to the series. We have Kensuke Tanabe going on record joking about "no crocodiles", suggesting that he didn't intend to or didn't want to bring back K. Rool in Returns, which may well have carried over to TF. Whether this is due to ignorance, malice or just because the Kremling Kampaign hadn't kicked off in earnest and drawn the attention of Nintendo and Retro, we don't know. For Sakurai, it's possible that this was deemed a sizable roadblock for K. Rool and that consideration of the character in Smash would wait until he made his return in DKC. Why this is the case when he's still considered "DK's Bowser" in his Smash 4 trophy, despite his absence, I don't know. Maybe Sakurai just prioritises characters he thinks people will be interested in right now, maybe he didn't think about K. Rool when he was drafting the roster, maybe he or somebody in the higher ranks of Nintendo really does dislike the character. Nobody knows. It's a damn shame, but that's the way it is. Sakurai has very high standards when it comes to Smash newcomers, so he evidently didn't decide Dixie or K. Rool were worth it, which is why we're in the position we're in.

I don't doubt Dixie will be considered for Smash: if not now, then definitely in the next game, if she continues to do her thing in DKC. K. Rool, on the other hand, is trickier to pin down: if he returns in the next DKC game, then I reckon his chances of being in Smash will skyrocket. Yet most of us don't want to wait for the next game. We've been offered a chance to make our voices heard and to demonstrate that, if Sakurai won't listen to us directly, we'll make him listen. If Retro won't bring back K. Rool of their own volition, we'll tell them it's what we, the fans, want. That's why the ballot is so important and why, even if we don't get K. Rool this time, we will have done something incredible to bring him back where he belongs. The next DKC game could very well make or break K. Rool as a character, both in and beyond Smash. Sakurai (or whomever might potentially replace him) will consider that for the next Smash, so if we don't get K. Rool in Smash 4's DLC cycle, we can definitely get him in the next time. Now that Returns has helped DK and friends reclaim their banana-scented throne, it's up to us to tell Retro exactly how we want the next game to go, and in turn determine how DKC will be viewed both in Smash and in respect to Nintendo's own canon. We have a chance to do something great here. Let's do what we can to make the best of the series we love.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Are they not aware of the extent of the online community and our growing impatience?
I am sure they are. Sakurai himself has be induced to horrible amounts of stress just for working on the Smash Games and hoping each one meets expectations. Plus, I believe that Sakurai and his team would like to be done with Smash Brothers for a while.

Personally, I would hate to have to deal with the Smash Brothers fan base. You got the good and the bad with all of the major fan bases rolled up into one.

The Sonic fan base arguing over Sonic's career. The Zelda fan base arguing over which game is the best and timelines. The Mario fan base arguing over 2D Mario vs. 3D Mario. The Metroid fan base arguing over 2D vs. 3D games. I don't even know what to put for the other fan bases.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
The Sonic fan base arguing over Sonic's career. The Zelda fan base arguing over which game is the best and timelines. The Mario fan base arguing over 2D Mario vs. 3D Mario. The Metroid fan base arguing over 2D vs. 3D games. I don't even know what to put for the other fan bases.
The Pokemon fan-base argues over which generation is the best with all of the Gen 1'ers creating a mass outcry over it. I haven't heard anything from the F-Zero or Star Fox fan-bases though.

King K. Rool/ Donkey Kong related subject though, what do you guys think would happen if the DK series were to come back with all of the main characters and settings? What if there was another Donkey Kong tv show? What voice actor do you see voicing King K. Rool? Would you rather have the same voice actors or new people?

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

I just found it very aggravating that you had to collect so many coins and tokens in the levels in order to play those bonus games and saving at Wrinkly's was frustrating after the first time if you didn't have enough coins and how could you? after going through all those hard levels? It's the reason I rebought it on the Wii U virtual console so I could beat it without having to worry about it. Also yes, I know that DK was kidnapped but I missed using him to take out tougher foes like Krusha's (or Kruncha's as they were called in DKC2) as well as slamming them down to get extra bananas. People say you need to have a lot of patience to find every collectible in DK64, I say you need more of it for DKC2 if you want to get all the collectibles so you can unlock the lost world level.

I thought DKC3 was the weaker of the trilogy although I still liked the music and new use of the world map.

Oh well, as said, two each their own.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
What if there was another Donkey Kong tv show? What voice actor do you see voicing King K. Rool? Would you rather have the same voice actors or new people?
I honestly think that the voice-casting in the English version of the DKC TV series was one of its best points (I've never seen the original French version, so I can't comment on that), and feel that they got the vast majority of the characters right in that regard.

In a hypothetical new show, I'd love to see the original voice-actors reprise their roles. If not all of them, then at the very least DK, Diddy, Dixie, and K. Rool's need to return.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just found it very aggravating that you had to collect so many coins and tokens in the levels in order to play those bonus games and saving at Wrinkly's was frustrating after the first time if you didn't have enough coins and how could you? after going through all those hard levels? It's the reason I rebought it on the Wii U virtual console so I could beat it without having to worry about it. Also yes, I know that DK was kidnapped but I missed using him to take out tougher foes like Krusha's (or Kruncha's as they were called in DKC2) as well as slamming them down to get extra bananas. People say you need to have a lot of patience to find every collectible in DK64, I say you need more of it for DKC2 if you want to get all the collectibles so you can unlock the lost world level.

I thought DKC3 was the weaker of the trilogy although I still liked the music and new use of the world map.

Oh well, as said, two each their own.
Just get gud at the game man. DKC2 was extremely challenging and full of atmosphere. I still cannot find any game to draw me in as deeply as DKC2. Diddy's Kong Quest to the world yo!

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Am I the only one that didn't like the show as a kid? I remember being excited to watch the Crystal Coconut movie and being incredibly let down because it wasn't really anything like the games. Then the show came out and I was like "wtf is this ****?". That being said, the one thing that really made me not like the show was the fact that K. Rool didn't have a tail. Unforgivable.

Top Bottom