• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Who said they couldn't remedy any flaws in DK64 while making a follow up?

I would rather have something different than ANOTHER 2D platformer.
I agree. I love 2D platformers, and do want Retro to do a third one eventually... but I want them to also expand the DK gameplay and give us a proper, amazing 3D DKC game that Rare failed to live up to. Rare could've done it, but they felt the "need" to create a 3D DK game instead of wanting to do it justice. Retro can pull it off, I know they can.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I agree. I love 2D platformers, and do want Retro to do a third one eventually... but I want them to also expand the DK gameplay and give us a proper, amazing 3D DKC game that Rare failed to live up to. Rare could've done it, but they felt the "need" to create a 3D DK game instead of wanting to do it justice. Retro can pull it off, I know they can.
I love DK64, it has its flaws but it's a fun time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I love DK64, it has its flaws but it's a fun time.
It was fun, but it wasn't amazing. It didn't feel like a real DK game like DKC1-3 were. I want a 3D DK game that feels more like a DKC game, just in three dimensions. I don't mind if they keep the open world aspect (perhaps even improving it), but I don't want the Kongs to get upgrades. I want the "upgrades" to be Animal Buddies, and I hate the whole world feeling like a HUB with everything disconnected and disjointed.

I either want to see everything connected directly, or 3D levels broken down like classic DKC levels. And the gameplay has to be closer to DKC. Give us Animal Buddies to explore, and have every Kong have all the abilities they need from the start. Maybe you have to save the Kongs and Animal Buddies throughout the game, giving you access to more areas to explore gradually, but I don't like the upgrade system, especially since almost everything you got was completely useless except in certain contexts.

I also want to see the Kongs buddy up again in 3D.

Now, not everything can happen, but I want to see Retro do their best.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It was fun, but it wasn't amazing. It didn't feel like a real DK game like DKC1-3 were. I want a 3D DK game that feels more like a DKC game, just in three dimensions. I don't mind if they keep the open world aspect (perhaps even improving it), but I don't want the Kongs to get upgrades. I want the "upgrades" to be Animal Buddies, and I hate the whole world feeling like a HUB with everything disconnected and disjointed.

I either want to see everything connected directly, or 3D levels broken down like classic DKC levels. And the gameplay has to be closer to DKC. Give us Animal Buddies to explore, and have every Kong have all the abilities they need from the start. Maybe you have to save the Kongs and Animal Buddies throughout the game, giving you access to more areas to explore gradually, but I don't like the upgrade system, especially since almost everything you got was completely useless except in certain contexts.

I don't think it lived up to the standard of Banjo Kazooie or Tooie, but I played it through recently and still loved every minute of it. If Retro could do a 3D DK game and style it more like Mario 64/BK then I'd much rather have that next than DKCR3.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman

Okay so if I understood it correctly your leaning towards a linear, more skill based 3D DK game (like the later levels of Super Mario 3D World) than a exploration based game like Banjo-Kazooie?

The 3D World styled game might be necessary in order to keep many elements from DKC, it seems. Even though I prefer the exploration based games, I'd got to admit that this might be the way to go with DK.

I don't think it lived up to the standard of Banjo Kazooie or Tooie, but I played it through recently and still loved every minute of it. If Retro could do a 3D DK game and style it more like Mario 64/BK then I'd much rather have that next than DKCR3.
If they ever dared to do such a game again... :( but yeah, maybe it's possible to combine these games and add challenging (2D) platforming to it. Just cut down the collecting & the amount of playable characters & throw in more animals for smaller segments.

Last edited:

ThePhenomTaker

Smash Cadet
so it turns out it is the inklings however that leak isn't fake it looks too real to me i checked the inkling girl in the background picture it matchs the black mask part on their eyes and the mii costumes don't have that so there ya go real proof also the inkling girl is holding the gun with one hand while the mii gunners hold their gun with two hands to let out an ''forward A attack'' for your information the inkling girl trophy's brown eyes are looking away and the leak is different from it

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
so it turns out it is the inklings however that leak isn't fake it looks too real to me i checked the inkling girl in the background picture it matchs the black mask part on their eyes and the mii costumes don't have that so there ya go real proof also the inkling girl is holding the gun with one hand while the mii gunners hold their gun with two hands to let out an ''forward A attack'' for your information the inkling girl trophy's brown eyes are looking away and the leak is different from it
...You're not serious, are you?

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I mean, there's the fact that Octolings exact ALMOST THE SAME as an Inkling, just that they look different with their models and squid form, and that most hats that they try to wear clip through their Octo Hair. Because of that, Nikki just needed to change the ID of the model to replicate it, and since it's within the same category as Inklings, it's gotta be foreshadowing something.
Also note that the second update made Octolings much easier to access, with minimal modding save for changing a number in the code. Also, the Octoling models have been updated to have new eyes and other features.

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
When King K gets in, what do you think he'll sound like? They'll probably use something like from Super Mario Sluggers but how cool would it be if he had his voice actor from the DKC TV show?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Okay so if I understood it correctly your leaning towards a linear, more skill based 3D DK game (like the later levels of Super Mario 3D World) than a exploration based game like Banjo-Kazooie?

The 3D World styled game might be necessary in order to keep many elements from DKC, it seems. Even though I prefer the exploration based games, I'd got to admit that this might be the way to go with DK.

If they ever dared to do such a game again... :( but yeah, maybe it's possible to combine these games and add challenging (2D) platforming to it. Just cut down the collecting & the amount of playable characters & throw in more animals for smaller segments.
I think it'd be fine either way. I at least want a 3D world-styled game, but I also am interested in seeing an exploration based game that just keeps more elements from DKC. Like, look at the ground pound in DK64. When was that ever useful? For hitting switches, that's it.

Why was jumping on enemies heads in DK64 extremely hard to pull off? Why were the Kongs so slow? What reason do we have for the guns for most characters, they were only useful for hitting switches. Diddy can keep his popguns for firing when in his jetpack, but the jetpack should also have limited range like in Returns (however, it should be able to go a lot higher than in Returns/TF).

I'm fine with the exploration mechanics, but we need to have them rely on Animal Buddies for adding more exploration options instead of useless pointless upgrades that just add more bulk to the game and are hardly useful. But relying more on Kongs and Animal Buddies, and the characters base abilities in the 2D games. I think even an open exploration game can handle the classic DKC formula well as long as the character's abilities are overhauled a bit to compensate for three dimensions. For example, we need rolling jumps to be in a 3D DKC.

The pic in the background is faked, obviously. The Inkling girl in front is CLEARLY a Mii Fighter costume.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Here is a pic I have worked on and off at since release. Just a collage of the fighters and separate splash and shadows that were an attempt to make all of the characters "pop" out, along with a custom Smash Emblem.

View attachment 77762
Really cool.
This really makes you think about the size of the characters. I mean, look at Olimar.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't see the point of RPG statistics in 3D DK. I could maybe see that in Zelda U, and have them add party members to Zelda U who can join you. But not 3D DK.
Upgrades to various things. In DK64 you could upgrade your guns, your health amount, your instruments, and your carrying capacity for that and how many camera film roles, crystal bananas, and orange grenades you could carry.

I would suggest keeping those kind of upgrades around, but focus more on other upgrades like the ones where you get new skills. For instance, Lanky could do handstand walking, and later, with banana crystals, do a handstand sprint. Diddy got the chimp charge. Tiny got the hair twirling move. Chunky got the mega punch. Giving the Kongs things like that + strength, speed, charge, reach/distance, or effectiveness boosts to those is what I am getting at.

That plus slowing the gameplay down a bit compared to DK64, and making a 3D DK game focus a bit more on precision than speed than DK64 would be another positive trend in the more mainstream direction.
Still, in regards to NX, its simply way too earlier. They haven't announce too many games for upcoming years because yes, they are putting a lot of time into development games for NX. The problem is that they need those games to be READY. We only heard about the NX this year, and they've only started just talking to developers about NX this year. There's no time for them to produce games for NX and have them ready by next year. It'd, simply put, be SUICIDE to release the NX next year. Especially if they don't talk about it at all until E3, and ultimately not giving developers enough time to do anything.
Agreed. Not only does Nintendo need to get games ready but the console ready. They're still thinking of making it an equal to the PS4, which in and of itself is a bad move since the PS4 is so far behind the curve.

I think Nintendo really needs to view the NX as the first Gen 9 console rather than an equal to the currently lagging Gen 8 consoles with weak CPU's and GPU's. Nintendo would also be wise to invest in SSD or Hybrid Drive technology of some sort.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Upgrades to various things. In DK64 you could upgrade your guns, your health amount, your instruments, and your carrying capacity for that and how many camera film roles, crystal bananas, and orange grenades you could carry.

I would suggest keeping those kind of upgrades around, but focus more on other upgrades like the ones where you get new skills. For instance, Lanky could do handstand walking, and later, with banana crystals, do a handstand sprint. Diddy got the chimp charge. Tiny got the hair twirling move. Chunky got the mega punch. Giving the Kongs things like that + strength, speed, charge, reach/distance, or effectiveness boosts to those is what I am getting at.

Agreed. Not only does Nintendo need to get games ready but the console ready. They're still thinking of making it an equal to the PS4, which in and of itself is a bad move since the PS4 is so far behind the curve.

I think Nintendo really needs to view the NX as the first Gen 9 console rather than an equal to the currently lagging Gen 8 consoles with weak CPU's and GPU's. Nintendo would also be wise to invest in SSD or Hybrid Drive technology of some sort.
We don't know what Nintendo is trying to make it equal to. Its only speculation. The main issue to consider is: when planning out how powerful it should be, it should take into account when PS4 and X-Box One will get their own successors. 2018 is likely to be around the time they would, if that's the case, the sequel needs to be much more powerful than those consoles, but that would also cause problems with getting the console to sell.

Removing the disc drive and having it as an optional feature is an interesting idea to make it work. If the next handheld is sold as a separate console, but can work as a GamePad, that would also work. The previous GamePad also needs to be compatible with the new console, as well as all Wii accessories. The new GamePad would also need to be sold separately, to keep the cost of the console down as much as possible while still making it a powerhouse.

If it does become a powerhouse, it still probably shouldn't be any more than $100 above the current consoles. However, if its both a powerhouse and has great launch title games, I think it'd do fine. It'd probably do "ok" if its only as powerful as the PS4/X-Box One and has great launch titles, but then the PS4/X-Box One will only surpass it later. It needs to be more powerful than both at LEAST, if not an outright powerhouse.

Which is where the problems with timing really comes into play. Personally, I think the best option would be releasing the handheld NX in 2017 and the console in 2018, and just having one very light year for the Wii U/3DS, but I don't see that happening. I'm positive the console will launch by 2017.

Late the night prior? Pardon me, but what do you mean, exactly?
A Direct announcement has happened late night the day before a Nintendo Direct has happened. It could potentially be announced as late as even 2.5-3 hours from now, but its unlikely. They rarely do that, but they have done it before.

Last edited:

ThePhenomTaker

Smash Cadet
...You're not serious, are you?
nope but i think the picture is all real and none of it being fake i just don't see any fake in there i played as the mii gunner on classic and all stars on wiiu their background picture in the ''congratulations credit'' did not match the leak pic they don't have fox in it

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
nope but i think the picture is all real and none of it being fake i just don't see any fake in there i played as the mii gunner on classic and all stars on wiiu their background picture in the ''congratulations credit'' did not match the leak pic they don't have fox in it
Dude, the background image is obviously faked. The only way a new background image would appear is if the character they are playing as is Inklings, not a Mii with a Mii Fighter costume that's the Inklings. And this is definitely a Mii Fighter costume. They just stripped out an Inkling Girl from a different model and put it over a faked background.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A Direct announcement has happened late night the day before a Nintendo Direct has happened. It could potentially be announced as late as even 2.5-3 hours from now, but its unlikely. They rarely do that, but they have done it before.
If you say so. Still not expecting a Direct to be announced.

ThePhenomTaker

Smash Cadet
I think it'd be fine either way. I at least want a 3D world-styled game, but I also am interested in seeing an exploration based game that just keeps more elements from DKC. Like, look at the ground pound in DK64. When was that ever useful? For hitting switches, that's it.

Why was jumping on enemies heads in DK64 extremely hard to pull off? Why were the Kongs so slow? What reason do we have for the guns for most characters, they were only useful for hitting switches. Diddy can keep his popguns for firing when in his jetpack, but the jetpack should also have limited range like in Returns (however, it should be able to go a lot higher than in Returns/TF).

I'm fine with the exploration mechanics, but we need to have them rely on Animal Buddies for adding more exploration options instead of useless pointless upgrades that just add more bulk to the game and are hardly useful. But relying more on Kongs and Animal Buddies, and the characters base abilities in the 2D games. I think even an open exploration game can handle the classic DKC formula well as long as the character's abilities are overhauled a bit to compensate for three dimensions. For example, we need rolling jumps to be in a 3D DKC.

The pic in the background is faked, obviously. The Inkling girl in front is CLEARLY a Mii Fighter costume.
its not fake i just tested a gunner on classic and all stars on the wiiu version they do not have fox in their background picture during the credits this leak looks real to me

ThePhenomTaker

Smash Cadet
Dude, the background image is obviously faked. The only way a new background image would appear is if the character they are playing as is Inklings, not a Mii with a Mii Fighter costume that's the Inklings. And this is definitely a Mii Fighter costume. They just stripped out an Inkling Girl from a different model and put it over a faked background.
i guess your right it is fake but still what if a splatoon direct happens to have a smash bros related thing to appear only then will you believe its real i'll take your word for it just this once

InsaneHippo

Smash Cadet
i guess your right it is fake but still what if a splatoon direct happens to have a smash bros related thing to appear only then will you believe its real i'll take your word for it just this once
even if the inklings are dlc, that doesnt automatically make this leak legitimate.

ThePhenomTaker

Smash Cadet
even if the inklings are dlc, that doesnt automatically make this leak legitimate.
you think so insanehippo? leaks are just too hard to trust these days all of them turning out to be fake and theres no real proof of it yet someone told me on miiverse that the leak is fake because the lnkling looks short in it

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If you say so. Still not expecting a Direct to be announced.
I don't expect it, either. If we get one its tomorrow.

its not fake i just tested a gunner on classic and all stars on the wiiu version they do not have fox in their background picture during the credits this leak looks real to me
The background picture doesn't matter. What matters is the fact that they used a Mii Fighter for the character jumping around and Mii's don't have that background. Obviously the background is fake. And the text on the splash screen isn't the same font at all, either.

It only makes this leak legit if the exact same render is used for the Inklings.

Replies say that have the face was changed and someone joked that the Inkling jumping around is a Little Mac clone (its not, its a regular Inkling), but the fact is that the head was turned in the same direction as the gun and that's about it.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Honestly? I'm currently having trouble buying the fact that it's the Inklings we're getting. Their too fresh. :laugh:

But seriously, I still think these guys are better suited for building up want for the next Smash game. These are the kinds of characters that would build hype ASAP.

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
Honestly? I'm currently having trouble buying the fact that it's the Inklings we're getting. Their too fresh. :laugh:

But seriously, I still think these guys are better suited for building up want for the next Smash game. These are the kinds of characters that would build hype ASAP.
I agree completely. Also, I absolutely love your avatar and signature. And now...
WELCOME ABOARD! AGAIN!

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We don't know what Nintendo is trying to make it equal to. Its only speculation. The main issue to consider is: when planning out how powerful it should be, it should take into account when PS4 and X-Box One will get their own successors. 2018 is likely to be around the time they would, if that's the case, the sequel needs to be much more powerful than those consoles, but that would also cause problems with getting the console to sell.
The bigger problem is for the price point the tech is already outdated. It took until like 2012 for last gen's tech to get realllly outdated with the Xbox 360 and PS3. We're practically at that point now because the PS4 and Xbox One have upper low end CPU's and GPU's hampering their console. They stuck to last gen AMD vRAM CPU's and GPU's. They paid the price with their console's lifespans and long-term profit lines. These consoles are struggling to get 1080p, and when they do, it's a heavily downgraded form in order to maintain framerate, oftentimes which is already downgraded to 30fps.

Nintendo simply can't release a console on par with that to survive in this home console market. They have an added advantage too since CPU prices have dropped drastically since the release of the PS4 and Xbox One.

There's no reason they can't get a 4.0GHz 8-core CPU for the NX. Those things hover at around $100 now, and continue to drop in price With RAM finally diving in price, they would be wise to hop on more RAM (at least 12GB), as well as likely 4GB vRAM/a very high end 2GB vRam GPU (maybe a GTX 950 or 960). Add in say a 500GB hybrid drive and that's a $400 console now sold at a profit. In 18 months they could do even better, such as maybe DDR4 next gen RAM (which processes memory quicker and with less energy consumption), more RAM (currently 16GB of DDR4 RAM is roughly $100, which is dirt cheap lol; DDR3 is at about $70 now for 16GB), or maybe 1TB of storage memory.

Despite it's incredible technology limitations, the WiiU had some innovative console infrastructure. If the Big N took bits and pieces of that and put it in the NX, they could lower production costs even further without it costing too much performance. Considering how computers get cheaper and cheaper to make, and how CPU, RAM, HDD/hybrid storage drives, and power supply prices keep dropping (and GPU prices are about to drop), there's no reason they can't have a killer $400 console, or a console at $500 that runs games at 1440p.
Removing the disc drive and having it as an optional feature is an interesting idea to make it work.
To do that they'd need at least 1TB of memory though, and Nintendo has been hesitant to invest in good storage amounts. The WiiU has a what? 32GB hard drive in the best model? That's sub-standard for computers a decade ago. I am hesitant to say Nintendo will evolve past that. They'll need 1TB minimum to get away with that in 2017.
If the next handheld is sold as a separate console, but can work as a GamePad, that would also work. The previous GamePad also needs to be compatible with the new console, as well as all Wii accessories. The new GamePad would also need to be sold separately, to keep the cost of the console down as much as possible while still making it a powerhouse.
Honestly having old gamepads and new gamepads would be a brilliant idea. New gamepads could run games at higher definition (which with stronger GPU's makes it easier to run), while old gamepads could still run games fine. Keeping Wiimote and Nunchucks with Wiimote+ technology, GameCube controller support, and the Pro Controller around (along with a new Pro Controller as the standard controller; please have a wired option) would be ideal.
If it does become a powerhouse, it still probably shouldn't be any more than $100 above the current consoles. However, if its both a powerhouse and has great launch title games, I think it'd do fine. It'd probably do "ok" if its only as powerful as the PS4/X-Box One and has great launch titles, but then the PS4/X-Box One will only surpass it later. It needs to be more powerful than both at LEAST, if not an outright powerhouse.
If they're going for a short-term console, then considerably more powerful is good (like 15% better). If not, go 50% stronger in almost every aspect, bar none. The former is achievable at a $300 price point in 2017 EASILY, the latter at a $400 price point. Now if they really wanna go all out and make the first 9th generation console like I suggest, a $450 or $500 price point would work.
IWhich is where the problems with timing really comes into play. Personally, I think the best option would be releasing the handheld NX in 2017 and the console in 2018, and just having one very light year for the Wii U/3DS, but I don't see that happening. I'm positive the console will launch by 2017.
That would be ideal for sure. A handheld NX launch in 2017 would be a great kickstart for the 9th gen for Nintendo. Waiting on the NX until 2018 would allow prices for stuff to get even cheaper, meaning they could, for instance, get quality 4GB vRAM GPU's for a lower price.

That means Nintendo could aim for 1440p gaming at a price point of $450 or $400 rather easily. More importantly the Xbox Two (LMAO) and PS5 wouldn't be more than a bit better without being $600, $700 consoles. There's a cutoff above that for the next level of gaming/PC tech which is quite a bit more expensive. Aside from maybe a build like I suggested with a GTX 980 (the top tier Nvidia 4GB GPU), based on sales forecasting there really isn't much to build for consoles that is in this no man's land between $400 and $600 in 2018.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I agree completely. Also, I absolutely love your avatar and signature. And now...
WELCOME ABOARD!
Oh, why thank you :laugh:. However, to be honest, I've actually been here before (I drop in occasionally, and I did disappear from SmashBoards for a while), and gotten the initiation before. But, hey,I can always enjoy it even still, so thanks :).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The bigger problem is for the price point the tech is already outdated. It took until like 2012 for last gen's tech to get realllly outdated with the Xbox 360 and PS3. We're practically at that point now because the PS4 and Xbox One have upper low end CPU's and GPU's hampering their console. They stuck to last gen AMD vRAM CPU's and GPU's. They paid the price with their console's lifespans and long-term profit lines. These consoles are struggling to get 1080p, and when they do, it's a heavily downgraded form in order to maintain framerate, oftentimes which is already downgraded to 30fps.

Nintendo simply can't release a console on par with that to survive in this home console market. They have an added advantage too since CPU prices have dropped drastically since the release of the PS4 and Xbox One.

There's no reason they can't get a 4.0GHz 8-core CPU for the NX. Those things hover at around $100 now, and continue to drop in price With RAM finally diving in price, they would be wise to hop on more RAM (at least 12GB), as well as likely 4GB vRAM/a very high end 2GB vRam GPU (maybe a GTX 950 or 960). Add in say a 500GB hybrid drive and that's a $400 console now sold at a profit. In 18 months they could do even better, such as maybe DDR4 next gen RAM (which processes memory quicker and with less energy consumption), more RAM (currently 16GB of DDR4 RAM is roughly $100, which is dirt cheap lol; DDR3 is at about $70 now for 16GB), or maybe 1TB of storage memory.

Despite it's incredible technology limitations, the WiiU had some innovative console infrastructure. If the Big N took bits and pieces of that and put it in the NX, they could lower production costs even further without it costing too much performance. Considering how computers get cheaper and cheaper to make, and how CPU, RAM, HDD/hybrid storage drives, and power supply prices keep dropping (and GPU prices are about to drop), there's no reason they can't have a killer $400 console, or a console at $500 that runs games at 1440p.

To do that they'd need at least 1TB of memory though, and Nintendo has been hesitant to invest in good storage amounts. The WiiU has a what? 32GB hard drive in the best model? That's sub-standard for computers a decade ago. I am hesitant to say Nintendo will evolve past that. They'll need 1TB minimum to get away with that in 2017.

Honestly having old gamepads and new gamepads would be a brilliant idea. New gamepads could run games at higher definition (which with stronger GPU's makes it easier to run), while old gamepads could still run games fine. Keeping Wiimote and Nunchucks with Wiimote+ technology, GameCube controller support, and the Pro Controller around (along with a new Pro Controller as the standard controller; please have a wired option) would be ideal.

If they're going for a short-term console, then considerably more powerful is good (like 15% better). If not, go 50% stronger in almost every aspect, bar none. The former is achievable at a $300 price point in 2017 EASILY, the latter at a $400 price point. Now if they really wanna go all out and make the first 9th generation console like I suggest, a $450 or $500 price point would work.

That would be ideal for sure. A handheld NX launch in 2017 would be a great kickstart for the 9th gen for Nintendo. Waiting on the NX until 2018 would allow prices for stuff to get even cheaper, meaning they could, for instance, get quality 4GB vRAM GPU's for a lower price.

That means Nintendo could aim for 1440p gaming at a price point of $450 or $400 rather easily. More importantly the Xbox Two (LMAO) and PS5 wouldn't be more than a bit better without being $600, $700 consoles. There's a cutoff above that for the next level of gaming/PC tech which is quite a bit more expensive. Aside from maybe a build like I suggested with a GTX 980 (the top tier Nvidia 4GB GPU), based on sales forecasting there really isn't much to build for consoles that is in this no man's land between $400 and $600 in 2018.
Oh yeah, my assumption is that Nintendo would HAVE to jump on 1TB. And on that note, they're the last ones I'd expect to go full digital anyway. If they really planned to do that, they'd definitely need to make it 1 TB.

I don't know how they're going to handle it, though. Its going to be difficult to make something significantly stronger and get a good price point, but Nintendo is very good and keeping costs down while innovating. Can they also do that and make a powerhouse console? I'm hoping they can. So far people talking about having seen the console have said they're very impressed with it, but what exactly does that mean?

Its difficult to determine. I think they'd be better off waiting and letting the Wii U's low sales keep slowly crawling up for a couple more years, maybe releasing that updated GamePad as early as next year. But I'm just nervous about how they will handle it. But yes, its true, Nintendo COULD upgrade their architecture significantly and still keep costs low due to costs of the hardware dropping significantly in recent years. Let's just hope they go for it.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Maybe the Big N saw all the rumors and decided to punish us by making us wait another week for the Green Crocodile Man :shyguy:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh yeah, my assumption is that Nintendo would HAVE to jump on 1TB. And on that note, they're the last ones I'd expect to go full digital anyway. If they really planned to do that, they'd definitely need to make it 1 TB.
I'm torn on whether I would want a digital only console or not. In the end it isn't a big deal for me. Regardless, I hope they go for the 1TB drive, especially in a hybrid drive. That way we get faster boot times, faster loading times, and less loading screens, especially on games with tons of data.
I don't know how they're going to handle it, though. Its going to be difficult to make something significantly stronger and get a good price point, but Nintendo is very good and keeping costs down while innovating. Can they also do that and make a powerhouse console? I'm hoping they can. So far people talking about having seen the console have said they're very impressed with it, but what exactly does that mean?
Trust me, they can make a $400 or lower priced console for 2017 or 2018 that can be a solid, reliable, non-inferior 9th gen console.

I built a PC recently with all those benchmarks I mentioned (2GB vRAM GPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 4.0GHz 8-core CPU), and even with 2 GPU's, a SSD, and a traditional hard drive I still got everything in the case for roughly $450. Take away my extra GPU and SSD and that's $280 I spent on it Upgrade the GPU to a 4GB model for another $130 (if you want a mid-tier 4GB GPU), and replace my traditional 1TB hard drive with a hybrid drive for $10 more, and give them a weaker power supply than mine (since I have 2 GPU's, which equals more energy consumption) for $20 less.

This above hypothetical NX model costs $400 to make (for the parts inside, sans any added technology) if my estimates are correct. Such a hypothetical console could run 1440p at my top of the line model, as well as nearly every game at max settings on the market at 1080p. Sure, I bought everything on sale for my comparison model. However, Nintendo is buying in bulk. That equals lower prices. Nintendo is striking deals with these companies and giving them promotions. That equals lower prices. Right now it could easily equal $100 cheaper for the parts. $300 tops right now for the parts inside is pretty good, even excluding the cost of controllers and other technologies.

In 12-24 months, the climb down considerably. I wouldn't be surprised if in 18 months some of this technology was 1/3rd cheaper. That's the cool thing about computers now... everything keeps getting less expensive and more powerful. There are many current technologies that are becoming more standardized that are contributing to this.

This is all very doable for a console making a lot of bucks up front for $450 or $500, or a console making a few bucks up front for $400. And again, this is for my top of the line hypothetical NX model. For any hypothetical build, the pricing is cheaper.

Such a powerful $400 launch console would be just a tad bit more than the NES when adjusted for inflation. How about that?

If I were right in my guess, comparing the NES to the NX would be a jump from 1 Mega HZ to 4 Giga HZ's of CPU, 2 KB's to 16 GB's of RAM, and 2 KB's to 4GB's of vRAM in the GPU. That's quite a jump in not even 35 years. It's almost an unfathomable jump lol.
Its difficult to determine. I think they'd be better off waiting and letting the Wii U's low sales keep slowly crawling up for a couple more years, maybe releasing that updated GamePad as early as next year. But I'm just nervous about how they will handle it. But yes, its true, Nintendo COULD upgrade their architecture significantly and still keep costs low due to costs of the hardware dropping significantly in recent years. Let's just hope they go for it.
Sitting on the WiiU now is not a bad idea. They got a new Animal Crossing game, Xenoblade Chronicles X, a new Yoshi game, and then next year a Star Fox game and a Zelda game that will likely have huge ad campaigns behind them. Oh, and Pikmin 4 too probably. Add in Smash DLC and Splatoon DLC (please add Mario Kart 8 DLC. PLEASE!), and they got enough to at least carry them for 2016. By 2018, Nintendo may sell 25 million WiiU's if they mark down the console price enough.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Am I the only person who genuinely wants a DK64 successor with more meaningless collectibles hidden around expansive environments that require tedious tasks to obtain?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Am I the only person who genuinely wants a DK64 successor with more meaningless collectibles hidden around expansive environments that require tedious tasks to obtain?
No, you're not the only one. We are a minority, though. DK 64 was generally not very well received by the majority of fans from what I remember. However, I think people are beginning to look back on it, since the demand for it to be ported over to the Wii U (and even the Wii) was high and paid off, and we can now play it on the Wii U.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm torn on whether I would want a digital only console or not. In the end it isn't a big deal for me. Regardless, I hope they go for the 1TB drive, especially in a hybrid drive. That way we get faster boot times, faster loading times, and less loading screens, especially on games with tons of data.

Trust me, they can make a $400 or lower priced console for 2017 or 2018 that can be a solid, reliable, non-inferior 9th gen console.

I built a PC recently with all those benchmarks I mentioned (2GB vRAM GPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 4.0GHz 8-core CPU), and even with 2 GPU's, a SSD, and a traditional hard drive I still got everything in the case for roughly $450. Take away my extra GPU and SSD and that's $280 I spent on it Upgrade the GPU to a 4GB model for another $130 (if you want a mid-tier 4GB GPU), and replace my traditional 1TB hard drive with a hybrid drive for $10 more, and give them a weaker power supply than mine (since I have 2 GPU's, which equals more energy consumption) for $20 less.

This above hypothetical NX model costs $400 to make (for the parts inside, sans any added technology) if my estimates are correct. Such a hypothetical console could run 1440p at my top of the line model, as well as nearly every game at max settings on the market at 1080p. Sure, I bought everything on sale for my comparison model. However, Nintendo is buying in bulk. That equals lower prices. Nintendo is striking deals with these companies and giving them promotions. That equals lower prices. Right now it could easily equal $100 cheaper for the parts. $300 tops right now for the parts inside is pretty good, even excluding the cost of controllers and other technologies.

In 12-24 months, the climb down considerably. I wouldn't be surprised if in 18 months some of this technology was 1/3rd cheaper. That's the cool thing about computers now... everything keeps getting less expensive and more powerful. There are many current technologies that are becoming more standardized that are contributing to this.

This is all very doable for a console making a lot of bucks up front for $450 or $500, or a console making a few bucks up front for $400. And again, this is for my top of the line hypothetical NX model. For any hypothetical build, the pricing is cheaper.

Such a powerful $400 launch console would be just a tad bit more than the NES when adjusted for inflation. How about that?

If I were right in my guess, comparing the NES to the NX would be a jump from 1 Mega HZ to 4 Giga HZ's of CPU, 2 KB's to 16 GB's of RAM, and 2 KB's to 4GB's of vRAM in the GPU. That's quite a jump in not even 35 years. It's almost an unfathomable jump lol.

Sitting on the WiiU now is not a bad idea. They got a new Animal Crossing game, Xenoblade Chronicles X, a new Yoshi game, and then next year a Star Fox game and a Zelda game that will likely have huge ad campaigns behind them. Oh, and Pikmin 4 too probably. Add in Smash DLC and Splatoon DLC (please add Mario Kart 8 DLC. PLEASE!), and they got enough to at least carry them for 2016. By 2018, Nintendo may sell 25 million WiiU's if they mark down the console price enough.
The other thing is, if they sit on it, they can produce a few additional games for it as well. Animal Crossing Wii U could be produced fairly easily in time for 2017, and that'd be the hype game of 2017. It could also be an NX launch title, so either way, win-win. By 2017 they might even be able to get a Metroid out and (god forbid) Diddy Kong Racing lol.

It also gives them a bit more time to produce another Zelda for an NX launch. Probably just Skyward Sword HD and Hyrule Warriors 2, but it'd be something at least. Maybe if they reuse assets from Zelda U to produce a new Zelda game, they can have another main Zelda 1-2 years into the NX life cycle instead of waiting forever for it.

A new 3D DK would NEED to have collectibles, but I don't want the tasks to be tedious minigames, I want the tasks to actually involve real platforming. Also, I don't want bananas or banana coins to be collectibles as well. Bananas should just give you extra lives as per usual. (Well, if they go with lives. Maybe bananas can just give you health or something.)

Save barrels should be where you can spawn from and act as warp points (when starting the game you can choose where you go, though), and DK barrels should be back to the way they originally were; giving your second Kong back to you. (However, you can switch Kongs on the fly).

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Everyone here is complaining about the over amount of collectibles in DK64 and saying that their useless and meaningless. I'm pretty sure those upgrades were used for something if you wanted to get through the game. Yes, you did shoot switches in order to progress but let's be honest, what 3-D platformer didn't have that? Heck Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are notorious for having all those certain switches and collectibles (the musical notes, Jiggy's, mumbo skulls in order to get new forms and learning new moves too, at least in BT) in their levels,you still were able to shoot enemies with your guns. I love exploring the open world's too, it's the kind of games nintendo needs more of if they want to keep up with ps4 and $***box1 games. You can ground pound switches too but also ground pound on enemies heads as well (unless it's a rojo or some tougher enemy like that) I could point out the flaws in DKC2 (which for some reason gets revered by everyone) and people would still say it's better than DK64, heck if anything DKC2 had a lot of collecting in it too.

Anyway, 3-D DK platformer that's like or not like DK64, I'd still buy and enjoy the hell out of it.

Top Bottom