• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Can we not take this any further please? I'd rather not have to ignore you, Bowbow.

That, and aside from our reputation for spamming "One of Us" (the uninitiated just don't understand), we try to remain respectable, so let's not pull anything too NSFW in here...

You can tell when someone hasn't seen some of the worst stuff on the Internet...
I've seen plenty worse, unspeakable things on the internet that are legitimately horrible, but people don't come to Smashboards looking for whack **** like that, so it's easy to understand an uneasy reaction, even if it's not "the worst".

We're not running a "post the dankest smut" contest. That's later.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
This thread has gotten oddly sexual as of late o-o

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Isn't K. Rool is basically garunteed at this point? Especially considering that he's scoring the highest ballot votes from all areas?

He also doesn't have the "too big" or "stage hazard" disadvantage like Ridley, and doesn't have the "used for final smash" disadvantage like Chrom has. Not to mention that the costume already has an elaborate texture ready for him.

No worries, at this point. Good luck and good day to all of you.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so after talking behind the scenes with Kupa and the other kutthroats, I've come to the conclusion that's it's K. Rool. Truly, I'm 50/50 on Inklings and Rool. Although to be honest, I'd be fine with Inklings if it meant no SK or Shantae. I understand SK is popular, but he's got one game and is TP, Inklings have one game, sure, but they're at least a Nintendo character. I can respect them for that. Though it will never sit well with me knowing they're inclusion was basically because advertising.

But both characters fit these criteria so well, it's hard to come to a conclusion.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I honestly don't see how Inklings can possibly fall into the category of "hype scale of 8-9".

If he was talking about the general smash community's reaction to the character, I don't see how that would be described as a 8-9. Sure, Inklings name has been brought up before but never in the capacity of "super hype". I feel like the community would be very split on them, and wouldn't totally approve considering they won in over literally every other Nintendo character that exists.

If he was talking about the Nintendo fan base as a whole, I think it becomes even less likely that it can be rated so high. I feel like a prerequisite to being hyped about Inklings is owning Splatoon. Something a large majority of Nintendo fans aren't involved in. Lots of "regular people" reactions to inkling would be "who is that".

If he was talking about his personal rating of the character, then maybe it can be Inklings. However, the way he describes it makes it sound like we would all rate it at a 8-9.

Sorry if I am coming off as anti-Inkling. I was more trying to represent that Inklings aren't a 8-9 on the hype scale for a lot of people.

The only characters I think can fit the parameters of this leak are Isaac and maybe K. Rool.
Respectfully, I disagree with the notion that regular Nintendo fans wouldn't know who the Inklings are. Splatoon is Nintendo's newest IP, an extremely popular game, and something that Nintendo and several gaming websites in general have made sure to hype up at every chance. Simply put, if you've follow or have even heard about the Big N in any fashion for the past year, you know about Splatoon.

And really, let's be serious here... How many non-hardcore Nintendo fans know about Isaac? Not trying to point any fingers here, but Golden Sun has always been pretty niche.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Isn't K. Rool is basically garunteed at this point? Especially considering that he's scoring the highest ballot votes from all areas?

He also doesn't have the "too big" or "stage hazard" disadvantage like Ridley, and doesn't have the "used for final smash" disadvantage like Chrom has. Not to mention that the costume already has an elaborate texture ready for him.

No worries, at this point. Good luck and good day to all of you.
No character is guaranteed at this point. As for scoring the highest in ballot votes from all areas, I have no idea. I did not believe that that data was released. Regardless, there is still the overt chance that Sakurai will discern the most plausible candidate from the top contenders. That may or may not be King K. Rool.

The disadvantage IS the Mii costume. It does not deconfirm him in the slightest, but it is a disadvantage nevertheless.

I am not too worried either. But I do not want to over-estimate his likelihood and end up disappointed.

saltybeach

Smash Journeyman
Respectfully, I disagree with the notion that regular Nintendo fans wouldn't know who the Inklings are. Splatoon is Nintendo's newest IP, an extremely popular game, and something that Nintendo and several gaming websites in general have made sure to hype up at every chance. Simply put, if you've follow or have even heard about the Big N in any fashion for the past year, you know about Splatoon.

And really, let's be serious here... How many non-hardcore Nintendo fans know about Isaac? Not trying to point any fingers here, but Golden Sun has always been pretty niche.
The main idea I was trying to get across was more that Inklings wouldn't be a 8-9 on the hype scale. We can disagree on the relevancy of Inklings to a normal person, but I don't think its logical to say a regular person would be hyped for them in smash. If you described the situation to a normal person I feel like the average reaction would be "They chose them over every other Nintendo character?"

I agree Isaac is a stretch but he fits the criteria better then Inkling in my opinion. K. Rool fits it better if we ignore the "not a front runner", but we can't do that.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
I would rather compare KKR to the other villains from Rareware, since he was born in their family. If it comes to the point, which villain is more evil. I would go with this rank: Nintendo and Rareware:

Rareware Main Villains:
1. Professor von Kripplespac
r
No words can express how much i love that you said this.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
No character is guaranteed at this point. As for scoring the highest in ballot votes from all areas, I have no idea. I did not believe that that data was released. Regardless, there is still the overt chance that Sakurai will discern the most plausible candidate from the top contenders. That may or may not be King K. Rool.

The disadvantage IS the Mii costume. It does not deconfirm him in the slightest, but it is a disadvantage nevertheless.

I am not too worried either. But I do not want to over-estimate his likelihood and end up disappointed.
Very true. Expectations low, so we get happy more and dissapointed less.

At the same time, hasn't he been highly requested for years, even before the ballot came along? I know Sakurai can be an enourmous troll at times, but when he's able to do something to please the fans, he usually tries his hardest. (Bless his overworked heart.)

If he doesn't get it, I say we all make a real Gangplank Galleon, create a statue of our king, then walk the plank.
I'll make you walk the plank to right the wrong ya did!

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
Splatoon is like the second best selling Wii U game, if anyone who knows about the DLC doesn't know who they are, they shouldn't be voting in the first place.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
[Pollinating material]Is that better? I mean there a further pages of that...but I don't think nudity and sex is allowed here x'D
A swarm of bees rapidly pollinate in a Smash Support thread! More at 11.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Considering everything has been thrown into a tizzy of misinformation by the usual potpourri of crazies and skeptics, I figured I'd throw together a simple fact sheet to help clear up confusion in this thread.

What Happened:

--Roger tweeted first, late on Oct. 5, that he received "exciting Nintendo news." He later elaborated that the news was "an 8-9 on a hype scale," "would be coming in the next two weeks," and "we'd know when we see it." He does not mention Smash, but never says it is not Smash-related.

--Stealth tweets later the next morning, saying he knows the next Smash character, that it's coming "soon," clarified as "next two weeks" as well. He says this is a Nintendo newcomer that he doesn't think "won the ballot," but is "the character who makes a whole lot of sense for a whole lot of reasons." He elaborates that this character is "a big deal," is not "a clone or a disappointment" or "shocking." He refuses to comment on the character's gender.

--Stealth made tweets saying "If the character were Shantae, Shovel Knight or Wolf, I'd have hung myself by now," as well as that "the character would have eventually made it into Smash." He later deleted both comments.

--The same afternoon, TheRealZef comments that "Smash is about to make social media go insane" and to "get hype because everyone's about to be happy." He comments that "he hopes it doesn't leak so people can go insane," and that "Stealth isn't the only one who knows about this." He says that "he doesn't think this character won the ballot," but rather than because of the character's identity, he says it's because "otherwise they wouldn't be ready just two weeks after it closed."

--Before clamming up, Zef clarifies that "he doesn't think it can leak unless the person with the info decides to spill" and that all he can say on the matter is "connections with connections." Of note, another guy, Aversy_Tweets, says "he knows and knows Roger knows," but is confident the latter will keep quiet.

--Later still, Roger gets exasperated with fanatics harassing him on Twitter just because of him saying "Cool Nintendo news in two or so weeks," saying "It's cool news, mind you, but the hype drought has made people crazy."

--He makes a facetious post saying "OMG ROGER KNOWS ALL BALLOT WINNERS AND ISN'T TELLING," saying that if he did, that would be a 10/10 for hype. In the process, he favorites a bunch of stuff from Stealth and Zef, who are also laughing at the fan overreaction online.

--All the while, head Smashboards mod Warchamp is making posts to Roger and Stealth, making fun of the fanatics. His jokes are mostly Inkling-related..."HE SAID DROUGHT, DROUGHT = NO WATER, WATER = INKLINGS!"

The Participants:

--Roger worked at Nintendo years ago and runs the Japan Time podcast. He has had his roots in the gaming industry for a long time now, and has undoubtedly made a handful of connections along the way. I've only seen a few of his videos, but Roger is a big fan of Lanky Kong (passively supports "DK Rep" getting in the game), and people have been saying he's a big Inklings fan too (which I haven't heard a source for, but can buy).

--Stealth is a "Video Game Enthusiast" who has made legitimate statements before, about occurrences at a private Splatoon event he got to attend with other big game media names. I don't have the source in front of me, but apparently he spilled that there would be a surprise Nintendo Direct early last April, which there was despite no expectation of one. He has trolled GameFAQs before under the name of RPGrinder, and has posted on Twitter that he voted for "K. Rool, Inklings, Isaac, Malo and Andy."

--I have no idea who this Zef guy is. He has tweeted that "he has never trolled about Smash before if it makes people feel better," but has no credibility to his name that I know of. No idea who he supports

--No idea about this Averys_Tweets guy.

--Warchamp was one of the first people to have access to the ESRB leaked videos before they went viral.

The Bull****:

--LOL ROGER SED IT WUZNT BOUT SMASH: False. He said nothing one way or the other, other than that "the news wasn't Skull Kid getting revealed for HW." Gullible people fell into the trap of Poe's Law in reading his tweet about the Smash fanatics who expect him to be omnipotent where the Smash ballot is concerned.

--LOL STEALTH PIGGIE BAKKED ROGER AND IZ JUST A RANDO TROLL: It is true that Stealth's tweets came after Roger's initial ones about having 8-9 hype-scale news. However, not only were Roger's tweets not some big thing to piggyback off of at the time (this only really blew up after I posted about it in here), but Roger and Stealth seem to be on friendly terms, openly talking about Japan Time and TV Shows on the social network, as well as favoriting each other's stuff. Whether you question his credibility, Stealth is not just some random guy.

--LOL STEALTH HATES K. ROOL SO NO CHANCE IS THIS HIM: False. Stealth said he voted for K. Rool, has defended his costume on GameFAQs and has said that "K. Rool and Isaac are needed to save Smash DLC."

Other Stuff:

--I don't know whether he's trolling here or has changed his opinion since then, but in a thread asking if a list of 5 characters including K. Rool were Top 5 Most Wanted, he said no to all except Isaac. If he's serious, then K. Rool isn't ruled out in his mind by the "this character probably didn't win." None of the tweets I've found from him thus far clarify whether he feels K. Rool is a character who would "eventually get into Smash."

--Warchamp's joking about the Inklings makes me think...if he and all these guys have legitimate info and he's just casually throwing that name around, it's not them. If he were doing this and Inklings was the character, the Nintendo Ninjas would be on him like white on rice.

Will add onto this later if more stuff comes up. I think it's pretty comprehensive as it stands, and I hope it gives people the clarity they need to not run around making s*** up.
Thanks for compiling this! I did want to ask two questions about this.

1)Is there anyway to confirm that Rogersbase did work for Nintendo before?
2)Has Warchamp said anything else about this before, or did he only comment on Roger and Steath's tweets? Also, just curious, why was he privy to the ESRB leak?

Just want to check up on some things. This rumor seems plausible but it would be good to know everyone's credibility and who's involved.

EDIT Actually, do you know the Twitter for the other two (Zef and Aversy_Tweet)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The main idea I was trying to get across was more that Inklings wouldn't be a 8-9 on the hype scale. We can disagree on the relevancy of Inklings to a normal person, but I don't think its logical to say a regular person would be hyped for them in smash. If you described the situation to a normal person I feel like the average reaction would be "They chose them over every other Nintendo character?"

I agree Isaac is a stretch but he fits the criteria better then Inkling in my opinion. K. Rool fits it better if we ignore the "not a front runner", but we can't do that.
To be fair, the sentiment is somewhat subjective. I honestly believed that an average Smasher would be around an eight on some arbitrary hype-scale in regard to Inklings. You made a good argument and I changed my opinion, but if I was that leaker, I would have just made that statement based on my preconceived notions rather than giving it a lot of thought. I feel as though you are just reading to far into his scale without much knowledge of how he would or would not rate something. It was more or less intended to state that the character is a front-runner.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

Depends if the devs decide to keep the "flavor of the month" or "promotion" mentallity for the ballot. That kind of mindset is what got characters like Roy and Lucas in the series in the first place. Then again, they already tried to promote via mii costumes, soo...

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think, if this is all legit (which I have my own doubts about), it's Inkling. K. Rool wouldn't be "shocking", but there is a definite minority (mostly the radical K. Rool haters), so convinced of his irrelevance, that would indeed be surprised to see him get in. I think practically no one would actually be surprised to see Inklings. Yes, there are some of us who don't expect Inkling, but would any of us truly be shocked to see them make it? Inkling is also the perfect example of a character that is guaranteed to show up eventually, regardless of the ballot, due to the massive success of Splatoon as a new first-party IP. K. Rool, not so much. I don't think he's ever going to "eventually make it into Smash" without fan support backing his inclusion (ie, the ballot).

Besides, I will never doubt Nintendo's (or any company's) preference of prioritizing the advertisement of a popular new product over the arbitrary fulfillment of a decade-old fan request, whether or not we take the "fan-service" ballot into consideration.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Space, what are you doing here?!

There are some crazy people around these parts, and not the Social Thread kind...
When the thread calls for chaos and insanity, Space Stranger is there with his quips and reaction images.
When the thread calls for reduction of intelligence, Space Stranger is there with the state-of-the-art memes to kill brain cells.

petrichorcandle

Smash Cadet
I know this is a bit biased since I haven't played splatoon, but to the average gamer they look pretty generic and a bit too mii like. I'm sure I can be proven wrong and that they would have a pretty unique moveset, though I can't say that, aesthetically, they get me too hyped. But the main reason I'd be cheesed is because it is another avenue for cross-promotional advertising - easy money for nintendo. If it came down to K.Rool and Inklinkgs for a newcomer spot, they better not choose inklinks purely based off that. And while I know Inklings are still a popular choice I don't think they're THAT popular (emphasis on think).

Top Bottom