• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think I'm the only one who don't like this render ... like at all. Same scales as Bowser, failed proportions (especially the head) or maybe it's just an effect of the weirdly unfitting pose...
Good rendering skills but otherwise, meh.
Personally I love the render itself, the main thing I dislike is the pose. Its kinda cool, but the pose honestly doesn't fit him that much. I do like the idea of him holding one hand out to the side, but the way I imagined it was him holding the blunderbuss up in his right hand with his left hand outstretched, as if ready to strike.

Personally, I think the scales are what makes this render look so good. The paon renders don't have highly detailed scales like the original Rare renders, and those are what made K. Rool look epic. This is basically an interesting take on the paon model; just take the paon model and make it more highly detailed like the classic Rare models. There's multiple ways to go about designing K. Rool's smash look; trying to mesh them together, going with one model or the other, or taking the paon model and simply making it look better, which is what this one does.

I think its great to try all variants and compare them.

Again, the main thing I dislike is the pose; I do agree that the pose isn't that great, but I love the actual design and texture. And either way, its not really about the pose or render itself, its about the attention its going to get. ArtsyOmni made quite a name for himself with the Rayman leak, and that drew a huge crowd to him for doing additional character renders. It greatly helped the fanbases for Rayman, Shovel Knight, and Banjo and Kazooie for a time. Its nice to see different styles of how K. Rool could look, but in this case its really not about the render, its about who was rendered that's important.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I love the pose. It's pretty unique from the official cast's renders. As stated in the speedpaint video, a lot of Smash 4 renders have similar poses, so to see K. Rool with a more unique posture is a breath of fresh air and helps the render stand out. I also like the dynamism of the pose, and the connotations of sheer weight and raw power it evokes. I always imagined an official render playing up his regal persona more, but I don't think the chosen pose is brutish enough to detract from that aspect of the character. If anything, it makes him appear intelligent and patient, coldly calculating his sinister plan while getting ready to strike at his own volition.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Heyo, I wanted to post here earlier at some point, but was worried about upsetting people. I just wanted to understand K.Rool more and why he gets so much support. Like, I see the moveset potential, I read the front page a few times, but I feel like I just wasn't getting a clear idea of his personality and why people love him so much.

When I hear people suggest K.Rool I usually hear "more villains, more heavy weights, more DK rep" and that's all great but I still didn't understand the character much. Then I commented something similar under the smashified video after praising the great art job and eventually learned:

K.Rool is an cruel, ruthless, spontaneous villain that has been losing his sanity little by little each game. Even his minions fear him and say he treats them poorly. Where Mario and Bowser or Link and Ganon have some kind of grudgeful respect for one another, K.Rool has no respect for anyone. I even hear he used an untested lazer thing that could have killed himself, his minions, destroyed the whole island - to kill the kongs!

You should tell that to anyone else confused by K.Rool cause that right there helped me understand the character and get hype.

So...I think I got a good idea but would like some more detail. I imagine him as a very chaotic high risk-high reward character, people nervous just to see him as a selected character. He'd have a crazy mix of some quick pokes and multi-hits, but also some huge moves with some start-up that may damage himself too, maybe even give himself some knockback, might lead to an insane combo game!
I imagine he must have an absolutely disrespectful spike or shield break...or both. I'm also now seeing him with a similar move to Ganoncide or Bowsercide, but more explosive.

Does this sound accurate or am I describing him totally out of character? What would his taunts and win poses be like? Laughing maniacally or smashing some of his own minions, caught up in the moment?

He seems pretty likely considered the amount of support he gets, so the fact that all this seems kinda likely is hype! And to think this morning I was just curious what all the K.Rool hype was about. Just thought he was a reptilian Dedede from what I'd heard, to be honest.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Heyo, I wanted to post here earlier at some point, but was worried about upsetting people. I just wanted to understand K.Rool more and why he gets so much support. Like, I see the moveset potential, I read the front page a few times, but I feel like I just wasn't getting a clear idea of his personality and why people love him so much.

When I hear people suggest K.Rool I usually hear "more villains, more heavy weights, more DK rep" and that's all great but I still didn't understand the character much. Then I commented something similar under the smashified video after praising the great art job and eventually learned:

K.Rool is an cruel, ruthless, spontaneous villain that has been losing his sanity little by little each game. Even his minions fear him and say he treats them poorly. Where Mario and Bowser or Link and Ganon have some kind of grudgeful respect for one another, K.Rool has no respect for anyone. I even hear he used an untested lazer thing that could have killed himself, his minions, destroyed the whole island - to kill the kongs!

You should tell that to anyone else confused by K.Rool cause that right there helped me understand the character and get hype.

So...I think I got a good idea but would like some more detail. I imagine him as a very chaotic high risk-high reward character, people nervous just to see him as a selected character. He'd have a crazy mix of some quick pokes and multi-hits, but also some huge moves with some start-up that may damage himself too, maybe even give himself some knockback, might lead to an insane combo game!
I imagine he must have an absolutely disrespectful spike or shield break...or both. I'm also now seeing him with a similar move to Ganoncide or Bowsercide, but more explosive.

Does this sound accurate or am I describing him totally out of character? What would his taunts and win poses be like? Laughing maniacally or smashing some of his own minions caught up in the moment?

He seems pretty likely considered the amount of support he gets, so the fact that all this seems kinda likely is hype! And to think this morning I was just curious what all the K.Rool hype was about. Just thought he was a reptilian Dedede from what I'd heard, to be honest.
Basically, yeah, that can pretty much some it up. K. Rool is insane, konniving, and at the same time is just so hilarious in his own insanity. He literally fits the name "K. Rool" to a T, because that's exactly what he is--cruel and unforgiving. After each subsequent defeat he continuously delves more and more into his own madness, which also gives him a lot of charm and personality.

The main issue is, its difficult to understand K. Rool if you haven't played the Donkey Kong Country games.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Does this sound accurate or am I describing him totally out of character? What would his taunts and win poses be like? Laughing maniacally or smashing some of his own minions caught up in the moment?

Glad you felt comfortable stopping by, hopefully this thread will be more accommodating than YouTube was.

To respond to your response on there, yeah, the costume aspect is sometimes interpreted as schizophrenia, but I prefer to see it as fanaticism. He's planning on pirating DK away to his own island? He'll dress up as a pirate captain and order his minions to do the same. He's planning on building a monkeybrain-run robot to take over the world as a puppet leader? He'll dress up as a mad scientist. A lot of people hope he has those costumes in Smash, since they separate him from the other villains who just do the same thing over and over again while he never tries the same plan twice.

@ Korporal K. Reep Korporal K. Reep has a YouTube channel featuring his cutscenes from DK64, where a lot of his best scenes take place.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Glad you felt comfortable stopping by, hopefully this thread will be more accommodating than YouTube was.

To respond to your response on there, yeah, the costume aspect is sometimes interpreted as schizophrenia, but I prefer to see it as fanaticism. He's planning on pirating DK away to his own island? He'll dress up as a pirate captain and order his minions to do the same. He's planning on building a monkeybrain-run robot to take over the world as a puppet leader? He'll dress up as a mad scientist. A lot of people hope he has those costumes in Smash, since they separate him from the other villains who just do the same thing over and over again while he never tries the same plan twice.

@ Korporal K. Reep Korporal K. Reep has a YouTube channel featuring his cutscenes from DK64, where a lot of his best scenes take place.
Oh wow, small world! Thanks for the help! Ah, he's a big fan of theatrics, huh? I guess he's the type to have DK captive, but not kill him yet as he needs everything just right?
Mhm, maybe I'll check those out! I'm in class right now but I'll get to them, I'm pretty curious.
Oh, and I assume if he gets in he must have a custom victory theme, right? Maybe a short remix of the Ship Deck Boss theme?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Just remember guys, you can vote multiple times! Get as many votes in for the guy as you can!
We need Nintendo to know how much we want him!

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool rides the line perfectly of being kool, komedik, and krazy.

Just remember guys, you can vote multiple times! Get as many votes in for the guy as you can!
Let's not encourage this because we have no idea how voting works and they tell us to only vote once.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
While this Smashified K. Rool doesn't use my favorite design, it still looks really awesome and makes me want K. Rool even more. It's great that it's truly a possibility for him to be in Smash. Hopefully it'll work out. :)

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, count me in for being pose-positive. It's a big reason why I love the art so much.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's probably better to go for quality over quantity. They may not chose the most popular character but they will review what everyone wrote and Sakurai will respond to some of them.

CharlieSolark

Smash Cadet
NNID
xXSolarkXx
3DS FC
0259-0796-7972
I made some alts. for our King.
(Sorry, they're kinda sloppy as you can see by the green reflection on his gold bracelets)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you could make one with the golden belly / armor plate, that'd be awesome!

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
If you could make one with the golden belly / armor plate, that'd be awesome!
I would also like to see an altered version of this picture with the gold stomach change. I have a feeling Sakurai will combine the Rare and Paon designs anyway.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
How the hell can you still be alive after recieving such punches from Farquaad D. Donkeh's Gear 4th?
Since that I am love and life at the same time, I can heal myself with the affection that people create around me.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Hey guys, what are some new personas you'd love to see for K. Rool in future DK games? I've got quite a bunch:

1. Sheriff K. Rool (It's obvious me and Omni agree to that idea)
2. Krazy K. Rool (I brought up the evil kremling clown idea a while back and thought that could be an interesting take too)
3. Samurai K. Rool
4. Konquistador K. Rool
5. Kahuna K. Rool
6. Darth K. Rool (imagine a DK game that takes place in outer space, heck the guy who voiced K. Rool in DK64 would be perfect, "DK, I am your Unkle" lol)
7. K. Rooldemort (Who wouldn't find kremlings riding broomsticks amusing? especially a big fat one dressed like a wizard)
8. J.K Rooling (think Hitler)
9. Warden K. Rool (You're in Kremling prison and must now escape him and his kremling goons)
10. Reaper K. Rool

Volaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Volaro
3DS FC
2707-2096-3929
I wholly approve of any rapping that comes with K. Rool. I don't know what it is about that VA, but I love him.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I've always been a fan of the conquistador persona, myself. It fits well, thematically, with K. Rool's goal of conquering DK Island. In battle, exaggerated conquistador weapons could make for an interesting boss fight. You can have a harquebus as a throwback to the blunderbuss in DKC2 and a polearm for attacking from afar without committing to a projectile, a tactic K. Rool hasn't really attempted before.

I also like the idea of the next DKC game bringing back the Tikis and Snowmads as enemies, with K. Rool "secretly" as their leaders in various personas which he changes across the course of the game. He'd be fought as Kahuna K. Rool, Viking K. Rool, and ultimately, his original king persona in the final boss battle.

I wholly approve of any rapping that comes with K. Rool. I don't know what it is about that VA, but I love him.
Or a rapper. A street rapper persona would be hilarious. Attacks include harmful soundwaves produced by a beatbox, freestyle breakdance moves, and spray paint. His baggy pants fall off when he's attacked, causing him to blush while looking at the camera before pulling them back up.

Last edited:

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
I think I know why I love this Smashified art so much aside from it being just awesome.

1) The obvious one. It's up to date with what K. Rool would look like now. All hd-like and detailed with the cape and scales, not to mention really faithful to the source material. It can get pretty depressing going off of 2006 and 2008 artwork from spinoffs as his most recent look.

2) This goes back to an earlier comment I made about how I wanted to see Paon K. Rool take up a major role for once like his old Rare design used too. It may not be official art but seeing the Paon K. Rool look super detailed, threatening and imposing really helps bring out a lot of potential as to how great his design can be. It's like he's just ready to enter Smash Bros which makes him look like a key player again. I love the Paon design but it irked me that it was never used for anything like a major DK game or smash bros yet.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Most renders use K. Rool's default cape outfit, and it disturbs me that we might get a K. Rool that doesn't use the wealth of disguises and tools he uses throughout the series. Part of the appeal of K. Rool is the outfitting he has each time, which was dropped almost immediately after Rare stopped handling the series; he appears in his caped form in DK64 mostly before briefly becoming a boxer, and every other appearance is just cape K. Rool. If you look at what's "relevant" with K. Rool, it's not the absurd guises.

I just don't know if I would want K. Rool in if he doesn't bring his blunderbuss and mad science gear and boxing skills etc.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I don't see a problem with K. Rool, while wearing his King outfit, using the blunderbuss, the helicopter-pack, the boxing gloves or anything from his past Boss Fights.. Just like any other character in Smash, the logic of being able to take off your weapons and accessories just for one attack/animation, wouldn't feel weird; It's just a cartoony character doing cartoon things. =P

--also, in the case of his other portrayals being his Alt. Costumes, all and any conflict would end in a second. =P

ps: I prefer his King persona, personally.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I've always been a fan of the conquistador persona, myself. It fits well, thematically, with K. Rool's goal of conquering DK Island. In battle, exaggerated conquistador weapons could make for an interesting boss fight. You can have a harquebus as a throwback to the blunderbuss in DKC2 and a polearm for attacking from afar without committing to a projectile, a tactic K. Rool hasn't really attempted before.

I also like the idea of the next DKC game bringing back the Tikis and Snowmads as enemies, with K. Rool "secretly" as their leaders in various personas which he changes across the course of the game. He'd be fought as Kahuna K. Rool, Viking K. Rool, and ultimately, his original king persona in the final boss battle.

Or a rapper. A street rapper persona would be hilarious. Attacks include harmful soundwaves produced by a beatbox, freestyle breakdance moves, and spray paint. His baggy pants fall off when he's attacked, causing him to blush while looking at the camera before pulling them back up.
DJ K. Rool xD

Burruni

Smash Hero
>People taking me suggesting something from the CGI cartoon seriously

Are you guys Krocking out of your minds off the high of this render? xD

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
>People taking me suggesting something from the CGI cartoon seriously

Are you guys Krocking out of your minds off the high of this render? xD
You're aware that our tradition for the past few years has been posting "One of Us" every. single. time a new user enters the thread and announces support for K. Rool? :p

Burruni

Smash Hero
You're aware that our tradition for the past few years has been posting "One of Us" every. single. time a new user enters the thread and announces support for K. Rool? :p
To be fair I'm more of the party of "I expect K. Rool, believe he deserves it, and respect his fans more than quite a few other major groups," instead of being a vocal supporter so I haven't been around too much =P

Top Bottom