• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

NintendoAlike

Smash Cadet
-Check
-Check
-Check
-Gotta Do
-Defintley Check.

Pretty good nonetheless.
This is pretty good because we do have one of the big ones(Retro) following our kampaign and the only thing we need to work on is kampaign posters (I'm working on some posters to tweet) but otherwise I am 99.9% sure that K. Rool is possibly Smash DLC and inevitably going to be the final boss in the upcoming DKCR3.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This is pretty good because we do have one of the big ones(Retro) following our kampaign and the only thing we need to work on is kampaign posters (I'm working on some posters to tweet) but otherwise I am 99.9% sure that K. Rool is possibly Smash DLC and inevitably going to be the final boss in the upcoming DKCR3.
I know that the odds are heavily rigged tipped in KKR's favor, but that's kind of optimistic, saying that he's Smash DLC at this point.

I mean, sure, I'd like it to happen too, but still.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We have no real, concrete reason to expect King K.Rool in Smash any time soon. I'll admit that. But we might get something even bigger: getting King K.Rool back in his propper place, which is Donkey Kong Country. And I think that that's even better! The main reason why most of us wanted King K.Rool in Smash is for this to happen, or vice versa.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Wow! That's awesome that Retro Studios knows of the want for him and followed the Kremling Kampaigner account on Twitter. Perhaps sometime in the next year or so we will see K. Rool return!

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
With a lot of good news from the direct and a lot more we don't know about yet, 2015 is looking fantastic for Nintendo. I have my head held high for K. Rool's inevitable return and I think his chances in Smash have increased somehow. Nintendo has been listening to fans constantly for the past few years, so I don't think they are going to ignore us anymore (now if only we could get Mother 3...) :p

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This is wonderful news!

I'm so glad to be a part of this krew at this moment, I'm just krazy with glee, ahaha~

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Aaaaaand that account just followed @BringBackKRool too. It's so exciting just turning on your phone and seeing that as a notification, knowing that the wizards behind some of your all-time favorite games are reading what you, personally, have written.
Right that does it...I can't keep dallying on this. I need to get this thing finished and online ASAP! I'm too fricking lazy...

It's been a while (if at all) since I asked @ BKupa666 BKupa666 but I wanted to have something on the bottom to show that this was made for the campaign. Do you have any suggestions/desires? Like Twitter, hashtag, website...? All three?

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Left eye needs some blood.
But otherwise, looks great!

Oh, and I've just discovered that mod that Tabuu is doing. That model is rough, but not too bad with the animations, though it needs some polish.

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Left eye needs some blood.
But otherwise, looks great!

Oh, and I've just discovered that mod that Tabuu is doing. That model is rough, but not too bad with the animations, though it needs some polish.
Thanks! I know about the eyes- I'm still finishing the main picture so it'll be rectified. (Heck, he doesn't even have the belly button yet!) I want to get the face skin shades consistent first.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Right that does it...I can't keep dallying on this. I need to get this thing finished and online ASAP! I'm too fricking lazy...

It's been a while (if at all) since I asked @ BKupa666 BKupa666 but I wanted to have something on the bottom to show that this was made for the campaign. Do you have any suggestions/desires? Like Twitter, hashtag, website...? All three?
Like Jurae818 said, K. Rool's right eye needs to be more bloodshot and also, in this case it's understandable since K. Rool is sitting down but I think that poor kritter that he's resting his legs on should at least have his tail. Other than that though, I also think it looks awesome.

Also here's some more photos from smash run and miiverse.
006.JPG

dkc4.png

dkcr3.png

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I'd definitely put the #BringBackKRool hashtag on there. . .whether you want to put the Twitter account or website name on there is up to you. It's your work of art, so you have the best sense as to what works and what's too cluttered.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
we don't talk about this often but what do you guys think the kritters would look like in the new dkc game, do you think they will look more paon, more rare or a litttle bit of both, personally i think i would rather the paon design, they fit in more with retros dkc world

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am hoping for less cartoonish design for the next DKCR. Something outstanding for a platform game that would remind us of how the Rare DKCs did it. I hope for Rare's designs but updated, and more buff looking. I want the Kongs, especially :4dk: and :4diddy: to have more abilities. And :4diddy: being able to be a lead Kong to. :4dk: needs to either have more health than all other Kongs, or do double "damage" against enemies, killing heavier enemies earlier than the other Kongs.

Since Tropical Freeze already did the half 3D / half 2D platforming thing, maybe they could explore this further. Am thinking a sort of Kong vs Kremling fights in the style of Jungle Beat. I wouldn't mind if they took inspiration from the WHOLE series! Most noticable games : Arcade, DK Jr., all Rare DKCs, Donkey Kong Land and DK64, Jungle Beat and DK Jungle Climber.

King K.Rool should also appear intimidating, and try to crush you many times throughout the story. Boss battles also should be more explored, and I want other ways of attacking besides roll, shoot, ground pound or jump. Some grab attack maybe that allows for a 'finishing move'.

Am really hoping Retros next project is DKCR.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
If we are going by returns and tropical freeze enmies. Then normal knitters and klaptraps will be the ones that are easy one hit goons. Klump and krusha could be the 3 hit ones but going on what Diddy Kong said before it should take one jump for DK like the original games and three for diddy like returns. The flying enemy could be kloak to add some kremlings other than reptiles. The bouncing enemy similar to the frog could be recoil and the enemy that is hidden in the silhouette levels similar to the bushes could be kremrock

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It is really exciting to be a part of this whole campaign. There are plenty of things worth fighting for in life, but it certainly feels often that when faced with corporate adversity the chances of actually making any headway seem nil. While we have nothing surely happening yet, it is definitely encouraging as an activist to feel the composer, the creators, and then the company itself follow the work everyone here has put up.

#ThisIsWhyThisThreadIsTheBest
#ThisIsWhyKRoolIsTheMostBeloved
#ThePowerIsYours

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I honestly want a followup to DK64 more than I want a new DKCR.
I love the side scrollers, but the full world explorationals were absolutely the number one.
And I believe Retro can do it.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I honestly want a followup to DK64 more than I want a new DKCR.
I love the side scrollers, but the full world explorationals were absolutely the number one.
And I believe Retro can do it.
Only if they can get Grant Kirkhope back to voice DK and Kevin Bayliss to voice K. Rool and Diddy.

That reminds me, it's no wonder Retro Studios wanted to use the kremlings in DKCR, some of the best people from the golden era of Rare work there now, Michael Kelbaugh and David Wise in particular. I could'nt help but tweet to Grant Kirkhope about what the odds are of him heading over there. I really liked his voiceover for DK in DK64.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Only if they can get Grant Kirkhope back to voice DK and Kevin Bayliss to voice K. Rool and Diddy.

That reminds me, it's no wonder Retro Studios wanted to use the kremlings in DKCR, some of the best people from the golden era of Rare work there now, Michael Kelbaugh and David Wise in particular. I could'nt help but tweet to Grant Kirkhope about what the odds are of him heading over there. I really liked his voiceover for DK in DK64.
David Wise was hired there specifically to compose for Tropical Freeze due to fan outcries of his absence from Returns... Fun fact.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
David Wise was hired there specifically to compose for Tropical Freeze due to fan outcries of his absence from Returns... Fun fact.
Really now....

All the more reason to be extra vocal and recruitment-oriented about KRool, then.
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 Did you know that fun fact? I think it is incredibly helpful in getting more people on board with the campaign.

EDIT: I just posted "@RetroStudios brought back @David_Wise for the fans in #DKCRTF, now its time we speak up to #BringBackKRool" on Twitter. I hope you didn't just make me a fool, on the internet of all places!

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Really now....

All the more reason to be extra vocal and recruitment-oriented about KRool, then.
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 Did you know that fun fact? I think it is incredibly helpful in getting more people on board with the campaign.

EDIT: I just posted "@RetroStudios brought back @David_Wise for the fans in #DKCRTF, now its time we speak up to #BringBackKRool" on Twitter. I hope you didn't just make me a fool, on the internet of all places!
No I didn't haha. David resigned from Rare and started his own studio as a freelance composer, Retro offered him a job via Tanabe being friends with him, http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/1...untry-tropical-freeze/?onswipe_redirect=never. It's a godsend that Tanabe did what he did.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No I didn't haha. David resigned from Rare and started his own studio as a freelance composer, Retro offered him a job via Tanabe being friends with him, http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/1...untry-tropical-freeze/?onswipe_redirect=never. It's a godsend that Tanabe did what he did.
Rare was so cool, they were like a little theater troupe that created everything together on SNL and moved on to make other TV shows for years to come. I love artist circles, man. I just love it. This brought a tear to my eye.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Really now....

Sort of. He wasn't really brought onboard because fans were complaining about Returns' music. For the most part, people liked what Kenji Yamamoto did with the soundtrack, with the two most recurring complaints being that there were too many remixes and that the original music wasn't really memorable. This article goes into detail on how David Wise got brought onboard with Tropical Freeze. In a nutshell, Tanabe was friends with Wise and offered him the job, which he was naturally all too happy to accept.

You could take away from that that it's an example of Retro listening to the fans, since they definitely used David Wise's involvement as a selling point when promoting the game. More than that, however, I think it's an example of Retro recognizing what made the original games so great and doing their best to keep the same spirit alive. Where Kremlings are involved, it's an indicator that, if they decide to go with them for a third game, Retro would easily recapture the personalities and designs that have endeared many to them to this day.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sort of. He wasn't really brought onboard because fans were complaining about Returns' music. For the most part, people liked what Kenji Yamamoto did with the soundtrack, with the two most recurring complaints being that there were too many remixes and that the original music wasn't really memorable. This article goes into detail on how David Wise got brought onboard with Tropical Freeze. In a nutshell, Tanabe was friends with Wise and offered him the job, which he was naturally all too happy to accept.

You could take away from that that it's an example of Retro listening to the fans, since they definitely used David Wise's involvement as a selling point when promoting the game. More than that, however, I think it's an example of Retro recognizing what made the original games so great and doing their best to keep the same spirit alive. Where Kremlings are involved, it's an indicator that, if they decide to go with them for a third game, Retro would easily recapture the personalities and designs that have endeared many to them to this day.
The underlined was exactly my point.. and I have no idea how you gathered anything I said to be fans complaining about the original music.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The underlined was exactly my point.. and I have no idea how you gathered anything I said to be fans complaining about the original music.
Indeed, you didn't, that was something @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy implied in saying:

That's an image of fans raising a stink about Returns' soundtrack and Retro hiring David Wise to sate them, which really wasn't the case. It was a (very) happy coincidence that happened to align with the fans' interests.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Indeed, you didn't, that was something @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy implied in saying:

That's an image of fans raising a stink about Returns' soundtrack and Retro hiring David Wise to sate them, which really wasn't the case. It was a (very) happy coincidence that happened to align with the fans' interests.
I was going off of memory during that first post and when he said "I hope you didn't make me look like an idiot" I researched it again and realized I made a small blunder, my apologies. But even so, it doesn't change the fact that he was hired specifically for TF, that part of the post is accurate, at least.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

I prefer Kirkhope's voice for DK, but Diddy's voice in 64 annoyed me. I might be alone on this, but I much prefer his new voice in TF. He is so gosh darn cute!

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Like Jurae818 said, K. Rool's right eye needs to be more bloodshot and also, in this case it's understandable since K. Rool is sitting down but I think that poor kritter that he's resting his legs on should at least have his tail. Other than that though, I also think it looks awesome.

Also here's some more photos from smash run and miiverse.
View attachment 35909
View attachment 35911
View attachment 35910
Like I said it's unfinished. I've been working this for quite a while. I had to postpone it to work on a new project I did a drawing for my dentist whom I'm quite friendly with of a giant tooth megazord fighting a monster. (In similar vein to Power Rangers) That was fun! :)
And then Christmas came and I couldn't devote a lot of time and keep my sanity in check at the same time so hiatus went on longer.

But anywho I'm working on with earnest now.

To re-iterate. I'm working on it. Nothing is set in stone. My Kritter doesn't even have hands yet; let alone a tail!
But here's how the face looks right now. I'm adding details as I go. When everything is done on K. Rool (when he himself is more or less complete) I'll touch stuff up and finish Kritter.
I need to finalize the throne and stuff. (And the background elements...:yeahboi:)

Thanks for all the feedback, though! It's very gratifying to hear.

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Like I said it's unfinished. I've been working this for quite a while. I had to postpone it to work on a new project I did a drawing for my dentist whom I'm quite friendly with of a giant tooth megazord fighting a monster. (In similar vein to Power Rangers) That was fun! :)
And then Christmas came and I couldn't devote a lot of time and keep my sanity in check at the same time so hiatus went on longer.

But anywho I'm working on with earnest now.

To re-iterate. I'm working on it. Nothing is set in stone. My Kritter doesn't even have hands yet; let alone a tail!

Thanks for all the feedback, though! It's very gratifying to hear.
that looks great so far, it really looks like a modern k rool and could even look like official art. keep up the good work i can't wait to see the full thing

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Not only that, but they picked up on fans complaining that Dixie hasn't been in a game for a long time to.

With all the major complaints about Returns almost covered, outside of Kremlings, it's a logical assumption what is next to be served on our plates...

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
that looks great so far, it really looks like a modern k rool and could even look like official art. keep up the good work i can't wait to see the full thing
Thanks for that! That's really nice of you to say! This thing has been a work of passion on my part. I want it to be the very best it can be.

It's funny you mention official art because that's been more or less the inspiration:
I want it to be as perfect (like fully fleshed with little to no errors) as official art tends to be. I want it to be iconic. Of course that is up to viewer as to whether I'll have succeeded of course but yeah. That's the motivating factor. Besides being the best thing I can offer personally to the Kampaign.

If nothing else I'm definitely going to happy with this. Everything is going quite smoothly and I really love how it's looking thus far.

Speaking of a modern K. Rool some design choices I made: I've taken an obvious liberty with the teeth as I've given him far more than the big sabre-teeth he sports. It makes sense to me- he's a croc after all! And also I'm trying to give him a darkly gleeful look on his face with an evil grin. It's a look of triumph and cruel satisfaction.
It's the reason for the Kritter footrest. The idea behind it.
My vision of him, the character of King K. Rool, is that that would be something he'd do on purpose. Because he can; and would want to.

He's literally K. Rool.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Not only that, but they picked up on fans complaining that Dixie hasn't been in a game for a long time to.

With all the major complaints about Returns almost covered, outside of Kremlings, it's a logical assumption what is next to be served on our plates...
and animal buddies will definetly be more prominent since they said that they regretted not using animal buddies in tropical freeze

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Holy mackerel, good stuff's been going on!
This is the kind of legitimate hype and optimism that initially made me want to join this thread...and with recent events, how could a fan of the Kremlings (or, heck, DKC in general) NOT be excited? Even if Retro's newest project isn't DKC -- I'm still kind of betting on a new Metroid -- things are really looking up for gaming's top croc.
Also, @ bellboy64 bellboy64 -- that picture's really coming along! It looks fantastic so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to the finished product. No pressure though, we wouldn't want it to be rushed! ;D

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
With the help of my family I made these King K. Rools in cake pop form! Check it out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom