• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ugh, I'm tired of arguing with someone about King K. Rool's moveset and how he'd be similar to other character in the specials I proposed (Blunderbuss, Krown Toss, Kopter Pak, Ground Pound [I actually don't want this move as a special, just used it]).
Oh, Bowser Jr. has the Blunderbuss move. Krown Toss is just Link's boomerang. Kopter Pak is like Link and DK's up B. Multiple characters have a ground pound. Do you guys think that this is a problem, K Rool having similar moves to other characters.
Reminds me of a Dumbledore quote from the fifth Harry Potter film..."It's now how you're alike, Harry, it's how you are not!" Detractors like to cherry pick attacks from K. Rool's fights, acting as though they'd function exactly as they would in those fights, and ignore everything else. "LOL Jr. uses a cannonball, Link uses a boomerang, Dedede uses spiky things, Snake uses a hover pack! Exactly the same!"

For starters, those attacks could easily be tweaked to be unique to K. Rool, and they'd be unique on a character of his heavy stature as is. Then, there's unique moves with no parallel in game, like the raining cannonballs, the gases, the electric traps, the invisibility, and the Klaptraps. And that's not even getting into original attacks that can be made up for the character like most fighters receive.

I hope Sakurai doesn't see it as "too similar" either, because unless you know and understand the character, "LOL he just throws and crown and shoots a cannonball" can be the perception.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I always envisioned the krown as being more akin to Snake's side-b: a slow-moving yet versatile projectile that you can aim, but which renders you vulnerable while it's in effect.

The kopter pack could very easily project a hitbox if it's electrified or, as @Eureka suggested, the blades inflict damage while they move.

Small details like that can help set K. Rool apart from the rest of the motley rabble. @ BKupa666 BKupa666 hit the nail on the head with the quote that just encapsulates this theory: it isn't how similar in concept K. Rool is that defines him, but rather, how different in effect he is!

Luigi player

Smash Master
If the blunderbuss suction is his grab and opponents get sucked in, his fthrow would need to be like him getting hit in DKC2 where 2 sheds of fire appear and then he explodes while shooting out the opponent. While the opponent is shot ouf he would be a super strong hitbox KOing at like 80 % (while K. Rool has an explosion, just like when Diddy charges his peanut popgun too long). While "shooting" the opponent away with a great power making it a pretty strong KO-throw.

That would be super fun in doubles, and would look pretty amazing, even though such a slow throw can be annoying, but his other throws could be better.

I also like the idea of just having his opponent sucked in and then he grabs them with them still being outside, sort of like with Pacman. Then his pummel would be hitting with the blunderbuss like in DKC2 (being able to hit opponents near him with a decently strong attack). Then for his throws he'll just throw the opponent away. Fthrow could be like throwing them forward/upwards and shooting cannonballs onto them just like Mewtwos fthrow. Bthrow just throwing them away like Ryus fthrow, Uthrow just throwing them upwards, and dthrow... dunno, maybe sit on them to pop them upwards like Luigi? Or just knocking them down like DKs dthrow.

Now the new idea for the explosion of the blunderbuss:
You can hold K. Rools grab just like Kirby his inhale, except if you hold too long it will explode with the sheds of fire and the explosion, just like Diddy with his popgun (of course being able to hit the opponent with it).

Now that would be pretty unique and fun.

Btw, this reminded me of Diddy having this thing from Kaptain K. Rool, which is pretty cool actually.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That 'X would be just like Y" nonsense reminds me of the 'Mega Man would be a Samus clone' argument.
:4bowserjr: would be a clone of :4bowser:

:rosalina: would be a clone of :4peach:

:4shulk: would be a clone of :4robinm: (I was guilty of this before I had any idea who Shulk even was)

And, my personal favourite:

:4ryu: would be a clone of :4littlemac:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

:4shulk: would be a clone of :4robinm: (I was guilty of this before I had any idea who Shulk even was)

:4ryu: would be a clone of Fighter Kirby
It's true tho

Smashbro596

Smash Ace

how the **** did people come to the conclusion of ryu being a clone of little mac?! BECAUSE YES LITTLE MAC CAN TOTALLY SHOOT FIREBALLS FROM HIS HANDS AND DO THE HURRICANE KICK. BECAUSE THATS WHAT BOXERS DO!!
bowser jr being a clone of bowser is the most believable. but then we were surprised with bowser jr piloting a clown copter :3

Bananija

Count of Trickery
how the **** did people come to the conclusion of ryu being a clone of little mac?! BECAUSE YES LITTLE MAC CAN TOTALLY SHOOT FIREBALLS FROM HIS HANDS AND DO THE HURRICANE KICK. BECAUSE THATS WHAT BOXERS DO!!
bowser jr being a clone of bowser is the most believable. but then we were surprised with bowser jr piloting a clown copter :3
Bowser Jr with the paintbrush would have been unique too. However, I think the copter is the best outcome : totally unique, allow the koopaling to join the brawl and is way cooler and muh revelant.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You forgot that people still think that :4lucario: is a clone of :4mewtwo:.
No, they just think that they think that Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo. :shades:

And, according to this thread, K. Rool would be a clone of :4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4charizard::4darkpit::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4drmario::4duckhunt::4falco::4fox::4ganondorf::4gaw::4greninja::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::4lucas::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4ness::4olimar::4palutena::4pacman::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4feroy::4ryu::4samus::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wario2::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss:(Remember, you all made his clone movesets to prove this. :troll:)
If King K. Rool draws elements out of that many fighters, he is not going to be the clone of anything. You cannot splice that many genes, man.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
If King K. Rool draws elements out of that many fighters, he is not going to be the clone of anything. You cannot splice that many genes, man.
Come to think of it, a character with that many attributes, all prominent enough to make the comparison for all characters, would either be ridiculously unplayable, or brokenly OP.

Last edited:

King*Krool

Smash Apprentice
So I'm working on a bunch of sound effects/taunts/sayings King K. Rool would do. I made this first using a rendition of his Donkey Kong Country T.V. Show crazy/fast paced talking, and his Dark and nasty DK 64 Boss voice. The rest was just myself wanting him to be more psychotic. http://vocaroo.com/i/s14ew9NMGuFz

But now I'm going to work on what it would sound like for hits/jabs/taunts/specials/ exc... Using mostly his older games as inspiration.

I LOVE how it looks like his costume points that Sakurai favors the RARE design for he looks more menacing and not a overly bright Mario villain.

DKC 2 was pretty damn dark, and needs to have that feeling from a boss. DK 64 seemed a bit dark as well. Compared to most games from Nintendo haha.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I love how dark the costume's skin color is; he could definitely have a truly menacing presence on the battlefield.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Geez getting through this is now a job. It just shows how much support this character has. It is awesome to think that this many people are coming together for this character, actually kinda beautiful.

Recent in-game appearance is, in case the ballot sticks true to what it promised to us from the beginning, irrelevant.

The relevance is made by the people voting for him on the ballot. That's at least my interpretation of it.

Oh and yes, with a lot of people voting for him and thereby being potential consumers of the K.Rool DLC the argument of the Kremling King being not so marketable is invalid.

Love you, guys :)
I couldn't agree anymore.

BTW, whos your most hated Nintendo character? Mine is Yoshi...it's just SO annoying to me
I can feel the pain from yoshi fans just reading it. I still respect your opinion.:)

Here's a better look at the random, most likely meaningless cape-pattern change that's still a better subject of discussion for this thread than "your most hated nintendo characters".

OMG dude, I didn't even noticed that and I am that guy that usually does. Great job!

To be honest, Shantae has a reasonable shot, guys. Her popularity has increased by the day, and is starting to become a character that could get chosen by Sakurai (in my eyes). And like I have said in other threads, she is leaving the pit of obscurity. While she won't ever exceed the demand for the king, she is at least a desired character that has a reasonable shot for a third party spot.

(Yes, I know this is the King's thread, but I had a need to point the above out due to the discussion on the other page).
Sorry, while I enjoyed Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, she doesn't deserve it. A third party needs to be either iconic or important to nintendo's third party history. Even ryu fits this as he is the face of the fighting game genre. Even more iconic than megaman, coming from the mega man freak here. The last choice to me for a third party is either Bomberman or Simon belmont. Once again, I respect your opinion.

Yea can we not have character bashing please?

Especially Yoshi....he's friggin amazing.

Anyway back to K. Rool you know the only character that matters on this thread.

I'm loving these articles that are coming up about Nintendo listening to fans it gives me a good feeling

Also in response to @ BKupa666 BKupa666 about the cape design I think this just reinforces the idea of why would the Devs go through all the trouble of redesigning K. Rool for just a costume
He is friggin (sammyclassicsonicfan) amazing.

What would K. Rool's taunts even be besides the obvious fake defeat for the down taunt?
DK64: YEAH! THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
A trailer done in the DKCTV style would be as amazing as it is unlikely.

StormC

Smash Hero
Ideally, K. Rool as a fighter is animated enough that a trailer with just gameplay footage would still be incredibly entertaining.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Probably someone like Daisy. Someone who serves no purpose and has a random fanbase that likes the character for no reason but to use the character as a weapon to troll others.
This. i was going to say somebody but man.. screw daisy. Both annoying to deal with and listen to in the mario parties("HI I'M DAISY HI I'M DAISY HI I'M DAISY") AND has a equally annoying fanbase.
Mainly because of Wayforward themselves just love shoving the idea of Shantae in Smash down Nintendo's throats at every given moment (And even at non-given moments)
Just saying :drshrug:
To be fair, if it were me i'd totally be pushing for my game character as well. Since having your creation in smash would essentially be living a dream!
I envision K. Rool just holding the opponent in front of the barrel rather than sucking them up. It's faithful to the games and makes it easier to design his pummel and throw options.
I agree, i also really don't want another pseudo-tether grab in this game X.X they really don't work out well(case in point: pacman)

D

Deleted member

That 'X would be just like Y" nonsense reminds me of the 'Mega Man would be a Samus clone' argument.
EVERYONE JUMPS, ATTACKS, MOVES AND IS PLAYABLE, THEREFORE EVERYONE IS A CLONE OF EACH OTHER.

Im joking by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Come to think of it, a character with that many attributes, all prominent enough to make the comparison for all characters, would either be ridiculously unplayable, or brokenly OP.
Well Noob Saibot took a little bit of everybody's everything and he's fine
Minus the fact that he isn't in MKX at this moment
But he did do that :dr^_^:

:4ryu: would be a clone of Fighter Kirby
It's true tho
To back this up even though it's obvious
Kirby can perform a "Force Blast" by pressing Down and holding the Attack Button (Which I'll call B from here on out) to shoot a projectile that can be charged to 3 levels
But if you do the Hadouken movement (Down, roll to Forward, and press B) you instantly fire a Level 2 Force Blast without needing to charge (Sound familiar? Neutral B + Special Input right there)
Dashing and holding B will make Kirby do a "Spin Kick" where he dashes forward in mid-air while doing a spinning kick, and he's invincible during the entire time (That's Ryu's Side B)
And then there's the obvious Rising Break, done by holding Up and B which does a literal Shoryuken, and he's invincible the entire time he does that as well (Up B, right there)
All Fighter Kirby needs is some sort of a Focus Attack and they're 1:1! :drshrug:

Ideally, K. Rool as a fighter is animated enough that a trailer with just gameplay footage would still be incredibly entertaining.
Make him as expressive as Wario and Dedede and I'll be sold. :drshrug:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
This could create an interesting idea where rather his "
" move being a command grab it COULD be an attack. Not sure how "good" the move would be overall but maybe if properly composed it could be a very unique move!
In my moveset concept, I made it his Down Special; would work to pull opponents close to you, for you link to something you feel like.. the character would enter in a hurt animation (without getting any damage, though) being unable to scape for a couple of seconds... would works just like Seth's Tanden Engine in SFIV.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we keep posting at this rate, we will reach 1000 pages around the middle of August.

Nothing but 1000 pages of speculation about our beloved Kremling King.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If we keep posting at this rate, we will reach 1000 pages around the middle of August.

Nothing but 1000 pages of speculation about our beloved Kremling King.
Less than that, I speculate.

TheLethalPacifist

Smash Cadet
How many pages do you think we'll through when (notice the when) the King is announced? We went through like 40 with just the costume.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If/when K. Rool gets confirmed, I feel like Smashboards will be Crashboards and no one will be doing too much posting lol

Top Bottom