• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I think the problem is they didn't like the way he (would've) looked, not that they couldn't do it.
The same 14 year old succeed into making him look good too :

Beside, if the reason for not making Ridley playable is the way he look, why did they come up with this :

But that is not what we're suppose to talk about.

Tomorrow I will buy the Kostume and the 2 stages, to show my support to K.Rool... like 80% of the people here.

With relative ease?
Makes crushing rocks seem such a breeze.
He's big, he's slow
He can't jump high, but this kong's one hell of a guy!
You sir, you just made my day. It's ironic when you think that when I parodied the DK rap with version Smashboards members, I was Chunky.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This has probably been talked about before, but what do you think would be the victory theme.

This is an unpopular one and i'm not taking kredit for it, but the bonus lose theme from dkc 1 is a great choice. Think about it, he is an antagonist and the bonus lose is the opposite from the bonus win. The bonus win is the victory theme for diddy and dk, the good guys. Plus i totally don't have any bias since i love that theme to death.
That'd be a wonderfully cute nod to the classic games, but I think the reference would be lost on non-DKC fans. A well-known soundtrack like Gangplank Galleon or even Crocodile Cacophony would be more widely recognisable to fans who don't have that much experience with the DKC series, plus the sound itself just naturally fits K. Rool.

My favourite choice of victory theme would be a metal remix of the "drop" bars in Gangplank Galleon: short, sweet and totally captures K. Rool's character!

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman

Beside, if the reason for not making Ridley playable is the way he look, why did the come up with this :

But that is not what we're suppose to talk about.

Tomorrow I will buy the Kostume and the 2 stages, to show my support to K.Rool... like 80% of the people here.

You sir, you just made my day. It's ironic when you think that when I parodied the DK rap with version Smashboards members, I was Chunky.
Might wanna put that image in a spoiler the ugliness disgusts people and the image is obnoxiously large.

StormC

Smash Hero
As an IC supporter, I'd like to mention another aspect of the IC missing is their dead-in-the-water franchise. In addition to the programming issues, Sakurai mentioned that they weren't a high priority because their franchise didn't have a future. They would have received more attention if there were some IC game on the way, and who knows, they could have made it. But he decided he would be better off prioritizing other things than working out the IC. We don't know how long they spent trying to make the IC work on 3DS before moving on. I'm responding to this because this misconception that hardware issues were the sole issue behind the IC not returning is causing people to not support them in the poll (and the ballot is influential for future Smash games too, so it could potentially even jeopardize future appearances since they're a dead franchise, a programming nuisance, and "nobody wants them back anyway - look at these poll numbers!"). I'm not delusional; the hardware issues were probably the primary reason they didn't get in, but we don't know what could have happened if Sakurai made them higher priority.
This isn't true. It was simply a mistranslation that circulated that the Ice Climbers were given up after a while because of lack of a future. Also, he said he tried everything he could.

EDIT: Whoops, beaten to the punch.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
As for Ganondorf, I never wanted Ganondorf to just use a sword. I just wanted him to be a mix of using powerful dark magic and slow but powerful physical attacks. Like Zelda and Link, he'd incorporate abilities from all his different appearances instead of revolving around one appearance. It's weird since everyone assumes he'd only be a magic user like in Ocarina of Time, or a swordsman like in the Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Never both, and people assume he wouldn't use abilities his beast form Ganon would, like using a trident, summoning flaming Keese, or teleporting.

That said, as much as I hate saying this, it's time to move on when it comes to Falcondorf. Instead, fans of the King of Evil can try to rally around his beast form Ganon for a unique take on him.

As for K. Rool (who, compared to Ganondorf, is a Supreme Dictator of Evil rather than a mere king), he's got the potential to play pretty uniquely, but the problem is that while DKC1 is one of the most iconic games ever, DKC2 is "merely" a well-regarded sequel. I know quite a few people who think K. Rool would be boring because they think of him in the first game, where all he did was jump around and toss his crown, sometimes making cannonballs. He's insanely unique in the next two games but, again, the other two games aren't always what people think of when they hear about K. Rool since not quite as many people played them. It's not an impossible challenge to overcome, but it is something to keep in mind.

Pakky

Smash Hero
K rool might force me to drop Mewtwo as my main, who was my most wanted character. BKuppa666 and others have filled me with this weird sense of dedication towards the king. Right now I can't imagine anyone getting in before him.

On Ganon:
I always wanted him to an amalgamation of everything he ever was, similar to how Game& Watch is an amalgamation of the Game & Watch games

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Come to think of it, I wonder why Dixie didn't get a Mii costume? They could have easily given her outfit and a yellow ponytail for the Mii. They already made a monkey outfit for the Mii's, so a slight alteration of that for Dixie would have been easy to do.

King K. Rool getting a Mii costume for the meantime because the character won't be completed to 2016, perhaps? Maybe its a way to satisfy people for the meantime, implying a full character is coming.

StormC

Smash Hero
As for K. Rool (who, compared to Ganondorf, is a Supreme Dictator of Evil rather than a mere king), he's got the potential to play pretty uniquely, but the problem is that while DKC1 is one of the most iconic games ever, DKC2 is "merely" a well-regarded sequel. I know quite a few people who think K. Rool would be boring because they think of him in the first game, where all he did was jump around and toss his crown, sometimes making cannonballs. He's insanely unique in the next two games but, again, the other two games aren't always what people think of when they hear about K. Rool since not quite as many people played them. It's not an impossible challenge to overcome, but it is something to keep in mind.
Mega Man has moves from all over so I don't think this is a problem (even the Shoryuken!). Again, if Sakurai is actively ignoring the thousands of votes saying "K. Rool can throw his crown and use his blunderbuss and helipack," then he's just a fool.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Why are all of you attacking Sakurai all of a sudden? He's never said anything about K. Rool PERIOD. Its almost as if you guys are inventing him saying negative things just so you can complain about him.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
As for Ganondorf, I never wanted Ganondorf to just use a sword. I just wanted him to be a mix of using powerful dark magic and slow but powerful physical attacks. Like Zelda and Link, he'd incorporate abilities from all his different appearances instead of revolving around one appearance. It's weird since everyone assumes he'd only be a magic user like in Ocarina of Time, or a swordsman like in the Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Never both, and people assume he wouldn't use abilities his beast form Ganon would, like using a trident, summoning flaming Keese, or teleporting.

That said, as much as I hate saying this, it's time to move on when it comes to Falcondorf. Instead, fans of the King of Evil can try to rally around his beast form Ganon for a unique take on him.

A lot of people who wanted Ganondorf de-cloned wanted him to be more than just a sword user as you've stated, especially when you take into consideration that he has used multiple forms of magic and duel wielding swords. It wouldn't make sense for him to only use his sword, however, it makes no sense what-so-ever to use mostly physical attacks like he does in Smash.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The more I think about it, the more I think it's possible that Dixie will turn out to be pre-ballot DLC. If Doc, Mewtwo and Roy are any indication, the basic concept drafts from Brawl can be used as a template for characters in this game, which leads me to believe Dixie could already be in development.

That would mean K. Rool would remain as the frontrunner for DK fans that just want a character from the series, full-stop, to get in; moreover, it would pave the way for two DK newcomers as DLC!

What a world that would be, ne~? ;3

Why are all of you attacking Sakurai all of a sudden? He's never said anything about K. Rool PERIOD. Its almost as if you guys are inventing him saying negative things just so you can complain about him.
Stormy was saying that if Sakurai disregarded K. Rool's moveset potential and cited it as a reason why he doesn't want to include him, despite fans outright sharing moveset details with him and practically doing the hard work for him, it'd be a very daft decision to make.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
The more I think about it, the more I think it's possible that Dixie will turn out to be pre-ballot DLC. If Doc, Mewtwo and Roy are any indication, the basic concept drafts from Brawl can be used as a template for characters in this game, which leads me to believe Dixie could already be in development.

That would mean K. Rool would remain as the frontrunner for DK fans that just want a character from the series, full-stop, to get in; moreover, it would pave the way for two DK newcomers as DLC!

What a world that would be, ne~? ;3
That would be doubly awesome! I sure do hope that's the case.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I doubt it. You are overlooking the more likely explanation: these members of the "forbidden seven" returned because they were veterans. They were already part of the Smash bros cast at one point. None of the forbidden seven;s potential newcomers have made it in.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I doubt it. You are overlooking the more likely explanation: these members of the "forbidden seven" returned because they were veterans. They were already part of the Smash bros cast at one point. None of the forbidden seven;s potential newcomers have made it in.
Oh yeah, I didn't say it's likely or that I expect it to happen, just that it's a nice concept to think about.

My addendum to the tune of "what a wonderful world that would be" was intended to demonstrate that it's an absolute fantasy, heh~

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Remember when Kirby could inhale Meta Knight?
Good times.

For some reason or another, in Hoshi No Kaabii (Which is tied with Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland and therefore Kirby's Adventure) also known as Kirby: Right back at Ya or KRBAY (Sorta spelled like Kirby, huh) it is quote-unquote "Explained" that through one reason or another it is impossible for Kirby to inhale Meta Knight (But he can inhale Dedede, we even got to see what inside Kirby looks like. AND IT'S LITERALLY FREAKING OUTER SPACE. WHAT) for some reason or another, but in Smash, Kirby's perfectly fine with inhaling him.
Sooo I dunno what the goings on there is.
(I guess KRTD would count as Kirby inhaling Meta Knight, but in that instant he's using a Super Inhale which he didn't know how to do until around Amazing Mirror [which came after NID/KRBAY] and he doesn't use his Super Inhale in any iteration of Smash [not even a custom move, which I thought would be an obvious choice but Sakurai wanted the Ice Breath for some reason] so the only actual time he could inhale Meta Knight in non-Smash games was Return To Dreamland, and even then it wasn't through normal means so there's your Kirby Trivia for the day
But
We aren't attaking Sakurai
And we aren't komplaining about him.
Were just doing the usual King K. Moveset talk. :drshrug:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Good thoughts...

No matter how much we complain, Sakurai isn't stupid.
I could totally see him pulling that scenario.

Already gunning (heh) for the Kaptain to be OP, eh?
Nah; I just love characters who have throwable items, and the likes of the Gyro more than others. It's not broken but it is a great move and hilarious online. I used to have a replay saved on my 3DS called Gordo Tennis. The entire game consisted of a Dedede player repeatedly throwing a Gordo at me and me repeatedly throwing the Gyro at it to reflect it back and catching it midair; said player never caught on and eventually KOED himself this way.

You have to appreciate the little things like this, I find. :p The Gyro is my absolute favourite move in the game and I'd be super stoked if K Rool got something similar.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Too Ugly
Too BiG
Too Irrelevant
Too Boring
Too Cloney
Get OuT
King K. Rool is just another blue-haired swordsman
And don't even get me started on that Pink Girl following him
He's way too big, too.
Obviously a waste of space, you're all wasting your votes, why aren't you all voting for Dark Donkey Kong Jr. :drshrug:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
King K. Rool is just another blue-haired swordsman
And don't even get me started on that Pink Girl following him
He's way too big, too.
Obviously a waste of space, you're all wasting your votes, why aren't you all voting for Dark Donkey Kong Jr. :drshrug:
Of course, Bluster Kong will obviously be the next dlc character. He has a final smash (leo luster)

And an amiibo

But i do question the legitimacy of this amiibo, it looks like a custom little mac.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm surprised people here still haven't considered the possibility that he couldn't think of a moveset for him so he made a costume as a compensation

That to me seems like the most likely scenario, yet I think the only mention of it I've seen was by Bkupa

InsaneHippo

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised people here still haven't considered the possibility that he couldn't think of a moveset for him so he made a costume as a compensation

That to me seems like the most likely scenario, yet I think the only mention of it I've seen was by Bkupa
except there is a lot he could do for a moveset

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Nah; I just love characters who have throwable items, and the likes of the Gyro more than others. It's not broken but it is a great move and hilarious online. I used to have a replay saved on my 3DS called Gordo Tennis. The entire game consisted of a Dedede player repeatedly throwing a Gordo at me and me repeatedly throwing the Gyro at it to reflect it back and catching it midair; said player never caught on and eventually KOED himself this way.

You have to appreciate the little things like this, I find. :p The Gyro is my absolute favourite move in the game and I'd be super stoked if K Rool got something similar.
Man, that would be so conflicting if K. Rool got in after nearly a decade of me wanting him, but then gained access to a Gyro-esque move that made me tear my hair out in frustration every time I fought him in For Glory.

In response to the great optimistic posts on the previous page, I want so badly to agree wholeheartedly with all of them. The one fly in the ointment that comes up against all of them is Ridley. So many people thought there was no way Sakurai and co. would be daft enough to tease Ridley's ultimate role for 14 months, only for it to not be the one his many fans wanted (and no, I didn't find the ambiguous shadow to make his role "obvious" in April 2014). If they could do it with Ridley, they could do it with K. Rool. Let's just keep up this great new influx of support all the way across the finish line to (hopefully) keep that from happening.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd say he's just about the right size. Any bigger and he'd be too big. We could show this to Sakurai and Nintendo, but with how companies not supposed to take ideas and stuff from fans and perhaps some copyright issues, and the possibility they wouldn't look at it, ugggh...If only they could see it, or be willing to see it.

On topic: The Mii costume doesn't convince me K. Rool will not be in. What does the K stand for, anyway?

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I'd say he's just about the right size. Any bigger and he'd be too big. We could show this to Sakurai and Nintendo, but with how companies not supposed to take ideas and stuff from fans and perhaps some copyright issues, and the possibility they wouldn't look at it, ugggh...If only they could see it, or be willing to see it.

On topic: The Mii costume doesn't convince me K. Rool will not be in. What does the K stand for, anyway?
I've always liked to imagine the K stands for some unfittingly ordinary name, like Karl or something.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

That needs alotta work...but the moveset is faithful/canon

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I'm not surprised people don't commonly bring this up, because from the perspective of his fans, it's the easiest thing in the world to give K. Rool a moveset. Sakurai would have to consciously ignore, say, the DKC sequels and not put much thought into DKC1 for him to literally not be able to come up with a moveset (and him not being able to come up with one he likes isn't a much better excuse, given how many options there are to mix and match).

I try giving the benefit of the doubt, but can't say the worry doesn't persist.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I've never really known what the K. in his middle name was, my logical assumption is either Kremling or Kritter.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Kuttlery. Its totally Kuttlery.
King Kuttlery Rool.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm not surprised people don't commonly bring this up, because from the perspective of his fans, it's the easiest thing in the world to give K. Rool a moveset. Sakurai would have to consciously ignore, say, the DKC sequels and not put much thought into DKC1 for him to literally not be able to come up with a moveset (and him not being able to come up with one he likes isn't a much better excuse, given how many options there are to mix and match).

I try giving the benefit of the doubt, but can't say the worry doesn't persist.
It's not as easy as people think

Having a lot of material to draw from doesn't mean it's easy to make a moveset, that's what people are getting confused. Firstly, his physiology is slightly awkward for a Smash game, not un-doable, but it'd be a hurdle. Secondly his moves have to synergise well, he has to have an identity as a fighter, with clear strengths and weaknesses. He needs to be balanced well, and I suppose at this stage of the game needs to offer something 'unique'

It's not as simple as just putting a bunch of canon moves together and giving him generic melee attacks to fill in the gaps. That's probably why Sakurai innovates moves for certain characters instead of always prioritising canon moves.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Man, that would be so conflicting if K. Rool got in after nearly a decade of me wanting him, but then gained access to a Gyro-esque move that made me tear my hair out in frustration every time I fought him in For Glory.

In response to the great optimistic posts on the previous page, I want so badly to agree wholeheartedly with all of them. The one fly in the ointment that comes up against all of them is Ridley. So many people thought there was no way Sakurai and co. would be daft enough to tease Ridley's ultimate role for 14 months, only for it to not be the one his many fans wanted (and no, I didn't find the ambiguous shadow to make his role "obvious" in April 2014). If they could do it with Ridley, they could do it with K. Rool. Let's just keep up this great new influx of support all the way across the finish line to (hopefully) keep that from happening.
For how good the Gyro is as a projectile (particularly in lag) I am really surprised you don't see it more often in FG. I imagine a large part is the character it's attached to and K Rool would probably be a bit more popular.

I've said it before and ill say it again - Ridley was teased as an active role during game development that would preclude his appearance as a playable fighter. K Rool has a Kosplay that may not preclude him at all, at a point post development where we can still affect DLC. The two situations are very different to me because of that.

It's not as easy as people think

Having a lot of material to draw from doesn't mean it's easy to make a moveset, that's what people are getting confused. Firstly, his physiology is slightly awkward for a Smash game, not un-doable, but it'd be a hurdle. Secondly his moves have to synergise well, he has to have an identity as a fighter, with clear strengths and weaknesses. He needs to be balanced well, and I suppose at this stage of the game needs to offer something 'unique'

It's not as simple as just putting a bunch of canon moves together and giving him generic melee attacks to fill in the gaps. That's probably why Sakurai innovates moves for certain characters instead of always prioritising canon moves.
How is his physiology awkward? He's well suited for rescaling and really in quite a similar situation to Bowser.

Have you had a look at fan movesets? They've done all you suggest they need to - an emphasis on a trapping character is particularly prevalent, and the Melee moves most people add are hardly arbitrary either.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
That is so beautiful...

Sorry guys, I can no longer support K. Rool, all the cool kids are voting for Bluster the Benevolent!
OF COURSE (street fighter reference) it is beautiful.

"Am irresistible is what i am, baby!"
-Bluster Kong/Leo Luster 1997-Forever in our hearts.
Goodnight, sweet prince.

Top Bottom