• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Vikings are at least a ton better than Tikis. And I do appriciate Retro's work on the series much more than say, Nintendo EAD's with Jungle Beat, so am still cool with them. I do wish they brought back the Kremlings for a 3rd, and perhaps final DKCR game. I think the series deserve to be a triology, amd feel that would be best. And I think it would create MASS HYPE and perhaps sales to if they end this with a Kremling ending. I don't wanna see them go all New Super Mario Bros. on DKCR, so am still hoping for this. Thusfar, Tropical Freeze looks way more promising than what DKCR was in the end. So I'm still looking out for it.

Am mostly dissapointed in Diddy's decreasing role ever since Returns however.
DIDDY! How're you doing man it's been a while. Yo, I agree with pretty much all of this and Vikings are def a lot better than Tikis... Tikis really didn't feel right and it was just kinda boring. Anyway... I hope K.Rool made the roster (which I'm sure he did). Honestly, I don't think we need another Kong, Dixie really isn't necessary to have in smash 4. Diversity is really important and that's where K.Rool comes in

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Both would be great. The DK series would be complete.

Anyway, y'all remember that uppercut K. Rool uses on Chunky in 64 right? What if they based his dash attack on that? Obviously it won't be as strong, but still useful. It could be low in lag so it works with a bulldozing strategy, and tbh I'm tired of heavyweights who all have dash attacks with significant ending lag. Just a thought.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Both would be great. The DK series would be complete.

Anyway, y'all remember that uppercut K. Rool uses on Chunky in 64 right? What if they based his dash attack on that? Obviously it won't be as strong, but still useful. It could be low in lag so it works with a bulldozing strategy, and tbh I'm tired of heavyweights who all have dash attacks with significant ending lag. Just a thought.
Yeah I remember that. That's actually a pretty cool idea and I agree that heavyweights should not have too much dash attack ending lag. However, I think with K.Rool and his generally fast running speed (DKC final boss battle on Gangplank Galleon), it is possible that his dash attack and running speed just might be quick for a heavyweight!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm gonna go ahead and say the Kremlings being absent from the new DKC games isn't a big deal. I think about it this way. Retro basically inherited an established franchise from a team (Rare) that inherited an established franchise. When Rare was making the game, they had a lot more freedom. DK had to be there, and barrels I guess, but they got to create the world, Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool and every other element. Retro has a little less freedom than that. Playable characters, Cranky, barrel cannons, bananas, etc. are all leftovers. Getting to create their own enemies is a cool way for them to flex their creative muscle while still keeping in step with what Rare was doing.

I have no idea what this means for K. Rool's chances in Smash, but it's how I look at it.

That's pretty much how I see it. Retro wanted to go "What can we add to the series' lineage?" albeit probably accidentally stepping on the toes of the fans. Why they decided to do it again is beyond me, but since they're still being asked I assume they understand it's not OK to lack Kremlings in all of their games.

It's one of the reasons I laugh so heartily at people who suggest the lack of Kremlings can be blamed on Nintendo. I could go into a full ****ing tirade right now, but all I need to say is this:

-Miyamoto gave them "must-haves", leaving everything else up to Retro. He did not say to leave out Kremlings, or even hint at it. At worst, he doesn't think here nor there of them.

-The removal of the DKC games from the virtual console is likely due to M$ claiming some shenanigans about the Rare name, and not wanting Nintendo to receive money for anything Rare has done. This is literally the only logical explanation, not some crackpot conspiracy theory about them removing the games because they "had some enemies some developers may not have liked" in them. If that's a reason to remove AAA games like the DKC trilogy from the VC, my name is ****ing Ichibod Crane.

- The release of "He Kame, he saw, he Konquered" pretty much cements this. Yes, it's the DKC cartoon. The DKC cartoon was popular in Japan. (And Europe. It got to freaking 4 seasons.) It has Kremlings in it, and the Kremlings are mentioned IN the DVD release. In addition, the DVD is being released purportedly in combination with the DKCR 3DS release. That basically means Kremlings + Tikis both represent a very important part of DKC. Even today. (Oh, and even if it's an American DVD release and NOTHING else, it still had to be licensed for re-release by Nintendo. If there was some conspiracy to remove or ignore Kremlings, the cartoon would be just as "ignored" as the DK Land games.)

The Kremlings are still there. They're just plotting for their next big takeover. K. Rool's chances to be in Smash are just as high as they were months ago. Which is high. Let's chill, support Retro by playing Tropical Freeze, and express our want of more Kremlings in future DKC games using the Miiverse. Also continue to expect our overlord in Smash 4. This is the best thing we can do, and I hope everybody understands!

Good night, my komrades!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Anyone notice how Hank Hill is a Kutthroat? K. Rool has the best fanbase on Smashboards.

Yep, and we sell Kremlings and Kremlings propoganda! I can see how he'd fit in quite well with our Kutthroat sales mantra.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DIDDY! How're you doing man it's been a while. Yo, I agree with pretty much all of this and Vikings are def a lot better than Tikis... Tikis really didn't feel right and it was just kinda boring. Anyway... I hope K.Rool made the roster (which I'm sure he did). Honestly, I don't think we need another Kong, Dixie really isn't necessary to have in smash 4. Diversity is really important and that's where K.Rool comes in

Yo dude, long time! Doing fine, how about you?

I still think Dixie would be a mighty fine addition though. No need to skip on her great potential if we can just have both her and K.Rool in.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I actually think I've begun understanding Retro's exclusion of the Kremlings. The old DKC games spiced up each new game with new playable characters that replace the old ones, so Retro are probably trying to do the opposite and replace old enemies with new enemies instead, and while they're adding new playable characters they aren't replacing the old ones.

I'm thinking they want to make this a trilogy, and even if we're missing the Kremlings wouldn't it be kind of odd to have a trilogy where the in one game we have the Tikis, and then in the next two we have Kremlings? If they want to make this a trilogy and make new enemies each time, then my guess is that the Kremlings are saved 'till last, so to not make the second and third game too similar they're putting the Vikings in Tropical Freeze. Kind of makes sense.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I actually think I've begun understanding Retro's exclusion of the Kremlings. The old DKC games spiced up each new game with new playable characters that replace the old ones, so Retro are probably trying to do the opposite and replace old enemies with new enemies instead, and while they're adding new playable characters they aren't replacing the old ones.

I'm thinking they want to make this a trilogy, and even if we're missing the Kremlings wouldn't it be kind of odd to have a trilogy where the in one game we have the Tikis, and then in the next two we have Kremlings? If they want to make this a trilogy and make new enemies each time, then my guess is that the Kremlings are saved 'till last, so to not make the second and third game too similar they're putting the Vikings in Tropical Freeze. Kind of makes sense.

That does make alot of sense. It's what I'm hoping for. I can't reiterate enough that what's going to have to happen is we're going to have to show them how much we want Kremlings to be in the third game in the trilogy, though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Diddy's post about the possibility of skipping Dixie brought to mind why I dislike the notion of "reps." It's similar to "relevance" in that you can theoretically have a strong potential newcomer automatically "invalidated" by arbitrary criteria, namely their series "not needing" a rep or them "competing" with another character within their series for the same "rep" spot. Under the "reps" mindset, strong potential newcomers get left out in the cold, just because people perceive the series they're from to deserve "repping" less than others, which is unfortunate.

If a sufficiently high bar is maintained for potential newcomers, I think the issue of series balance Sakurai addressed in Nintendo Power basically solves itself, since it weeds out GameFAQsian suggestions like multiple Pokemon Trainers or three Kid Icarus newcomers. Characters like K. Rool and Dixie don't need to suffer such limitations, nor do arguably worthy candidates like Samurai Goroh or a handful of protagonists from new series.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Diddy's post about the possibility of skipping Dixie brought to mind why I dislike the notion of "reps." It's similar to "relevance" in that you can theoretically have a strong potential newcomer automatically "invalidated" by arbitrary criteria, namely their series "not needing" a rep or them "competing" with another character within their series for the same "rep" spot. Under the "reps" mindset, strong potential newcomers get left out in the cold, just because people perceive the series they're from to deserve "repping" less than others, which is unfortunate.

If a sufficiently high bar is maintained for potential newcomers, I think the issue of series balance Sakurai addressed in Nintendo Power basically solves itself, since it weeds out GameFAQsian suggestions like multiple Pokemon Trainers or three Kid Icarus newcomers. Characters like K. Rool and Dixie don't need to suffer such limitations, nor do arguably worthy candidates like Samurai Goroh or a handful of protagonists from new series.

I think I agree, 100%. If a series has a strong potential newcomer, the newcomer should get in on their merits and not just because they're "relevant" to the current game. That gives both Dixie and K. Rool the tools they need to get in, as well as Goroh, and in my opinion any of the potential Mario newcomers. Also Masked Man, but I'm just going to keep dreaming on that one.

It seems like Sakurai thinks that way, or at least I'm hoping he does. Every character selection thus far has met that criteria...except maybe Pichu, but that's outside the issue really as he was chosen for comedic reasons.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We had a ****ton of Zelda, Pokemon and Mario newcomers in Melee, 2 Kirby newcomers in Brawl to. I don't think it's so farfetched a series as big as Donkey Kong could get 2 newcomers to this time around.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but K Rool might be the 4th playable character in tropical freeze. I mean the plot is that they were kicked off of the island, and maybe this affects K. Rool too. I mean there is no other character that would create hype for that game and thus no reason to keep them secret.

Groose

Smash Champion
Yo dude, long time! Doing fine, how about you?

I still think Dixie would be a mighty fine addition though. No need to skip on her great potential if we can just have both her and K.Rool in.
She'd be a good addition. Even so, she's not quite in the same league as K. Rool and if she got in over him, that's when the problem would come in.

Because of the limited slots available this go-round, many see it as a one-or-the-other type of situation.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but K Rool might be the 4th playable character in tropical freeze. I mean the plot is that they were kicked off of the island, and maybe this affects K. Rool too. I mean there is no other character that would create hype for that game and thus no reason to keep them secret.
I really hope that's who the fourth character is as well

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kiddy would create at least SOME hype cause he'd dead for much longer than even Dixie. Lanky would also be awesome, and create some hype.

It could also be a new character entirely. Which is kinda what I'm thinking.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Kiddy would create at least SOME hype cause he'd dead for much longer than even Dixie. Lanky would also be awesome, and create some hype.

I dont think kiddy would create much hype, because i dont think very many people liked him at all. Lanky would create hype though

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He might have gotten a redesign or he might've grown up much like Tiny did. That at least would create hype.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is why Returns' success was so critical, since it sent a message that the demand for new DKC games was still just as strong as ever. It's why I'm hoping this game reaches a similar level of success, so it'll make sense to Retro to finish a trilogy out of what they started, like they did with Metroid Prime, and like Rare did with DKC before them. And in that regard, it does makes sense that the Kremlings would be saved for the last game; as much as people were claiming 'the Kremlings can appear in Returns' sequel,' they were looking at each successive game as its own entity, rather than as part of a trilogy. I just hope the whiny backlash at the fact that Retro is making another DKC instead of any other game doesn't deter them from making a third...honestly, those people annoy me greatly.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I'm really gunning for Funky still. I'd rather it be Funky than some new character, because we all know how excited everyone was for Nabbit in NSLU.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess we can all try and make sense of the Kremlings' continued absence in our own way. Regardless, at least the Vikings seem better than the Tikis as pointed out. About Kiddy, I'm one of the few that actually liked him. Kinda annoyed me at first but later grew on me when I was going for the rest of the bonus coins and such, not that I'm counting on him to return or anything. Had mixed feelings about some of the DK64 Kongs compared to DKC's, but Lanky was probably my favorite out of them too, yeah.

At this point though, I agree most with the above sentiment about Funky.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There are theories that, since the Kongs land onto their first foreign island in a plane crash, that Funky is the logical inclusion, since he's a pilot and mechanic. I'm curious whether he'd use his old design, new design, or a hybrid...

There's also a theory that one of the crashing vehicles on the Trunk Twister mine cart stage looks like K. Rool's Boomerang-A-Barrel from the "Watch the Skies" episode of the Donkey Kong Country cartoon. That theory is mine. :troll:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I just want Funky. If I can't have K. Rool yet, I want Funky!

You WILL give me my Funky, Retro! :evil:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
There are theories that, since the Kongs land onto their first foreign island in a plane crash, that Funky is the logical inclusion, since he's a pilot and mechanic. I'm curious whether he'd use his old design, new design, or a hybrid...
They don't land from a plane crash, they crash into a plane that they then bust out of.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How would you guys feel if the leader of the Vikings appeared in Smash instead of K. Rool?
Furious! Outraged! Sick with anger!

Dismissed! Rejected! Publicly humiliated! Why, it's more than I can bare.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is why Returns' success was so critical, since it sent a message that the demand for new DKC games was still just as strong as ever. It's why I'm hoping this game reaches a similar level of success, so it'll make sense to Retro to finish a trilogy out of what they started, like they did with Metroid Prime, and like Rare did with DKC before them. And in that regard, it does makes sense that the Kremlings would be saved for the last game; as much as people were claiming 'the Kremlings can appear in Returns' sequel,' they were looking at each successive game as its own entity, rather than as part of a trilogy. I just hope the whiny backlash at the fact that Retro is making another DKC instead of any other game doesn't deter them from making a third...honestly, those people annoy me greatly.

It's probably butthurt Metroid fans who where unsatisfied with Other M. Okay, Other M might not've been the Metroid y'all wished for, but the DKC fans had to do with DK: Jungle Beat, Donkey Konga(s), DK : Barrel Blast, Climber games, and **** it even Mario vs Donkey Kong if that counts in the while Retro was doing Metroid Prime.

I don't see why people are so opposed to another Donkey Kong Country game. Especially since other developers can clearly handle Metroid well to, as the creators of Zero Mission and Fusion. We DKC fans had basically nothing since Rare left besides PAON. And while DK Jungle Climber was a very good game, it was not everyone's taste, kind of like Other M imo.

Metroid isn't dead, DKC was dying badly before Returns. Metroid will be back eventually. Donkey Kong Country wasn't so sure to be brought back imo. Even though it's kind of a no brainer we'd still see DK around in Mario Party / Golf / Tennis / Kart / Pogostick racing / Bobsledding. Though those aren't exactly the things DKC looked for.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
How would you guys feel if the leader of the Vikings appeared in Smash instead of K. Rool?
In a scenario where Dixie's in too or not? Either way it would be stupid, though it wouldn't be the first time I felt that way about someone getting in over someone else.

It's probably butthurt Metroid fans who where unsatisfied with Other M. Okay, Other M might not've been the Metroid y'all wished for, but the DKC fans had to do with DK: Jungle Beat, Donkey Konga(s), DK : Barrel Blast, Climber games, and **** it even Mario vs Donkey Kong if that counts in the while Retro was doing Metroid Prime.

I don't see why people are so opposed to another Donkey Kong Country game. Especially since other developers can clearly handle Metroid well to, as the creators of Zero Mission and Fusion. We DKC fans had basically nothing since Rare left besides PAON. And while DK Jungle Climber was a very good game, it was not everyone's taste, kind of like Other M imo.

Metroid isn't dead, DKC was dying badly before Returns. Metroid will be back eventually. Donkey Kong Country wasn't so sure to be brought back imo. Even though it's kind of a no brainer we'd still see DK around in Mario Party / Golf / Tennis / Kart / Pogostick racing / Bobsledding. Though those aren't exactly the things DKC looked for.
While I'm not defending those Metroid fans you described, Metroid as a series may as well be dead at this point. It's been awhile longer than usual that we've even had a trailer for another Metroid since after Other M which was in 2010, and with the reception Other M got, they're likely more unsure of what to do with the series next, aside from maybe considering another Hunters multiplayer title or something of that nature. Fusion sequel or something else be damned.

Maybe some people just think there being another DK platformer on both the Wii U and 3DS is a bit much, but hey, Metroid had both Prime and Fusion on the GC and GBA during the year of the franchise's revival, so that's fair treatment after what DK's been through post-Rare I'd say.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At least the designs were spot-on in that game like with K. Rool.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

As a big BIG Metroid fan I'd much rather that Retro makes DKC games than Metroid games. Because 1. As you said, DK needs it far more, and 2. Retro made one extremely good Metroid game and 3 subpar one, and as it stands right now I'd rather that no new Metroid games are being made instead of them continuing to make below standard ones, so in the end it's just best that they're making DKC. The problem with Other M was handing Metroid back to Sakamoto and company again though, I'd much rather see new faces take up Metroid, while I'd much rather that DK gets a more safe treatment at Retro, since the franchise really needs such a treatment given how rough a ride it had prior to DKC:R.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Terrible. Actually, if Sakurai chose to do that, without adding K. Rool as well, I'd hesitate to buy it, because I'd just be depressed every time I even LOOKED at the Viking leader.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Metroid isn't going anywhere, since it was entirely up to Retro whether to make DKC or Metroid. They chose the former, but still considered the latter. Nintendo still considers it a viable suggestion, at any rate.

It's moreso Star Fox fans depressed that their series is being further buried, and it's definitely an understandable mindset. Looking in at the DK series from the outside, it's probably easy to think that DK never needed a reboot, since s**t games with Donkey Kong in the title were still made during the Decade of Nothing. That said, I don't appreciate these fans slinging mud at Retro and DKC when Star Fox wasn't among the options Nintendo gave them, and when any other company could make the game as well. No series is entitled to be revamped by Retro, just because their team is probably the best thing Nintendo has going for them nowadays. To pretend that Retro now has to make Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda, Murasame Castle and a new IP "just because" is foolhardy.

Like Banjodorf, I'd probably not get the game if a Viking were playable instead of K. Rool. Complain all you'd like about how this means I'm not a "true fan," but really, I can experience and enjoy the other characters and gameplay at the houses of my Wii U-owning friends and relatives, or at college tournaments. I'd be forking over a heck of a lot of money for this game and system, and need to be truly invested in it to do so.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
As a big BIG Metroid fan I'd much rather that Retro makes DKC games than Metroid games. Because 1. As you said, DK needs it far more, and 2. Retro made one extremely good Metroid game and 3 subpar one, and as it stands right now I'd rather that no new Metroid games are being made instead of them continuing to make below standard ones, so in the end it's just best that they're making DKC. The problem with Other M was handing Metroid back to Sakamoto and company again though, I'd much rather see new faces take up Metroid, while I'd much rather that DK gets a more safe treatment at Retro, since the franchise really needs such a treatment given how rough a ride it had prior to DKC:R.
Are you including the Trilogy set because I don't think Retro worked on Hunters. I do agree with your other points (though personally I liked Prime 2, 3 was OK), I'd rather Retro work on other games then Metroid that do need it more and DK in particular does right now.

As for Other M... Less said the better but I think what Sakamoto needed to do was have someone to bounce ideas off of and to iron out the bumps because on paper they work, in execution the results speaks for itself.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Are you including the Trilogy set because I don't think Retro worked on Hunters. I do agree with your other points (though personally I liked Prime 2, 3 was OK), I'd rather Retro work on other games then Metroid that do need it more and DK in particular does right now.

As for Other M... Less said the better but I think what Sakamoto needed to do was have someone to bounce ideas off of and to iron out the bumps because on paper they work, in execution the results speaks for itself.
I thought they worked on Prime Hunters, but on further inspection it seems that they didn't. Other than that I agree.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I'm still optimistic about King K. Rool in DCK:TF and SSB4. Sakurai would of had to of take notice of the fan want of King K. Rool (and Ridley) and I foresee a possible plot of DKC:TF

The Vikings take over Crocodile Isle in addition to Kong Island and King K. Rool must assist DK and his friends to get the islands freed from Vikings. (Bowser has helped the Mario Bros. and Peach many times so this is not too far fetched.)

Top Bottom