• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
Personally I think Ryu looks really tacky and doesn't mesh with the art style well. I watched gameplay of him against Luigi and it just didn't look very good visually speaking. Roy looks great, though.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I don't agree with this whole mindset that you have to like every newcomer or else you're an "entitled, childish whiner." That just stifles discussion. Personally, I dislike 80% of the newcomers they introduced in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wiii U. However, the constant complaining does reflect poorly on our cause, so we should be spending more time discussing the positives of K. Rool versus the negatives of the other characters. Smear campaigns rarely work, especially since, whether we like it or not, these other characters have devout fanbases who would be more willing to join forces with us (hopefully) if we kept our mouths shut. Complaining about their inclusion isn't going to make them go away, so there's honestly no point. Be positive, people.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't agree with this whole mindset that you have to like every newcomer or else you're an "entitled, childish whiner." That just stifles discussion. Personally, I dislike 80% of the newcomers they introduced in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wiii U. However, the constant complaining does reflect poorly on our cause, so we should be spending more time discussing the positives of K. Rool versus the negatives of the other characters. Smear campaigns rarely work, especially since, whether we like it or not, these other characters have devout fanbases who would be more willing to join forces with us (hopefully) if we kept our mouths shut. Complaining about their inclusion isn't going to make them go away, so there's honestly no point. Be positive, people.
Generally my thoughts on the matter. We're entitled to our criticisms, but not our whining.

I've actually been pretty won over by Roy's inclusion because they did a great job differentiating him and his design is fantastic. Ryu I don't really know what to make of until I start playing as him myself.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
#ACommunityAlsoNeedsToSpareIt'sEffortsToNotCreateUtterChaosAsForExampleMeleeVSBrawlDebatesAndTheLike
#Ridley4Sm4sh

Did I do it right?

Anyway... as a whole, we should be glad to see such heavy competition for the ballot removed from the equation. Lucas would have pulled a lot of votes, and Roy would have too. Ryu probably wouldn't have pulled many votes, but he's a gaming legend so get over it. Those familiar with my postings are aware of how much I hate pretty much everything, so if I can be stoked for him then there's no reason for anyone else to complain. So even if some of you hate those characters, at least be glad that they can no longer pose a threat on the ballots.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
80%? Oh, you're getting close to my level of hatred. The only newcomers I actually play as this time are Little Mac and Greninja, no other character I like. Despite my Smash buddy saying I have a kind of annoying :4duckhunt:, I just don't feel much for the character. I used to like :4robinm: a bit, but ughh how slow can you get?

I have ceased from complaining too much about the newcomers though. Even though many know that the final roster was quite a big pain in the ass for me. To be honest, I would probably safe up money much earlier for a Wii U and Smash if it had newcomers I actually care about. Luckily I can play Smash at a good friend's house...

StormC

Smash Hero
I liked Mega Man, Rosalina, Greninja, and Palutena off the bat (and had the first and last as requests), and warmed up to Pac-Man, Shulk, Bowser Jr., and Duck Hunt. Villager's alright, don't like Wii Fit Trainer's playstyle at all, indifferent to Robin and Lucina despite having nice designs, Mii Fighter is a cute gimmick but not something I invest a lot of time in, and Dark Pit's eh.

Not as satisfying as Brawl's overall, but DLC could change that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really don't see what worth crying over to be honest. If anything, this announcement could be taken as a sign that it improves King K. Rool's chances of getting in. Because not a lot of us expected three characters AT ONCE to get released... this might indicate we are getting more than six characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm starting to think this huge update (3 characters, 3 stages, tons of Mii Fighter outfits) is because of E3. I don't think this will be a common thing. I'm expecting something like...

Fall 2015: Wolf
Spring 2016: Mario 6
E3 2016: 2-3 ballot characters, stages, and other goodies

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mario 6? Ehhh?

Also where are these Mii Fighter outfits? Anything interessting amongst those?

StormC

Smash Hero
Mario 6? Ehhh?

Also where are these Mii Fighter outfits? Anything interessting amongst those?
The sixth Mario placeholder found in the data. The first four are Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu.

And off the top of my head, I saw Zero and Isabelle outfits. I know there's more.

D

Deleted member

The sixth Mario placeholder found in the data. The first four are Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu.

And off the top of my head, I saw Zero and Isabelle outfits. I know there's more.
For Mii costumes, I also saw Heihachi and Akira.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
i'll give ryu a shot. I saw someone streaming live of roy, lucas and ryu. Ryu looks pretty cool and i love his music and stage. roy's new design is amazing, i'll admit that... but that doesn't change how i feel about him. i'll only buy roy is k rool is in the game

Zynux

Smash Lord
You guys need to stop whining whenever a non K.Rool character gets in.

A lot of you guys whined about Lucas.

You're whining now.

This isn't helping your cause.

It's hurting it big time.

Show a little positivity.
Nice generalization there.

You seem to have conveniently ignored all the posts that were wither hype for the new characters or saw how this doesn't change anything and focused on the few negative people, as pre usual.

This fanbase isn't a hivemind.

#ACommunityNeedsToMakeSureThatTheyDon'tEarnTheIreOfOtherCommunitiesForTrivialReasons
Why

Some people like Roy and Ryu. Some are indifferent. Some are against.

Who cares what others think? If they can't see others as individuals with their own individual opinions but instead generalize them all together then they aren't worth anyone's time.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
80%? Oh, you're getting close to my level of hatred. The only newcomers I actually play as this time are Little Mac and Greninja, no other character I like. Despite my Smash buddy saying I have a kind of annoying :4duckhunt:, I just don't feel much for the character. I used to like :4robinm: a bit, but ughh how slow can you get?

I have ceased from complaining too much about the newcomers though. Even though many know that the final roster was quite a big pain in the *** for me. To be honest, I would probably safe up money much earlier for a Wii U and Smash if it had newcomers I actually care about. Luckily I can play Smash at a good friend's house...
RealTalk
Also i think DLC will only last this year. Then thats it.
Do you guys really think they will be more characters next year? Come on..
Also Ryu looks high tier for sure.. but not seen his recovery yet.
I expect alotta super armour like mac but actually have a air game but not so fast as mac on the ground ofc.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
You know, what if K.Rool is revealed at this year's E3? We already have precedent for newcomer DLC with Ryu, K.Rool is clearly dominating a lot of polls and is probably one of the most requested viable options...we could literally get the Kremling King, King Koopa, Demon King and King of Dreamland in the same game.

I also imagine that a 4-way King Battle would be the first thing everyone would do outside of the obligatory DK/K.Rool battle. :p

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
we could literally get the Kremling King, King Koopa, Demon King and King of Dreamland in the same game.

I also imagine that a 4-way King Battle would be the first thing everyone would do outside of the obligatory DK/K.Rool battle. :p
That's been my plan from the start. :laugh: And in the Wii U version, I'll have a match that crams in as many of the game's royalty as possible, using the 8-player mode (actually, would eight cover all of them?).

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
That's been my plan from the start. :laugh: And in the Wii U version, I'll have a match that crams in as many of the game's royalty as possible, using the 8-player mode (actually, would eight cover all of them?).
Bowser, Dedede, Ganondorf, Bowser Jr., K.Rool, Lucina, Peach, Zelda and Rosalina, so not quite enough slots even with eight fighters. :p

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
:4marth: The Hero King
:4feroy: The Prince of Flame
Aaah, I don't play Fire Emblem, so I forgot they were royalty. :p

There's more royalty in Smash than there are antagonists. This needs rectifying.
Wait.
What if the poor programing of the Pyrosphere Ridley was an elaborate scheme to determine fan demand for him, and Sakurai will reveal him and K.Rool at this year's E3?

IT'S A KONSPIRACY, I TELLS YAH! A CONSPIRACYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Aaah, I don't play Fire Emblem, so I forgot they were royalty. :p

There's more royalty in Smash than there are antagonists. This needs rectifying.
Wait.
What if the poor programing of the Pyrosphere Ridley was an elaborate scheme to determine fan demand for him, and Sakurai will reveal him and K.Rool at this year's E3?

IT'S A KONSPIRACY, I TELLS YAH! A CONSPIRACYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
It's Fire Emblem.
If you're a protagonist, you either ARE royalty or will marry INTO royalty (or be elected queen of a kingdom you aren't even a legal citizen of because you're MICI FRIGGIN SUE)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Also i think DLC will only last this year. Then thats it.
Do you guys really think they will be more characters next year? Come on..
Mario Kart 8 is already getting more characters. Why else would the ballot run half a year? They can't just push out 2-3 ballot winners in a month.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
i REALLY don't think we will wait 1 year to get ballot characters...
Yeah it will in many if not most cases. Non-clone characters take a longggggggggggg time to make and finalize, especially since a large part of the Smash 4 staff isn't working on the DLC.

Mewtwo came out like 5 months after Smash Wii U came out and 8 months after Smash 3DS came out. Most of his playstyle and whatnot is ported from Melee, and his only new attack is his Final Smash. Now I'm pretty sure Mewtwo was planned as the first DLC (and maybe only) character from Day 1 and held off for then, so if he took that long, that should tell you something.

Ryu to me seems evident that he was developed beforehand, because there's no way they just began working on him theoretically. That's the only explanation for him being added so quickly, although obviously Lucas being a kinda sorta semi-clone and Roy a (somewhat decloned) clone (and both borrowing tons of properties from Ness and Marth/Lucina) had something to do with it.

Like that Bamco listed back in 2014 stated, this is gonna be a multi-year plan. So if K. Rool wasn't worked on or planned beforehand and gets in solely on the poll, expect to wait to see him in a trailer until late 2015 at the very earliest (if you're insanely lucky; I'm talking like Mewtwo's announcement bare bones though), and playable in the latter part of 2016. If K. Rool was worked on before that, well then I don't know what to expect, because we don't know how long he was worked on or theorized beforehand.

We're likely to see DLC well into 2017, so strap on. It's gonna be a long and bumpy ride.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yeah it will in many if not most cases. Non-clone characters take a longggggggggggg time to make and finalize, especially since a large part of the Smash 4 staff isn't working on the DLC.

Mewtwo came out like 5 months after Smash Wii U came out and 8 months after Smash 3DS came out. Most of his playstyle and whatnot is ported from Melee, and his only new attack is his Final Smash. Now I'm pretty sure Mewtwo was planned as the first DLC (and maybe only) character from Day 1 and held off for then, so if he took that long, that should tell you something.

Ryu to me seems evident that he was developed beforehand, because there's no way they just began working on him theoretically. That's the only explanation for him being added so quickly, although obviously Lucas being a kinda sorta semi-clone and Roy a (somewhat decloned) clone (and both borrowing tons of properties from Ness and Marth/Lucina) had something to do with it.

Like that Bamco listed back in 2014 stated, this is gonna be a multi-year plan. So if K. Rool wasn't worked on or planned beforehand and gets in solely on the poll, expect to wait to see him in a trailer until late 2015 at the very earliest (if you're insanely lucky; I'm talking like Mewtwo's announcement bare bones though), and playable in the latter part of 2016. If K. Rool was worked on before that, well then I don't know what to expect, because we don't know how long he was worked on or theorized beforehand.

We're likely to see DLC well into 2017, so strap on. It's gonna be a long and bumpy ride.
Juuuust to say.

Sakurai stated Melee data is too old to really use, so :4mewtwo: & :4feroy: (and to a lesser extent :4drmario:) had to be crafted up from scratch but with Melee as a "template."

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Juuuust to say.

Sakurai stated Melee data is too old to really use, so :4mewtwo: & :4feroy: (and to a lesser extent :4drmario:) had to be crafted up from scratch but with Melee as a "template."
That's true for Mewtwo. Still, they didn't have to do much planning for him. They literally knew every move he was going to use and how to build him, since they already did it in Melee. That means they skipped a lot of steps, which made their work much easier.

As for Roy and Dr. Mario, both characters borrowed most of the move properties from Lucina/Marth and Mario/Luigi (which were then modified, especially Roy's), so that made the work much easier.
@ Dastardly Ridleylash Dastardly Ridleylash ; @ Burruni Burruni ; @ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA - I guess I'll have to rotate a few of them in and out of the battles! This means multiple Royal Rumbles, which is fine by me. :b:
MAGGLE did that KROKODILE with the KROWN just do a KRAZY jump off the barricade after getting KRUSHED and KO SLAMMED there!?!?!?

That's incredible MAGGLE!!!

That DLC for both characters is well worth the full $9.99 I paid for it MAGGLE, the 1 cent tip included MAGGLE!!!

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, Pokemon already have actual moves in movesets to base off of.
Greninja didn't even have a name when Sakurai started working on him, though. Most of his moves are made up.

I'd bet dollars to donuts this was the art Sakurai received from the Pokemon Company for the character:

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't think we can necessarily assume it will take that much longer to come up with the character's moves. Sakurai claims Greninja's moves, attacks, and poses were drafted in one night by him.

We need an interview from Sakurai to figure out exactly when and why Ryu was developed.
Greninja, like Rosalina, Little Mac, Mii Fighters, and a few other characters, had skillsets taken from other fighting game characters. The Smash 4 development team (namely the staff returning from working on Brawl) probably also had leftover moves from Pokemon he wanted to implement or had discussed implementing in past Smash games.

Also, being "drafted" isn't the same as being "finished." The pre-production process of hammering it all out takes a lot longer than one night. Even then, Greninja had been worked on well over a year before his reveal.

I'm sure Ryu probably didn't take quite as long as Greninja's whole moveset process did (since we know what his moves work like... in actual fighting games, but the entire dynamic of it was quite different.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The Smash 4 development team (namely the staff returning from working on Brawl) probably also had leftover moves from Pokemon he wanted to implement or had discussed implementing in past Smash games.
What? That's just baseless speculation.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It seems I missed out on the day's festivities. I don't really care about Roy, but on the other hand, Ryu looks really cool. Though I like to see more footage of him. Think about it, there are two less roadblocks for the K. Rool train. Wolf will most likely be the next character revealed soon, probably at E3. I see more positives than negatives coming out of this.

The Kaptain's chances of being confirmed are as good as ever IMO.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What? That's just baseless speculation.
Considering before Smash 4's development there had been a grand total of 8 playable Pokemon, it's not exactly baseless.

There had to be tons of attack ideas left out. For example, Greninja uses Hydro Blast and various water attacks that Squirtle could have easily used.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace

So you guys thought I was kidding about K. Rool being in Jurassic World. Screenshot DIRECTLY from the movie right here. Confirmed.

Top Bottom