• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

The Flying Brick

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, K. Rool and Ganondorf have more in common than people might think. The only difference I can name apart from appearance is that where Ganondorf is a more calculating villain, K. Rool is more insane. Heck, they're both green!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ugh, I ****ing hate comparisons to Wart. K. Rool should be compared to Ganondorf if anyone. Ganondorf, and even Ganon, were both completely missing between Twilight Princess (2006) and Link Between Worlds (2013), barring re-releases, and even then Ganon had only a minimal presence in Link Between Worlds. Naturally, both are also the main antagonists of the respective franchises.
That still makes me stop and think. It's totally true, but people seldom stop and consider that that's the case.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Amazing, the difference a Smash character appearance can make between "oh, it doesn't matter that he's not in new games, he's a popular, important villain" and "he's not the main villain, he's retired and isn't all that popular to begin with, otherwise he'd be in by now."

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's not compared more because Ganon is a veteran. If K. Rool was, you can guarantee that people wouldn't use his absence against him.
That's exactly it, yeah. Funny how that works. Makes me want to see the Kremling King in Smash even more now!

It never ceases to amaze me just how popular he actually is, despite the fact that it really shouldn't be that incredible at all. Uneducated urchin that I was, I always used to think that K. Rool was important as a "secondary" villain Nintendo's canon and didn't give him the time of day that he deserves - glad to be proved wrong and that you fine folk can learn me some Kremling-style manners.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah people try using double standards against K.Rool. I don't get why people can't just say, "Meh, I don't care for X character, but they have their merits."

Frankly, K.Rool is the big villain of DK. He's the equivalent of Bowser or Ganondorf. I like K.Rool and think he has his merits to get in. He might not be my #1, but I would be extremely please to see him in Smash. He's the one villain that I personally think needs to get added. Or at the very least, get back in action in the DK series itself.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Amazing, the difference a Smash character appearance can make between "oh, it doesn't matter that he's not in new games, he's a popular, important villain" and "he's not the main villain, he's retired and isn't all that popular to begin with, otherwise he'd be in by now."
The big thing here is, if it wasn't for the Rare buyout, K. Rool would've definitely been in Brawl and Diddy Kong would've been in Melee.

Yeah people try using double standards against K.Rool. I don't get why people can't just say, "Meh, I don't care for X character, but they have their merits."

Frankly, K.Rool is the big villain of DK. He's the equivalent of Bowser or Ganondorf. I like K.Rool and think he has his merits to get in. He might not be my #1, but I would be extremely please to see him in Smash. He's the one villain that I personally think needs to get added. Or at the very least, get back in action in the DK series itself.
The DK franchise is the biggest franchise not to have its full core cast yet. Zelda has the Triforce (along with two variants of the Triforce), Mario has its four main characters along with rising stars, two of Mario's subfranchises have their own characters (Wario/Yoshi), Kirby has its core cast, DK is really the only one of Nintendo's biggest franchises to not have its core cast yet. DK, Diddy, K. Rool, and Dixie.

Dixie is a pretty big name too and I'd consider her part of the core DK cast, being the only other character to star in her own game.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Ugh, I ****ing hate comparisons to Wart. K. Rool should be compared to Ganondorf if anyone. Ganondorf, and even Ganon, were both completely missing between Twilight Princess (2006) and Link Between Worlds (2013), barring re-releases, and even then Ganon had only a minimal presence in Link Between Worlds. Naturally, both are also the main antagonists of the respective franchises.
Wow, I never actually considered that. Quite an interesting (and accurate!) comparison.
But here's a generic counterpoint: Ganondorf was added to Smash when he was still "relevant", whereas K. Rool was not. As a result, K. Rool has missed his chance.
I don't actually believe the above, but I feel like it could come up.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Wow, I never actually considered that. Quite an interesting (and accurate!) comparison.
But here's a generic counterpoint: Ganondorf was added to Smash when he was still "relevant", whereas K. Rool was not. As a result, K. Rool has missed his chance.
I don't actually believe the above, but I feel like it could come up.
Ganondorf still is relevant though. He was in both Wind Waker HD and Hyrule Warriors and I would bet money on him being the main antagonist in Zelda U. If only Smash 64 had more resources and time or Microsoft weren't complete jerk-offs (oh there it is again) we coulda had K. Rool in Melee. We just have to keep making our voices heard and recruit as many Kutthroats as we possibly can! K. Rool still has a chance!

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Ganondorf still is relevant though. He was in both Wind Waker HD and Hyrule Warriors and I would bet money on him being the main antagonist in Zelda U. If only Smash 64 had more resources and time or Microsoft weren't complete jerk-offs (oh there it is again) we coulda had K. Rool in Melee. We just have to keep making our voices heard and recruit as many Kutthroats as we possibly can! K. Rool still has a chance!
well wwhd was a remake and hyrule warriors is a spinoff, i don't see them as counting

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
It's a Monday by the way Kutthroats, which means another week of K. Rool Pic of the Day. Leave me some suggestions through conversations if you like.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Rereleases don't count, and Hyrule Warriors is a spinoff, so it doesn't count either. Ganondorf hasn't been in any new "main" Zelda title since 2006. He's irrelevant, get over it and stfu.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
In an alternate universe somewhere, there is a support thread for Ganondorf. In that same alternate universe, there is a thread in the veterans subforum for K. Rool, in which fans are steaming with anger that King K. Rool is still a Jigglypuff clone.

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I never understood why some people compared K. Rool to Wart. When K. Rool stopped appearing, he was already well established as DK's main villain. Wart appeared in the second Super Mario Bros. Everywhere but Japan got Wart for SMB2. At the time, Bowser was not established as the main villain. Once Mario 3 came out, it was clear Bowser was the main one. K. Rool is much like Ganon(dorf). Ganondorf appeared in Twilight Princess and even if you include Wind Waker HD and Hyrule Warriors, he was still missing for seven years. K. Rool last appearance was 2008. He's been gone for six years.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Rereleases don't count, and Hyrule Warriors is a spinoff, so it doesn't count either. Ganondorf hasn't been in any new "main" Zelda title since 2006. He's irrelevant, get over it and stfu.
Dude calm down. Jeez, you don't need to get so salty over someone's opinion. This is why I like half of the Smash community and hate the other. Some people just can't accept the fact that others have a different opinion than they do.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Dude calm down. Jeez, you don't need to get so salty over someone's opinion. This is why I like half of the Smash community and hate the other. Some people just can't accept the fact that others have a different opinion than they do.
I think that Jaidyn was just mimicking one of K. Rools detractors. I don't think he actually meant that last part.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In an alternate universe somewhere, there is a support thread for Ganondorf. In that same alternate universe, there is thread in the veterans subforum for K. Rool, in which fans are steaming with anger that King K. Rool is still a Jigglypuff clone.
Which isn't honestly possible because K. Rool is nothing like Jigglypuff in any way, shape, or form. It'd be Bowser or Dedede if anyone.

Lol, sarcsam. Raxxel is exactly right; I was being completely facetious. That's EXACTLY what K. Rool detractors say about K. Rool's history, claiming that spinoffs and re-releases/remakes "don't count," and ultimately K. Rool's timeline is restricted exclusively to the original DKC trilogy (blatantly ignoring the Land games, which are entirely separate games with separate stories) and DK64, dropping the rest of K. Rool's history all the way to 2008 as "irrelevant" because they're not "main" games (and I personally would disagree; the climber games were spinoffs, but those "were" the main DK games at the time, I think they SHOULD be counted, even though they're not DKC games).

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The DK franchise is the biggest franchise not to have its full core cast yet. Zelda has the Triforce (along with two variants of the Triforce), Mario has its four main characters along with rising stars, two of Mario's subfranchises have their own characters (Wario/Yoshi), Kirby has its core cast, DK is really the only one of Nintendo's biggest franchises to not have its core cast yet. DK, Diddy, K. Rool, and Dixie.

Dixie is a pretty big name too and I'd consider her part of the core DK cast, being the only other character to star in her own game.
Problem is, people don't view K. Rool and Dixie as important characters because of the caricature of the DK franchise they're familiar with. To them, "DK is a series about Donkey Kong and other monkeys going on adventures," and therefore, because we have DK and "a monkey rep," we're all set. That caricature neglects that there is an underlying villain driving the Kongs to go on the vast majority of their adventures, as well as another key monkey who's racked up a formidable slew of starring roles.

StormC

Smash Hero
He was being sarcastic. Maybe you're being sarcastic, too, and the irony keeps going...

Heck, they're both green!
ganondorf is brown, don't believe the lies

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Which isn't honestly possible because K. Rool is nothing like Jigglypuff in any way, shape, or form. It'd be Bowser or Dedede if anyone.
I could make a clone moveset for K. Rool using Jigglypuff :troll:.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Problem is, people don't view K. Rool and Dixie as important characters because of the caricature of the DK franchise they're familiar with. To them, "DK is a series about Donkey Kong and other monkeys going on adventures," and therefore, because we have DK and "a monkey rep," we're all set. That caricature neglects that there is an underlying villain driving the Kongs to go on the vast majority of their adventures, as well as another key monkey who's racked up a formidable slew of starring roles.
I know. But that happens with every franchise, honestly.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Oh, well sorry for not understanding the sarcasm. It's hard to tell when you aren't talking to someone face-to-face :ohwell:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That still makes me stop and think. It's totally true, but people seldom stop and consider that that's the case.
K. Rool's last DKC game was what? Jungle Climber?

That came out roughly the same time as Twilight Princess, which is the last Zelda game Ganondorf appeared in.

Oh, and Zelda Muso doesn't count, on 3 counts: 1: it's a Muso game, 2: it's a Muso game, and 3: It's a Muso game, therefore it sucks and was lazily done and is a D-grade game that's made for people who enjoy bad "press A" to win games, like Kingdom Hearts. #ShotsFired (if you want a real hack and slash, get Bayonetta 2 or Devil May Cry 1/3).

Ganondorf has only appeared in Ocarina of Time (plus it's 14,872.3891134 remakes), the Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. That's it.

K. Rool appeared in DKC/L 1-3, DK64, and Jungle Climber.

On top of that, Ganondorf last appearing in Twilight Princess and K. Rool last appearing in Jungle Climber means they have 2 things in common: hardly anyone cares for or still plays the last game they appeared in. #MindfulMonday

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, well sorry for not understanding the sarcasm. It's hard to tell when you aren't talking to someone face-to-face :ohwell:
To be fair, I was being a little sh** about the way I handled that, but whatever. :D

That came out roughly the same time as Twilight Princess, which is the last Zelda game Ganondorf appeared in.

Oh, and Zelda Muso doesn't count, on 3 counts: 1: it's a Muso game, 2: it's a Muso game, and 3: It's a Muso game, therefore it sucks and was lazily done and is a D-grade game that's made for people who enjoy bad "press A" to win games, like Kingdom Hearts. #ShotsFired (if you want a real hack and slash, get Bayonetta 2 or Devil May Cry 1/3).

Ganondorf has only appeared in Ocarina of Time (plus it's 14,872.3891134 remakes), the Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. That's it.

King of Swing and Jungle Climber.

Oh, but King of Swing and Jungle Climber aren't "main" DK games, so K. Rool only appeared in DKC 1-3 and DK64. Well, the Land games are remakes, so they don't count either.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538

On top of that, Ganondorf last appearing in Twilight Princess and K. Rool last appearing in Jungle Climber means they have 2 things in common: hardly anyone cares for or still plays the last game they appeared in. #MindfulMonday
Don't forget K. Rool also appeared in King of Swing for the GBA (no idea if that is a main-series game or not) and I'm pretty sure A LOT of Zelda fans consider Twilight Princess to be the best or one of the best titles in the Zelda franchise.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Don't forget K. Rool also appeared in King of Swing for the GBA (no idea if that is a main-series game or not) and I'm pretty sure A LOT of Zelda fans consider Twilight Princess to be the best or one of the best titles in the Zelda franchise.
King of Swing and Jungle Climber basically were the main DK platforming games on the GBA. I'd say they do count, but detractors claim they're not.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I know. But that happens with every franchise, honestly.
From my experience, mainly the ones who don't have newcomers in a given Smash game.

How often have we all heard "Metroid is all about isolation" to justify Ridley's continued exclusion?

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I was just trying to clear up a discrepancy, D3 and MK are heros and I just wanted to clarify that.
Yes, sorry I took it a bit too literally.
So, I think this post will finally be the last post about Dedede and if he's a villain or not. (Or it will extend the conversation even further.)
The answer is:
Dedede is both, a villain and an antihero.
I googled the definition of an antihero and I can say, in games such as Kirby's Return to Dreamland or Kirby: Triple Deluxe, he is clearly an antihero, because he is one of the characters, who saved the world.
But in other games, like Kirby Mouse Attack, Kirby Mass Attack and Kirby Super Star he is a villain, but not the main villain unlike in Kirby's Dream Land. In these games he's an antagonist and a villain.
In Kirby's Epic Yarn, he is just a minor character, who isn't neither an antihero nor a villain, because he was just used as a marionette.

Conclusion: He is both, a villain and an antihero, but clearly not a hero.
I would consider him as a halftime-villain. Mostly because of his mean and selfish nature. And he still hates Kirby.

Until now, if the conversation goes on, about Dedede, I will ignore it, because this is the K. Rool thread.
I think they count, at least a bit, because we got a Ocarina of Time Stage in the 3DS version, if it was based on the 64 game, we would have got the stage in the Wii U version.

Lol, sarcsam. Raxxel is exactly right; I was being completely facetious. That's EXACTLY what K. Rool detractors say about K. Rool's history, claiming that spinoffs and re-releases/remakes "don't count," and ultimately K. Rool's timeline is restricted exclusively to the original DKC trilogy (blatantly ignoring the Land games, which are entirely separate games with separate stories) and DK64, dropping the rest of K. Rool's history all the way to 2008 as "irrelevant" because they're not "main" games (and I personally would disagree; the climber games were spinoffs, but those "were" the main DK games at the time, I think they SHOULD be counted, even though they're not DKC games).
One of the things letters can't do, is express sarcasm. And I have to agree with the rest.
I don't belive in such a thing as "doesn't count". (CD-i not counted :troll:)

The parallel universe theory says, that every case is possible, no matter if "K. Rool is a Jigglypuff clone." or "Mario is a K. Rool clone.". But I really don't want to bring this discussion in here, last time I talked about it, I argued with my brother for nearly 2 hours.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
:troll: JigglyRool moveset:
Up B: Sea Chant
Side B: Crocodile, in which instead of kicking, he head butts.
Neutral B: Royal Roll
Down B: Feigned Death

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
From my experience, mainly the ones who don't have newcomers in a given Smash game.

How often have we all heard "Metroid is all about isolation" to justify Ridley's continued exclusion?
Kid Icarus is about Pit's isolation, and yet we can't isolate him, his Goddess, and his Linkin Park fan self from their senpai and master Sakurai.
King of Swing and Jungle Climber.
Ahh, okay.

(I wouldn't know as I played neither of them)
Oh, but King of Swing and Jungle Climber aren't "main" DK games, so K. Rool only appeared in DKC 1-3 and DK64. Well, the Land games are remakes, so they don't count either.
So like Zelda Muso they're spin-offs=??? Still 1 more appearance in a main DK(C) game than Ganondorf in a Zelda game. :smirk:

And unlike Ganondorf with Twilight Princess, K. Rool hasn't appeared in a "meh-tastic" and over hyped game. #AgainShotsFired

(not that Twilight Princess is a bad game, it's just it's not an exceptional one, and it's not the second coming of Christ like it was hyped to be)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool's last video game appearance, not counting Virtual Console rereleases, was Super Mario Sluggers in 2008. Then in terms of Donkey Kong games, he appeared in both Jungle Climber and Barrel Blast in 2007.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Kid Icarus is about Pit's isolation, and yet we can't isolate him, his Goddess, and his Linkin Park fan self from their senpai and master Sakurai.

Ahh, okay.

(I wouldn't know as I played neither of them)

So like Zelda Muso they're spin-offs=??? Still 1 more appearance in a main DK(C) game than Ganondorf in a Zelda game. :smirk:

And unlike Ganondorf with Twilight Princess, K. Rool hasn't appeared in a "meh-tastic" and over hyped game. #AgainShotsFired

(not that Twilight Princess is a bad game, it's just it's not an exceptional one, and it's not the second coming of Christ like it was hyped to be)
Honestly, I'd actually count the Land games as "main" games, too (no, they're not remakes at all, they're direct sequels to each of the main DKC games). The Mario Land games are all counted as "Main" Mario games, so I don't really see much of a difference. I'm just saying that the general population doesn't count them.

StormC

Smash Hero
The Super Mario Land games aren't generally considered to be part of the Super Mario brand, though, since R&D developed them instead of EAD. 3D Land's name is just an homage.

The Donkey Kong Lands are a bit of a gray area, but I would still consider them spin-offs since they're designed as supplementary games, rather than part of the core trilogy (ie, the storyline for the core trilogy, such as it is, follows from DKC1, to 2, to 3, with the Lands' plots being incidental).

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
:troll: JigglyRool moveset:
Up B: Sea Chant
Side B: Crocodile, in which instead of kicking, he head butts.
Neutral B: Royal Roll
Down B: Feigned Death
Better yet;
Up B: Sings/dances to the entirety of "One of Us" and has infinite Invincibility until the move is done
Side B: Stabs with Blunderbuss (DOESN'T SHOOT IT)
Neutral B: Same Idea as you had
Down B: Same Idea as you had, but this time a GIANT BANANA COMES DOWN AND NUKES EVERYTHING

10/10 Would Main

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

Hey hyrule warriors ****ing rocks, and getting A on everything is really hard. And I own bayonetta two, so suck a nob #shotsfired

On the topic of k rool and ganondorf, the two ARE similar, but legend of zelda has a more vocal and open fanbase than DKC (at least in my personal experience).

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Sorry to be off topic, buuut... You know, I don't try to be a rebel on miiverse. I use appropriate language, and such, I try to not get banned... But of course, the administration is made up of idiots, or bots, and the way people are banned is so flawed it's ridiculous. You can see where I am going with this. Luckily, I have a Wii U... Would you guys care if I didn't make a K. Rool PotD for today and made two for tomorrow? If you guys want one today, I will gladly go through whatever trouble to make another account and post one today.

Top Bottom