• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's the only rational thing to do.

I don't know if this has been discussed yet (and I'm too lazy to check) but an interesting rumour/"leak"- while not really debated much on the forums I've seen it (from what I can tell)- poses a question in my mind.

The rumour in question concerns a mode in the Wii U version where you fight (with the Gamepad) as the stage bosses present on the specific stages. King. K. Rool named as one of them.

Hypothetically (I personally will believe it when I see it but otherwise sounds bull), what would be your reaction to that, dear Kutthroats?
It'd be something at least. I wouldn't be ecstatic but I'd be fine.
I've heard of this, and its really quite a lame idea. K. Rool has more than enough material to work with as a fully playable character.

Okay, are you going to seriously tell me that if K. Rool was in Donkey Kong Country Returns his chances for being in this game wouldn't have increased dramatically?

I'm not a detractor by the way, I want K. Rool in and I think he still has a chance (especially as DLC.) Maybe relevancy isn't the right word, how about this: right now, K. Rool is not as important to the DK franchise as he would have been if he was in Returns. DKC has proven that it can sell very well with out him (Returns was the second best selling installment in the series.) If K. Rool becomes a focal point of the series again, then his chances of getting into Smash Bros. will increase, although it would be possible for him to get in regardless.
Of course his chances would've increased dramatically (95% of the fandom would think he's a shoe-in), but people are acting like its impossible for K. Rool to get in because he wasn't. The fact is that K. Rool has a long history of being the main antagonist of the DK series, appearing in every DK main game until Returns and every spinoff except for Jungle Beat (barring Mario crossovers, where he's appeared once). And hell, everyone made the SAME arguments against Diddy Kong because he wasn't in the primary game represented in Brawl, "Jungle Beat."

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
There are plenty of reasons to include K. Rool, but they don't matter unless Sakurai wants him in the game. I don't know why you're still arguing against a brick wall.

Redcard

Smash Cadet
What's driving me crazy about the whole thing is that K. Rool was the second most popular character in the polls between both East and West, above Ridley, yet Ridley is the one that's actually been teased at the most.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I've heard of this, and its really quite a lame idea. K. Rool has more than enough material to work with as a fully playable character.

Of course his chances would've increased dramatically (95% of the fandom would think he's a shoe-in), but people are acting like its impossible for K. Rool to get in because he wasn't. The fact is that K. Rool has a long history of being the main antagonist of the DK series, appearing in every DK main game until Returns and every spinoff except for Jungle Beat (barring Mario crossovers, where he's appeared once). And hell, everyone made the SAME arguments against Diddy Kong because he wasn't in the primary game represented in Brawl, "Jungle Beat."
I'm not trying to say that at all though. My original reply was to a statement made that this was a do or die installment for K. Rool, and I think that is ludicrous.

My entire point is that if K. Rool is not in this game, but he does appear as major the antagonist in the next DKC game, he will be extremely likely to be in Smash 5.

That's it.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not trying to say that at all though. My original reply was to a statement made that this was a do or die installment for K. Rool, and I think that is ludicrous.

My entire point is that if K. Rool is not in this game, but he does appear as major antagonist in the next DKC game, he will be extremely likely to be in Smash 5.

That's it.
This I fully agree with. I don't understand how people call call it a do or die installment for K. Rool. Granted, I'd rather not wait until I start my thirties to have to play as K. Rool in Smash Bros... :p

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
This I fully agree with. I don't understand how people call call it a do or die installment for K. Rool. Granted, I'd rather not wait until I start my thirties to have to play as K. Rool in Smash Bros... :p
As someone who was in their early-mid twenties during Brawl speculation and thought that that would be the last time I would be hyped for a Smash game.... I'm just going to say that I'm glad to have two of my most supported for Brawl (Megaman and Little Mac) become playable after I hit the 30 mark. Totally worth it. (Now about K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac....)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As someone who was in their early-mid twenties during Brawl speculation and thought that that would be the last time I would be hyped for a Smash game.... I'm just going to say that I'm glad to have two of my most supported for Brawl (Megaman and Little Mac) become playable after I hit the 30 mark. Totally worth it. (Now about K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac....)
Honestly I still think all three of them have a pretty good shot. I want all three as well, although I want K. Rool and Isaac more than anyone. Even If I get one I'd still really want the other as well, but that'd seal the deal on this game's roster for me.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I wish I still had any faith in Ridley, he is the only character in my top 6 that didn't make it (Isaac is 7, K. Rool is 9.) He was my most wanted first party newcomer since Melee.

I would be okay with Dixie or K. Rool. I would much prefer K. Rool, but I would feel better knowing DK at least got something in the way of a new character.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I wish I still had any faith in Ridley, he is the only character in my top 6 that didn't make it (Isaac is 7, K. Rool is 9.) He was my most wanted first party newcomer since Melee.

I would be okay with Dixie or K. Rool. I would much prefer K. Rool, but I would feel better knowing DK at least got something in the way of a new character.
Personally I feel like DK needs King K. If it's Dixie I feel like it's in the position Zelda is in, disrespected with clones. Dixie will be a last min clone in this game if anything.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Except the bolded isn't true at all, from what we've seen. Nothing from Star Fox, nothing from F-Zero, nothing from Wario, Fire Emblem, multiple retro and new series, and so on. Sure, "we haven't seen everything yet," but that excuse dies in a week, and not every series will have content hidden away everywhere we don't currently see it. Someone's getting the short end of the stick, and it's not Donkey Kong (at least in Smash Run), specifically its Rare era, even though "Kritters are irrelevant" is a ridiculously easy excuse to throw out as far as just using multiple Tiki variants and calling it a day, before adding in another dozen Uprising enemies.

Also, I don't understand why it's a Herculean task for people to consider, maybe, a "new" character didn't get in because they're "new," a reason Sakurai has never, ever advocated and has outright contradicted multiple times, but because they're unique, a reason Sakurai has gone out of his way to mention in the majority of interviews he does, they just didn't exist in 2005 or earlier for Brawl consideration.
I assumed that all franchises that have enemy grunts would get enemy rep, I guess I could be wrong though.

Also, I think people here need to learn that not every person who is skeptical of K. Rool's inclusion is skeptical due to his lack of recency. I for one am not expressing anti- K. Rool skepticism, I want him in the game. I'm even on the supporter's list (the only other lists I'm on are Dixie's and Bowser Jr.'s). I am however, skeptical of the idea that the Kremlings are a nod to his inclusion.

I'm not skeptical due to his lack of recency, I'm skeptical because I'm not sure of Sakurai's stance on DK representation. I think everyone can agree that in terms of rep Dixie and K. Rool are the two most likely (I think Funky was a wildcard option but that's unlikely now). To me it's a question of whether Sakurai feels DK needs more rep, and whether it's 1 or 2 slots. If it's just 1 slot, whether he'd pick K. Rool over Dixie or not.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd like to see K. Rool for the simple reason that, at least from my point of view, he'd be ticking off four popular criteria straight away:

- Heavyweight
- Villain
- Underrepresented series
- Popular choice amongst fans

I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not even a fan of the Kremling King. Damn it, though, if it makes you guys happy and it adds some diversity and even more niceness to the roster, I'm all for it!

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I'd like to see K. Rool for the simple reason that, at least from my point of view, he'd be ticking off four popular criteria right off the bat:

- Heavyweight
- Villain

I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not even a fan of the Kremling King. Damn it, though, if it makes you guys happy and it adds some diversity and even more niceness to the roster, I'm all for it!
Heh, don't worry about not being a fan. I have yet to play through a Donkey Kong game and he's one of my most wanted.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Anyway, what do you K. Rool supporters plan to do IF he's not in Smash?

Personally, I'd request Nintendo and Retro to include K. Rool and the Kremlings in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3... oh, and to make Donkey Kong 64 3D happen (I would love that!). I feel that's more constructive than boycotting Smash and giving it negative reviews (unless the gameplay was really bad).
My priority has always been to get K. Rool back in Donkey Kong. I was hoping Smash would do that, but alas it may not be so.

Yes, there needs to be more fan demand for Retro to use the Kremlings at least once. Hell, if K. Rool is an Assist Trophy or Stage Boss, then that alone may give him a much needed jumpstart.

The Kremling Campaign for DLC was a step in the right direction. I disagree with automatically defaulting to DLC to fix problems, but the Kampaign while maybe futile in the end will at least send a message that K. Rool still has a huge fanbase that shouldn't be ignored.

Oh, and boycotts won't accomplish anything. Smash is Smash. People will gobble it up no matter how it plays.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I have a question: What unique thing would K.Rool bring to the roster? Not that I'm putting him down, it just seems that every character seems to have some sort of unique attribute:

Villager: Hammerspace Attacks
Mega Man: Projectile Jabs
Wii Fit Trainer: Left Fielder and presumably funny animations to go along with each attack
Rosaluma: One-sided Tag Team (Rosalina is stronger than the Luma as opposed to Ice Climbers)
Lil Mac: K.O. Meter
Palutena: Magic Attacks, Major Wildcard
Mii Fighters: Customization emphasis
Pac Man: Unorthodox moveset
Lucina: Marth for Beginners
Robin: Resource Management
Shulk: Monado Buffs & Nerfs
Bowser Junior: Vehicular-based Combat

So what would the Kretinous Kaptain bring to the table?

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Does anyone else still wonder why Gangplank Galleon had a remix in Brawl? They could have just used the original track. Why make a new arrangement? This plus the random KROOL name in stage builder? New K. Rool-related stage music plus K. Rool as a stage name provided by the game? This sounds like some hint that a Gangplank Galleon stage may have been considered for Brawl.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Guys, I have a question: What unique thing would K.Rool bring to the roster? Not that I'm putting him down, it just seems that every character seems to have some sort of unique attribute:

*facepalm* Read the OP. I mean I love Lucina, but still.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'd like to see K. Rool for the simple reason that, at least from my point of view, he'd be ticking off four popular criteria straight away:

- Heavyweight
- Villain

It is odd that we haven't had a heavyweight newcomer yet and K. Rool obviously fits the bill for that. We've had at least one heavyweight newcomer in each game prior to Smash 4, it should continue that trend, right?

One side question though, what weight class would Bowser Jr. be? He has that Clown Car of his and I'm not sure what weight class he's classifed in.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
It is odd that we haven't had a heavyweight newcomer yet and K. Rool obviously fits the bill for that. One side question though, what weight class would Bowser Jr. be? He has that Clown Car of his and I'm not sure what weight class he's classifed in.
By the leak video it seemed he went out pretty early. I'd say a heavier light-weight.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Villager: Hammerspace Attacks
Mega Man: Projectile Jabs
Wii Fit Trainer: Left Fielder and presumably funny animations to go along with each attack
Rosaluma: One-sided Tag Team (Rosalina is stronger than the Luma as opposed to Ice Climbers)
Lil Mac: K.O. Meter
Palutena: Magic Attacks, Major Wildcard
Mii Fighters: Customization emphasis
Pac Man: Unorthodox moveset
Robin: Resource Management
Shulk: Monado Buffs & Nerfs
Bowser Junior: Vehicular-based Combat

He would be a heavy trick character. He would be kind of like snake. Set places up for people to get hurt in. He could launch a cannonball with a blunderbuss, which will settle down on the battlefield. Then he could either pick it up or suck it in with his blunderbuss. The blunderbuss would then make a little explosion if it got in the blunderbuss. That's only one move too. He could impale his opponents on his krown as he throws it. He could recover with his propeller pack, and if he gets hit while flying, he will then ricochet across the battlefield at the players will. Finally, he could turn invisible for a short time. That would make him a very tricky heavy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I assumed that all franchises that have enemy grunts would get enemy rep, I guess I could be wrong though.

Also, I think people here need to learn that not every person who is skeptical of K. Rool's inclusion is skeptical due to his lack of recency. I for one am not expressing anti- K. Rool skepticism, I want him in the game. I'm even on the supporter's list (the only other lists I'm on are Dixie's and Bowser Jr.'s). I am however, skeptical of the idea that the Kremlings are a nod to his inclusion.

I'm not skeptical due to his lack of recency, I'm skeptical because I'm not sure of Sakurai's stance on DK representation. I think everyone can agree that in terms of rep Dixie and K. Rool are the two most likely (I think Funky was a wildcard option but that's unlikely now). To me it's a question of whether Sakurai feels DK needs more rep, and whether it's 1 or 2 slots. If it's just 1 slot, whether he'd pick K. Rool over Dixie or not.
That second paragraph was a general one, not directed at you, didn't mean for it to come off that way (on the whole, skepticism is positive, just so long as it's substantiated). And it's been my stance all along that the revived Kritters don't necessarily point to him being playable, but rather to him having some role of prominence in the game. I'm fully expecting him to be "Large Kremling" if he's not a character, or maybe a Gangplank Galleon boss, but not just a random trophy again.

For what "unique attributes" K. Rool could bring to the roster, I'd throw out "projectie-based heavyweight," "trap-layer," "comedic/insane moveset," "lightning bruiser," "heaviest character," and "costume-wearing" as good qualifiers for that list.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
It is odd that we haven't had a heavyweight newcomer yet and K. Rool obviously fits the bill for that. We've had at least one heavyweight newcomer in each game prior to Smash 4, it should continue that trend, right?

One side question though, what weight class would Bowser Jr. be? He has that Clown Car of his and I'm not sure what weight class he's classifed in.
I correct myself, he went out at 99% I think after Bowser hit him, I think that makes him a light weight that isn't close to middle at all.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I correct myself, he went out at 99% I think after Bowser hit him, I think that makes him a light weight that isn't close to middle at all.
I see. I know that Bowser Jr. alone (without his Copter) is a lightweight, but I wasn't sure about the weight for Jr. + the copter. Thanks for the info.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Alright gentlemen, I hope you all are able to carry on come what may in the next week. We will go down with the galleon if we must, but we will never give up or give in. All hail to the one and only:

Last edited:

El Chunko

Smash Cadet
For all we know, they probably are. They're just not going to announce it until they announce K. Rool for Smash. :D
Agreed, especiall with all these reports of the DK crew being assist trophies

For all we know, they probably are. They're just not going to announce it until they announce K. Rool for Smash. :D
Agreed, seeing how there are reports of the DK crew being assist trophies

Edit: Whoops, double post

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What's driving me crazy about the whole thing is that K. Rool was the second most popular character in the polls between both East and West, above Ridley, yet Ridley is the one that's actually been teased at the most.
I like to think that is because Americans want Ridley the most, and the teasing is meant to be slightly sadistic. "Bad Americans, bad. You'll get the big dragon, but you will suffer first."

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I guess we will find out in like a week if K.Rool is in the initial roster *fingers crossed*

On a side note Smashboards crashed for me twice is something going on somewhere??

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I guess we will find out in like a week if K.Rool is in the initial roster *fingers crossed*

On a side note Smashboards crashed for me twice is something going on somewhere??
Someone was doing a report on the new demo.

I like to think that is because Americans want Ridley the most, and the teasing is meant to be slightly sadistic. "Bad Americans, bad. You'll get the big dragon, but you will suffer first."
Both DK and Metroid were put on the map by western developers. Xenophobic Sakurai confirmed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Also as of yet we don't have a SNES rep, K.Rool is the main newcomer other than Dixie that fills that void(Ridley is a NES rep, despite his 'modern' appearance stemming from super Metroid
I'm still hoping for Lip. But... this isn't the place for that :(

Wouldn't get your hopes up about finding out so soon, mate. I'd say by Holiday 2014 we will know...probably.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
They usually bring up the "cannot fight/no moves" argument and PETA... but I find it pointless to counter those arguments when Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are doing a fine job debunking those arguments... and who cares about PETA.

Look, if K. Rool is in the game as a playable character, that's fine with me. I don't mind him. It's just that I felt that, based on my personal observations, relevancy and recency had some merit for franchises that are not retro. I was trying to be objective.
Dude, the problem with this is relevancy.
Recency, absolutely. K rool has not been seen recently.
In terms of relevancy, he is the main villain of DK. Even to say he is 'not returning' is pretty presumptuous. Just in terms of the trend from DKCR to TF, we saw a lot of returning content. In just two games, two points in time, we saw a line, a trend, of what was going to happen in the Return franchise, which is, to continually bring more back to DKC.

I think the more poor arguing, from everything in regard to Marketing to just plain common sense of trend, is that K Rool WILL be back in them.

Therefore, even Recency falls to the wayside.

It makes more sense for Retro to not have included all the characters in the first game. It shows
1- They have ideas of their own
2- DK is a profitable franchise despite Intellectual Property
3- Fans will continue to buy into the franchise as new elements from the old series are added back in
4- In slowly adding these elements back in, rather than doing it all at once, it allows each element to be better appreciated.

The Flying Brick

Smash Apprentice
The final week is upon us. With none of my former mains (Ganondorf and Wario) officially confirmed yet and my #1 most wanted newcomer still on shaky ground, these last few days are gonna be tough. But I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I'll go down with the Galleon if I must!

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
But I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I'll go down with the Galleon if I must!
That's the spirit! Doesn't matter if our Galleon sinks in the ocean this time, remember our King was able to bring back our entire isle from the depths of the sea in DK Land 2! (even though Diddy and Dixie sank it again ^^'')

But yeah this is pretty much it, the final days are upon us. This song I think represents these last moments full of suspense and agony, the Critical Countdown of Hideout Helm:

Glory to the King!

Last edited:

The Flying Brick

Smash Apprentice
That's the spirit! Doesn't matter if our Galleon sinks in the ocean this time, remember our King was able to bring back our entire isle from the depths of the sea in DK Land 2! (even though Diddy and Dixie sank it again ^^'')

But yeah this is pretty much it, the final days are upon us. This song I think represents these last moments full of suspense and agony, the Critical Countdown of Hideout Helm:

Glory to the King!
Oh my lord, I LOVED that one! Really had me haul arse that much faster. As far as suspenseful waiting goes, I find this to be equally fitting:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I will also go down with the Galleon. I will serve my King till the bitter end!

Although I want to see the FULL roster before I complain.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I'm going with K. Rool til the end. If when our chances for Smash sink, we still have to push for his inclusion in the DK series.

Top Bottom