• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Inklings yes, they are essentially confirmed as Smash 5 newcomers, Shovel Knight however is definitely not on the same level, he has some fan support and one game that's considered good. Let him exist for more than a year, and have successful sequels and let Yacht Club establish an actual relationship with Nintendo before even calling him likely
I wouldn't at all rule Inklings out for this game yet. I still think they're among the most likely DLC characters.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I'd personally add Captain Toad to E or D and move Banjo to F, but otherwise it's perfect.
Also add Talim and Giana in S tier and Micaiah in B tier :troll:

On a more serious note, I'm not sure if putting Bomberman above Snake seems wise, but overall this list seems good. While it doesn't accurately represent my personal opinion on the chances of all commonly discussed contenders, he reasoning behind this chart makes sense and doesn't scream bias.

And since my post about an hypothetical new 3D DK title was mostly ignored (honestly that was expected because of these discussions about rumors lol) I'll copy-paste what I said:

[...] why not brainstorm some ideas for a potential 3D Donkey Kong game? I'm pretty sure most of you would love to see a new 3D Donkey Kong game whether you're a DK64 fan or not; while I like 2D platformers I feel kinda saturated at this point and I'd love to see the next mainline DK game as a 3D adventure. Personally, here are some of my ideas:

- Playable characters: Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky and a fifth one, possibly Funky. Donkey is available at start, Diddy is unlocked very early, Dixie is unlocked not too late after, then there's a longer gap to get the other two. All of them obviously have unique abilities, and learning and using them will be necessary to progress through the game.
- You can switch any playable character at any time as long as they're in your party, making it more practical than DK64. If they take too many hits, they quit your party until you find them back, by hitting their respective barrels (similar to how Diddy, Dixie and Cranky have different barrels in TF). Additionally, the overall level design makes sure that whenever you find a place where you need this specific Kong's ability to progress, there's a barrel for a specific Kong not far.
- Additionally, multiplayer mode in the main story allows different physical players to directly control one Kong each.
- Classic enemies such as Kremlings and Zingers come back alongside new enemies including new species of Kremlings. K. Rool, of course, is the main antagonist. Also bring back the cutscenes from DK64 seen from the antagonist's viewpoint!
- There should be collectibles, but collecting things shouldn't be the main focus of the game. They could rather be handled as bonuses, maybe to unlock new and challenging courses, similar to their roles in DKC2 and DKC3.
- As recruiting new Kongs in your party and teaching them new abilities is an important part of the game, some backtracking will be necessary to progress through the entire game. There also must be a good balance between exploration and challenges asking for pure platforming skills.
- Animal buddies should appear and be an important part of the level design in areas where they can be used. Rambi, Squawks and Enguarde at least are a must.
- While this should be mostly a 3D game at its core gameplay, there could be some occasional parts in 2D as well.

What do you think about those ideas? Do they correspond to how you would imagine a 3D Donkey Kong? Personally I tried to think about ideas that could make this potential new 3D DK a middle ground between the classic platformers and the DK64 collectathon formula, while feeling like the natural transition from 2D to 3D of the former and still taking some influence from the later. Not to mention Retros Studios already did an amazing job with Metroid Prime at creating 3D adventure games where your objective is to expand (no pun intended) the world you're exploring as long as you progress, though an exploration based 3D Donkey Kong game would obviously need a different pacing from Metroid Prime to work.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Wait, the Direct """"Leak""""" was given via NWPlayer123? Jeez... I have no real doubt then that we'll get a direct on the 14th, he's INCREDIBLY reliable.

Last edited:
Also add Talim and Giana in S tier and Micaiah in B tier :troll:

On a more serious note, I'm not sure if putting Bomberman above Snake seems wise, but overall this list seems good. While it doesn't accurately represent my personal opinion on the chances of all commonly discussed contenders, he reasoning behind this chart makes sense and doesn't scream bias.

And since my post about an hypothetical new 3D DK title was mostly ignored (honestly that was expected because of these discussions about rumors lol) I'll copy-paste what I said:

[...] why not brainstorm some ideas for a potential 3D Donkey Kong game? I'm pretty sure most of you would love to see a new 3D Donkey Kong game whether you're a DK64 fan or not; while I like 2D platformers I feel kinda saturated at this point and I'd love to see the next mainline DK game as a 3D adventure. Personally, here are some of my ideas:

- Playable characters: Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky and a fifth one, possibly Funky. Donkey is available at start, Diddy is unlocked very early, Dixie is unlocked not too late after, then there's a longer gap to get the other two. All of them obviously have unique abilities, and learning and using them will be necessary to progress through the game.
- You can switch any playable character at any time as long as they're in your party, making it more practical than DK64. If they take too many hits, they quit your party until you find them back, by hitting their respective barrels (similar to how Diddy, Dixie and Cranky have different barrels in TF). Additionally, the overall level design makes sure that whenever you find a place where you need this specific Kong's ability to progress, there's a barrel for a specific Kong not far.
- Additionally, multiplayer mode in the main story allows different physical players to directly control one Kong each.
- Classic enemies such as Kremlings and Zingers come back alongside new enemies including new species of Kremlings. K. Rool, of course, is the main antagonist. Also bring back the cutscenes from DK64 seen from the antagonist's viewpoint!
- There should be collectibles, but collecting things shouldn't be the main focus of the game. They could rather be handled as bonuses, maybe to unlock new and challenging courses, similar to their roles in DKC2 and DKC3.
- As recruiting new Kongs in your party and teaching them new abilities is an important part of the game, some backtracking will be necessary to progress through the entire game. There also must be a good balance between exploration and challenges asking for pure platforming skills.
- Animal buddies should appear and be an important part of the level design in areas where they can be used. Rambi, Squawks and Enguarde at least are a must.
- While this should be mostly a 3D game at its core gameplay, there could be some occasional parts in 2D as well.

What do you think about those ideas? Do they correspond to how you would imagine a 3D Donkey Kong? Personally I tried to think about ideas that could make this potential new 3D DK a middle ground between the classic platformers and the DK64 collectathon formula, while feeling like the natural transition from 2D to 3D of the former and still taking some influence from the later. Not to mention Retros Studios already did an amazing job with Metroid Prime at creating 3D adventure games where your objective is to expand (no pun intended) the world you're exploring as long as you progress, though an exploration based 3D Donkey Kong game would obviously need a different pacing from Metroid Prime to work.
All of those are good ideas for a new DK game. I would definitely be hyped if that kind of game was announced.

I'm assuming that you're referring to some of my opinions on other members' ratings in RTC thread.

The fifth character could be a rogue Kremling, who is helping the Kongs for whatever reason. This would hopefully open some doors to what unique powers this character has - jaw clamping is a must.

Rather than the big worlds of DK64, I'm considering the prospects of several linear obstacle courses, such as the design route the Mario 3D Land/World games have taken.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Lurking around the Mario Wiki, I found something that get me glad; Seems like Retro Studios has actual knowledge of existence of other Barrels besides the cannon ones and its variations (implying that Retro helped in the concept of this golf course, which seems plausible to me, since they helped with DK's track in Mario Kart 7);

it's really weird that DKCR and TF has so few types of interactive barrels... rarely you can find a generic one, and it doesn't even has much use. Things like Scorch 'n' Torch in TF, could have Water Barrels instead of the plants they put there (nothing wrong with the plants, but was a missed opportunity). I miss specially the TNT Barrels. Even PAON used them much better in King of Swing and Jungle Climber.

(ah, I didn't play Mario Golf: World Tour yet; I still have the interest tho).

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Personally, if we got a new 3D style game, I'd love to see the return of Tiny and Chunky as playable characters, since they'd at a base be variants of DK(stronger) and Dixie(pure horizontal recovery, but much further) respectively in abilities, but then with the shrinking and growing mechanics respectively.
Well isn't an amiibo an actual relationship? Plus Plague of Shadow is pretty much its own game (and it's good). But yeah, they definitly aren't on the same level. (and Plague Knight is the better knight)
Nope not at all, they simply bought the rights to make a product, I mean Activision is making amiibo's now, does that mean Spyro has any better chance to be in smash?
I wouldn't at all rule Inklings out for this game yet. I still think they're among the most likely DLC characters.
I still think they are far more likely for Smash 5, and would do better with no platform parity limitations and more development time. They could come out half baked as DLC, and being a hot new IP Nintendo may decide to save them. Smash 5 needs hype too

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Personally, if we got a new 3D style game, I'd love to see the return of Tiny and Chunky as playable characters, since they'd at a base be variants of DK(stronger) and Dixie(pure horizontal recovery, but much further) respectively in abilities, but then with the shrinking and growing mechanics respectively.

Nope not at all, they simply bought the rights to make a product, I mean Activision is making amiibo's now, does that mean Spyro has any better chance to be in smash?

I still think they are far more likely for Smash 5, and would do better with no platform parity limitations and more development time. They could come out half baked as DLC, and being a hot new IP Nintendo may decide to save them. Smash 5 needs hype too
I could see them not happening due to being too new, but I don't believe they'd be "saved". Sakurai is in charge here, and he doesn't even know if he's returning for Smash 5 yet.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, sorry I acted a little short the other day as well. I am really not a fan of when people dangle information or continually mention that they are "in-the-know" like, as one GameFAQs poster put it, schoolchildren taunting "I know something that yooooou don't!" I will keep more of a lid on my distaste, though, so as to not help derail anything in here in these coming weeks.

My demodding did not have anything to do with this, though. A few others got demodded as well; in a relatively calm period where there's no news, the need to keep as many people onboard as mods goes down. It's not a huge deal; if I stick around, I'll make the effort to get the role back, and if not, then this would have had to happen eventually anyway.

Of course, I'm still going to be vigilant in this thread; just because I can't hand out warnings and infractions myself anymore doesn't mean I won't instantly report anyone talking about "killing Sakurai over Ridley" (what the hell? didn't notice that, but that is NOT okay). We're here to focus on our King up until we can't do so anymore.
People should not be limited to saying their opinions, they just shouldn't say it in such a "harmful" way, I guess. Lets be honest, almost all of us here hate it when people always say "I KOW WHO IZ GONA W1N!!! I AN S0 REL1@BLE!!! " and that they keep giving hints about it. They do it just to get publicity and attention, while successfully waste our time.

...I haven't posted any remixes in ages, have I? Well, here's one from the best classic DKC and one from the best modern DKC.

Actually, while I'm here, lemme take a survey: what's your favorite Donkey Kong game? Anything from the DK arcade game to Diddy Kong Racing to DK jungle beat (though I personally despised every bit of that one) is fair game (rimshot). Tropical Freeze is my personal all-time favorite, finally displacing longtime uncontested champ Diddy's Kong Quest.
Either the original Donkey Kong (arcade version) or DKC 2. DK Arcade is what made me love Nintendo, DK, and support K. Rool. DKC 2 I like only better than the first because of some of the songs, Dixie, and the K. Rool boss fights.

I've seen some Skyrim mods that would make ya weep...

Also, @FalKoopa and other mods. Would I be infringing on the rules if I were to post a link to my Redbubble K. Rool poster/product?
(I bought the poster to test it out and commemorate my "achievement" and it looks lovely. Very nice size (418mm x 548mm) and good quality. I wanted to be sure it was decent before I announced anything. No pictures yet. Want to get it framed.)
I need that link now...

Troykv

Smash Master
I feel a bird calling me (?)

Favorite DK Game? I only played two... So... I'm unsure xD

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
People should not be limited to saying their opinions, they just shouldn't say it in such a "harmful" way, I guess. Lets be honest, almost all of us here hate it when people always say "I KOW WHO IZ GONA W1N!!! I AN S0 REL1@BLE!!! " and that they keep giving hints about it. They do it just to get publicity and attention, while successfully waste our time.

Either the original Donkey Kong (arcade version) or DKC 2. DK Arcade is what made me love Nintendo, DK, and support K. Rool. DKC 2 I like only better than the first because of some of the songs, Dixie, and the K. Rool boss fights.

I need that link now...
I'll post it publicly just as soon I'm sure I won't get in trouble for doing so.

Edit:
Are you going to put Luma in? :p
Yup. Bottom-right corner, poking into frame. (w/a raised eyebrow)

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Yoshi's Woolly World comes out on the 16th. I could see a direct on the 14th to help promote it. Hopefully they'll be promoting another green reptile in the direct.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wait, the Direct """"Leak""""" was given via NWPlayer123? Jeez... I have no real doubt then that we'll get a direct on the 14th, he's INCREDIBLY reliable.
Can you elaborate? I actually have no idea who that is. What makes them a reliable source, if I may ask?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yoshi's Woolly World comes out on the 16th. I could see a direct on the 14th to help promote it. Hopefully they'll be promoting another green reptile in the direct.
But what will they do about a Nintendo Direct for Europe and Japan? We got Yoshi's Woolly World back in June, and Japan got it in July. :p

I can't imagine a broadcast for one region only to announce Smash DLC from a global poll.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
In a lot of directs were Europe, American or Japan exclusive parts, so that wouldn't be a problem.
Oh, I know that - I'm just not sure if there's enough content for those of us outside of North America. :p A fair bit of content that a North American broadcast would cover is either already out both here and in Japan, or won't hit here until 2016. Things haven't been launched especially close together across the various territories this year, for whatever reason.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Let's be honest; There has to be something next week for us. If we don't get anything next week, I will be very concerned. And I mean VERY concerned. Nintendo can't keep doing these Yokai-watch/random posts in general forever and not have Smash involved in their posts.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Let's be honest; There has to be something next week for us. If we don't get anything next week, I will be very concerned. And I mean VERY concerned. Nintendo can't keep doing these Yokai-watch/random posts in general forever and not have Smash involved in their posts.
Of course they can. The post-release support period for Smash is, by all accounts, winding down, and they're quite naturally going to focus on promoting new and upcoming releases before the add-on content for a game that's a year old now.

I don't believe there's anything to be concerned about - that's just how it is. ;)

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Can you elaborate? I actually have no idea who that is. What makes them a reliable source, if I may ask?
She's a dataminer who has been on point with everything Splatoon, including letting us know when weapons drop early, and the sole reason why we know playable Octolings are most likely coming to Splatoon. She also did some Datamining on Mario Maker and discovered the Angry Sun from Mario Bros. 3 theme in the files, as well as evidence of a Kuriboh shoe in New Super Mario Bros. U theme. Her track record, though recent, is practically flawless.

She said that there will be a direct on the 14th, with Octolings coming to Splatoon as a new class with unique attributes on the 16th. Octolings look like they'll just be an alt skin for the Inklings though.

*EDIT* To Give NWPlayer more cred, she's also very good at finding unreleased gear. She knows how many unused placeholders there are for shirts, hats, and shoes in the game. She also confirmed that in a future update, we'll be getting the Octoling goggles with the seaweed eyebrows in the game.

Now, back to K. Rool. K. Rool K. Rool K. Rool K. Rool.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Of course they can. The post-release support period for Smash is, by all accounts, winding down, and they're quite naturally going to focus on promoting new and upcoming releases before the add-on content for a game that's a year old now.

I don't believe there's anything to be concerned about - that's just how it is. ;)
Yes, you have a point; the posts just coincide with the conclusion of the ballot from a week ago, which in a way is annoying and angering people. This is why I am saying if we don't get anything during next week, then I will begin to become concerned.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Also, in regards to the west, Mario Tennis is due for a major info dump since we haven't heard about it from E3, which makes me think it's possible it could be tied into a ballot character because one of the biggest things they have to show off is a bunch of new Roster members, K.Rool perhaps? Also more info on Amiibo crossing as well

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
She's a dataminer who has been on point with everything Splatoon, including letting us know when weapons drop early, and the sole reason why we know playable Octolings are most likely coming to Splatoon. She also did some Datamining on Mario Maker and discovered the Angry Sun from Mario Bros. 3 theme in the files, as well as evidence of a Kuriboh shoe in New Super Mario Bros. U theme. Her track record, though recent, is practically flawless.

She said that there will be a direct on the 14th, with Octolings coming to Splatoon as a new class with unique attributes on the 16th. Octolings look like they'll just be an alt skin for the Inklings though.

*EDIT* To Give NWPlayer more cred, she's also very good at finding unreleased gear. She knows how many unused placeholders there are for shirts, hats, and shoes in the game. She also confirmed that in a future update, we'll be getting the Octoling goggles with the seaweed eyebrows in the game.

Now, back to K. Rool. K. Rool K. Rool K. Rool K. Rool.
Appreciated! I didn't know she was the Angry Sun dataminer. Well, something to hopefully look forward to next week, then!

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROC FACT OF THE DAY: a baby croc's gender depends on the temperature its egg was incubated in. High temps tend to result in males, lower temps yield females. Makes breeding the rarer species pretty easy; you need a bunch of male Philippine crocodiles in this clutch to pair off with your females? Crank up the heat.

ChosenZelos

Smash Apprentice
Man, I've been lurking and not really posting for a while, but I have to say...

Damn bellboy.

You do some fine art. You've done a tremendous service to K. Rool. Keep on going! I absolutely love your style.

People who have twitter:
Tweet them out to Sakurai, let him see how perfect the King will fit!

*goes back to the shadows*

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Umm, I hope I don't called out or something but, isn't K. Rool, you know, 'groping her' a little...? I mean, look at the lines, and their positions near Rosalina's chest...

If so, our King is a cunning, playing, casanova for being so casual about it. :yeahboi:

But still, nice job on the art, dude. Looking good so far...

:bowser:

Umm, I hope I don't called out or something but, isn't K. Rool, you know, 'groping her' a little...? I mean, look at the lines, and their positions near Rosalina's chest...

If so, our King is a cunning, playing, casanova for being so casual about it. :yeahboi:

It looks to me like his arm is going around her waist similar to Lucina's, but I am admittedly not a champ of deciphering the guide sketch.

InsaneHippo

Smash Cadet

i think the lines near her chest were the sketch lines for her body/arm, and that his hand will be in the bottom left like his hand over lucina except a luma will be covering most of it

at least thats what it looks like to me

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
It looks to me like his arm is going around her waist similar to Lucina's, but I am admittedly not a champ of deciphering the guide sketch.
i think the lines near her chest were the sketch lines for her body/arm, and that his hand will be in the bottom left like his hand over lucina except a luma will be covering most of it

at least thats what it looks like to me
It could be the case. As in, his arm OVER the shoulder kind of deal. What you would do with a friend while taking a picture or something. But my basis is that, the more 'defined' could be the position of the hand/claw of our King. And would you look at that, it is at her CHEST...

But I'm no artist so I would know exactly if that's the case, so, if bellboy64 bellboy64 could clarify that, for funsies, it'd be appreciated. :p

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Top Bottom