• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Oh? Here: search up MrYellowLord on YouTube. It's the most recent video I uploaded. And like I said, you will appreciate seeing it. XD
Orange Zard is Scrub Zard.

Although Orange Zard is Original Zard, thus my favorite Zard.

Yes, I do very much appreciate it, thank you <3

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
on that note i still wish red charizard had his belly and wings coloured gold so i could truly call it smaugzard.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
There's really high chances we could be getting dlc in the next week or two, but I'm sure an announcement even SOONER, with a maintenance, and DLC is about due, or past due at this point. But I'm thinking we're getting MORE than just one character again. Considering it has been... 4 months? something like that?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's really high chances we could be getting dlc in the next week or two, but I'm sure an announcement even SOONER, with a maintenance, and DLC is about due, or past due at this point. But I'm thinking we're getting MORE than just one character again. Considering it has been... 4 months? something like that?
I think we'll hear info by the end of the month. I don't think we'll get more than just one character right away, but I do see possibly one newcomer in October (or just before), and another in November (Wolf).

4 months? No, its only been 3. October is 4 months.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
At this point in time, after finishing watching Phantasm, I want to see K. Rool cosplay as Tall Man.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
To get some discussion going, I had a question for you all: Do you believe that Mii Costume of K. Rool uses assets of an existing playable model with his awesome rare design? Trust me when I say this, but that detail on the costume HAS to be for something more. Besides, we all know how much Sakurai loves using old designs for characters (Pac-Man and Mega Man are key examples). What do you guys think?

Also, since this is related, here's a video for you guys about Reptile vs. Reptile (I think you'll appreciate this, @ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 . XD):

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XO5X-FKs9is
No.

This argument is and always has been straw grasping.

I personally believe the costume was planned long before the ballot. If K Rool is chosen then I'd feel confident in them using that design after this but I don't think the costume has anything to do with K Rool in the ballot, and certainly not that it was ripped from something in development.

Daily Reminder to Kroc The Vote:

http://strawpoll.me/5369874

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Man, this information drought just keeps dragging on....

I feel like this will be appropriate when/if King K. Rool is finally released....
image.jpg

(You have my nonexistent photoshopping skills to thank for this atrocity)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If K. Rool was revealed today, what's the first thing you'd do?

I'd write a long, detailed treatise on how excited I am to play as him and how happy I am for everybody that supported him.

Then I'd download him.

Then I'd wreck it in For Glory~ :3

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

I'd write a long, detailed treatise on how excited I am to play as him and how happy I am for everybody that supported him.

Then I'd download him.

Scream like an uber fanboy, do a little idiot dance while listening to the epic theme of gangplank galleon, then trolling K. Rool haters with Salty tears of my enemies memes, after that I'd download him and play as him as much as I could so I could get good with him and beat everyone online (especially Robin, Zero Suit Samus, and Sheik). Later, I'd celebrate here with you guys.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Then I'd download him.

This.

This... so much.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Then I'd download him.

I'd probably watch it over and over again till my eyes become red like him. :laugh:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I learned something new today, seems like gangplank galleon is older than we thought, here's the original theme version from the nes game "Pirates". Also composed by David Wise.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To get some discussion going, I had a question for you all: Do you believe that Mii Costume of K. Rool uses assets of an existing playable model with his awesome rare design? Trust me when I say this, but that detail on the costume HAS to be for something more. Besides, we all know how much Sakurai loves using old designs for characters (Pac-Man and Mega Man are key examples). What do you guys think?

Also, since this is related, here's a video for you guys about Reptile vs. Reptile (I think you'll appreciate this, @ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 . XD):

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XO5X-FKs9is
Yes, because the alternative is them having made an all-new model exclusively for a costume, which would be something that's never happened before and has no reason to happen now due to a quality model already existing. The model would have come either from the main game ("low priority characters without future games" and all), or from DLC with the costume as a way to tide people over until the character could be finished. Alternatively, the model could have come from a cut boss of K. Rool, though given the lack of an appropriate stage and the hate for bosses, that seems less likely.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Yes, because the alternative is them having made an all-new model exclusively for a costume, which would be something that's never happened before and has no reason to happen now due to a quality model already existing. The model would have come either from the main game ("low priority characters without future games" and all), or from DLC with the costume as a way to tide people over until the character could be finished. Alternatively, the model could have come from a cut boss of K.
Rool, though given the lack of an appropriate stage and the hate for bosses, that seems less likely.
I have to ask what makes this any more likely than simply wanting the Rare inspired design, which didn't have a quality model.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I have to ask what makes this any more likely than simply wanting the Rare inspired design, which didn't have a quality model.
Nothing concrete. It would just be a unique situation, given that every other costume came from pre-existing assets and textures. I question why they would put in all that effort for such a minor scrap of content.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Nothing concrete. It would just be a unique situation, given that every other costume came from pre-existing assets and textures. I question why they would put in all that effort for such a minor scrap of content.
Flying Man?

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai - "Baaaw, they're right, I hate this character so much, so I'm going to beautifully re-create the Rareware design with a modern touch instead of using the trophy model he has for this silly Mii Costume."

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
There was a beta full 3D model for the Flying Men, if you do a search...someone brought it up in here, even (on mobile at the moment, so someone else can dig it up if they'd like).
Right, right. I had forgotten.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
If K. Rool was announced today, I wouldn't believe it at first, and it would probably take a little bit for the hype to get to me since now would be such a random time to do it.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
There was a beta full 3D model for the Flying Men, if you do a search...someone brought it up in here, even (on mobile at the moment, so someone else can dig it up if they'd like).
Of course a full 3D model of K. Rool would be even beta.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
What about the 3rd party characters? Namely Jacky and the leather textures on his clothes? Also Inklings?

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
What about the 3rd party characters? Namely Jacky and the leather textures on his clothes? Also Inklings?
I guess 3rd party characters are unlikely other than Ryu and Mega Man. The Inklings are still new so it makes sense for them to get mii costumes, plus it was to help sell the new Splatoon game.

D

Deleted member

The concept of the costume being taken from some currently unseen model for K. Rool's playable appearance just screams "grasping at straws" to me.

I guess 3rd party characters are unlikely other than Ryu and Mega Man. The Inklings are still new so it makes sense for them to get mii costumes, plus it was to help sell the new Splatoon game.
That doesn't answer the question being asked.

Last edited by a moderator:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Regarding the mii costume taken from an unseen model, I think I agree with DJ3DS for the same reason that I don't think the Mii costume is a consequence of the ballot: K. Rool is an apparent exception. If this is really from another model already being worked on, why is K. Rool seemingly the only one to receive this "appetizer"? I don't find the substantive explanation given -- "they want to milk him for money" -- very convincing. That would apply to many other characters, too. Notably, however, we haven't seen any other ballot-popular characters added as Mii costumes.

BTW, I made this post on neogaf about why I think the "consolation prize" argument is unconvincing.
Regarding the Mii costumes: while ambiguously timed, nobody's been able to connect the costumes with the ballot. If anything, Mii costumes for other characters suggest the importance of the pre-ballot phase, instead. After all, according to SourceGaming, Heihachi and Chrom were considered as additions to the vanilla roster. Whether K. Rool was considered for the vanilla roster is unknown, but even if he wasn't, the developers may have noted his popularity. He was among the most popular character choices for the original game:
SMASHBOARDS POLL 2011 Poll Results (n = 700 Votes)
A Tier
1. Ridley (366)
2. King K. Rool (365)
3. Mewtwo (356)
4. Toad (342)
5. Megaman (338)
6. Isaac (313)

B Tier
7. Krystal (292)
8. Bowser Jr (280)
9. Roy (277)
10. Little Mac (274)
11. Plusle & Minun (253)
12. Dixie (252)

C Tier
13. Zoroark (243)
14. Pichu (239)
15. Samurai Goroh (219)
SMASHBOARDS POLL Early 2012 (n = 400 votes)
A Tier

1. King K. Rool (265)
2. Ridley (260)

B Tier
3. Mewtwo (248)
4. Isaac (232)
5. Little Mac (224)
6. Toad (217)
7. Krystal (206)
8. Megaman (201)

C Tier
9. Medusa (172)
10. Dixie Kong (166)
11. Samurai Goroh (150)
12. Palutena (146)
13. Bandana Dee (145)
14. Roy (142)

D Tier
15. Saki (135)
SMASHBOARDS POLL Late 2012 - Mid 2013 Poll (n= 2000 votes)
1.Megaman [Capcom] 1086
2.Mewtwo [Pokemon] 973
3.Ridley [ Metroid] 705
4.King K. Rool [Donkey Kong] 699
5.Little Mac [Punch Out] 689
6.Waluigi [Super Mario] 588
7.Isaac [Golden Sun] 565
8.Bowser Junior [Super Mario] 551
9.Roy [Fire Emblem] 545
10.Ghirahim [Legend Of Zelda] 506
11.Palutena [Kid Icarus] 499
12.Krom [Fire Emblem] 457
13.Zoroark [Pokemon] 447
14.Krystal [StarFox] 445
15.Shulk [Xenoblade] 428
I don't have data on hand about Smash demand elsewhere, but given that many of the actual newcomers we received (e.g. Palutena, Little Mac, Shulk, any Fire Emblem character) aren't particularly notable outside of hardcore Nintendo fans, any popularity polling that took place probably occurred on the internet in Nintendo fan communities. Anecdotally, the top 10 or so seem largely consistent across communities. But this is based on my memory, so I acknowledge this limitation.

Lloyd's costume seems more believably tied to Namco's role in development than anything else. It seems sloppy to think that demand for the character even approached K. Rool's, especially in the ballot. In fact, community polls suggest that Chrom, Heihachi, and Lloyd are basically non-entities in the ballot. Sourcegaming's preliminary observations of Japanese ballot "outcry" don't even give the characters a mention. Their Februrary observations only mention Chrom. Even then, he does not appear among the top 15. While you may object to the representativeness of these polls, one would actually expect observations in the hardcore community to overestimate Heihachi, Chrom, and Lloyd's popularity given their relative obscurity among "casuals" (especially the latter two). If they barely make a blip in observations of hardcore communities, is it reasonable to believe they received support from casual fans? I don't think so.

You might not agree with my argument that mii costumes were planned based pre-ballot considerations (including popularity and actual consideration for the roster). That's fair; the evidence is shaky. The point, however, is that there are other potential explanations than the consolation prize argument. In fact, my explanation at least has more evidence attached than the consolation prize argument. If the consolation argument were stronger , I think we would have seen more costumes than just K. Rool's. After all, most demanded characters won't be included as DLC. If these costumes are truly meant to act as consolation prizes, one would expect other more notably popular ballot characters to have shown up. Using Heihachi and Chrom as cases supporting the consolation prize arguments seems inappropriate given that the evidence we do have suggests they were bigger considerations before the ballot commenced. We have no information suggestion Lloyd was officially considered before the ballot, but we also have none to suggest he is a popularly demanded ballot character at all.

The consolation argument remains a possibility. At this moment in time, however, I think connecting K. Rool's mii costume (or any Mii costume) to the ballot is premature.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
The concept of the costume being taken from some currently unseen model for K. Rool's playable appearance just screams "grasping at straws" to me.

That doesn't answer the question being asked.
It does with the Inklings at least.

Anyway, If K. Rool gets in and we get a Gangplank Galleon Stage, who else is going to spend a lot of time playing on it as him while listening to all his boss and game themes? I know I will, I'll also play on Kongo Jungle 64 while listening to the GG version from SSB Brawl with him. I hope we get some new awesome remixes from David Wise for the special GG stage, the music he did for Tropical Freeze was just as awesome as his original versions from the first two DKC games for SNES. Heck, I think all the music for the stage should be from David Wise both new and original tracks.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I made a thing. I'm terrible.

Only getting around to responding to this now, but man, this makes me wish BiTF were still around to cover the K. Rool costume.

I was under the impression those were taken from some third party game featuring Jacky. Inklings' assets are from Splatoon, of course. If not, then he shares K. Rool's situation.

It's easy to point fingers and claim "grasping at straws," but unless you can say without a doubt that your proposed alternative is "common sense," it rings hollow. Wherever the K. Rool assets/textures came from, the fact that it's the only one in this situation is suspicious.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
At this point in time, after finishing watching Phantasm, I want to see K. Rool cosplay as Tall Man.

Please excuse the black marks, I couldn't find a pencil with a good eraser.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
For the ones who hunger for news. Tokyo Game Show is coming on 17th to of September and ends the 20th. Surely a much better place to expect Nintendo news than any PAX ever. At least its confirmed that there will be a showing of Hyrule Warriors Legends (I already have the Wii U version, but if there is something like exclusive Groose, I might have to double dip).
And if there is nothing new. At least it will be only 2 weeks until October 3rd by then. Hoorah!.

This post had nothing to do with King K. Rool? Err... ...Hey! Look behind you! A three headed monkey!.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Only getting around to responding to this now, but man, this makes me wish BiTF were still around to cover the K. Rool costume.

I was under the impression those were taken from some third party game featuring Jacky. Inklings' assets are from Splatoon, of course. If not, then he shares K. Rool's situation.

It's easy to point fingers and claim "grasping at straws," but unless you can say without a doubt that your proposed alternative is "common sense," it rings hollow. Wherever the K. Rool assets/textures came from, the fact that it's the only one in this situation is suspicious.
They would have had to take the textures from a none Nintendo game for Jacky's clothing.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
For PushDustIn's poll I've voted two veterans and two newcomers. For veterans I've voted Wolf because it would feel wrong to not have him back and while I don't care as much for the other veterans I've voted Snake as he is the best thing. And for the newcomers, I've voted K. Rool and Dixie Kong.

And while we're talking about the kosplay, one somewhat unlikely theory I have about it is that the assets are reused not for King K. Rool, but for Kaptain K. Rool. Sure, it would be slightly weird to have K. Rool as a different persona rather than his most iconic King one, but I believe it would still work fine, especially if Wario can work as primarily being a biker (I know many people are not fan of this moveset but at least it's a believable and working moveset). Being under the Kaptain persona would allow him to use his blunderbuss much more extensively without looking out of place (whereas if you use the regular King persona the blunderbuss will likely stand out like a sore thumb if used for too many moves) and guarantee his moveset to be fully coherent from a thematic standpoint, having a clear pirate theme rather than stuff that may seem random without knowledge of his boss fights from the source games. Even as a supporter of the character there's something that bugs me about K. Rool using a mix of blunderbuss, electricity, boxing gloves, etc. in a very Villager/Bowser Jr.-esque way, it's also something I don't see Sakurai doing; those two work because their moveset put emphasis on their thematical coherence, the former using things mostly inspiring the everyday life and the later has the clown car where stuff can easily be stored. I'll be perfectly honest, if we take stuff from the source games willy-nilly for a moveset, there's a risk that the final moveset may not feel believable.

ATM I'm working on a Kaptain K. Rool moveset, which will be based mostly on the blunderbuss and have an overall pirate theme, and when I'll finish it I'm going to post it. Of course I'm not saying King K. Rool cannot have a well designed moveset, as I think it would work just fine with two or three blunderbuss moves and the helipack recovery, but I think a moveset mostly based on the Kaptain appearance may potentially be more interesting to design and offer more room for unique creative liberties. For example you can even reference the Krown Toss from DKC1 by replacing the krown by a hook as used by the Krooks from DKC2!

(Of course for Villager I said mostly everyday life... yay sure the Lloid Rocket doesn't really inspire that. But if anything it proves that King K. Rool using the blunderbuss or the helipack for a few moves can work.)

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
They would have had to take the textures from a none Nintendo game for Jacky's clothing.
And? They are still taking assets from an existing 3D model. All of the DLC costumes besides K. Rool and the non character themed ones have had existing models to take from. As for the non character themed ones, those are relatively simple and easy to create. Notice how all the animal ones have been themed after furry animals? That's cause fur effects are easy as hell, take this from someone who has experience with Blender.

Top Bottom