• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Pakky

Smash Hero
My fourth vote.

King K Rool

Donkey Kong Country

He is a very important character in the DKC series and served as the final boss in the majority of the games. Along with that he has the potential to have an incredibly diverse moveset due to his many different and diverse personas. Clearly someone this important and unique is worth more than just a costume.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
my votes : K.Rool , K.Rool , K.Rool , K.Rool , Dixie Kong , K.Rool , K.Rool , K.Rool , K.Rool , today? K.Rool!

Last edited:

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
I just saw the worst miiverse post ever. Here it is in it's grammatically incorrect glory:
king k rool is not gonna be in smash. in one of the boss fights, hez really big. so its not gonna happen.
:laugh:
The dude who posted it is named Dad.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
To be fair, I do believe that the ballot is a suggestion box rather than a voting implement. That is not to say that the most popular choice will or will not be included or anything; however, writing out the character's name rather than choosing a pre-selected candidate makes me feel as though it acts more as a suggestion box. Along with the "what game are they from and why do you want them" text-boxes that are completely unecessary for a standard vote. It feels as though it is a tool to garner ideas. Albeit, an innate trait of this is that people are voting for characters that they want.

I just feel as though they wanted to keep the voting open, which is why they did not utilize pre-selected characters. But let us be honest, they are, more likely than not, well aware of all of the characters that are eating up 90% of the votes. So why bother allowing people to vote for the other 10%? My theory is that those are where the Mii costumes are coming from. That would insinuate that King K. Rool is a costume and nothing more, but on the other hand, I myself am not convinced that a costume "de-confirms" a character in the slightest.
I have a feeling many of them will get costumes, playable and unplayable.

EDIT: I dropped another vote for K. Rool as well (finally). Recently I've been thinking if he revolves almost entirely around the blunderbuss that'd make him more "unique," so I explained how he could revolve around the blunderbuss, though its more limited than what I'd like to describe.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think that the whole "people won't recognize him" argument is pretty much invalidated by :4lucas:and:4feroy:. They originate from Japan exclusive games, so any western fan who hasn't played Brawl or Melee would probably not recognize them. However, they might still buy them because they might find them cool or just for the sake of having the complete roster. I personally did that for Roy, since I never played Melee or Fire Emblem; then I found myself liking his playstyle a lot and now he's my secondary.

Speaking of the Facebook post, I commented on the Italian page(I'm from there :mariomelee:), saying that I voted for K. Rool. I got 5 likes. More than anyone else besides four dudes voting for Toon Ganondorf, Snake and... Scrooge McDuck and the Italian marines that accidentally killed some Indian fishermen.

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I've hit the 500 character limit in the ballot several times.There is so much more I want to elaborate on!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be fair, I do believe that the ballot is a suggestion box rather than a voting implement. That is not to say that the most popular choice will or will not be included or anything; however, writing out the character's name rather than choosing a pre-selected candidate makes me feel as though it acts more as a suggestion box. Along with the "what game are they from and why do you want them" text-boxes that are completely unecessary for a standard vote. It feels as though it is a tool to garner ideas. Albeit, an innate trait of this is that people are voting for characters that they want.

I just feel as though they wanted to keep the voting open, which is why they did not utilize pre-selected characters. But let us be honest, they are, more likely than not, well aware of all of the characters that are eating up 90% of the votes. So why bother allowing people to vote for the other 10%? My theory is that those are where the Mii costumes are coming from. That would insinuate that King K. Rool is a costume and nothing more, but on the other hand, I myself am not convinced that a costume "de-confirms" a character in the slightest.
My view is that the suggestion box presentation and Iwata's comment about "considering" all choices is intended to not be exclusionary toward a large chunk of voters who want to vote for third party characters and memes. Why cancel out the hype they can bring your big promotional tool instead of just quietly discounting their votes? Of course, the same words could be used as an excuse to toss aside the results, period, and just have Sakuai add whoever he wants, but at least right now, I have faith that if he says it's "fan service from here on out," it actually is. This may very well fall flat in two months. We'll see.

The other thing, about "they already know who's popular, so it's just to grab ideas and do market research"...do they really know? The Brawl poll was conducted in 2005, cited as proof of Mega Man's popularity in 2012, and we have no evidence of any actual Smash 4 poll. They don't need people to tell them that veteran characters are popular, but when their data on newcomers is a decade old, why not solicit more up-to-date data? Sure beats making educated guesses based on lurking message boards and getting spammed on Twitter.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
You know, Silent Majority theory is a funny thing, and hard to predict. However there is one silent majority I know of(and have several friends who are a part of), and while in one way they are focused, the thing is they are so diffused that they aren't really a threat. That community is the Pokémon community, a decent chunk who know of this, yet aren't active on smashboards or other sites while being huge. Thing is though they have a pool of nearly 700+ characters, and they are voting for so many different ones. So if you want a silent majority, it falls underneath "Pokémon Rep" thing is though, they are fighting for so many candidates, they are so spread out it's unlikely any will get chosen, unlike those dedicated groups who work together and spread the word around through the web and friends which includes many who played DKC1-3 as a kid, but have drifted a bit now, yet are still willing to back a character they love. That's why K.Rool has a chance, not just his dedicated nucleus of a fanbase on smashboards made up of over a thousand people now, but the millions of DKC and DK64 fans who have strong memories of him from their childhoods, and are being reminded by their friends the more hardcore fans that he deserves a chance to shine again and get them to vote. For you see the Silent Majority is not just a phantom that can help random characters, but also a focused force that is being wielded by the well heard vocal minority!

So we Kremlings will not give up, we will continue talking with our friends and fellow workers to support our King

Say, whatever did happen to that new video Mike Vs was going to make? also someone start spreading the Random Encounters K.Rool Way video again!(I have lousy internet at the moment)

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
My ballot vote I send in a few mins ago:

"I have just downloaded the Mii Costume, and while it looks incredibly nice, I can't shake off the feeling this is all what K. Rool will get, which would be unfortunate.
K. Rool namely has more to offer than heavy hand to hand combat.
K. Rool has shown to have access to nasty gadgets in his appearances as Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein instead of hand to hand combat like in the original Donkey Kong Country and other games.
This Mii Costume thus does not fully represent K. Rool and his vast array of weaponry that could translate in a trap/stage control moveset"

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
How excited will you be if/when K. Rool is revealed?

About as excited as my boy Benny here is when he finally got to build his spaceship:

"K. ROOL!!!"

Morbi

Scavenger

"I have just downloaded the Mii Costume, and while it looks incredibly nice, I can't shake off the feeling this is all what K. Rool will get, which would be unfortunate.
K. Rool has shown to have access to nasty gadgets in his appearances as Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein instead of hand to hand combat like in the original Donkey Kong Country and other games.
This Mii Costume thus does not fully represent K. Rool and his vast array of weaponry that could translate in a trap/stage control moveset"
I honestly have no idea how to approach the crux of purchasing King K. Rool's costume. As consumers we speak with our wallets. So, on one hand, I can decide to not purchase the costume to demonstrate that I do not believe a King K. Rool Mii costume is worth money; however, on the other hand, that may insinuate that I do not value King K. Rool as a character. So perhaps purchasing the costume will help King K. Rool as it demonstrates an interest in his character. Or it can hurt him as it demonstrates that the consumer-base is content with his representation as a costume.

Tricky stuff, indeed. I have not yet purchased it mostly because I do not use Mii Fighters. But if I knew it would help, I would certainly buy the skin.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I just bought the kostume because I reckoned, hey, any exposure for K. Rool is good exposure.

That said, if Sakurai disregards the mass interest in the kostume on top of the massive amount of votes in the ballot...

Well, there's a certain analogy about a wall and a conversation thereto that'd be appropriate.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sakurai is an interesting man... I'd be interested in writing a MBTI profile for him in the future.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Smash fans may forgo the chance to vote if their favourite character is already in the game.
I know some people who've opted to do this for this very reason. Also worth noting is that they didn't feel right voting for a character they aren't all that interested in, and potentially skewing things.

I think there is a possibility that we might some insight into the ballot results.

There are as many ballot sites as the number of languages the Smash Bros. site is offered in (that is, 13). I don't see why they'd go so far as to make separate English polls for UK, USA and Australia, or separate Spanish polls for Latin America and Spain otherwise.

:231:
Without a doubt, this is done for the purpose of garnering demographic data for each of these regions, which is (once obvious junk data is discarded) likely to be of use beyond Smash. This is why it's really important to mention voting at SmashBros.com, and not link people directly to the US page (which seems to be the most common one that gets linked to), as there's probably some potential for skewed data here to have negative impacts somewhere and someplace along the line.

My view is that the suggestion box presentation and Iwata's comment about "considering" all choices is intended to not be exclusionary toward a large chunk of voters who want to vote for third party characters and memes. Why cancel out the hype they can bring your big promotional tool instead of just quietly discounting their votes? Of course, the same words could be used as an excuse to toss aside the results, period, and just have Sakuai add whoever he wants, but at least right now, I have faith that if he says it's "fan service from here on out," it actually is. This may very well fall flat in two months. We'll see.

The other thing, about "they already know who's popular, so it's just to grab ideas and do market research"...do they really know? The Brawl poll was conducted in 2005, cited as proof of Mega Man's popularity in 2012, and we have no evidence of any actual Smash 4 poll. They don't need people to tell them that veteran characters are popular, but when their data on newcomers is a decade old, why not solicit more up-to-date data? Sure beats making educated guesses based on lurking message boards and getting spammed on Twitter.
I've invoked this part of this article before, I know, but Nintendo has been constantly recording customer feedback and putting it to use on a global basis for decades, in various forms. I would be very surprised if they didn't pull in some of the wider, but still relevant, non-Smash-specific data when researching and working on new Smash installments.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Ok. going back to the vote tingy.......

Question to all K.Rool fans out there..

¿Is K.Rool the ONLY character that you have voted on the Ballot so far? ¿Or is there another character that you have voted on the Ballot?

As for me, i have only voted for 5 characters so far.
Ridley on my computer, than K.Rool on my Ipod and after the kostume K.Rool on my computer.

About as excited as my boy Benny here is when he finally got to build his spaceship:

"K. ROOL!!!"
I would pretty much react like that too.
BTW thanks for the laugh, didn't remember how this movie was funny.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios

This...

"K. ROOL!!!"
Somebody edit this scene so that Benny is yelling "K.Rool" like RIGHT NOW!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just bought the kostume because I reckoned, hey, any exposure for K. Rool is good exposure.

That said, if Sakurai disregards the mass interest in the kostume on top of the massive amount of votes in the ballot...

Well, there's a certain analogy about a wall and a conversation thereto that'd be appropriate.
Ditto. I bought it to support K. Rool. There's no way to determine if buying it will make them more likely to think K. Rool should be a separate character, or more likely for them to think we accept the costume. Its basically more if you're optimistic or pessimistic where your stance on that is. Frankly, though, because we don't know, the best thing to do is to just buy it.

TheLethalPacifist

Smash Cadet
When the King gets confirmed, do you think they're going to pronounce his name like K. Rool or do the show style of Kuh-Rool?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
When the King gets confirmed, do you think they're going to pronounce his name like K. Rool or do the show style of Kuh-Rool?
Hopefully they'll pronounce it in the correct fashion, and not the TV series' way... I actually legitimately like the TV show, but the mispronunciation of K. Rool is one of two points* that I always seriously disliked.

*The other is Bluster Kong. It's just a pet peeve - TV shows based on video games often spread misinformation about the games as it is, and "Kuh-Rool" and Bluster are the DKC show's contributions to that trend.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Just tossed in my second K. Rool vote on the ballot, and I hit the 500 limit before I got to say all that was on my mind. Oh well.

"King K. Rool (and his various alter egos) would make for an incredibly unique fighter, as his multiple final boss appearances over the years showcase abilities that could easily translate into a Smash moveset. He could use his signature crown toss, launch all sorts of wacky projectiles from his Kaptain persona's blunderbuss, use the flying helicopter pack from his act as a mad scientist, and even deliver heavy blows with the boomerang boxing gloves of King Krusha K. Rool. This character has the potential to be truly unique, and I personally feel that he deserves the role."

Wow, after copy-pasting it here it looks a lot longer than I thought it was haha

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Hopefully they'll pronounce it in the correct fashion, and not the TV series' way... I actually legitimately like the TV show, but the mispronunciation of K. Rool is one of two points* that I always seriously disliked.

*The other is Bluster Kong. It's just a pet peeve - TV shows based on video games often spread misinformation about the games as it is, and "Kuh-Rool" and Bluster are the DKC show's contributions to that trend.
How can't you like Bluster, he is so benevolant! (actually, I can see why you don't like him and respect your opinion)

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
I honestly have no idea how to approach the crux of purchasing King K. Rool's costume. As consumers we speak with our wallets. So, on one hand, I can decide to not purchase the costume to demonstrate that I do not believe a King K. Rool Mii costume is worth money; however, on the other hand, that may insinuate that I do not value King K. Rool as a character. So perhaps purchasing the costume will help King K. Rool as it demonstrates an interest in his character. Or it can hurt him as it demonstrates that the consumer-base is content with his representation as a costume.

Tricky stuff, indeed. I have not yet purchased it mostly because I do not use Mii Fighters. But if I knew it would help, I would certainly buy the skin.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows that K. Rool fans are dissatisfied with this costume after the big deal everyone made about it. They would have to be deaf not to know fans were more upset about it than happy. The best thing to do is to purchase the costume to show support for the king, and continue to express dissatisfaction of him only being a costume.

If you look at it from a business perspective good sales for a K. Rool costume would only further establish peoples demand for the real thing, and unless Nintendo doesn't want money they will give us the real K. Rool if the costume has amazing sales. For all we know this could be Nintendo's attempt to see if K. Rool would sale to the casual audience who are the main consumers for costume DLC.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
How can't you like Bluster, he is so benevolant! (actually, I can see why you don't like him and respect your opinion)
Haha! :laugh: Thanks for the respecting of my opinion. I should say, it's actually just because he's not from the games, and he created confusion about the source material. As a character, I don't mind him, but as a character in a TV series based on Donkey Kong Country, to me he's just that one "made for TV" character who doesn't contribute much and just serves to confuse people (that said, having a character like Bluster isn't as bad as having shows like the Kirby anime, which are just completely out-of-character due to being expressly intended as a separate continuity, but which end up creating even bigger amounts of confusion).

Conversely, I really liked K. Rool's depiction in the show. He wasn't as unhinged as in the games, but I feel like it was a good take on him.

If you look at it from a business perspective good sales for a K. Rool costume would only further establish peoples demand for the real thing
That's precisely how to look at it. Business is very often a bit more black & white than people think - sales of the costume are much more likely to mean "This character sells", from a business perspective, than "We'll just make this and leave it at that".

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Haha! :laugh: Thanks for the respecting of my opinion. I should say, it's actually just because he's not from the games, and he created confusion about the source material. As a character, I don't mind him, but as a character in a TV series based on Donkey Kong Country, to me he's just that one "made for TV" character who doesn't contribute much and just serves to confuse people (that said, having a character like Bluster isn't as bad as having shows like the Kirby anime, which are just completely out-of-character due to being expressly intended as a separate continuity, but which end up creating even bigger amounts of confusion).

Conversely, I really liked K. Rool's depiction in the show. He wasn't as unhinged as in the games, but I feel like it was a good take on him.

That's precisely how to look at it. Business is very often a bit more black & white than people think - sales of the costume are much more likely to mean "This character sells", from a business perspective, than "We'll just make this and leave it at that".
I must agree that K.Rool in the show is magnificient, except for the lack of tail, blood-shooted eye and big cape.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm pretty sure his in-game name will be King K. Rool.

Doesn't change anything, just felt the need to point that out~

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If Sakurai did decide to include multiple kostumes for K. Rool, do you think his name would remain the same, or would he have different names for each kostume, as though his alts were different characters? Might be a bit weird if his name is King K. Rool, yet he can don his Kaptain duds if he decides.

Maybe he would just be called K. Rool in that situation. It'd definitely make it easier.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
If Sakurai did decide to include multiple kostumes for K. Rool, do you think his name would remain the same, or would he have different names for each kostume, as though his alts were different characters? Might be a bit weird if his name is King K. Rool, yet he can don his Kaptain duds if he decides.

Maybe he would just be called K. Rool in that situation. It'd definitely make it easier.
I don't think it'd be that weird. He's still the same character.

Top Bottom